Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-03-2008   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Rules

Amusing article by Rick Reilly. I did not know some of these rules...some players (Chester Pitts included) didn't either.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/st...t&lid=tab2pos1
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Rules

Is this baseball?

You can't put your QB back in if you get to your third stringer? I've never before heard that one.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #3
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Is this baseball?

You can't put your QB back in if you get to your third stringer? I've never before heard that one.
I think it is because you can designate one of your inactives as the emergency or 3rd string QB.
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #4
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Anything in there about regular season games ending in a tie?

signed,
Donovan McNabb
Old 12-03-2008   #5
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Anything in there about regular season games ending in a tie?

signed,
Donovan McNabb
To paraphrase Obama "YES THEY CAN!"
Old 12-03-2008   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow. Some of those rules I've just never heard before. Like the one about catching a punt as the clock expires.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Wow. Some of those rules I've just never heard before. Like the one about catching a punt as the clock expires.
Yeah, that happened just a few weeks ago with Arizona. At least I think that's the game where that rule came up. Might have been a different rule.

I didn't know about the QB one either
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2008   #8
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

I love some of those obscure / oldschool rules.

Anyone remember the Floutie drop kick for a PAT a couple of years ago?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Jsz-fSNd4
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #9
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52676 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

I missed the advancing a blocked punt and no penalty running into the quick kicker.

Some of the rules make no damn sense though. Like some of the fumble rules and advancing on fumbles and such.

The Indy game last week I think, where Manning tried to sneak it into the endzone and fumbled at the half yard line, and it was scooped up by a Colt who was sitting on his ass on the goal line and rolled over the line for an apparent TD. NOPE. Only the guy who fumbled can make the recovery for that team. WHAT???? Makes no freaking sense, I don't care what happened in a game before where they had to make that rule.

If you can fumble at the 50 and have a teammate recover, then that's how it should be anywhere on the field.

And on an onsides kick. I think the receiving team can get the ball and advance it. In fact I know they can because I've seen TD's scored from it, but if the kicking team recovers, they can't advance the ball. Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

And for anybody who doesn't know what happens with tie games in the playoffs, see Rams/Panthers '04, Raiders/Colts '77, Browns/Jets '87, and Dolphins/Chiefs '71. All double OT playoff games.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't know there was any such thing as a fair-catch kick.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #11
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
The Indy game last week I think, where Manning tried to sneak it into the endzone and fumbled at the half yard line, and it was scooped up by a Colt who was sitting on his ass on the goal line and rolled over the line for an apparent TD. NOPE. Only the guy who fumbled can make the recovery for that team. WHAT???? Makes no freaking sense, I don't care what happened in a game before where they had to make that rule.

If you can fumble at the 50 and have a teammate recover, then that's how it should be anywhere on the field.
i didnt see that but i think it mustve been on 4th down because i think thats only when that rule applies (not the field location)

and it makes plenty of sense.. if it was 4th and 4 and the runner was stopped after a yd, he would obviously just 'fumble' (throw) it forward past the marker so his teammates have a shot at recovering it
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #12
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52676 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
i didnt see that but i think it mustve been on 4th down because i think thats only when that rule applies (not the field location)

and it makes plenty of sense.. if it was 4th and 4 and the runner was stopped after a yd, he would obviously just 'fumble' (throw) it forward past the marker so his teammates have a shot at recovering it
Ah, that's probably what it was and that does make a little better sense, but still, a fumble's a fumble no matter where on the field or what down. The fumble forward on 4th down, I'd just chalk that up as a trick play, guard against it. Don't make a seperate fumble rule.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Some of the rules make no damn sense though. Like some of the fumble rules and advancing on fumbles and such.

wow, you are talking about one of the most famous plays in NFL history. The Holy Roller play.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...revision&cd=1#

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #14
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ah, that's probably what it was and that does make a little better sense, but still, a fumble's a fumble no matter where on the field or what down. The fumble forward on 4th down, I'd just chalk that up as a trick play, guard against it. Don't make a seperate fumble rule.
i diagree totally.. you cant 'guard' against it... it would be completely biased against the defence. they stop a guy and he just throws it forward? its a good rule
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008   #15
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
wow, you are talking about one of the most famous plays in NFL history. The Holy Roller play.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...revision&cd=1#
i think it should be a judgment call, and if it's obvious that it was an intentional forward fumble then i have no problems with a penalty.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
i think it should be a judgment call, and if it's obvious that it was an intentional forward fumble then i have no problems with a penalty.
I want as many judgment calls taken out of the ref's hands as is possible. They botch them so often, I'd just rather eliminate subjectivity to whatever degree possible.
Old 12-06-2008   #17
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33391 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I want as many judgment calls taken out of the ref's hands as is possible. They botch them so often, I'd just rather eliminate subjectivity to whatever degree possible.
Wouldn't be so hard on the refs, but I agree it shouldn't be a judgement call, on something that can be so important, and also is so hard to spot whether or not a deliberate fumble occurred.
mattieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008   #18
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think any team should ever be allowed to advance on a fumble. Don't fumble and you don't have to worry about it.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read