Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-03-2008   #1
junior
Veteran

Rep Power: 19 junior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famer
Default Schaub should not start Sunday

I know I crack on him a lot, but, I don't think for him it's a good idea to have his first start at Green Bay. I think the extreme cold could really hurt him because if the knee starts to swell or takes even a small bump, then the possibility of it stiffening up on him is too risky.

Wait another week, let him be at home where he plays way better than on the road, because if this is the guy they are banking the future on (which I wouldn't), then why put his knee at even more risk and losing him for the final three and maybe even another surgury.

I know you can't play or coach scared, but common sense should be a part in decision making. We are not going to the playoffs and even if Sage starts and loses we still have a shot at .500.

And remember I am not a fan of his but you still don't risk the long term health of your QB.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #2
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub should not start Sunday

Doesn't matter. He'll get hurt against Tennessee again.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #3
TexansMVP
Probowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Doesn't matter. He'll get hurt against Tennessee again.
Ouch...but it could be plausible.
TexansMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #4
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I know I crack on him a lot, but, I don't think for him it's a good idea to have his first start at Green Bay. I think the extreme cold could really hurt him because if the knee starts to swell or takes even a small bump, then the possibility of it stiffening up on him is too risky.

Wait another week, let him be at home where he plays way better than on the road, because if this is the guy they are banking the future on (which I wouldn't), then why put his knee at even more risk and losing him for the final three and maybe even another surgury.

I know you can't play or coach scared, but common sense should be a part in decision making. We are not going to the playoffs and even if Sage starts and loses we still have a shot at .500.

And remember I am not a fan of his but you still don't risk the long term health of your QB.
I know what you're saying, but at this point, I want him to play. Yes, he could get hurt, but that's the point. Let's find out now if we have our future QB or just an oft injured backup. I want to know now if we can rely on him as our QB or do we need to take one in the Draft/FA (probably will anyway) that is tough, reliable, and good.

I like Schaub and think he can be a very good QB in this league. But, if he is going to be out half the season with injuries every year, we aren't going to get very far as a team. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm all for him showing how much of a warrior he is if he thinks he's ready to go. If I was sold as Schaub being our long-term answer, then I might not be so heady on the idea of him playing if he's not 100%. But since the jury is still out, and he wants to show that he can go, why not.
Old 12-03-2008   #6
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i agree has well if hes 100% a rdy to go and plays well in practice then sure see what he can do but if there is any doubt i say let sage start one more game

TBO this greenbay game in not important

i wanna win the Tenn home game thats more important IMO
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #7
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm curious... since sage has played very consistently this year, (consistently mediocre) he may not get much interest next year. we may not have to look for a backup qb.

a side note: Nall suited on Monday. When was the last time we suited 3 QB's?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-04-2008   #8
headsplint
All Pro

Rep Power: 606 headsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respected

Watching the video on the dot com about Schaub preparing for the Packers, Dre, K-Dub, and OD all seem like they are excited about Matt coming back. They threw in the we support whoever is out there but reading between the lines it seemed to me they really wanted him back out there. I know AJ does, they have a chemistry regardless of what's happened. When Matt is out there AJ gets more looks and when AJ plays better we play better.

I don't think the coaching staff would put him out there if they thought he wasn't ready. I'm sure they know the season is basically a wash, so why risk it. I'm sure he is ready, and if we end up in a shootout with the Pack, Matt is our best option.
Old 12-04-2008   #9
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post

This is football and people get hurt. I'm sure the coaches and doctors know a lot more about his physical condition than we do. PLAY THE MAN!
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #10
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Schaub is able, he needs to play. By "able", I mean that the knee is not affecting his throwing (as it clearly did on the pick he threw at Minnesota). I can live with some lost mobility.

He has not proven he can stay upright, so he needs to get in and stay in as many games as possible to show the team that he is reliable.

We're not going to the playoffs this year, so we're not risking any short-term gains by playing him again. Long term, even if limited mobility leads to him getting hurt at Lambeau, he has the whole offseason to recuperate to be ready for 2009.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #11
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
This is football and people get hurt. I'm sure the coaches and doctors know a lot more about his physical condition than we do. PLAY THE MAN!
Signed,

Anybody BUT T-Mac.
Old 12-04-2008   #12
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I'm all for him showing how much of a warrior he is if he thinks he's ready to go. If I was sold as Schaub being our long-term answer, then I might not be so heady on the idea of him playing if he's not 100%. But since the jury is still out, and he wants to show that he can go, why not.

