Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Who should win the Maxwell Award?
Graham Harrell - Texas Tech 5 23.81%
Colt McCoy - Texas 14 66.67%
Tim Tebow - Florida 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2008   #1
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Maxwell Award

Awarded to the nation's most outstanding offensive player.

Graham Harrell, Texas Tech - 4747 Passing Yards, 41-7 TD:INT, 71.5% Completion, 6 Rushing TDs

Colt McCoy, Texas - 3445 Passing Yards, 32-7 TD:INT, 77.6% Completion, 576 Rushing Yards, 10 TDs

Tim Tebow, Florida - 2299 Passing Yards, 25-2 TD:INT, 65.0% Completion, 507 Rushing Yards, 12 TDs
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #2
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man
Default Re: Maxwell Award

I think Colt will win this one, but not the Heisman
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #3
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

McCoy deserves it.... keeping up with the likes of Bradford & Harrell in the air while still able to be your team's leading rusher with 10 rush TD's on the ground is ridiculous for a qb. Not really a contest to be honest.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #4
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Harrell gets the Maxwell. With 1300 more yards and 9 more TDs then McCoy, Harrell is hard to overllok; and while McCoy's comp % is sickening Harrell's is still over 70% (and Harrell has a bunch more attempts). McCoy is UTs leading rusher because UT has used several backs this year, not because Colt is the best rusher on the team. That's not to say that Colt hasn't run the ball tremendously this year, becaause he has.

McCoy should get the Heismen though.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I think Harrell gets the Maxwell. With 1300 more yards and 9 more TDs then McCoy, Harrell is hard to overllok; and while McCoy's comp % is sickening Harrell's is still over 70% (and Harrell has a bunch more attempts). McCoy is UTs leading rusher because UT has used several backs this year, not because Colt is the best rusher on the team. That's not to say that Colt hasn't run the ball tremendously this year, becaause he has.

He also has much more yards and TDs because he has way more attempts too. Can't have it both ways.
Old 12-01-2008   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
...McCoy is UTs leading rusher because UT has used several backs this year, not because Colt is the best rusher on the team....
Including sacks, McCoy is getting 4.5 yards per carry.

Ogbonnaya is at 5.3

Johnson is at 4.6

Whittaker is at 4.5

McGee is at 4.3

If you exclude sacks, which count against rushing yards in college football (which I disagree with, I prefer the NFL's system), then McCoy is at 6.7 per rushing attempt. Far better than any of the backs.
Old 12-01-2008   #7
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

doesn't matter, he's still been their most effective rusher. If any of the guys were better at the moment, they wouldn't have to use 3 different rb's.
Sponsored links
Old 12-01-2008   #8
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
He also has much more yards and TDs because he has way more attempts too. Can't have it both ways.
That's fine, if you then factor in that Harrell's 7 INTs are more impressive then McCoy's 7, because Harrell puts the ball up more then McCoy.
Old 12-01-2008   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That's fine, if you then factor in that Harrell's 7 INTs are more impressive then McCoy's 7, because Harrell puts the ball up more then McCoy.
I would agree with that.

Harrell has a better TD:INT ratio and a lower INT %.

McCoy has a higher TD %.
Old 12-01-2008   #10
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

I think the O'Brien between Bradford, Harrell and McCoy is a better race then the Maxwell or the Heismen.
Old 12-01-2008   #11
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Can someone please explain to me what is so great about Tim Tebow?

He has a special attitude, but other than that I don't see anything special about him. He has bad mechanics, he has an ultra slow delivery and he makes easy throw after easy throw every game. Don't get me wrong I see him make 1 or 2 difficult throws a game, but the majority of his throws are to wide open receivers due to the awesome scheme of Urban Meyer. I have watched the Gators extensively so I feel I have watched enough to form an opinion.

It's going to be a huge wakeup call for Tebow when he gets to the NFL and has to actually make throws in between defenders. In the game against FSU I saw him make 1 throw that I would say was difficult. It was a 20 yard pass to Murphy on a skinny post.

Normally I wouldn't say anything about a player not being special but the guy won the Heisman last year, and might win it again this year and I am trying to figure out why. My guess is that it's all stats. But how hard is it to rack up stats when you fake to your RB and half the defense moves to that side of the field and then you make an easy 5 yard throw out to your WR on the other side of the field and he takes it for a 60 yard TD due to speed and scheme.

Please someone explain.

Regarding this thread I picked McCoy. He is very impressive and has shown alot of growth at the QB position. I really like McCoy as a college and potential NFL QB. If he was a couple inches taller people would be lining up for this guy. People might already be lining up for him.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 12-01-2008 at 04:39 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think the O'Brien between Bradford, Harrell and McCoy is a better race then the Maxwell or the Heismen.
I think the O'Brien should go to Bradford. He is the best passer in the country IMO.

I think the Heisman should go to McCoy. There is no defined critera for this award so I always think of it as an MVP award. I think McCoy is more valuable to his team than any other player. Shonn Greene of Iowa also come to mind.

