Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-28-2008   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Colt to the draft?

Here in Austin they were saying that Colt met with an NFL agent and his lawyer to see what round he would go in if he were to enter the NFL draft.

I have to say that I wouldn't mind drafting him and letting him sit for a year maybe even two.

I think if Colt wins the heisman and National Championship you gotta draft him if you're Mcnair. This would make the 2nd opportunity you had to draft the local hero and if you pass that up you may not have anymore fans or the entire state of Texas will just hate you. Plus with us not having a winning season you do need to make the choice that sales tickets this time.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008   #2
Sal Rosenberg
All Pro

Rep Power: 111 Sal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Colt to the draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Here in Austin they were saying that Colt met with an NFL agent and his lawyer to see what round he would go in if he were to enter the NFL draft.

I have to say that I wouldn't mind drafting him and letting him sit for a year maybe even two.

I think if Colt wins the heisman and National Championship you gotta draft him if you're Mcnair. This would make the 2nd opportunity you had to draft the local hero and if you pass that up you may not have anymore fans or the entire state of Texas will just hate you. Plus with us not having a winning season you do need to make the choice that sales tickets this time.
I like Colt a lot but I think he should finish his senior season regardless.I think Sam Bradford is NFL ready
Sal Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

No, no, no, no, dear God, no. He's a college QB, not an NFL QB.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008   #4
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Rosenberg View Post
I like Colt a lot but I think he should finish his senior season regardless.I think Sam Bradford is NFL ready
I agree with you on that one. Fortunately for Bradford, he can work on becoming a better player for at least another season.
Old 11-28-2008   #5
headsplint
All Pro

Rep Power: 1332 headsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think if Colt wins the heisman and National Championship you gotta draft him if you're Mcnair. This would make the 2nd opportunity you had to draft the local hero and if you pass that up you may not have anymore fans or the entire state of Texas will just hate you.
First I love The Horns and Colt.

But I don't think he HAS to draft him. Besides look how well that 1st hometown hero guy is working out.

I think Colt could make a great NFL QB, but I don't see us going that route in the first round anyway.
Old 11-28-2008   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 190768 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Colt would probably be a good QB for the WCO .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008   #7
Sal Rosenberg
All Pro

Rep Power: 111 Sal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Colt would probably be a good QB for the WCO .
Very True!
Sal Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2008   #8
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Jeff Garcia comparisons are apt, he's a guy I'd love to have. Of course, him being a "local guy" has nothing to do with that and is a silly and irrelevant argument that I wish people would stop using.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, this would be the draft to do it though. There really isn't this stand out guy at any position. The talent level is nowhere it has been over the last 3 years. That's just my opinion.

Also, noone is saying Colt has to come in and start right now. However let's face it. Schaub hasn't proven himself durable enough, and has turned the ball over several times along with Rosenfels (sp). The message gets sent loud and clear with a draft pick like Colt McCoy.

I'm not saying Mcnair really has to make this choice and would get the same flack as he did with Vince but I am saying that he is losing fan interest with each non winning season and he needs to do something that will put people in the seats. A pick like this makes that happen. That being said, I believe Orakpo could make the same kind of impact, although some may be sad to see yet another DL being picked.
Old 11-28-2008   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Old 11-28-2008   #11
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Of course, him being a "local guy" has nothing to do with that and is a silly and irrelevant argument that I wish people would stop using.
I agree. What the hell difference does it make where he comes from?

This notion that mcnair will lose fans in the state for not taking him is laughable.

The only thing fans or potential fans care about is wins. That's how it will always be.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008   #12
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Colt but I think he'd be better served staying another year and continue to work with Major Applewhite. He's a good prospect and I'd like to see him continue to add weight to his frame.

Regardless I think we need to look at a serious QB prospect this coming draft. If nothing else we're going to need a replacement for Sage and it'd be nice if he could develop into something more.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008   #13
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
I agree with you on that one. Fortunately for Bradford, he can work on becoming a better player for at least another season.
Bradford is eligible for the draft and if he entered he would probably be a top 15 pick.

I like Colt. I think he will be a decent NFL QB.

But you don't draft a guy just because he went to a certain college. That's ridiculous.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008   #14
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Why would he go back for another year when he is going to be the #1 rated QB in this draft not to mention the potential loss of millions of dollars when
the NFL bargaining agreement bieng redone?

Colt would be a nice pick up by us in the third round or later. This team has to many holes to fill to use a high draft pick on a backup QB right now.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008   #15
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I agree. What the hell difference does it make where he comes from?

This notion that mcnair will lose fans in the state for not taking him is laughable.

The only thing fans or potential fans care about is wins. That's how it will always be.
It's code for, "draft this guy because he went to my school."

Regardless, I'll take a greater talent from Idaho over a local kid ten times out of ten.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Colt to the draft?
Old 11-29-2008   #17
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36873 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

What about Nate Davis from Ball St?
Old 11-29-2008   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

My wanting to get Colt only has everything to do with the fact that he has put a Texas Longhorn team whom noone even thought would be in the same sentence as National Championship, and put them at the top.

The whole thing about Mcnair drafting him is because should Colt win the heisman and the National Championship it puts Mcnair back in the same situation he was in just two years ago. From an owner's perspective, you gotta do something to give fans something to get excited about. Matt Schaub or Rosenfels hasn't done anything to give you that excitement. Colt is prospect enough to make you at least entertain the thought. You can't even compare him to Vince Young because he's smashed Vince Young's record (if Colt were to win a National Championship) and yes they are all passing records.

Look, I'm not saying that it would be the wisest pick. I'm just saying it makes sense and I don't think it's the unwisest pick either (unwisest is simply a word I don't have time to justify). When you think of grooming a QB, this would be a good one to do that with.

Like I said before I'd like to draft Orakpo, Moreno or some good DB, but to me this draft kind of gives you an opportunity to groom a stud and so long as Schaub and Sage keep throwing to the other team, I'm going to keep looking for that stud QB that is going to lead us to the promised land. Heck, if Bradford is there take him.
Old 11-29-2008   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we want a QB in this draft it should be Nate Davis.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008   #20
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
My wanting to get Colt only has everything to do with the fact that he has put a Texas Longhorn team whom noone even thought would be in the same sentence as National Championship, and put them at the top.

The whole thing about Mcnair drafting him is because should Colt win the heisman and the National Championship it puts Mcnair back in the same situation he was in just two years ago. From an owner's perspective, you gotta do something to give fans something to get excited about. Matt Schaub or Rosenfels hasn't done anything to give you that excitement. Colt is prospect enough to make you at least entertain the thought. You can't even compare him to Vince Young because he's smashed Vince Young's record (if Colt were to win a National Championship) and yes they are all passing records.

Look, I'm not saying that it would be the wisest pick. I'm just saying it makes sense and I don't think it's the unwisest pick either (unwisest is simply a word I don't have time to justify). When you think of grooming a QB, this would be a good one to do that with.

Like I said before I'd like to draft Orakpo, Moreno or some good DB, but to me this draft kind of gives you an opportunity to groom a stud and so long as Schaub and Sage keep throwing to the other team, I'm going to keep looking for that stud QB that is going to lead us to the promised land. Heck, if Bradford is there take him.
The franchise saved itself from making a huge mistake by not drafting VY. Why would they go back and do that mistake by drafting McCoy? The city knows nothing about football that our FO doesn't know.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read