Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2005   #81
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think someone mentioned this already but how about Pat Williams from the Bills? I just read an article that said the Bills might have trouble signing their free agents.

LINK

(January 6, 2005) ORCHARD PARK The abrupt ending to the Buffalo Bills season Sunday with a 29-24 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers was especially difficult to take for Pat Williams and Jonas Jennings.

Not only was it the final game of Buffalo's best season in five years, it may have been their final games as Bills.

Williams and Jennings are unrestricted free agents, the only starters on the Bills' relatively short list of players eligible to switch teams starting March 2.

"It feels hard now. I didn't know if it was going to be my last game here," Williams said. "I hope it wasn't."

If it was, Williams certainly went out in style. The eight-year veteran, who joined the Bills as a rookie free agent in 1997 under Marv Levy and improved every season since, made 12 tackles and a sack against the Steelers. Four of his tackles were behind the line of scrimmage, good for minus-17 yards.

For Williams, 32, it amounted to an audition for his old employer and anybody else who may be interested in a premier run stuffer (474 career tackles) who also can get after the quarterback (13 sacks).
Old 01-06-2005   #82
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
And you proved just that.
Yes I did, do you want me go out and find two season ticket holders where one thinks Carr is great and one that thinks Carr is bad? My point is I can find two sides to the same story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
He is a trusted source to me as opposed to random message board ramblings.
Gee, you mean like the stuff you doing right now? Yours doesn't make it anymore 'valid" at this point. You are on a message board just as I am. Pompus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Actually what you said is that you felt he (Hovan) would be an "excellent" NT.
He would be an excellent pick if he came cheap. Nice try, but at least try and get the whole picture of what I am talking about. IF HE CAME CHEAP. There now maybe you can handle that. He would be better than any backup we have.
Old 01-06-2005   #83
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

What's too bad is that you bring good stuff to the table from time to time but often ruin it with your childish rants and name calling as the debate evolves in ways that you don't agree. Carry on.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #84
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

The only problem is that HE WON'T COME CHEAP.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #85
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
What's too bad is that you bring good stuff to the table from time to time but often ruin it with your childish rants and name calling as the debate evolves in ways that you don't agree. Carry on.
Like I really care. You bring some childish Pompous jabs about how you have the "inside" track on viewpoints. Just like we are supposed to drop down and kiss your feet because you have a so called 'relative' who attends Vikings games. We are supposed to take that as Gospel. That just reminds of the kid with basketball, its his ball and his rules and nobody is supposed to say anything. So really you are as guilty as you accuse me. Your not that squeaky clean.

Now on to the topic and enough of this.

I'm afraid Mr. Williams will be a bit expensive. If Buffalo won't be able resign him I don't we could either. But then again we threw out big money to Robaire and Walker.

And Steel Blue, how much do you think Hovan will be going for?
Old 01-06-2005   #86
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually it's a nephew and he's been a Vikes season ticket holder for about 6 years. He's a pretty smart football head and I respect his opinions and I just thought I'd share. Anger management or decaf might be an option. Insult away if you must. It humors me but it takes away from the subject at hand.

Why is anyone talking about Pat Williams? Like we need another old DL.

Last edited by aj.; 01-06-2005 at 09:02 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #87
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
And Steel Blue, how much do you think Hovan will be going for?

Somewhere around the amount Robaire Smith, Cornelius Griffin and Rod Coleman each went for. Possibly more than that.
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2005   #88
SESupergenius

ok well thanks for info on your nephew, I really cherish that knowledge. Your being a bit pretentious especially when you dart of that I need anger management or decaf then hypocritically infer that you are above it all in your very next statement of "Insult away if you must." ZZZZZZ

Robaire Smith is 27, I don't consider that old, he was 26 when we acquired him. The youthness montra is a little overrated. Williams is 32. I've seen DT's well over that that still bring fairly well. Pat Williams had decent year last year and is big enough to play a NT in the 3-4, I see nothing wrong with signing him other than a hefty price tag considering out options when Payne would be a big "if"
Old 01-06-2005   #89
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Somewhere around the amount Robaire Smith, Cornelius Griffin and Rod Coleman each went for. Possibly more than that.
If Hovan is not good then why do you think he would be getting Robaire, Griffin or Coleman type money?
Old 01-06-2005   #90
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Hovan and the Raiders seem like a good match ..... we (Texans) don't need the drama ........
chuckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #91
SESupergenius

Maybe that is what we are lacking, a little fire.
Old 01-06-2005   #92
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

then we should go after Warren Sapp ..... not
chuckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #93
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Because there are always teams willing to overpay players with marginal talent. Especially for supposed "big name" players who are living off past reputation. It also helps that this year's free agent pool of DTs is not very good.
Old 01-07-2005   #94
SESupergenius

Hovan signed a 5 year $5 million contract with a $3 million signing bonus. Smith signed a contract for 6 years worth $26.3 million with a $8.35 million signing bonus. Thats roughly $5,775,000 a year. Walker signed a $36 million including an upfront sum of $11 million. Roughly $7,833,333 a year

I doubt very seriously Hovan will command that kind of money. Kendrick Clancy of the Steelers tested the FA market last year and got a 1 year deal for $605,000. Brandon Noble got a four-year, $7 million contract from the Redskins last year as well. The closest comparision in my opinion to the contract Hovan would get this year is that of the Brian Youngs contract of last year where he went from St Louis to the Saints for 4 years totaling $10 million with a $4 million dollar bonus. Roughly $3,500,000 a year.
I think the play of Hovan over that year or so reflects Brian Youngs contribution and stature, thus I feel he won't be paid near what the Robaire and others got.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read