I don't put Schaub and warrior in the same thought very often. Schaub to me is kind of like a fighter with a glass jaw.

We just need some way to protect his jaw.

Hopefully he will make a complete recovery and will never get injured again.
Old 12-04-2008   #13
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally I am not buying into the whole 'injury-prone' thing, most players that get hurt are more than just bruised, they have forn ligaments, broken bones... there's nothing soft or prone about that, its just a lot of really bad luck.

My major problem with Schaub is how he reacts after getting hit/hurt, and as much as I want him to succeed, every time I see him take a hit I fear that I will see the shell-shocked deer-in-the-headlights face on him the next play.

The only way we'll know if he progressed from the shell-shock reaction is to see him calm and ready after getting hit, so... play him if he is ready physically.
Old 12-04-2008   #14
Tedc
Hardheaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
... there's nothing soft or prone about that, its just a lot of really bad luck.

My major problem with Schaub is how he reacts after getting hit/hurt, and as much as I want him to succeed, every time I see him take a hit I fear that I will see the shell-shocked deer-in-the-headlights face on him the next play.
Isn't that an indication of being soft?
Old 12-04-2008   #15
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc View Post
Isn't that an indication of being soft?
It would be IF he were making the deer in the headlights look. Thankfully he doesnt and he keeps going. I dont see any reason for Schaub not to play this game if he's ready to go and all indications are that he is.

Its not a good argument to say dont play him because its a road game. You have to be able to play well no matter the venue. You never know, with the big win on Monday this team may really be getting up for a game at Lambeau. Its exciting r most of these guys since they havent played there before.

I am far more concerned with the defense than I am with how the offense plays this game.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #16
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

If Schaub is ready - he has to play. I also think that the team wants him behind center. Sage has become entirely too hesitant along with inconsistent. Sage may not have the deer in the headlights look - but he plays like he does. No confidence and he doesn't have that bond with Dre that Schaub does. When Dre gets the ball more, we win - it is almost that simple. Someone has to make up for our lack of defense.

Schaub also needs to prove to himself and the coaching staff(and me) that he isn't made of glass - he can take a hit and not be out for the next month. If he is going to be our starting QB - he has to stay healthy period. No time like the present, better now than next year.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #17
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
i'm curious... since sage has played very consistently this year, (consistently mediocre) he may not get much interest next year. we may not have to look for a backup qb.

a side note: Nall suited on Monday. When was the last time we suited 3 QB's?
4. Turk threw the best pass of the night.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #18
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 398 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Personally I am not buying into the whole 'injury-prone' thing, most players that get hurt are more than just bruised, they have forn ligaments, broken bones... there's nothing soft or prone about that, its just a lot of really bad luck.

The only way we'll know if he progressed from the shell-shock reaction is to see him calm and ready after getting hit, so... play him if he is ready physically.
Your right and we get to see a tough quarterback this weekend in Green Bay, Schaub should take a lesson from Rodgers in a few bumps and bruises can't let a good QB down. Is Schaub the NFL's McGrady?
Old 12-04-2008   #19
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyFresh View Post
Your right and we get to see a tough quarterback this weekend in Green Bay, Schaub should take a lesson from Rodgers in a few bumps and bruises can't let a good QB down. Is Schaub the NFL's McGrady?
Torn muscles on different parts of the body don't make him injury prone. A line with inconsitent linemen make QBs injury prone.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Torn muscles on different parts of the body don't make him injury prone. A line with inconsitent linemen make QBs injury prone.
This argument doesn't hunt.

How many times has Wonder Boy Sage been found laying on the ground, sitting on the bench, expecting to be able to return soon?

(Sigh)

Some guys find ways to stay upright. That's all there is to it.

It's not magic. There's not a perfect oline in the game, and never will be. And even the "good" olines can have a bad game every now and then out-of-the-blue.

I'm satisfied with the pass blocking thus far. It's not stellar, but it's adequate. The short-yardage run blocking is atrocious, though.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read