Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2008   #1
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 53247 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiak, Richard Smith, Robinson/Reeves, Leach

i'm going off on a tangent here folks ... please see my sig.

i'll take it in order of the title and we'll begin with kubiak. as always a 95% great game called. we drop 30 without trying and had a poor game in that regard (leaving atleast 10 points on the board) ... for all the flaws, for all the questions, there IS NOT a better offensive coach or a grand design coach available. that 5% is absolutely brutal though and i'm targeting specifically the 3rd down from the goal line. this one i'm struggling to put on kubiak but he's the target - the fault goes to the booth. all game jacksonville is over persuing and were set up on both 2nd and 3rd down for either a naked boot or pitch left away from the strong side motion (see every play action) - touchdown was written down after the time out .... except we ran the same dang play. this is why teams lose games - these tendancies need to be acknowledged and exploited.

richard smith deserves ZERO credit for our defensive performance. demeco ryans, eugene wilson, and mario williams coached one hell of a game. we are looking at on the fly adjustments from the personnel. we attacked, we motioned, we moved, and i saw no indication that it was scheme ... what i saw was pre-snap reads and individual disguises with freedom to decisively execute.

i've said multiple times that dunta robinson makes this defense. not because of dunta as a player himself, but because dunta encloses our holes. one hole that i've been biting my tongue on all season is jacques reeves. reeves is a VERY strong player .... in the right situation. in anything but, he's a target. many folks have a problem with our cb's playing a side but this is it - reeves is a (defensive) left side player. when chasing he has a crick in his neck, he can only look over his left shoulder. on that side he's comfortable in his backpedal. same as bennett last season, reeves is beautiful as a complimenterary player. we saw it all over the field today - on the left reeves is in the run game, he's a blanket in coverage. in tight formations where reeves moves to the defensive right, he's again a target in both run/pass situations. he doesnt have DUNTA ROBINSON to enclose our weakness - on tight and right situations is when we need bennett. we have 3 great cornerbacks in my opinion ... we still need a centerfielder, but if dunta's healthy i fully believe in our cb's.

finally, vonta friggin leach! seriously. i've made it known here that i love fullbacks because of what they do without being seen and i enjoy watching them in every game. vonta leach is the best fullback in the NFL this season.
Old 12-02-2008   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak, Richard Smith, Robinson/Reeves, Leach

what gets me about Leach.. he is physical.. and is the anti-OL of what we have.. Leach seems to be big,strong and destroy things in his path.. but our OL is light and finesse
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #3
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 53247 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
what gets me about Leach.. he is physical.. and is the anti-OL of what we have.. Leach seems to be big,strong and destroy things in his path.. but our OL is light and finesse
exactly. same as denver's succesful fullbacks. kyle johnson was one of my favorites because he's the same player - brute force to denver's finesse. the opposite with richardson and the chiefs.
Old 12-02-2008   #4
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually feel like Richard Smith called his best game of the season. It's just too abd he waits till the 2nd half of the season to call a good game. Calling good games when it doesn't count doesn't get you anywhere so I still feel he needs to be replaced.

Reeves was actually impressive in this game and with better coaching I feel he can become one of the better nickel backs in this league. He probably shouldn't be a starter, but he isn't terrible in that role, which is more than I can say about our #2 CB in years past.

I'd also like to add that Dunta is coming back very quickly. I did not expect him to be where he is at this point. Credit to him and the medical staff. The guy is back on track and next year, like Stella, he should be able to get his groove back.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #5
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and i'm targeting specifically the 3rd down from the goal line. this one i'm struggling to put on kubiak but he's the target - the fault goes to the booth. all game jacksonville is over persuing and were set up on both 2nd and 3rd down for either a naked boot or pitch left away from the strong side motion (see every play action) - touchdown was written down after the time out .... except we ran the same dang play. this is why teams lose games - these tendancies need to be acknowledged and exploited.
well at 4-7 you gotta figure you're out of the race. Kubiak ran how many fourth and short at the first half of the season ? How many were successful ? the only reason we beat Miami is because thier new head coach refused to go for it on a fourth and short on his end of the feild. He goes for it. We lose. Tonight, we had our first fourth down stop in twelve opportunities in twelve games. 1-11.

What we know for a fact after tonight....Is Meyers isn't worth a damn in goal line situations. Between the twenties he's fine and he can finess it. On the goal line he sucks. So...either they got to change him out in the off season....or they draft a bruising RB. That play was designed to find out about Meyers & Slaton ...and he did.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-02-2008 at 12:44 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
well at 4-7 you gotta figure you out of the race. Kubiak ran how many fourth and short at the first half of the season ? How many were successful ? the only reason we beat Miami is because thier new head coach refused to go for it on a fourth and short on his end of the feild. He goes for it. We lose. Tonight, we had our first fourth down stop in twelve opportunities in twelve games. 1-11.

What we know for a fact after tonight....Is Meyers isn't worth a damn in goal line situations. Between the twenties he's fine and he can finess it. On the goal line he sucks. So...either they got to change him out in the off season....or they draft a bruising RB. That play was designed to find out about Meyers & Slaton ...and he did.
Threetoedpete you are the OL man around here. I agree 100%.

