Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2008   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Last Night Proved That Richard Smith Needs To Go

For the second game in a row, Richard Smith dialed up the blitz last night, and it worked. He actually had a few clever defensive plays mixed in as well. He proved last night that, while these players aren't the best, they can be put in better positions than what he's put them in before. He basically proved last night that he's been a terrible defensive coordinator for the first 9 games.

I am 100% on the Fire Smith bandwagon now.
Old 12-02-2008   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Last Night Proved That Richard Smith Needs To Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
For the second game in a row, Richard Smith dialed up the blitz last night, and it worked. He actually had a few clever defensive plays mixed in as well. He proved last night that, while these players aren't the best, they can be put in better positions than what he's put them in before. He basically proved last night that he's been a terrible defensive coordinator for the first 9 games.

He's done this every year for 3 years.

I keep making the same posts on this topic, every year, for the past three years: Why is he JUST now dialing up the creative playcalling?

My only theory is that he's trying to be conservative in the early-going of each season, trying to limit the risk-taking early on. And then he's unleashing the beasts when it's apparent that we're out of the playoff race. There's nothing to lose, at this point, so he throws caution to the wind. Posters' replies to this theory is that it's really due to Richard not having quality players, or that there are injuries that hamper his playcalling...that he HAS to be reserved and cautious due to circumstances outside his control. Hogwash.

Each year he saves his job with this tactic. There's no excuse for it. You can be aggressive all year long, Richard. If your defense gets burned, you get burned. But either way, the potential is there to get 30+ hung on your defense. So wouldn't it be wise to dial up the pressure the whole year and let the chips fall where they may?
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I just assume that he has lost some responsibility after the defense continued to give up 30+ points a game....these "new" blitzing schemes have come after the season was in the tank and mean nothing. In most management situations if you don't fire the guy in charge you take down some of his responsibility and give it to the other 825 assistant head coaches we have.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #4
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

yeah, the Texans don't even play to win until there is nothing left to play for...lame.

as for Smith, the defense has looked better but that just makes Richard Smith look worse. I have held the belief that we have had enough talent and personnel to play NFL defense aggressively, we just never had the nads to do so. Now that Smith knows he is gone (and he better be), he is actually playing to win and being aggressive....too bad that attitude is about 60 games too late.

and it was nice to see Mario come to play more than he has lately. maybe he should bring that intensity every week considering the huge pile of money he is paid to play football for us. i love Mario, but we need him to become a leader for us and to be our Ray Lewis. Our on the field leader both in his example AND his voice. He needs to bring the intensity a little more consistently....oh and he could use some help. We need a good defensive coaching staff to impart their wisdom to Mario so he can share and utilize that knowledge himself.

oh and it was nice to see Ryans make some plays too but the poor guy is hurt. its quite obvious and was even obvious last night. he can't 'finish' right now and probably needs to shut it down or risk injury which could jeopardize the 2009 campaign.

At least the Texans are winning and Weaver is actually making plays. The guy has been a no show for 2.7 years and now we are seeing him play like we thought he would when he was signed

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 12-02-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
yeah, the Texans don't even play to win until there is nothing left to play for...lame.

as for Smith, the defense has looked better but that just makes Richard Smith look worse. I have held the belief that we have had enough talent and personnel to play NFL defense aggressively, we just never had the nads to do so. Now that Smith knows he is gone (and he better be), he is actually playing to win and being aggressive....too bad that attitude is about 60 games too late.

and it was nice to see Mario come to play more than he has lately. maybe he should bring that intensity every week considering the huge pile of money he is paid to play football for us. i love Mario, but we need him to become a leader for us and to be our Ray Lewis. Our on the field leader both in his example AND his voice. He needs to bring the intensity a little more consistently....oh and he could use some help. We need a good defensive coaching staff to impart their wisdom to Mario so he can share and utilize that knowledge himself.

oh and it was nice to see Ryans make some plays too but the poor guy is hurt. its quite obvious and was even obvious last night. he can't 'finish' right now and probably needs to shut it down or risk injury which could jeopardize his 2009 career.

