Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2008   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Slaton @ Halftime - "I wanted to run the ball,"

Good thing he approached Kubiak I guess. I was wasn't happy early in the game when we ran the ball well, then we started chunking the ball and Sage almost throws a pick...then we put out our version of the Wildcat offense. I call it the Wildcrap offense where you put in a WR instead of a running back and watch him run around like a chicken with his head cut off on National TV. Slaton gets up to full speed faster than any back I've seen here. He may not be the fastest player on the field but he is running at top speed in a matter of a few steps.

Quote:
"I didn't run the ball enough in the first half," Kubiak said. "We got out of whack a little, I did, play-call wise. The rookie came up to me at halftime. Here's a rookie, grabs me by the shirt and says, 'I'm OK, give me the ball.' Watching him get stronger at the end of the game was very impressive."
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?STORY_ID=4943

Quote:
HOUSTON -- Steve Slaton wanted the ball more.

So the rookie marched up to Houston coach Gary Kubiak at halftime, grabbed him by the shirt and told him so.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=281201034

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Slaton @ Halftime - "I wanted to run the ball,"

So much for Mr. "dead legs" huh........can we all agree now that Kubiak was just blowing crap out of his behind during that press conference? My geuss is Mr. Steve got tired of the media BJ given to Chris Johnson even when he had had better stats most of the year. Steve Slaton is legit.....just need to find that "bash" (to quote a Titan) player.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 12-02-2008 at 12:47 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
So much for Mr. "dead legs" huh........can we all agree now that Kubiak was just blowing crap out of his behind during that press conference?
I thought we had all agreed on that two weeks ago?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #4
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

It was a nice try I thought. It's not like we wasted a bunch of plays on offense to see if it would work. Just one of those things where you try to catch the defense sleeping. Didn't work.

Good players know how to communicate with the coach, and good coaches know how to respond. I thought we coached one of our best games of the season today.

The MNF viewers should be impressed with the Texans tonight.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If we run the Wildcat, we should at least put OD back there.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

drunk post.

Last edited by Scooter; 12-02-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

short post game Slaton interview on espn
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...goryId=2378529

Slaton highlights from the .com

Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2008   #8
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
short post game Slaton interview on espn
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...goryId=2378529

Slaton highlights from the .com
Like I said......he kinda gives the big F. U. to Chris Johnson, Slaton aint scared. LOL.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #9
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
follow vonta friggin leach! even on the smash screen release or both going untouched to the endzone vonta's the spear head. likewise great blocking schemes by gibbs and kubiak. the first run is my favorite though because it showcases leach, scheme, and slaton is "slippery" is the best term - he's got incredible balance.
Old 12-02-2008   #10
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
So much for Mr. "dead legs" huh........can we all agree now that Kubiak was just blowing crap out of his behind during that press conference? My geuss is Mr. Steve got tired of the media BJ given to Chris Johnson even when he had had better stats most of the year. Steve Slaton is legit.....just need to find that "bash" (to quote a Titan) player.
I thought that Slaton had some bruised ribs or something a couple weeks back...I really don't see all the hate people are throwing at Kubiak. Kubiak thought Slaton needed a little time off, so he didn't play him heavily one game, then, the next two games Slaton plays exceptionally well. Can we at least attribute SOME credit to Slaton's good play to a little rest during the season? I mean, especially now where we have no legit backup, Slaton is going to be getting a lot of play calls his way, and I'd rather have a rested Slaton than one who might be running out of gas.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #11
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
follow vonta friggin leach! even on the smash screen release or both going untouched to the endzone vonta's the spear head. likewise great blocking schemes by gibbs and kubiak. the first run is my favorite though because it showcases leach, scheme, and slaton is "slippery" is the best term - he's got incredible balance.
Leach is the man!
Old 12-02-2008   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I thought that Slaton had some bruised ribs or something a couple weeks back...I really don't see all the hate people are throwing at Kubiak. Kubiak thought Slaton needed a little time off, so he didn't play him heavily one game, then, the next two games Slaton plays exceptionally well. Can we at least attribute SOME credit to Slaton's good play to a little rest during the season? I mean, especially now where we have no legit backup, Slaton is going to be getting a lot of play calls his way, and I'd rather have a rested Slaton than one who might be running out of gas.
I'm not gonna give Kubiak "credit" for Slaton being good because he stated he "rested" Slaton for the Colt game. The season was on the line when Kubiak stated he "rested" Slaton vs the Ratbirds...it's been a different season since we lost the Ratbird game and consequently lost all hope for the playoffs in that game. "A little rest during the season" during such a pivotal game was weak coachspeak in my eyes. A great move for a team that has a losing mentality. He had to go in and grab the coach by the shirt Monday night....give him the damn ball. What did we save him for anyway? Garbage time?

