Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2008   #1
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default O line

O line if two people have 2 go during the OS who has to get Cut ????

knowing that we might get 1 new guy during the draft or FA

I say

CUt

Scott Jackson IR
Anthony Oakley PS
Rashad Butler T
Chris White C/G

and the starting lineup should be

T Eric Winston
G Chester Pitts
C Chris Myers
G Mike Brisiel
T Duane Brown

something radical has well would be decided if u wanna cut or move Adam from carolina & Dan who i think used to play for the pats on the PS and IR & Ephraim Salaam ,Kasey Studdard but duing this might make or depth pretty low

this was just off the top of my head thinking LOL iam no expert
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #2
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O line

you're crazy to cut Butler and Jackson. Butler is our swing next year. White is valuable because he can play G and C. Unless someone we draft is better athletically, he's pretty useful.

perhaps you can look to the happless longhorn stable to find someone worth cutting....
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #3
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
you're crazy to cut Butler and Jackson. Butler is our swing next year. White is valuable because he can play G and C. Unless someone we draft is better athletically, he's pretty useful.

perhaps you can look to the happless longhorn stable to find someone worth cutting....
iam sure there will be cuts on all three phases of the game esp the big contract players who dont live up
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Duane Brown is not a RT....... replace the center and add a guy who can atleast hold his position and the line will be fine.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #5
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

On the way home from the game, Sirius NFL network was saying the Texans were close to being a good team, they just need help in two categories.

#1 - a consistant quarterback that stays healty

#2- Get rid of Chris Myers (center). They were dogging him left and right and said he looked like a player on rollerskates in that goalline 3 and out. They were saying "yeah, he's undersized like Gibbs and Kubiak like, but he's getting dominated way too much. They need to shore up that center position becuase that kid was on rollerskates the entire game, especially on that goalline 3 and out".
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I usually don't feel qualified to get into details about the O-linemen, but I think if you look at the highlight runs by Slaton you'll see some pretty good stuff by our begrudged center. I don't doubt that he gets shoved back in short yardage situations and pass protection, though. I do think he's getting better, but I don't think he'll improve much more. OK, now I'm generalizing, so I'll shut up.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
On the way home from the game, Sirius NFL network was saying the Texans were close to being a good team, they just need help in two categories.

#1 - a consistant quarterback that stays healty

#2- Get rid of Chris Myers (center). They were dogging him left and right and said he looked like a player on rollerskates in that goalline 3 and out. They were saying "yeah, he's undersized like Gibbs and Kubiak like, but he's getting dominated way too much. They need to shore up that center position becuase that kid was on rollerskates the entire game, especially on that goalline 3 and out".
I agee, generally. However, it's not just Myers, it's the combination of Myers and Briesel next to each other. I would argue that we need to upgrade at least one of those two spots. If we had a good RG next to Myers it would make him look better.

And, whoever suggested cutting Butler hasn't got a clue. Butler is good!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2008   #8
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anyone knowledgeable about offensive line play graded out the players at all five spots lately? It would be interesting to see a somewhat detailed evaluation of the players performance through perhaps the first 12 games of the season.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

chris meyers has been competitive, played hard every down & works well in space. when the field compresses toward & in the red zone its easier for teams to dominate him @ the point of attack as Texans adjust/change to more conservative sets against loaded boxes & stunts plugging any gap through the middle, it would take someone massive to fend off those situations which is not indicitive of typical zbs players, thats on the coaching staff to spread out defenses & not deviate from their normal game plan.

same can be said for mike brisiel. both are young & working their butts off, lunch pale types with less than ideal athletic ability, who over achieve week after week. will the Texans feel the need to justify spending a high pick or big free agent signing to improve the inside? I hope so but you can bet its gonna be someone similar while improving things like hand punch, quick feet more powerful body mass & natural feel for zbs. right now its not killing the Texans to have them out there & considering what the Texans have invested they are both downright steals.

at the very least they will be with this team for along time if not starting providing capable back-up status which means Texans have some quality depth & probably become a winning franchise
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post

I aree with you on Butler. The only way I see us cutting White would be if we were to replace Meyers it'd move Meyers to the backup position.

