Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Too early to talk draft?

Bayern

Waterboy
Allright....
I agree that a nose tackle in replacement of Payne and some good OL are the first needs for Houston, but I would really find it hard to resist a guy like Mike Williams if he fell to the Texans at number 13.
The guy is obviously a stud and when he was a potential pick last year he was rated right up there with Fitzgerald and Roy Williams and in that class would of been drafted higher. This year it looks like a few running backs and defense will draw the high picks, and Houston at 13th is probably too low to get a tackle like Alex Barron or DBrickashaw Ferguson. If Bradford is not going to be a Texan anymore (and I really don't think he should be) then it would be a huge step in the right direction to get a big fast runner to compliment AJ on the other side. AJ would not be drawing the double teams the way he is now, and maybe with another quality guy out there someone will get open. Just MO.

I might be asking for criticism with this post but if he drops to 13th (which is very possible), would you take him? :jumpbanan

MojoX

Waterboy
Nope, great time to talk draft, IMO.

I am looking for the team to draft either a DT, OLB, ILB, TE or OL (C or G). I think Mike Williams would be tempting but if he's available, I anticipate a trade down. The team is set at WR with AJ, Gaff and Armstrong. The only other receiver they need to consider is a TE who can block AND catch, instead of the cats they have now who just tip off the D to the play call.

I know Casserly want's playmakers in the first round but the team definitely needs a DT who can make the 3-4 go. Look what Wilfork is doing for NE. He is a playmaker, even more than stats can show. The Texans need that. With a guy like Wilfork, Peek and Babin will become mosters.

My eyes are focused on LB. We need a playmaker in the front seven, and especially at ILB or ROLB. I would love a trade up to get Derrick Johnson. I know it would be a high price, but a playmaker like DJ is worth it, IMO. If not him, then some killer pass rusher to replace Wong is sorely needed. That guy might be Peek but if a better prospect is in the draft then take him. Maybe a guy like Kiwi or Roth would do well.

Grid

All Pro
It would depend on who else is available. Hlatoi Ngat? Derrick Johnson? Ahmad Brooks? Three guys I may take over Williams.

Would I rather have Williams or Roderique Wright?

another good receiver may seem like a good idea.. but I dont really think it is necessary.. especially in the kind of offense we want to run.

With our Oline needing IMMEDIATE change.. and the problems we are having with our Dline.. and the fact that Glenn is getting old and we need a replacement soon.. I just dont think another WR is the right move to make. Even if he is the BPA, would I rather trade down and grab some more picks so I can try and fill my needs? i dunno.. its a tough decision. I just dont know if I could be happy about us taking Mike Williams unless we had already addressed the very pressing needs we have in other spots.

btw.. long as im mentioning Glenn's replacement. How about Faggins? he is coming along nicely.. He could be a starting quality CB if he keeps improving like this.. heck.. he may already be good enough to start, maybe not be tops in the league..

Porky

Hall of Fame
Williams might be tempting, but why draft another first round decoy for the dump offs to Dominick Davis. We don't use the weapons we have now, so what's the point of drafting another. Do you buy a gun, then buy blanks to shoot? In any case, I feel our biggest need is a mauler with a nasty disposition on the offensive line. Too many of our guys are "nice guys". Not one of our starters is above average in terms of being phsyical and punishing the defender.

I almost laughed so hard this morning, I thought I was going to wreck my truck and land in the ditch this morning when Steve Mckinney told 610 am listerners, that the Texans have a "top 10" line in the NFL. That's a good one Steve. Tell us another! :coolb:

You guys pick what, 13th? Don't get your hopes up about Mike Williams or Derrick Johnson falling to you. Mike Williams could go as high as 4 to Chicago. Even if Derrick Johnson got past teams like Oakland and Tennessee, no way in hell does KC pass him up at 12. :)

Of course you could trade up, and your team showed a willingness to do so last year with Babin.

