Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-28-2008   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 242285 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What does this tell you????????..................

The Houston Texans, despite consistently lurking at the bottom of the barrel in so many aspects of the NFL, are one of the top valuated teams in the NFL.

What does this tell you about..........

...............Our fans?

...............Our investment vs. returns versus our owner's

...............Our owner's business sense vs calculated intents?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139057 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What does this tell you????????..................

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The Houston Texans, despite consistently lurking at the bottom of the barrel in so many aspects of the NFL, are one of the top valuated teams in the NFL.

...............Our fans?

The Texans did slip this year from 4th in previous years to 5th this year. I beleive it's printed in Forbes.
Old 11-28-2008   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

...............Our fans?

A stable team with a stable organization in a major market. Houston also happens to be like the 4th or 5th biggest cities in the US.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008   #4
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

i think a lot of it has to do with a new fairly new stadium.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139057 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
i think a lot of it has to do with a new fairly new stadium.
yep.....
Old 11-28-2008   #6
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
A stable team with a stable organization in a major market. Houston also happens to be like the 4th or 5th biggest cities in the US.
Houston is the 4th largest city in the US and closing in on Chicago (#3). Maybe we catch them by the next census in 2010!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

It tells me

1. We are great, loyal, fans. We put our money where our mouths are.
2. The owner needs to spend the money now that we have the cap room. Our loyalty only goes so far.

Fire Bobby Greir & hire someone who can identify & sign 2 or 3 impact FA's
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2008   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What does this tell you????????..................
Houston Texans fans are suckers, and Bob McNair is a very rich man.

I say this with no malice in my heart as I continue to look for ways to keep paying for my own season ticket in the face of an ever-shrinking personal budget.
Old 11-28-2008   #9
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114971 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

I say this with no malice in my heart as I continue to look for ways to keep paying for my own season ticket in the face of an ever-shrinking personal budget.
Honestly, if you wanted to get rid of them, they probably wouldn't be worth much.

The sellouts have been basically thanks to ticket brokers for years now, so that always bumps up the income. Same with being a major market team and a new stadium.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008   #10
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

HDTV's are pretty nice and cheaper too. I just got one for $125.
Old 11-28-2008   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Houston is the 4th largest city in the US and closing in on Chicago (#3). Maybe we catch them by the next census in 2010!
In all honesty, we're probably closer to 2 or 3. The census doesn't count everyone
Old 11-28-2008   #12
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 160519 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
HDTV's are pretty nice and cheaper too. I just got one for $125.
Where? I don't have HD and would love to join the 21st century.
Old 11-28-2008   #13
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10971156 - Mostly teams with either long history in the NFL or teams with new stadiums.

Yeah Texans fans are suckers, or is it just those that go to games? Seems like malice to me that you call everyone who buys anything Texans related a sucker for supporting the team. By the way you have to be a very rich person to own any sports related franchise. Be it football, baseball, or basketball. He did chunk down $800 mil or so to get the NFL back in Houston. He has hired guys like Casserly wo at the time, right or wrong, were respected in their profession to help build the team. He knows business not scouting players. He cares about Houston and having a team in there, not about having a 3-4 defense or a 4-3. So why the shot at him for being rich? If he was middle class we would not have the Houston Texans, it would be the LA whatchamacallits.

I mean not supporting them does wonders for putting a winning team on the field like Jacksonville and Detroit has shown. At least our owner is not Al Davis or Dan Snyder.

I am as disappointed in the team as anyone, mostly the defense this year but showing such disdain for the owner I do not. Rick Smith is the GM, it is time he put his stamp on the team and show that he is in-charge and do what is right. Why not show anger towards him not getting rid of Bobby Grier and Dale Strahm.

Sorry DB but I take your post differently.
Old 11-28-2008   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Spec

Because Mr. McNair may not know football but a blind man can see that D. Smith, Greir, Riley & Hoke need to be fired & They have been hear since 2002. Exclude D. Smith.

He understands money & the only way to get through to him is the bottom line.

I think that if he wasn't scared of a season ticket holder revolt Casserly & Capers would still have a job.
Old 11-28-2008   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

...............Our fans?

Newish stadium
Fans have PSLs which keep them vested
Only thing the owner can definitely control is promoting fan friendly things like tailgating. No owner can make a team for sure win, but they can do stuff like this.
Big city and good marketing staff that takes advantage of the big city.

