Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2005   #41
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think 13 will be too high to take Ngata. He's not going to move that up the draft board. I won't be surprised if they make a trade similar to last year's if they think they can get 2 starting 1st day players. They have an extra 3rd to play with. Thank you, Dallas.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005   #42
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Recent Hovan stuff.

If you like to buy low - that's certainly where he's at.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005   #43
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"Of course the injury is a concern when heading into free agency. ... It's hard not to think about it, but I've always tried to make it a point to play primarily for the love of the game and look at the money as an added benefit. I just want to get the surgery done and get on with the rehab process."

The above comment from Payne was taken out of an article in todays Chron.
"play primarily for the love of the game" - coming from anybody but Payne I'd
say that was BS, but not from him. I tend to think Payne with only one good leg is better than Walker, but we've got a substantial sunk cost with the investment/new contract with Walker, so it is gonna be tough to hold on to Seth if he can get anykind of a deal with another team. I wish him the best.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005   #44
Texan Gal 312
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
"Of course the injury is a concern when heading into free agency. ... It's hard not to think about it, but I've always tried to make it a point to play primarily for the love of the game and look at the money as an added benefit. I just want to get the surgery done and get on with the rehab process."

The above comment from Payne was taken out of an article in todays Chron.
"play primarily for the love of the game" - coming from anybody but Payne I'd
say that was BS, but not from him. I tend to think Payne with only one good leg is better than Walker, but we've got a substantial sunk cost with the investment/new contract with Walker, so it is gonna be tough to hold on to Seth if he can get anykind of a deal with another team. I wish him the best.
In that same article, Seth indicated he really wanted to stay here.
Texan Gal 312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005   #45
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Better plan on Payne being back next year, which IMO is a good thing:

Quote:
Unfortunately for Payne, he tore two hamstring tendons attached to his pelvis and will need surgery. Gary Walker suffered the same injury before the 2002 season and capped the year with a trip to the Pro Bowl. Payne expects to make a full recovery and be 100 percent healthy in six months, but he realizes the timing of the injury is anything but advantageous.

"I'm not too concerned with playing next year," Payne said. "I played 16 games this season, and I'll play 16 games next year. This team is heading in the right direction. This is the kind of place I'd like to be. This is the kind of team that has the potential to win the Super Bowl in a couple of years.
Link
Old 01-05-2005   #46
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Better plan on Payne being back next year, which IMO is a good thing:
I would like to have him back. Looks like he'll be in the same situation, campwise, as last year though.
Old 01-05-2005   #47
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a major knock on Hovan that he can be high motor on pass rushing but doesn't have discipline for run stopping? Doesn't sound like a NT in that regard.
Look he is just a name that is available and there aren't many out there that play NT. Hovan has at least done that. Pat Williams is still a good look if Payne iis not the answer. The delima is should we re-sign Payne and Deloach? Should we go after a FA like Williams and sign Deloach? Should we sign Payne and a FA?

Here is the thing. Hovan would come cheap. We could sign him and re-sign Payne with incentive clause if he no so interested in the money like he says. Deloach would then either take a fair contract from us or try FA. If we go after a guy like Williams, who will likely want a high price tag, then we are strapped in re-signing other quality FA.

If we resign Payne and Deloach and Payne injuries are not healed, we are in a world of trouble. Deloach is the worst lineman we have.
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2005   #48
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Here is the thing. Hovan would come cheap.
Another question would be, why would Hovan want to learn the NT position? It's a tough position and he'd likely go to a team that plays the 43 defense he's used to. Like Arizona with the guy who drafted him, Denny Green. The Texans would have to overpay to get Hovan here as a NT.
Old 01-05-2005   #49
SESupergenius

Hovan has played NT, mostly on passing downs. It's not like DL linemen can't learn the 3-4, look at Walker and Robaire, both were 4-3 guys coming in. That argument doesn't hold water, DL are mostly 4-3 linemen when they learn the 3-4. If Denny Green would want him then I would think he is still a good player, unless of course you think that Denny Green doesn't know what he is talking about, but I'll take Dennys knowledge of yours. I wouldn't want Hovan if he is asking for money money than Payne is, it's that simple.
Old 01-05-2005   #50
NoBullTexan
Veteran

Well, my heartfelt hope is that we resign Seth Payne, probably for the vet min, with incentives, and then go after Halote N'gata very hard in the draft. Not #1, though, but at #2, which I still expect him to be there.
Old 01-05-2005   #51
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Hovan is too small to play NT and he can't plug up the middle. Teams will run right though us.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005   #52
SESupergenius

I would like that plan as well, but ten teams, or nearly one third of the league, now use the 3-4 in some form

Pittsburgh
Atlanta
New England
Oakland
San Diego
Houston
Baltimore
Dallas
San Francisco
the New York Jets
New Orleans

It would be very hard for us to get him (Ngata) considering he may be too high at our #13 pick and may be gone by our 2nd round #14 pick.
Old 01-05-2005   #53
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would like that plan as well, but ten teams, or nearly one third of the league, now use the 3-4 in some form

Pittsburgh
Atlanta
New England
Oakland
San Diego
Houston
Baltimore
Dallas
San Francisco
the New York Jets
New Orleans

It would be very hard for us to get him (Ngata) considering he may be too high at our #13 pick and may be gone by our 2nd round #14 pick.

Atlanta, Dallas, San Fran, NY Jets, and New Orleans don't use the 3-4
Old 01-05-2005   #54
SESupergenius

Hovan is listed at about 298 right now. He was up to 308 before losing his starting spot, reportedly due to his inability to sleep because of the demotion. But he has done things to get himself back on track. He's no savior by any means, but well worth a look at considering he may be on the low end of what we need.
Old 01-05-2005   #55
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Atlanta, Dallas, San Fran, NY Jets, and New Orleans don't use the 3-4
Try again.
Look here for an clue They use, not exclusive but still use it.

Do you want to argue just to argue?
Old 01-05-2005   #56
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

trading down is a possibility for Ngata. But he is being listed as a mid second round pick by most.. so unless his stock rises, or alot of teams decide they want a DT.. its possible he could be there at our #2
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005   #57
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Try again.
Look here for an clue They use, not exclusive but still use it.

Do you want to argue just to argue?

Haloti will slip to the second round because he is still recovering from a major knee injury.

Last edited by STEEL BLUE TEXANS; 01-05-2005 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-05-2005   #58
SESupergenius

We'll have to see how is combine is. From what I've been seeing he is hot on the radar, not just for 3-4 teams, but 4-3 as well. I think his stock might rise a bit, could be a 1st rounder.
Old 01-05-2005   #59
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Haloti will slip to the second round because he is still recovering from a major knee injury.
Have you any clue at all????? Where do you get your information from? Come one now, he played the whole year with the Ducks. He finished the season with 46 tackles, 8.5 of those for a loss and he had 3.5 sacks. Have you even seen him play?

The biggest question is whether or not he will even be interested in playing in the NFL yet. He still thinks he has a ways to go before he is on the NFL level and may stay at Oregon to pursue his degree.
Old 01-05-2005   #60
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

there are still injury concerns.

And who are you to question if someone else has a clue? You think Chris Hovan would make a great NT. lmao

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read