I think the Maxwell should go to Crabtree. He is the most outstanding offensive player in the country (though he isn't even a finalist).
Old 12-01-2008   #13
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
I would agree with that.

Harrell has a better TD:INT ratio and a lower INT %.

McCoy has a higher TD %.
Even when you factor in Colt's rushing stats, Harrell still has 7 more total TDs and 700 (roughly) more yards of total offense, and that's including sack yards.
Old 12-01-2008   #14
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There is no defined critera for this award so I always think of it as an MVP award.
It's all stats IMo. I can't find any other way to explain why these players receive the Heisman in the last few years.

Notice it is all QBs now because of the huge injection of the spread offense into college football. The spread makes it easier on the QB and pumps up their stats, therefore the Heisman is now a QB trophy.
Old 12-01-2008   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Even when you factor in Colt's rushing stats, Harrell still has 7 more total TDs and 700 (roughly) more yards of total offense, and that's including sack yards.
That's because Harrell has more opportunites.

McCoy gains 8.0 yards per every play he either runs, passes, or gets sacked.

Harrell gains 7.8

McCoy gets a TD 8.3% of the time he touches the ball.

Harrell gets one 7.8% of the time.

"System QB's" have a hard time winning awards because their numbers are usually thrown out the window because of how many times they touch the ball.

Example: If you throw 50 passes in a game, 300 yards really isn't that impressive.

I put more stock in yards per rush or yards per pass attempt than I do in total yards because of that reason.

McCoy is better in those areas despite having a worse o-line than Tech and definitely not a star player the caliber of Crabtree to throw to.
Old 12-01-2008   #16
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Can someone please explain to me what is so great about Tim Tebow?

He has a special attitude, but other than that I don't see anything special about him. He has bad mechanics, he has an ultra slow delivery and he makes easy throw after easy throw every game. Don't get me wrong I see him make 1 or 2 difficult throws a game, but the majority of his throws are to wide open receivers due to the awesome scheme of Urban Meyer. I have watched the Gators extensively so I feel I have watched enough to form an opinion.

It's going to be a huge wakeup call for Tebow when he gets to the NFL and has to actually make throws in between defenders. In the game against FSU I saw him make 1 throw that I would say was difficult. It was a 20 yard pass to Murphy on a skinny post.

Normally I wouldn't say anything about a player not being special but the guy won the Heisman last year, and might win it again this year and I am trying to figure out why. My guess is that it's all stats. But how hard is it to rack up stats when you fake to your RB and half the defense moves to that side of the field and then you make an easy 5 yard throw out to your WR on the other side of the field and he takes it for a 60 yard TD due to speed and scheme.
Please someone explain.

Regarding this thread I picked McCoy. He is very impressive and has shown alot of growth at the QB position. I really like McCoy as a college and potential NFL QB. If he was a couple inches taller people would be lining up for this guy. People might already be lining up for him.
Damn, that sounds familiar....i forget who had similar success with a spread offensive scheme but was later exposed in the NFL & is now riding the pine... I'll give you all a hint.........
Old 12-01-2008   #17
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That's because Harrell has more opportunites.

McCoy gains 8.0 yards per every play he either runs, passes, or gets sacked.

Harrell gains 7.8

McCoy gets a TD 8.3% of the time he touches the ball.

Harrell gets one 7.8% of the time.

"System QB's" have a hard time winning awards because their numbers are usually thrown out the window because of how many times they touch the ball.

Example: If you throw 50 passes in a game, 300 yards really isn't that impressive.
I put more stock in yards per rush or yards per pass attempt than I do in total yards because of that reason.

McCoy is better in those areas despite having a worse o-line than Tech and definitely not a star player the caliber of Crabtree to throw to.
Yeah it's also known as the volume shooter mentality in basketball..
Old 12-01-2008   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

That TD throw that McCoy made in the Texas vs Texas A&M game that was across his body when he was running to his right was superb. That was probably the most impressive throw I have seen a college QB make all year.

McCoy also looked pretty shook up in that game. He looked like he might have had a minor concussion, yet he still performed great. Anybody else catch that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Damn, that sounds familiar....i forget who had similar success with a spread offensive scheme but was later exposed in the NFL & is now riding the pine... I'll give you all a hint.........
Thing is, Alex Smith was arguably a better passer when he came out than Tebow is right now.
Old 12-01-2008   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That TD throw that McCoy made in the Texas vs Texas A&M game that was across his body when he was running to his right was superb. That was probably the most impressive throw I have seen a college QB make all year.

McCoy also looked pretty shook up in that game. He looked like he might have had a minor concussion, yet he still performed great. Anybody else catch that?

Thing is, Alex Smith was arguably a better passer when he came out than Tebow is right now.
McCoy did take a mean hit when A&M did a CB blitz and nobody picked the guy up.

I believe UT took a timeout after the play so that Colt could get it together.
Old 12-01-2008   #20
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
...Thing is, Alex Smith was arguably a better passer when he came out than Tebow is right now.
Alex Smith was a spread QB under Urban Meyer and fits what he was saying, but I think he means the almighty Vince Young.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read