I agree with Dale as well. Presently, our C and RG are the weak links along our Oline. If we're unable to get replacements for them in the offseason, I expect the 2 positions open for competition.
Old 12-03-2008   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Our offense line and RBs are set up for quick slashing plays and not to power up the middle for 3-4 yards. We have been unable to keep a "power back" on the field. Why wasn't the full back allowed to follow a TE and a tackle into the end zone with Slaton being used as a decoy? I bet Slaton will be very sore this off season and I just hope he does not get a severe injury. D. Davis anyone?
Old 12-03-2008   #12
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
chris meyers has been competitive, played hard every down & works well in space. when the field compresses toward & in the red zone its easier for teams to dominate him @ the point of attack as Texans adjust/change to more conservative sets against loaded boxes & stunts plugging any gap through the middle, it would take someone massive to fend off those situations which is not indicitive of typical zbs players, thats on the coaching staff to spread out defenses & not deviate from their normal game plan.

same can be said for mike brisiel. both are young & working their butts off, lunch pale types with less than ideal athletic ability, who over achieve week after week. will the Texans feel the need to justify spending a high pick or big free agent signing to improve the inside? I hope so but you can bet its gonna be someone similar while improving things like hand punch, quick feet more powerful body mass & natural feel for zbs. right now its not killing the Texans to have them out there & considering what the Texans have invested they are both downright steals.

at the very least they will be with this team for along time if not starting providing capable back-up status which means Texans have some quality depth & probably become a winning franchise
Bingo! You hit the nail on the head with this post BL.

As for upgrading in the off season, I think if they could get Alex Mack in the 1st (possibly by trading down) or Luigs in the 2nd it would help solidify the O-line. The problem is, I think they will be more inclined to go Defense with the first few rounds so I don't think Mack or Luigs will be drafted by us. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #13
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
Has anyone knowledgeable about offensive line play graded out the players at all five spots lately? It would be interesting to see a somewhat detailed evaluation of the players performance through perhaps the first 12 games of the season.
Your best bet is to listen to Lance Zierlein on 1560 in the mornings and read his blog on chron.com. His dad's the OL coach for Pitt, he has a ton of NFL connections, and is terribly knowledgeable about football.

From what I've gathered from him; Pitts has been surprisingly disappointing this season (though, keep in mind, this is relative to LZ's expectations that he quickly becomes the best OL under Gibbs' system,) Briesel is the most underrated lineman on the offense and has been very solid, Myers has been horrible aside from the Cleveland game, Brown is still very raw and could use a lot of improvement.

I don't think I'm qualified to analyze the play of the OL, but everything I've seen seem pretty congruous with LZ's takes.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #14
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Meyer is listed as 6'-4", 293#. White as 6'-2", 285#. Offensive Center is one of the deepest positions in this coming draft. We need to take a C in the 3rd round : California's Alex Mack ( 6'-3", 310, est 5.1 ) Arkansas' Jonathan Luigs ( 6'-3", 310, est 5.1 ) Oregon's Max Unger ( 6'-4", 311, est 5.2 ).
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #15
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I'm having a hard time reconciling using a first or second round pick on an offensive lineman when they are clearly doing well, and when the defensive line needs so much help.

Part of playing well is playing together. The line took a hit early in the season because three players were replaced. (Only Winston and Pitts remained from last year's line.) If anything, I think the line needs more time together, not necessarily new inserts.

As far as blocking on the goalline, I think that is where the Texans need a good short-yardage back. When Green wasn't injured, he was able to win the short-yardage battle. Now that the Texans don't have him or Dayne, they are no longer winning that battle.

Add to it the desperate need for another DE and a run-stopping defensive tackle, and I just don't think this is the year the Texans will take a new offensive lineman, unless it's late in the draft or a low-cost free agent, and then only as a backup.
Old 12-03-2008   #16
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

"Clearly doing so well" ? At about 114 yds per game, the Texans are middle of the pack. I agree they need one more season to come together, but this season they are only average. To beat the Colts and Titans, we need to be better than "average". I do not think we go offense with the first 2 picks. But there should be a quality Center available in the 3rd.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #17
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

These are the Texans. Anything that isn't "abysmal," "horrendous," or "I'd Give Them an F, D- at Best" is doing very well. Average/middle of the pack is a good place. Besides, they are the fifth best offense, IIRC, and o-line is a huge piece in that puzzle. They have come a loooong way from Pittsburg, and they'll go farther next season.

