Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-02-2008   #1
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27501 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan
Default New Tactic in Acquiring FA's?

Now I don't claim to be a lawyer, some on here are, and they can respond accordingly. But I don't think what's going on with Plaxico Burress in New York would be an illegal act here in Texas. We already have a carry permit available, and it's my understanding they are discussing an open carry law here in Texas.

With that said, I propose we look at the waiver wire, find those athletes that are in areas with stringent gun control laws, and sell that as a reason to come play football in Houston You can argue either side, I'm not political, just an opportunist. Dallas picked up Tank Johnson after he was charged with firearms violations in Chicago.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New Tactic in Acquiring FA's?

So you want to go and purposefully sign all the NFL players that have gotten in trouble for violating gun laws and bring them here?

I think McNair's BoyScout Filter will catch it
Old 12-02-2008   #3
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27501 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I'm not in favor of McNair's self imposed Boy Scout rule, but I don't think it's necessary to acquire only players with gun violations from other teams either. We'd have limited options, as the only two I'm aware of, are Tank Johnson, and now Plexico Burress.

My point is more along the lines of something I read on Dunta Robinson. He stated, since his home invasion, he's glad he carry's a gun now. Throw in what happened to the kid from Washington, and there is probably an underlying current of fear among NFL players for their own personal safety.

Whether we agree or disagree on guns, doesn't mean this couldn't be a useful tool
Old 12-02-2008   #4
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 19109 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
Now I don't claim to be a lawyer, some on here are, and they can respond accordingly. But I don't think what's going on with Plaxico Burress in New York would be an illegal act here in Texas. We already have a carry permit available, and it's my understanding they are discussing an open carry law here in Texas.

With that said, I propose we look at the waiver wire, find those athletes that are in areas with stringent gun control laws, and sell that as a reason to come play football in Houston You can argue either side, I'm not political, just an opportunist. Dallas picked up Tank Johnson after he was charged with firearms violations in Chicago.
Taking a gun into a bar/club that serves alcohol and that club or bar derives 51% of its business from the sale or service of alcohol is illegal in Texas. Even if you have a carry permit. If you go to the DPS site they explain it in more detail and lawyer speak.

The fact that Plaxico did it in NYC, a place with very strict gun laws, makes his actions seem even more dumb.
Old 12-02-2008   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

A lot of NFL players own guns. It is not illegal for them to own guns.

The knuckleheads like Tank and Burress are precisely the people we don't want here. They are the ones who own guns but don't follow the rules about them.

Dunta owns a gun now. But he doesn't go flaunting it at a club because he's not a dumbass.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #6
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESAD2-14 View Post
The fact that Plaxico did it in NYC, a place with very strict gun laws, makes his actions seem even more dumb.
Plaxico dumb, or maybe just a dumb law? And from what I read, he shot himself inside his vehicle.
Old 12-02-2008   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Plaxico dumb, or maybe just a dumb law? And from what I read, he shot himself inside his vehicle.
If those words are used that closely to that question then the answer is yes.
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2008   #8
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 19109 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would say Plaxico = dumb on this one. He essentially broke the law at least twice in NYC. I am pretty sure any hand gun you own there has to be registered through the local authorities(state law), plus the whole potentially having taken it into a club thing.

Guns and alcohol generally do not make a good combo. Hence the reason guns are not allowed in most bars or clubs even down here in Texas.

Is it Plaxico or Plexico?
Old 12-02-2008   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESAD2-14 View Post
...Is it Plaxico or Plexico?
Spelled Plaxico, but I hear it pronounced Plex and Plax
Old 12-02-2008   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think no state income tax is a selling point for us to use. Looser gun laws might not be the best idea. You develop a marketing campaign (for players not fans) that stresses why your team would be the best fit for them. You don't go after any player, you go after the players you want... ie the player has to fit to mold of who your trying to market your team to. Trying to sell the gun control issue would be catering to a different crowd of players that we're not interested in.

We could also tell them that we have less stringent drug testing (which I'm assuming is NOT true), but if it were we could use that one... again though, we're just catering to the wrong crowd and targeting players that we don't want.

In turn, we could also be pushing quality players away.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I think no state income tax is a selling point for us to use. Looser gun laws might not be the best idea. You develop a marketing campaign (for players not fans) that stresses why your team would be the best fit for them. You don't go after any player, you go after the players you want... ie the player has to fit to mold of who your trying to market your team to. Trying to sell the gun control issue would be catering to a different crowd of players that we're not interested in.

We could also tell them that we have less stringent drug testing (which I'm assuming is NOT true), but if it were we could use that one... again though, we're just catering to the wrong crowd and targeting players that we don't want.

In turn, we could also be pushing quality players away.
IIRC, This was one of the main reasons Reggie Bush wanted us to draft him.

I think he mentioned it in an interview.
Old 12-02-2008   #12
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Yep, the no State Income Tax is the wiener by far, but my at 5am in the morning, and watching ESNYGIANTSPN, it was a concept I came up with....forgive my lack of coffee, can't have it after the surgery last monday LOL
Old 12-02-2008   #13
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I just can't stop laughing at the humor of this whole fiasco.

Can you imagine what's going to happen if he goes to prison? He's going to get beat up so many times for being stupid enough to go to prison for shooting himself. ROFL

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
I just can't stop laughing at the humor of this whole fiasco.

Can you imagine what's going to happen if he goes to prison? He's going to get beat up so many times for being stupid enough to go to prison for shooting himself. ROFL
He could join Vick's football team. Vick's all time QB so would Plax be all time WR? sheesh. The NPL (national prison league) may be the way to go for most of these players.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read