Old 12-02-2008   #13
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not gonna give Kubiak "credit" for Slaton being good because he stated he "rested" Slaton for the Colt game. The season was on the line when Kubiak stated he "rested" Slaton vs the Ratbirds...it's been a different season since we lost the Ratbird game and consequently lost all hope for the playoffs in that game. "A little rest during the season" during such a pivotal game was weak coachspeak in my eyes. A great move for a team that has a losing mentality. He had to go in and grab the coach by the shirt Monday night....give him the damn ball. What did we save him for anyway? Garbage time?
He's been injured and I don't think they ever said when exactly Slaton got the chest bruise
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good thing he approached Kubiak I guess. I was wasn't happy early in the game when we ran the ball well, then we started chunking the ball and Sage almost throws a pick...then we put out our version of the Wildcat offense. I call it the Wildcrap offense where you put in a WR instead of a running back and watch him run around like a chicken with his head cut off on National TV. Slaton gets up to full speed faster than any back I've seen here. He may not be the fastest player on the field but he is running at top speed in a matter of a few steps.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=281201034
So maybe our defense got better because Dunta or Mario walked up to Kubiak and told him we need to blitz more.

I was seeing and thinking the same thing when we suddenly just stopped trying to run on these guys after doing it fairly well for a quarter. It's like we got up by 10 and then suddenly Kubiak and Shanahan decided to start trying to get cute on national television. I was screaming at my TV and pulling my hair out watching them pull that junk out.

I think that this story could be cause for concern. Kubiak shouldn't need to have players come up to him and tell him what he's doing wrong in order to get the gameplan back on track. I hope this is nothing more than an amusing anecdote and not indicative of what's really driving our attack.
Old 12-02-2008   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
He's been injured and I don't think they ever said when exactly Slaton got the chest bruise
He had a 70 yard run called back in that same game.....I still call BS since all the players are hurt this time of year.

Old 12-02-2008   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
So maybe our defense got better because Dunta or Mario walked up to Kubiak and told him we need to blitz more.

I was seeing and thinking the same thing when we suddenly just stopped trying to run on these guys after doing it fairly well for a quarter. It's like we got up by 10 and then suddenly Kubiak and Shanahan decided to start trying to get cute on national television. I was screaming at my TV and pulling my hair out watching them pull that junk out.

I think that this story could be cause for concern. Kubiak shouldn't need to have players come up to him and tell him what he's doing wrong in order to get the gameplan back on track. I hope this is nothing more than an amusing anecdote and not indicative of what's really driving our attack.
It's not gonna shock you but Kubiak said....
Quote:
"I didn't run the ball enough in the first half," Kubiak said.
Where have we heard that before?

Old 12-02-2008   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want to take anything away from Slaton, but he was completely untouched on his TD runs. There were holes large enough to drive my Chevy through without hitting the mirrors. Congrats to the Oline are in order as well if you ask me.

That said, I'm happy we finally have a RB with great speed and vision. I still want another RB to pair with him though.

Old 12-02-2008   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I don't want to take anything away from Slaton, but he was completely untouched on his TD runs. There were holes large enough to drive my Chevy through without hitting the mirrors. Congrats to the Oline are in order as well if you ask me.

That said, I'm happy we finally have a RB with great speed and vision. I still want another RB to pair with him though.

Slaton gets to full speed faster than any back I've seen here at this franchise...just takes a couple of steps and bam, hes running full speed...don't even try to tell me Ron Dayne gets that kind of yardage with those holes.

Old 12-02-2008   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He had a 70 yard run called back in that same game.....I still call BS since all the players are hurt this time of year.
True. If you can't be effective when you're dinged up you're damn near useless to an NFL team because everybody is going to play at least 6-8 games a year "dinged up" in the best of seasons.

I can't help but think that Slaton was fine and that Kubiak is overthinking this stuff a lot of the time and/or just throwing some bull out there to answer the questions which makes him look foolish once it's quoted and people get a chance to mull it over.
Old 12-02-2008   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Slaton gets to full speed faster than any back I've seen here at this franchise....don't even try to tell me Ron Dayne gets that kind of yardage with those holes.
I agree, Vinny. It's speed we've never seen in the back field.

Please don't get me started on Dayne. He would've missed the holes anyways.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read