Quality center in the third? Why not? It's not where I would put the pick, but as a long-time watcher of the Texans o-line, I'd never begrudge them taking a lineman in the third.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
"Clearly doing so well" ? At about 114 yds per game, the Texans are middle of the pack. I agree they need one more season to come together, but this season they are only average. To beat the Colts and Titans, we need to be better than "average". I do not think we go offense with the first 2 picks. But there should be a quality Center available in the 3rd.
Old 12-03-2008   #18
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Meyer is listed as 6'-4", 293#. White as 6'-2", 285#. Offensive Center is one of the deepest positions in this coming draft. We need to take a C in the 3rd round : California's Alex Mack ( 6'-3", 310, est 5.1 ) Arkansas' Jonathan Luigs ( 6'-3", 310, est 5.1 ) Oregon's Max Unger ( 6'-4", 311, est 5.2 ).
Two of these Centers you mention (Mack & Luigs) are projected to be gone by the 3rd round, and other than those 2 I don't think anyone else would be an upgrade over Myers. Also, everyone keeps saying this is a deep draft for Centers, but I'm not seeing it. Mack is head and shoulders above the rest and is probably the only one NFL ready to step in from day one from what I've read. Luigs is good too, but after that there seems to be a big drop off in talent. So, to me, unless they get Mack in the 1st or Luigs in the 2nd they probably won't get a Center unless it is a late round project. They have too many other holes to fill (DE, OLB, Power RB, etc...). JMHO!

Last edited by Insideop; 12-03-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
I'm having a hard time reconciling using a first or second round pick on an offensive lineman when they are clearly doing well, and when the defensive line needs so much help.

Part of playing well is playing together. The line took a hit early in the season because three players were replaced. (Only Winston and Pitts remained from last year's line.) If anything, I think the line needs more time together, not necessarily new inserts.

As far as blocking on the goalline, I think that is where the Texans need a good short-yardage back. When Green wasn't injured, he was able to win the short-yardage battle. Now that the Texans don't have him or Dayne, they are no longer winning that battle.

Add to it the desperate need for another DE and a run-stopping defensive tackle, and I just don't think this is the year the Texans will take a new offensive lineman, unless it's late in the draft or a low-cost free agent, and then only as a backup.
its very probable this line is the same line next year, all still young & improving. I'm also big on trading back to add more solid draft picks, any one of which should be added into the OL mix thats how competant GM's layer the roster with depth, maybe they get lucky & find someone in the 3rd rd. who actually wins out a roster spot? that may be a reach but never say never trying to stay focused on the O line since this is its intended thread.

Watch Alabama Center Antoine Caldwell this Saturday against Florida, he would be a good fit for ZBS is athletic, moves down field & cut blocks backside second level already. not massive but good frame 6026 298 natural athlete with above average pass protection skills. of course when talking Bamas OL everyones All-American LT Andre Smith gets plenty of attention, some think the top overall pick of the draft so a player like Caldwell may not grab the national spotlight with so much talent around him but don't think scouts don't stop, take notes & come back later for questions. playing under Sabin in the SEC competing for the right to play in the BCS bowl game makes a nice little resume indeed.
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #20
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Your best bet is to listen to Lance Zierlein on 1560 in the mornings and read his blog on chron.com. His dad's the OL coach for Pitt, he has a ton of NFL connections, and is terribly knowledgeable about football.

From what I've gathered from him; Pitts has been surprisingly disappointing this season (though, keep in mind, this is relative to LZ's expectations that he quickly becomes the best OL under Gibbs' system,) Briesel is the most underrated lineman on the offense and has been very solid, Myers has been horrible aside from the Cleveland game, Brown is still very raw and could use a lot of improvement.

I don't think I'm qualified to analyze the play of the OL, but everything I've seen seem pretty congruous with LZ's takes.
i've missed that in his evaluation. furthermore, everytime i sit down and watch the Oline he is clearly the best WE have. Winston is the most inconsistent. One play he's the best ever and the next he's out of position and using bad technique. simlar to Brown in that sense which is odd since he's in his 3rd year now. Meyers and Brisel are very consistently below average. I do think that all 5 will return next year though and I expect improvement out of those two guys just from shear reps but talent seems to be their biggest obstacle. I see our depth improving next year and we never EVER have to see studdard again!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read