Meyers showed today that he needs to be replaced. He was dominated on that goal line stand by JAX.

With a new center, an injection of competition at RG, and another above average RB we could have a top 15 running game on a week to week basis.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I actually feel like Richard Smith called his best game of the season. It's just too abd he waits till the 2nd half of the season to call a good game. Calling good games when it doesn't count doesn't get you anywhere so I still feel he needs to be replaced.

Reeves was actually impressive in this game and with better coaching I feel he can become one of the better nickel backs in this league. He probably shouldn't be a starter, but he isn't terrible in that role, which is more than I can say about our #2 CB in years past.

I'd also like to add that Dunta is coming back very quickly. I did not expect him to be where he is at this point. Credit to him and the medical staff. The guy is back on track and next year, like Stella, he should be able to get his groove back.
There is only one ring master on this team. And it isn't Richard Smith. Richard Smith does what he is told to do. Eventually the rest of the board will figure that out.
Old 12-02-2008   #8
Scooter
Funky

ttp i'm missing what you're saying. you quoted me questioning our goalline playcalling and went off on 4th downs.

i think myers is an outstanding backup ... he's not a starter though and i doubt many (if any) teams would see him as more. the texans need to keep him as a great backup and depth, but we need to draft someone with more lead in their pants to anchor the interior line.
Old 12-02-2008   #9
will742
Nukkkk

Rep Power: 102 will742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to will742

Leach for president. I guess I would settle for the pro-bowl though.
will742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #10
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13104 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
ttp i'm missing what you're saying. you quoted me questioning our goalline playcalling and went off on 4th downs.

i think myers is an outstanding backup ... he's not a starter though and i doubt many (if any) teams would see him as more. the texans need to keep him as a great backup and depth, but we need to draft someone with more lead in their pants to anchor the interior line.
A couple weeks ago, Kubes was crucified for calling a pass on a goaline situation. People said that he was getting "cute" and should have just run teh ball down their throats instead of giving Sage an opportunity to mess up. And now, when he does run teh ball, people complain that he should have called a naked boot...oh wait! Wasn't that the play call people ALSO complained about being called on the Rosencopter play?
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #11
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
A couple weeks ago, Kubes was crucified for calling a pass on a goaline situation. People said that he was getting "cute" and should have just run teh ball down their throats instead of giving Sage an opportunity to mess up. And now, when he does run teh ball, people complain that he should have called a naked boot...oh wait! Wasn't that the play call people ALSO complained about being called on the Rosencopter play?
i dont remember kubiak being crucified on the call ... if anything the problem was kubiak NOT making the call, it was sage unable to hear the play and rushing his own play. i remember sage being dumb as a stump for throwing to a 350lb nose tackle while the route was wide open. i remember rosencopter being a great playcall again ruined by sage creating his own personal disaster. i've got the games on dvr if you'd like a personal breakdown of the playcalling. there's a theme here - sage doing too much and forcing situations. it hurts me as much as anyone to say that we fail to execute, but that's just it ... the design works, our quarterbacks have found ways to implode. to argue otherwise with a top 4 offense is illogical.

in this situation however i'm not even calling for the quarterback, i'm reading the defense again in overpersuit as they were all game. still, i've got the dvr if you'd like to see the jags' youth chasing the play. pitch, boot, tightend leak ... these are the playcalls that should've been sent down from the booth, especially after the time out.
Old 12-02-2008   #12
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post

I think Richard Smith is only D Coordinator in name. I think they have given play calling to Frank Bush. There is too much of a difference in what we do now oppposed to 3 games ago. It is like we have a different coach.
Old 12-02-2008   #13
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I didn't mind that they decided to run it 3 times in a row near the goal line. What I didn't like was it looked like they ran the same play 3 times in a row, to the right of the center, inside of the tackle. What about maybe running outside of the tackle, to the left, on a stretch play?

I also didn't like the Jacoby Jones lined up as the QB play at the time that they did it. I felt like it was getting too cute and it cost them that drive.
Old 12-02-2008   #14
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

On the Kubiak issue, I think he has been handcuffed in the play calling by Sage the last couple of games. To me, it is obvious he doesn't trust Sage at all and is trying his best to keep Sage from becoming Rosencopter during the games.

Hopefully, Smith is not saving his job with the last few games.

Robinson=

Reeves sure saved Sage's butt with that interception. I can't hate on him, he has made some big plays for us.

Leach: see Robinson
Old 12-02-2008   #15
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 18579 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I think Richard Smith is only D Coordinator in name. I think they have given play calling to Frank Bush. There is too much of a difference in what we do now oppposed to 3 games ago. It is like we have a different coach.
I think you are correct. There is such a difference in the defense over the past few games.
More so noticeable in last nights game.

Untill they went into the prevent defense. What a joke. We were stopping them all night till then. Why change and let them get 2 TD's?.
Old 12-02-2008   #16
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 67619 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't see a problem with running it 3 times from the one yard line.

If you can't gain 1 yard on three attempts it's not a coaching problem, it's an O-line problem. Myers got pushed backwards into Slaton's running lane all 3 times.
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read