At least the Texans are winning and Weaver is actually making plays. The guy has been a no show for 2.7 years and now we are seeing him play like we thought he would when he was signed
I'll disagree with you on that. Mario has been tearing it up every week. The sack numbers aren't there, but if you iso on him, he is doing his job and then some. It's the other slugs on the line that haven't been doing well, in general. Deljuan Robinson and Tim Bulman have probably been our two best D-line guys outside of Mario, and that's pretty pathetic.
Old 12-02-2008   #6
headsplint
All Pro

Rep Power: 1333 headsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll disagree with you on that. Mario has been tearing it up every week. The sack numbers aren't there, but if you iso on him, he is doing his job and then some. It's the other slugs on the line that haven't been doing well, in general. Deljuan Robinson and Tim Bulman have probably been our two best D-line guys outside of Mario, and that's pretty pathetic.
Yeah I don't think it's fair to say he hasn't been bringing every week, all I see is him pressuring the QB every game. He is always in the backfield causing a disruption.
Old 12-02-2008   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

There is only one captain of the ship. And it isn't Richard Smith. Richard Smith is doing exactly, precisely what he is told to do. Either you take Kubiak and his warts or you don't. What's happened over the last couple of games the non athletic will backer got hurt and they were forced to go with the Adibi. Nothing more. Reeves is playing better and Weaver's playing better.

They still can't block anyone in short yardage situations and on the goal line. After three years of it....they ain't changing. Meyer is your starter ..no matter what. Kubiak is going with four man pressure cover seven. Why ? They've been doing it in Denver that way for fourty years. And it isn't going to change next season either. Bring only four, cover with seven...your ulcers...just the way it is.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-02-2008 at 01:13 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2008   #8
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
the young guys have been great and maybe moves should have been made earlier. now that they have started giving guys a chance, the former starters are forced to elevate their game in order to get playing time (ex.Weaver's recent form)

I am not saying that Mario sucks or that he hasn't played well, I just think he has lacked the intensity that I expect from the leader of the defense. he needs to play with a chip on his shoulder every game not just when its on national television. If he can bring that intensity against the Titans in Reliant, i'll be happy. It won't be national television, but its TNT. the true rivalry.

Old 12-02-2008   #9
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

He can go and take baby Shanny with him for all I care. I don't know who was calling that goal line stance after SS got ran out of bounds, BUT, to run him again THREE freaking times right up the middle, when even the most uneducated fan in the stands knows the boy is NOT A POWER BACK, just reeks of incompetance to me. Shanny or Kubes, I don't know, BUT, my section of the BP was ready to bolt to the sidelines and shove Kubiaks play card where the sun don't shine!!!

As for RS, that's a NO brainer!! The man needs to be somewhere other than HOUSTON, unless he wants to coach high school ball.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #10
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
He can go and take baby Shanny with him for all I care. I don't know who was calling that goal line stance after SS got ran out of bounds, BUT, to run him again THREE freaking times right up the middle, when even the most uneducated fan in the stands knows the boy is NOT A POWER BACK, just reeks of incompetance to me. Shanny or Kubes, I don't know, BUT, my section of the BP was ready to bolt to the sidelines and shove Kubiaks play card where the sun don't shine!!!

As for RS, that's a NO brainer!! The man needs to be somewhere other than HOUSTON, unless he wants to coach high school ball.
i think Kubiak was trying to reward Slaton and it just got a little out of hand. Slaton needs some help and hopefully we can find someone in the 1st half of the draft that could come in and be our LenWhale White.
Old 12-02-2008   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That was indeed a terribly called series of plays. I hope someone grills Kubiak over that because that poor series at the goal line could very well have been the difference in the score against a better team. You don't "reward" a player by giving him the ball 3 times in a row. You get the TD the most expedient way possible and then reward the team with a "W" if you do things the right way.
Old 12-02-2008   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:

Well, the flip side of that is all the posters on here that complained when we needed short yardage to seal the game against Indy (Rosencopter) - they all posted how incompetent Kubiak was for not just running it up the gut on that play. These same posters have also complained about putting the ball in Rosenfail's hands in the red zone, noting his red zone turnovers. So if you don't trust your QB in the red zone, and you don't have a RB that can get short yardage, what do you do?

