Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-25-2008   #1
Ali4Real

Talking College DCs For Richard Smith's Replacement?

Any chance we can bring in Dick Bumpas from TCU or Will Muschamp from Texas to be our DC?

Old 11-25-2008   #2
MeLoveTexans
All Pro

Rep Power: 1781 MeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: College DCs For Richard Smith's Replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali4Real View Post
Any chance we can bring in Dick Bumpas from TCU or Will Muschamp from Texas to be our DC?

Muschamp has already been named the next UT head coach when Mack steps down.
MeLoveTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #3
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

I think I saw an article the other day that Muschamp is the HC in waiting at UT.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #4
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLoveTexans View Post
Muschamp has already been named the next UT head coach when Mack steps down.
Great minds think alike.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Muschamp is off the market.

I vote Tom Bradley, Penn St.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a diehard OU fan, but I did like the late blitz scheme they ran against Tech.
Old 11-25-2008   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I'm not a diehard OU fan, but I did like the late blitz scheme they ran against Tech.
I think Venables will wind up as Clemson head coach...
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2008   #8
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please get SOMEONE with NFL experience!!!!

I don't usually yell, BUT, I think I might have to myself if we have to train someone else!!! Hell, I would rather them bring back Capers than hire a college coach!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #9
BuffaloglennTX
Rookie

Rep Power: 24 BuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post

I don't usually yell, BUT, I think I might have to myself if we have to train someone else!!! Hell, I would rather them bring back Capers than hire a college coach!!
X2 - NFL experience is a must. Although we hear coach Kubes use the word "kids" a lot when describing his players, they are not kids. We need a man, someone who's fourty.
BuffaloglennTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Most guys with NFL experience probably aren't very good or they would have a job.
Old 11-25-2008   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Most guys with NFL experience probably aren't very good or they would have a job.
There will be some good DC's available after this season is over .... Several orginizations will clean house leaving many out of work .... there is bound to be someone who could fix this mess.

On a side note , I (just a thought after watching the game Sunday) dont think Dick was calling the plays this week .... They were far too aggressive to have been called by Smith. I wonder ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 112599 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloglennTX View Post
X2 - NFL experience is a must. Although we hear coach Kubes use the word "kids" a lot when describing his players, they are not kids. We need a man, someone who's fourty.
On the one hand you disqualify, this guy and on the other hand you qualify him:

OSU Coach Mike Gundy: "I'M A MAN!! I'M FORTY!!"

Old 11-25-2008   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197411 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
There will be some good DC's available after this season is over .... Several orginizations will clean house leaving many out of work .... there is bound to be someone who could fix this mess.

On a side note , I (just a thought after watching the game Sunday) dont think Dick was calling the plays this week .... They were far too aggressive to have been called by Smith. I wonder ....
I can't say for sure who was calling the defense, but the only really aggressive person on the D line was none other than Mario. He's the only one that I saw get close to the QB. The rest of the line was usually waltzing near the LOS with the partner of choice. And we were so much more aggressive that we saw 0 sacks. Our secondary seemed to play somewhat more aggressive, but that was due in large part to an illusion created by poor misdirected Browns passing and an unbelievable number of gimme dropped passes. If the Browns weren't trying to give the game away, it could have gotten very ugly very quickly.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #14
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

I vote for Sean McDermott, the Philadelphia Eagles secondary Coach. He has been under Jim Johnson's tutelage for 10 years. Jim Johnson is known for strong defenses with creative blitzing. I think this is guy we should get.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #15
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I vote for Sean McDermott, the Philadelphia Eagles secondary Coach. He has been under Jim Johnson's tutelage for 10 years. Jim Johnson is known for strong defenses with creative blitzing. I think this is guy we should get.
I like him as well, mostly based on the PFW article someone posted earlier and my gut. Spagnuolo came from there and that defense seems like the hot ticket item in the NFL right now.
Old 11-25-2008   #16
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
This is the best idea I've heard yet regarding a new DC.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #17
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I can't say for sure who was calling the defense, but the only really aggressive person on the D line was none other than Mario. He's the only one that I saw get close to the QB. The rest of the line was usually waltzing near the LOS with the partner of choice. And we were so much more aggressive that we saw 0 sacks. Our secondary seemed to play somewhat more aggressive, but that was due in large part to an illusion created by poor misdirected Browns passing and an unbelievable number of gimme dropped passes. If the Browns weren't trying to give the game away, it could have gotten very ugly very quickly.
I saw Demeco blitz a handfull of times , as well as the safety blitz on the play that Weaver got his INT .... That was a pretty nice package although I know a lot here dont like to see DE's in coverage .... they brought the same amount of players but disguised where they were coming from and it threw a monkey wrench in the QB's read.
I'd like to see more creative packages like that one rather than the same old stale defense we have seen the past two seasons. You dont always have to bring more attackers than they supply blockers .... You can also disguise where the heat is coming from and confuse not only the QB in his reads but the OL in their blocking assignments.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #18
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Is anybody else scared the the College guy they might consider as a new DC would be Greg Robinson late of Syracuse? He was the DC at Denver for both Super Bowl wins. He started as DC the same year Kubes started as OC, and with the exception of his final year, he had some pretty good defenses. And he's obviously got a tie to Texas that was established prior to going to Syracuse.

Not saying I want it to happen (in fact, I'm saying I don't want it to happen), but for some reason, it wouldn't shock me if it did.
Old 11-25-2008   #19
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post

Couldn't agree more. I never had a problem with Capers other than him never calling Carr out and demanding more dedication and professionalism as our QB. Even Kubiak did that and did it his first year here. DC just didn't respond to it and was subsequently shown the door.
Old 11-25-2008   #20
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Is anybody else scared the the College guy they might consider as a new DC would be Greg Robinson late of Syracuse? He was the DC at Denver for both Super Bowl wins. He started as DC the same year Kubes started as OC, and with the exception of his final year, he had some pretty good defenses. And he's obviously got a tie to Texas that was established prior to going to Syracuse.

Not saying I want it to happen (in fact, I'm saying I don't want it to happen), but for some reason, it wouldn't shock me if it did.
It's probably the most likely guy that Kubiak would hire. I believe he was on the short list during Kubiak's initial changes but the Broncos season lasted too long that year and Kubiak couldn't make any moves or phone calls until the Broncos had been eliminated. By then everyone was taken on the short list...then they had to go to the 'sh*t list' which rewarded us with 3 years of Richard Smith's emasculated defense.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read