Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-03-2008   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171776 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Prevent Defense ????Friend or Foe????

I am guardedly happy with the Texans' last win. But I have to say that I began feeling very uncomfortable beginning in the 4th Q. By no means had we put the Jags "away" by then. Our D up to then was looking quite "alive" with their heretofore uncharacteristic bull rushes on the QB. Then all of a sudden, I began noticing that we were beginning to give up hefty chunks of yardage, and noticed that the D game plan turned around 180 degrees. Someone decided to go into 3 down linemen mode with return to an anemic rush of only 3 players. There appeared to be no pressure on the QB. I can't help feeling lucky that the Jags for whatever reason just layed down........seemingly more interested in taking a shower than winning a game.

I'd be interested in others' view on my observation.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #2
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prevent Defense ????Friend or Foe????

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I am guardedly happy with the Texans' last win. But I have to say that I began feeling very uncomfortable beginning in the 4th Q. By no means had we put the Jags "away" by then. Our D up to then was looking quite "alive" with their heretofore uncharacteristic bull rushes on the QB. Then all of a sudden, I began noticing that we were beginning to give up hefty chunks of yardage, and noticed that the D game plan turned around 180 degrees. Someone decided to go into 3 down linemen mode with return to an anemic rush of only 3 players. There appeared to be no pressure on the QB. I can't help feeling lucky that the Jags for whatever reason just layed down........seemingly more interested in taking a shower than winning a game.

Im right here with you on this. I dont understand why any team would employ this defense the wyathat the Texans did the other night. The Prevent defense is a defense that is great when you are defending against the deep pass at the very end of the game, say less than 3 minutes left and up by 2 or 3 TD's. It is way to easy to pick apart by attacking the holes in the zones. I am a big proponent for staying aggresive. You an always play your safties a little deeper and play with a little bit bigger cusion with the corners and get better results.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #3
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 106584 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO whichever page has the Prevent on it should be ripped out, burned and the ashes spread over a cow patty field in Vietnam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Spot on....

I hate the "Prevent Defense". You know the old saying; "the only thing it prevents, is you from winning the game"..

I'm more of a Bum Phillips guy, "You dance with the one that brung ya".
Old 12-03-2008   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

FOE!!!!!

I've cringed watching the prevent ever since a certain playoff game in 1993.

I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
Old 12-03-2008   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with foe. I hate the prevent D. 35-3 is all I have to say about it.
Old 12-03-2008   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Jags didn't score their first touchdown until there was 2 minutes left in the game. UP until that point, we were winning by 20 points.

The prevent defense causes teams to use up a lot of time moving the ball.

When you've got a team that gets beat deep a lot, aka The Texans, its not worth the risk of blitzing 5 and only dropping back 6 guys against a lot of receivers.

THink about it like this:
The Texans went into prevent mode with over 5 minutes left. The Jags took 3 minutes to score their first TD, giving us the ball back with 2 minutes left and still holding on to a 13 point lead.

If we rush 5 and Jones comes down with a long one, we may end up with a 13 point lead with over 4minutes left. Thats a big difference, especially when the Jags are already low on timeouts

PS: Whats with all the q?marks in the title. 8????????
Old 12-03-2008   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 106584 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
IMO whichever page has the Prevent on it should be ripped out, burned and the ashes spread over a cow patty field in Vietnam.
PS
We should also do this to our version of the Wildcat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The arguments I have with the prevent in this particular game are:

1.You know Jville wouldn't have led up on us.

2.You are trying to teach your very young defense about being aggressive. That means you need to tell this team that at no point is giving up a TD a good thing. Players have fun with that kind of mentality. It could've done wonders in confidence to know you haven't given up a TD in two games.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #10
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing's for sure.........we don't see it very often.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
...THink about it like this:
The Texans went into prevent mode with over 5 minutes left. The Jags took 3 minutes to score their first TD, giving us the ball back with 2 minutes left and still holding on to a 13 point lead...
And how many minutes had the Jags gone without a TD when we weren't playing prevent?...
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #12
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Any fan of Houston football shouldn't have to ask if the prevent is a friend or foe.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #13
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Instead of "prevent", how about "wussyass" or "Smith uncover 2".
Old 12-03-2008   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
FOE!!!!!

I've cringed watching the prevent ever since a certain playoff game in 1993.

I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
I hate it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree with foe. I hate the prevent D. 35-3 is all I have to say about it.

Neg. reps to both y'all. I think the point could have been made without brining up that abomination. Thanks guys, now I have to go throw up and start breaking stuff.
Old 12-03-2008   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Neg. reps to both y'all. I think the point could have been made without brining up that abomination. Thanks guys, now I have to go throw up and start breaking stuff.
LOL! It is the first thing I think of when I hear the term "prevent defense". That is lesson no. 1 about that particular scheme, and no other examples are required. That was a great defensive unit back then, and no way should they have been tagged with that letdown. The coaching failed them (and us) miserably.

I agree with El Tejano's above points. Teach our defense how to close games! I could care less if someone wants to accuse us of running up the score.

It would probably be the first time we'd be accused of it anyway . <--humorous intent
Old 12-03-2008   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171776 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Any fan of Houston football shouldn't have to ask if the prevent is a friend or foe.
The friend or foe question was rhetorical on my part. The Texans until these last two games have appeared to be in nonagressive prevent D......with the "protection" of a torn prophylactic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
PS: Whats with all the q?marks in the title. 8????????
It must be my filler instead of "uh" or "umm."
Old 12-03-2008   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be willing to bet that offenses score more quickly against prevent defenses than they do against a defense that plays their normal scheme in that same situation...
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
LOL! It is the first thing I think of when I hear the term "prevent defense". That is lesson no. 1 about that particular scheme, and no other examples are required. That was a great defensive unit back then, and no way should they have been tagged with that letdown. The coaching failed them (and us) miserably.I agree with El Tejano's above points. Teach our defense how to close games! I could care less if someone wants to accuse us of running up the score.

It would probably be the first time we'd be accused of it anyway . <--humorous intent
That brings us full circle to who made the decision to return to defense mediocrity in the 4th Q? Could Smith have made that call without Kubiak's blessing..........I don't think so......
Old 12-03-2008   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
That brings us full circle to who made the decision to return to defense mediocrity in the 4th Q? Could Smith have made that call without Kubiak's blessing..........I don't think so......
Our franchise is so tight-lipped about the hierarchy and who/what/when/how of the decision making process that I am truly clueless who the responsibility really falls to. Different teams have different structures, so there is no telling how much influence Kubiak has in the play-to-play decisions during the game.
Old 12-03-2008   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL! It is the first thing I think of when I hear the term "prevent defense". That is lesson no. 1 about that particular scheme, and no other examples are required. That was a great defensive unit back then, and no way should they have been tagged with that letdown. The coaching failed them (and us) miserably.

I agree with El Tejano's above points. Teach our defense how to close games! I could care less if someone wants to accuse us of running up the score.

Yeppers.

Instead of the name "prevent defense", they should've named it the "93 Oilers defense". It's the first damn thing I think of after noticing a prevent scheme. Bastages!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read