Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Is Tom Coughlin a HOF Coach?
Yes 9 42.86%
No 7 33.33%
Only if he wins the SB this year. 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2008   #1
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected
Question Is Tom Coughlin a HOF Coach?

This article made me think about this and I wondered what the fine folks at texanstalk thought?

Coughlin is Coach of the Year, and possibly headed for Canton

Quote:
There are many potential candidates for the title. Jeff Fisher, Mike Smith, Tony Sparano, John Fox, Jon Gruden, Mike Tomlin and Bill Belichick all merit consideration.

But Tom Coughlin proved on Sunday that, without question, he's the Coach of the Year.

His team played into February, giving them a shorter offseason than 30 of the other teams in the league. They'd won the Super Bowl, which might have invited some 2006 Steelers-style complacency to creep in.

Defensive end Michael Strahan retired. Tight end Jeremy Shockey was traded for 2009 draft picks. Defensive end Osi Umenyiora suffered a season-ending knee injury in the preseason. Strahan decided to remain retired.

Through it all, Coughlin held it together. Even when the unique challenges presented by receiver Plaxico Burress, who was suspended for going AWOL and who showed little remorse on his return and later was benched for further inability to comply with the rules, the Giants won 10 of 11 games.

But Coughlin earned the Coach of the Year label on Sunday, when he led a team distracted by Plaxico's pistol misadventures and a Saturday night visit from NFL Security into an emotionally-charged FedEx Field and drubbed the Redskins on the same day that they honored the late Sean Taylor by adding his name to the franchise's Ring of Honor.

History will regard the past two seasons from Coughlin as two of the best coaching performances in league history. If the Giants finish the job with a second straight Super Bowl title, Coughlin and his 122 career wins and counting will merit serious consideration for an eventual spot in Canton.

Actually, Coughlin should get more than serious consideration. Win another league title, and Coughlin should get in.

George Allen made it with 118 wins and no NFL titles. Sid Gillman got in with 123 wins and one AFL title. John Madden earned a spot with 112 wins and one Super Bowl. Hank Stram won 136 games and only one Super Bowl.

Making Coughlin's accomplishments even more remarkable is the fact he recognized a need to change his style late in his career, and he embraced it. It's a great lesson for anyone, at any age and in any profession.
Link

I think he is a HOfer. He also did a good coaching job in Jacksonville taking them to the AFC Championship in only the 2nd year of the franchise's existence. I think he should get in regardless if the Giants don't win the SB.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is Tom Coughlin a HOF Coach?

I say yes, based on this alone: Coughlin = 122 career wins and a Super Bowl championship.

"George Allen made it with 118 wins and no NFL titles. Sid Gillman got in with 123 wins and one AFL title. John Madden earned a spot with 112 wins and one Super Bowl. Hank Stram won 136 games and only one Super Bowl."
Old 12-01-2008   #3
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, He is a HOF coach. Especially, if the Giants win another SB?
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #4
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80847 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

He is in the mold of Parcells and has been even more effective since he mellowed out some.

As a Giants fan I am happy with the guy however I also give a lot of credit to his staff, especially Spagnuolo.

Eli is also a huge factor in their success. He just does what he needs to do to win. Hate on him all you want but the guy has zero ego and never complains.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

He had a significant portion of the team in revolt against him toward the end of '05 and throughout '06. Tiki Barber has all but outright admitted that he retired because of Coughlin. Yet management stuck with Coughlin and he built the team to where he wanted it, and now they are on the road to back-to-back titles. I say he is a HoF coach, and I'd love to have him here in Houston.
Old 12-01-2008   #6
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72216 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

I used to think he was terrible coach. Those Jags teams underachieved, and Fisher outcoached him consistently, including the '99 AFC Championship.

When he was nearly on the outs in New York, I thought he was cooked and he could take his misery elsewhere. (seriously, the guy always looks beyond agitated, even when things are going well in a game)

The last 11 months have been flat out stunning. The guy basically reinvented himself, learned to delegate more authority to his players, let his co-ordinators do their job, and most importantly, put his players in a position to succeed, not fail.

His mission has succeeded. When I watch a Giants game this year, and I've watched several, I watch a team that truly believes in itself and the coaches. They go on the field and out-execute, outplay and outphysical teams, under any circumstance. They play smart. Their football 'IQ' is off the charts. They manage the clock to perfection. All of these things are instilled by good coaches.

The coach is blamed when they don't do these things, so he deserves a ton of praise when it does get done right.

The Giants are a true model on how to build a team, and I can't believe I am saying this, but it starts with Coach Coughlin. I think one more championship and he's a HOFer.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
He is in the mold of Parcells and has been even more effective since he mellowed out some.

As a Giants fan I am happy with the guy however I also give a lot of credit to his staff, especially Spagnuolo.

Eli is also a huge factor in their success. He just does what he needs to do to win. Hate on him all you want but the guy has zero ego and never complains.

Unless you plan on drafting him when he doesn't want you to. Then he's been known to complain a little bit.
Old 12-01-2008   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Unless you plan on drafting him when he doesn't want you to. Then he's been known to complain a little bit.
Agreed.

Though I think his father needs to share some of the blame in that one too.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #9
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard a sports caster mention Kurt Warner and the Hall of Fame in the same breath. I hope he was saying that he planned to buy the guy tickets or get him a job parkin' cars because other than that...I don't see the two in the same sentence.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #10
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he is but I sure wouldn't want to sit thru his acceptance speech. Snooze.....
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
I heard a sports caster mention Kurt Warner and the Hall of Fame in the same breath. I hope he was saying that he planned to buy the guy tickets or get him a job parkin' cars because other than that...I don't see the two in the same sentence.
While I generally agree with you about Warner, there are guys in the HoF who have less impressive credentials than Warner.
Old 12-01-2008   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe Warner has the record for most 300 yards passing games and it's not even close.

Not to say that is nearly enough to be admitted into the HoF, but it's still impressive.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #13
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Warner is Dan Fouts with a ring and a few MVPs. seems he should go in. but he never had long stretches of consistency over more than 3 years. if he can get the Cardinals to the Super Bowl before he's done, i think that would pretty much seal the deal
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read