Seems to me that Kubiak is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't on this message board.
Old 12-02-2008   #13
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
i think Kubiak was trying to reward Slaton and it just got a little out of hand. Slaton needs some help and hopefully we can find someone in the 1st half of the draft that could come in and be our LenWhale White.
I'm hoping for Coffee out of Alabama. I've watched every one of their games this year, and early on, I was hoping he'd slip in under the radar, but I think he'll be a little higher profile now, especially if Alabama somehow beats Florida. Coffee would be a perfect back to pair with Slaton, IMO.

Anyway, not to derail my own thread ....
Old 12-02-2008   #14
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope it really happens.
Old 12-02-2008   #15
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well, the flip side of that is all the posters on here that complained when we needed short yardage to seal the game against Indy (Rosencopter) - they all posted how incompetent Kubiak was for not just running it up the gut on that play. These same posters have also complained about putting the ball in Rosenfail's hands in the red zone, noting his red zone turnovers. So if you don't trust your QB in the red zone, and you don't have a RB that can get short yardage, what do you do?

Seems to me that Kubiak is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't on this message board.
a quality coach has a lot of options even if he doesn't have the prototype goal-line back. you can run bootlegs, pitch plays, shovel passes, playaction with a tackle eligibile, jumpball to AJ, and many others. Kubiak was being way too conservative and way too stubborn.
Old 12-02-2008   #16
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Coffee would be nice but hopefully later in the draft. I am hoping that Jenkins or Orakpo falls to us in the draft. The more we win the less likely it becomes, but you never know.
Old 12-02-2008   #17
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So if you don't trust your QB in the red zone, and you don't have a RB that can get short yardage, what do you do?
Give Moats a shot at it. SS is fantastic, BUT, he's no Earl Campbell. The boy had just made a fantastic run, had 300+lb LBs shove his cute little butt in the dirt, and Kubes brings him back for more punishment! We've finally found that RB with a spark of life that just ignites the team, and the fans. Why abuse him? Find him some help during the off season and lets start making plans to see him in the Pro Bowl NEXT year!!

Sorry, this threads about our DC. But, had to vent!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
with thousands of members and hundreds of active posters who'd a thuk we would have multiple opinions on this huh? I think it's nice we aren't all dittoheads when it comes to sports opinion and just run with John McClain's opinions or the Texans shiny happy website mantras...now if we can just find a way to take that out of our politics....

Old 12-02-2008   #19
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
I'm hoping for Coffee out of Alabama. I've watched every one of their games this year, and early on, I was hoping he'd slip in under the radar, but I think he'll be a little higher profile now, especially if Alabama somehow beats Florida. Coffee would be a perfect back to pair with Slaton, IMO.

Anyway, not to derail my own thread ....
I'm not going to derail your thread, but if u want that bigger,power guy, why not trade a 4th for Mike Bush? The guy from Jacksonville, Greg Jones would be that kind of guy. Also Davenport is a big quick feet back. No matter what big back you want, if the center is on skates and allows penetration, its not going to matter.
Old 12-02-2008   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I'm not going to derail your thread, but if u want that bigger,power guy, why not trade a 4th for Mike Bush? The guy from Jacksonville, Greg Jones would be that kind of guy. Also Davenport is a big quick feet back. No matter what big back you want, if the center is on skates and allows penetration, its not going to matter.
why? No way the Raiders part with Bush for a 4. Davenport was already a FA and we passed and if you haven't noticed Greg Jones gets very few carries in short yardage...let's like pass on those ideas.

I will say that I agree with you on Myers....he was blown up to high heaven in the red zone...just owned.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read