Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2008   #21
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jacoby Jones.. Wildcat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
I guess I'm in total disagreement. I, for one, am a proponent of getting creating and thinking outside the box. The direct snap has worked for many teams around the league and in college football. Just because J-Ville snuffed it out the one time it was run you want the Texans to throw it away? I don't. I want Kubiak to be willing to take some chances from time to time. I hope the play getting stuffed wasn't too much of a deterrent because, as a punt returner, Jacoby should be able to make some things happen out of that formation.
I dont think they should scrap it. But they definetly looked like they should have practiced it more before using it in a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #22
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I guess I'm in total disagreement. I, for one, am a proponent of getting creating and thinking outside the box. The direct snap has worked for many teams around the league and in college football. Just because J-Ville snuffed it out the one time it was run you want the Texans to throw it away? I don't. I want Kubiak to be willing to take some chances from time to time. I hope the play getting stuffed wasn't too much of a deterrent because, as a punt returner, Jacoby should be able to make some things happen out of that formation.
I thought Kubiak chose a good time to get creative. It wouldn't have been a different story had it been in desperatio. The offense last night was moving the ball pretty well so there is no harm in trying your luck with a little misdirection.

However I am not sure we have the players to pull that off right now. Jacoby is a bit of a dancer, and taht's not really what you want from the guy who takes the snap in the Wildcat. Ronnie runs it well because he gets right down field after the fake.

If we had another running back like a Moreno or CJ Spiller we could probably pull it off. Slaton is the perfect weapon to have playing the Felix Jones/Ricky Williams role because he is very quick.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #23
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

If we show the Wildcat in a couple of different variations, then other teams have to spend a little time preparing for the possibility of the play.

It looked like we hadn't practiced it much, though.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #24
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's just do a bunch of odd-ball crap Sunday against the Packers, so the Titans will have to prepare for it, lol.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #25
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

This team under Kubiak has been pretty vanilla. No special team tricks such as surprise onside kicks or fake punt/field goals. I still remember the option play that Stanley and Kris Brown ran. It was great hearing all of the Jags complain about it.

Since this season is over with pretty much, I wouldn't mind a little razzle dazzle. Hell, Baltimore has reverse WR passes and Troy Smith is throwing long bombs to Joe Flacco, both which have resulted in long TDs.

I would love to see the Texans draft Pat White in the 6th/7th as a developmental athlete and throw in West Virginia zone read plays time to time. It would force teams to prepare a little more.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #26
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe I shouldn't say this, but I'd just like to see us temporarily scrap the ZBS once in a while and pull the guards to block for Slaton on a sweep. A called run to the outside using ZBS will have Slaton cutting upfield every time, not that that hasn't been working quite well.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #27
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i like to see more dumps dinks slants and screens to OD hes been quite lately
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2008   #28
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
I would love to see the Texans draft Pat White in the 6th/7th as a developmental athlete and throw in West Virginia zone read plays time to time. It would force teams to prepare a little more.
Slaton and White back on the same team!
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #29
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm probably minority but I liked it. I think they should've switched Jacoby and Slaton but it was on national t.v. so everyone saw it...everyone has to waste time in practice going over it now.

Personally, I think we've got the personnel to do some damage on trick plays. Owen being an extra arm, 2 speedy playmakers in Jacoby and Slaton, the threat of threats Andre....Call it a trend if you will but if it gets us points I'll bet everybody loves it.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #30
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected

This may sound like hindsight, but my guess is that everyone on Jacksonville was keyed on Jacoby. I think handing it off would have actually been the smart play there. The timing was way off on the handoff so obviously they need more work. I agree with Seminole that maybe a RB would be a better option as the player for the direct snap, but that guy isn't on the roster right now.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #31
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This may sound like hindsight, but my guess is that everyone on Jacksonville was keyed on Jacoby. I think handing it off would have actually been the smart play there. The timing was way off on the handoff so obviously they need more work. I agree with Seminole that maybe a RB would be a better option as the player for the direct snap, but that guy isn't on the roster right now.
Not meaning to sound like a jackass, but I think everyone in the Nation was keying on JJ. I know he's the first thing I noticed when the formation was set.

I don't have a problem with the play itself. I have a problem with the way it was executed. I've yet to re-watch my DVR, but seeing it live made me wonder what the hell happened to the blockers on that side? Were there any? LOL!
Old 12-03-2008   #32
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

*wonders what LZ's dad thinks about the wildcat*
Old 12-03-2008   #33
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Because Jacoby can barely hold onto the ball during punt returns much less with a blitz and d-lineman bearing down on him thats why.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #34
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

A "gimmic/trick" play doesn't work the majority of the time. As soon as I saw the formation I was like... Oh boy here we go- this aint good. But heck, it's worth a try in that situation. Just because it didn't work that time doesn't mean we should scrap it, but it's obviously not going to be a key play in our offense anytime soon.

I too would have preferred to see Slaton back there. You've got to find ways to get the ball in your playmakers' hands and Slaton and Jacoby are definitely those guys from time to time.

As mentioned I think Daniels could be a really cool option to have. Have Jacoby lined up initially, OD at TE and then motion him back there, swing Jacoby outside and run a fake slant or something, CB's creep up and bite and then hit AJ, JJ, SL, or KW on a fade or something. Could work if we get just inside the red zone and try a quick score. Have Daniels practice that and prepare to throw it in the deep corner of the endzone. If it goes too far- it's outa bounds and there's no turnover. AJ could uses his leaping ability to snag it, land two feet in and then *duh-nah duh* Sportcenter time!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #35
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I was disappointed to see that formation come onto the field. Our strength is our WR, not running backs, and to run the wildcat IMO you need good running backs.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #36
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Not meaning to sound like a jackass, ..........
LZ comes around here often enough to know about you being a jackass and about your asshattery...
Old 12-03-2008   #37
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
LZ comes around here often enough to know about you being a jackass and about your asshattery...
Old 12-03-2008   #38
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I was glad to see it for one reason only. Jville ran a version of it on us and that pretty much cost us that game. Our team decided to do the same to them. I was hoping we would try some kind of play that would make up for the play that beat us. I'm thinking that was the same reason we decided to run something like that on them.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #39
Texans_Fan59
Rookie

i wouldn't mind seeing it again, Maybe next time with a little more yardage though.. did jacoby ever play QB and can he even throw
Texans_Fan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #40
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I was glad to see it for one reason only. Jville ran a version of it on us and that pretty much cost us that game. Our team decided to do the same to them. I was hoping we would try some kind of play that would make up for the play that beat us. I'm thinking that was the same reason we decided to run something like that on them.

I agree. Using that same logic, I was hoping to see us suprise onside their arse sometime in the 2nd half. That would have been a sweet vindication for last years lapse where they caught us sleeping. I'm still chapped at that.. it was brilliant I guess.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read