Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2008   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "texans have something even better than bush"

When folks discuss the wise-in-hindsight decision of the Houston Texans to pass on running back Reggie Bush, the player whose name always gets mentioned is defensive end Marion Williams.

The more appropriate guy to invoke is Steve Slaton. Because he’s looking to be far better than Bush.

Two years ago, a scout told me after watching practice at West Virginia University that the then-sophomore Slaton likely will be at the next level a poor-man’s version of the then-Saints rookie Bush.

Last year, however, Slaton’s stock fell. I attended at least five WVU home games and watched the rest of them on television, and it appeared that Slaton had become tentative, possibly fearful that he’d suffer a Michael Bush-style injury and squander his NFL payday.

As a result of a so-so final season, Slaton slid to bottom of the third round. And the team that passed on Bush with the No. 1 overall pick in 2006 grabbed Slaton with selection No. 89 in 2008.

Already, Slaton has become the superior NFL running back.

In Week Thirteen, Bush had three carries for zero yards, five receptions for 32, and two punt returns for minus-16.

Slaton, on Monday night against the Jags, carried 21 times for 130 yards and two touchdowns. He also caught two passes for 52 yards, one of which nearly resulted in another score.

The reality? Bush and his 3-point-something yards-per-carry average will continue to be a glorified third-down back. Slaton is blossoming into the every-down option that no one every dreamed he’d be at this level.

Otherwise, he would have been picked a lot higher, even in a draft class full of good tailbacks.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #2
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "texans have something even better than bush"

I knew that in that play off game when Reggie tried taking a pass over the middle...and took the mother of all hits.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
I knew that in that play off game when Reggie tried taking a pass over the middle...and took the mother of all hits.
That was actually in the flats and the hit was by a cornerback.

I can't even imagine what a middle linebacker would have done to him.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #4
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
That was actually in the flats and the hit was by a cornerback.

I can't even imagine what a middle linebacker would have done to him.
Ironic that it happened around Christmas, because when I saw it, all I could think as he was crawling around the Superdome was:

(To the tune of "Oh Holy Night")

"Fall.....on your knees......."
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Old 12-02-2008   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

eh, all the Bush talk in our forum makes me ill.....ugh. Frankly, we already have something better than Bush....Mario Williams. Slaton came later and played up to his pick just like Mario did.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Ironic that it happened around Christmas, because when I saw it, all I could think as he was crawling around the Superdome was:

(To the tune of "Oh Holy Night")

"Fall.....on your knees......."
In the spirit of the season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG1BhQMkPEc
Old 12-02-2008   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

For comparison sake:

Rushes this year
Slaton - 180 for 940 (5 ypc)
Bush - 90 for 294 (3.3 ypc)

For his career, Bush has 1440 yards (3.6 ypc average) and 12 rushing TDs
Slaton already has 8 rushing TDs in his rookie season and is 2nd in ypc in the entire NFL

Slaton, in less than 1 season, has 10 runs of 20+ and 4 of 40+ yards.
Bush, in almost 3 seasons, has only 6 rushes of 20+ and 0 of 40+

Slaton has never lost a fumble.
Bush has averaged 4 fumbles a year.

Bush does have more receptions (47) than Slaton (34), but thats about the only advantage he has.
Old 12-02-2008   #8
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: "texans have something even better than bush"

How about Slaton > Mendenhall is the more appropriate comment.

Especially Slaton + Brown >>> Mendenhall!!
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

The title of this thread is funny, in a junior high locker room humor kinda' way.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post

I admit that I was definitely a fan of drafting Mendenhall.
Old 12-02-2008   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
eh, all the Bush talk in our forum makes me ill.....ugh. Frankly, we already have something better than Bush....Mario Williams. Slaton came later and played up to his pick just like Mario did.
I think there are some fans who aren't gonna let it go until the media apologizes to the Texans and their fans. Which isn't gonna happen.

There are others that think the media intentionally hypes Bush and minimizes Mario. That won't go away until we get out of the cellar and make the playoffs. Same thing for Slaton here.

I was bitter about the whole Bush & VY thing at first. But Mario has proved to me that he is a great player. I couldn't care less what the media thinks.
Old 12-02-2008   #12
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: "texans have something even better than bush"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
The title of this thread is funny, in a junior high locker room humor kinda' way.
So i'm not the only one....?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #13
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched the tv broadcast this morning and they were saying how smart Casserly was for picking Mario...lol
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post

Good point. Trading our first round pick in xchange for those 2 was a great move !
As bad as Smith & Kubiak have performed in FA, they've performed as well to the other extreme in the college Draft.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Texan Bill hasn't seen the title yet
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I think there are some fans who aren't gonna let it go until the media apologizes to the Texans and their fans. Which isn't gonna happen.

There are others that think the media intentionally hypes Bush and minimizes Mario. That won't go away until we get out of the cellar and make the playoffs. Same thing for Slaton here.

I was bitter about the whole Bush & VY thing at first. But Mario has proved to me that he is a great player. I couldn't care less what the media thinks.
Seriously? I've read TONS of apologies all this past offseason and this year. Even Kornholio, the biggest Bush lover of them all, apologized last night and said he made a big mistake. We've gotten the apologies
Old 12-02-2008   #17
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Texan Bill hasn't seen the title yet
He has...he's with his writers.
Old 12-02-2008   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Hoover View Post
I watched the tv broadcast this morning and they were saying how smart Casserly was for picking Mario...lol
Dude. They ALL say that. Especially the CBS crew. Man, they looooove to bring that up when they can. "Hey, everybody! Our very own Casserly made that choice. Wisest man in all of football, and he's on CBS! We're smarter than those others stoopid broadcasting companies."

I mean, if they don't understand that there was no way McNair and crew were going to let a lame-duck, outgoing GM help them make a critical decision that affected a new HC...then, good gosh.

That'd be like an outgoing President being allowed to appoint people to an important position for the incoming President to be responsible for.

But there it is: The neat little footnote on Casserly's career. He is credited for the pick.
Old 12-03-2008   #19
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Good point. Trading our first round pick in xchange for those 2 was a great move !
As bad as Smith & Kubiak have performed in FA, they've performed as well to the other extreme in the college Draft.
I give em alot of credit, but they have a few glaring blunders in the draft. The main one that kills me everytime I see a San Fran box score is Willis. I die a little inside when I think of what he would look like in the middle, with Demeco and Adibi on the outside.
Old 12-03-2008   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I give em alot of credit, but they have a few glaring blunders in the draft. The main one that kills me everytime I see a San Fran box score is Willis. I die a little inside when I think of what he would look like in the middle, with Demeco and Adibi on the outside.
I'd like to see Adibi put on at least 10 lbs in the off-season. He'd be even more effective with a little more weight and learning how to keep blockers from getting inside. Heck, with his speed he just might end up on my Beast list.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read