I can tell you most assuredly that the owner wants to win more than any of us want the team to win. The trouble is that there is no one *right* way to win.
Old 11-28-2008   #16
Tscout20
Memphis Texan!

Cool Re: What does this tell you????????..................

Does any of this help our record this season?? I love the stadium. I enjoy rooting for the team, most of the time. Tailgating is memorable. However, I am ready to win, not just in December.
Tscout20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 242285 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

After 7 years of a relatively questionable product, for whatever reason, ownership has continued to make money........and fans have continued to maintain loyalty (as exemplified by previous posts). The PSLs have essentially kept many fans (including corporate PSLs) "hostage" or still always hoping that they will yet see a "whole" team "next" year. Food, team merchandise and parking prices go up while the coffers continue to fill and the fan's pockets continue to shrink. I don't really see where the fans are getting any significant benefits in return. And I believe the owner can do more than furnish a good environment for tailgating. The way things have gone over the past 7 years, as only one example, I see ownership making a nice continuous return on player jerseys. Yet, with the continuous high annual player turnover, a good deal of those expensive jerseys are now worthlessly hanging in fans' closets. Try selling any of them, even on Ebay as collector's items..........for that matter see if you can even give them away.

BTW, before pointing to the 300 million dollar value input into Reliant, has everyone forgotten the tax "deal" the city of Houston made with McNair (which can be added as another hidden cost to fans)........this is besides other typical expected operating tax breaks.:

Quote:
The Houston City Council has voted to give up $632,000 a year in taxes on the Texans' new Reliant Stadium that opens in 2002. Team owner Bob McNair and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo asked for the tax break to help finance the venue. City officials said a 2004 Super Bowl game planned for the venue would offset most of the tax loss.

...........and let's not forget the 300 million dollar naming rights to be paid over 32 years, if not by Reliant Energy, certainly by someone else............
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Newish stadium
No owner can make a team for sure win,
I beg to differ but I will keep that between me and the NFL.

Signed,

Jerry Jones
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

TC

I dont know if an owner can make a team win but I know how how an owner can make a team lose.

He can keep around people that helped cuse the salary cap mess (Greir)
The most inuries in the league. (Riley) for several years
The worst secondary (Hoke). for several years
Giving contract extensions to HWNSNBM (favorite son) DDW (Fan Favorite) because they made him money.

If the blame goes to Smithiak for most of these bad decisions then sign me up for the fire them all & start over crowd.
Old 11-29-2008   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10971156 - Mostly teams with either long history in the NFL or teams with new stadiums.

Yeah Texans fans are suckers, or is it just those that go to games? Seems like malice to me that you call everyone who buys anything Texans related a sucker for supporting the team. By the way you have to be a very rich person to own any sports related franchise. Be it football, baseball, or basketball. He did chunk down $800 mil or so to get the NFL back in Houston. He has hired guys like Casserly wo at the time, right or wrong, were respected in their profession to help build the team. He knows business not scouting players. He cares about Houston and having a team in there, not about having a 3-4 defense or a 4-3. So why the shot at him for being rich? If he was middle class we would not have the Houston Texans, it would be the LA whatchamacallits.

I mean not supporting them does wonders for putting a winning team on the field like Jacksonville and Detroit has shown. At least our owner is not Al Davis or Dan Snyder.

I am as disappointed in the team as anyone, mostly the defense this year but showing such disdain for the owner I do not. Rick Smith is the GM, it is time he put his stamp on the team and show that he is in-charge and do what is right. Why not show anger towards him not getting rid of Bobby Grier and Dale Strahm.

Sorry DB but I take your post differently.
Hint: = humorous intent (see my post you quoted)

I don't call anyone out for buying Texans gear. I buy it all the time. Matter-of-fact, I bought a $25 camo hat at the stadium last game. You betcha' that I'm a sucker, especially for Texans gear I like.

As far as Mr. McNair is concerned, I stated fact. The cat is a very rich man. And I've always appreciated him for bringing us the Texans and defended him accordingly. You can check my history. I've always thought he was an owner with class.

So you can take your assumptions and give them to yourself for Christmas. You certainly have a right to your perceptions.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read