Texans Pride

Veteran
Porky said:
I almost laughed so hard this morning, I thought I was going to wreck my truck and land in the ditch this morning when Steve Mckinney told 610 am listerners, that the Texans have a "top 10" line in the NFL. That's a good one Steve. Tell us another! :coolb:
You've got to be kidding me? Did he really say that? Man, I thought he was dumb when him and I went to high school together!

texasguy346

Mod Squad
I'm not sure Faggins is the answer at Glenn's spot on the roster. I think Faggins could take Glenn's spot until we get a better CB, but I think he's best used as a backup. That's not to say that he couldn't possibly start for other teams in the NFL because I feel he'd be a starter in Minnesota or Green Bay or any other teams that lacks depth and experience at CB.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Texans Pride said:
You've got to be kidding me? Did he really say that? Man, I thought he was dumb when him and I went to high school together!
Yes, he really said that! I haven't heard such jokes since Milton Berle and Henny Youngman were all the rage. :bguitar:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Maybe McKinney meant salary and not performance. McKinny is one of the 5 highest paid centers in the NFL.

Bayern

Waterboy
Lucky said:
Maybe McKinney meant salary and not performance. McKinny is one of the 5 highest paid centers in the NFL.

Wait.... what?? O.k. now I have a problem with that. No way he deserves that money.

Bayern

Waterboy
Back to Williams though, I just like the idea of multiple deep threats. I suppose the more logical need would be some angry linemen. Certainly no more cocky crappy overpaid centers like McKinney

Jesus.... can we get rid of this guy already?? He's the position I have the biggest problem with. Matt Stevens last year.... Steve McKinney this year. Hey speaking of which don't you guys get sick of his show?? I swear he never admits it when he has a terrible game. Top 10 line my left foot.

Bayern said:
Allright....
I would really find it hard to resist a guy like Mike Williams if he fell to the Texans at number 13.
The guy is obviously a stud and when he was a potential pick last year he was rated right up there with Fitzgerald and Roy Williams and in that class would of been drafted higher.
:jumpbanan
I like it but what about the line? Carr will have to dump to the backs while two great recievers don't get open.Ha Ha. what about Derick Armstrong? I thought he would take over for Bradford. His hands are made of velcro.

Bayern

Waterboy
NeViKaN said:
I like it but what about the line? Carr will have to dump to the backs while two great recievers don't get open.Ha Ha. what about Derick Armstrong? I thought he would take over for Bradford. His hands are made of velcro.

Armstrong is the only thing that keeps me from thinking we should go for Williams because we really don't know what he can do with the starting roll. I really like the guy and yeah his hands are velcro. Wish he got a chance to play more this past year. I dunno.... one more excellent receiver can't hurt, and he may just drop to us.

As far as the line is concerned, we need someone to help out NOW. I doubt any rookie in this years draft can get us an instant impact. Like I said in the beginning I think this is something we can take care of in free agency.

edo783

Hall of Fame
Not sure who or how, but I suspect the o-line issue is addressed via FA as it requires help right now. Williams is an intersting pick, very tall and good hands, but not very fast. Not sure how much he would help pull the defense off of AJ. Of course if we start throwing to him and he is catching it, that will get their attention. Would be a GREAT target in the red zone for the fade.

Bayern

What do you think? OL in FA and pick up Mike Williams to help spread the field. Our best "IMO" game was against Min. when we had to go 4 wide. It even helped us run alittle. Besides, Gaff got better only after Armstrong pushed him and maybe Williams would do that to the rest of the rec. core. Just a thought.

hou059

Waterboy
I would like it very much so if the Texans drafted a Defensive lineman like Roderick Wright. I think that Robaire Smith would fair a lot better playing nose. Seth Payne is in his last year of his contract right? I don't think the Texans resign him. Another way to go is secondary. I doubt Mike Williams will be available at #13.

jacquescas

Veteran
I feel an interior lineman can produce, the Chargers had a rookie center start all year. David Baas is someone i'd like to get in the first round, if we have to trade down to get proper value for him, then fine. He could come in and challenge all 3 interior line positions.

Wade is entrenched at our right Tackle, and the more i think about it, the more i want to give Wand another year at the left side. He was a 3rd round pick that had all the physical tools, just not the strength or experience. Well 1 full season starting should help with expereince and another off season should get him stronger.

I think the change has to be made at the interior line positon. McKinney signed a 5 year 15.5 million contract back before 2002. What is it gonna cost to cut him?

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Bayern said:
Back to Williams though, I just like the idea of multiple deep threats. I suppose the more logical need would be some angry linemen.
Williams isn't a deep threat. Think of a cross between Shannon Sharpe and Keyshawn Johnson.... Big target, athletic, with soft hands, but not a burner.