Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-22-2008   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Solomon: Texans give Robinson a way out

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6126229.html

Quote:
With three up, seven down and a miracle run away from anything meaningful this season, we’re allowed to spend some time talking about the Texans’ tomorrow.

Not just Sunday when they travel to Cleveland hoping to prove they still have a pulse (clear!), but the future, when they hope to be among the league’s best.

The Texans’ road to respectability is about to become more difficult.

A love affair cut short?

As unsure as we are of whether their current road map soon will get them out of mediocrity (if they are even there yet), we are just as sure that reaching said destination will be more difficult without Dunta Robinson on the roster.

Robinson is returning to the starting lineup for the first time since suffering a nasty injury in Oakland more than a year ago, but logic says he’ll be leaving the Texans after the season.

Texans fans have about six weeks to enjoy watching the toughest player to ever don the Deep Steel Blue and Battle Red.

His teammates love him.

The fans love him.

The Texans love him, and need him.
Importance undeniable
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Solomon: Texans give Robinson a way out

Another reason(besides the fact that he isn't very good as a DC) I hope the Texans bring in a new Defensive coordinator to give the defense a boost and the players (hopefully) some confidence in where this team is going in the future.

I feel the Texans cannot afford to lose D-Rob. I think I will be sick if he is gone and we are stuck with Reeves on one side of the field
Old 11-22-2008   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Ugh , I'd hate to think of having to fill the void left behind if he were to bolt .... this team has so many other needs in the draft it would likely set them back at least one and probably two more years.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Ugh , I'd hate to think of having to fill the void left behind if he were to bolt .... this team has so many other needs in the draft it would likely set them back at least one and probably two more years.
exactly, this is one loss I would really hate to see and I would get over it but I would be very disappointed that the Texans couldn't have locked him up
Old 11-22-2008   #5
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

This is only the beginning, if we don't start winning we're going to be losing alot more young talented players than just Dunta Robinson (frankly I was surprised AJ signed that long term contract with us)........just wait until it's time to sign the players of the 2006 draft class.

This is how franchises get into a decade long rut........teams develop a culture of losing in the lockerroom and the players that do actually give a crap about winning who where their emotions on their sleeve (like Dunta) bolt for greener pastures. Also after all this happens the only FAs you can bring to your team over overpriced nobodies or players that are clearly over the hill, but hey we're are already used to that.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 11-22-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
This is only the beginning, if we don't start winning we're going to be losing alot more young talented players than just Dunta Robinson (frankly I was surprised AJ signed that long term contract with us)........just wait until it's time to sign the players of the 2006 draft class.

This is how franchises get into a decade long rut........teams develop a culture of losing in the lockerroom and the players that do actually give a crap about winning who where their emotions on their sleeve (like Dunta) bolt for greener pastures. Also after all this happens the only FAs you can bring to your team over overpriced nobodies or players that are clearly over the hill, but hey we're already used to that.
isn't that the truth, article like this makes me want to go to the Texans front office and say "hey, we need the turk and we need it now for a RS" ...

I want the Texans to win this sunday but if the Texans happen to lose, I almost hope that Cleveland would drop 40 on us

I have some faith that Kubiak would rethink things and find a Defensive coordinator quickly.. Longer they drag their feet, the faster D-rob is out the door and others (like CB mentioned)
Old 11-22-2008   #7
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe he wil be back, I have faith in him.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-22-2008   #8
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Franchise him......can we do it and is it worth it?
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX View Post
Franchise him
I hope that the Texans can get Dunta signed long term before going the franchise tag route. Last year's franchise tender for CBs was $9.5 million. That would also be the cap hit the Texans would have to take on the contract.

The Texans project to be $29 million under the cap, according to Keith Weiland's cap page at inthebullseye.com. So yeah, the Texans could afford to tag Dunta. But, you would hope the Texans could use some of that room to sign an impact defender, or two.

Last edited by Lucky; 11-22-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008   #10
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. As long as Dunta gets out there & plays close to the Dunta of old (so far, he has), & doesn't re-injure himself, the Texans will pony up the cash & not let him get away.

Besides, wouldn't he be a restricted FA?

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008   #11
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Nothing to get worried about yet. I hope you guys had a chance to look at the comments here. Our old pal aj weighs in the folowing.....

Quote:
aj_texans wrote:

A few key details:
- Dunta has 6 games remaining. He has a lot to prove over those 6 games. If he comes out of it healthy (his knee still doesn't "feel right" if you read his quotes on ht.com) then the Texans can still franchise tag him if they want to keep him around.
- And no, teams don't usually extend players two years before their contracts expire so it was really bad luck for Dunta in terms of the timing of his injury
- The Texans have nothing tied up at corner - where are you getting this fugh? Please don't say Petey Reeves because his guaranteed money remaining is nothing by NFL CB standards. The Texans have nothing at CB - besides Dunta - and they better bring him back if his knee holds up over the next 6.
- Andre Johnson is wrapped up through 2014 so he's not going anywhere.
- As long as Solomon is talking hindsight, so can I. I'm pretty confident the Texans would have extended Dunta last off-season if he hadn't gotten hurt and made the Pro Bowl where he was headed. Solomon's attempt to further discredit the Texans front office isn't working in this case because they didn't screw up again. They aren't 'bad guys' for not extending Dunta two years ago. They have the power to retain him - it's called a franchise tag which brings with it the ability to negotiate a long term deal . And in this case it's also called a good business decision if he makes it through the next 6,

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner
His column/blog with the Examiner is some pretty solid stuff.

Seems to me like Solomon might be carrying Dunta's water in a salary negotiation.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Nothing to get worried about yet. I hope you guys had a chance to look at the comments here. Our old pal aj weighs in the folowing.....

His column/blog with the Examiner is some pretty solid stuff.

Seems to me like Solomon might be carrying Dunta's water in a salary negotiation.
Speaking of AJ , I havent seen him post here in quite a while , anyone keep in contact with him ? The guy always had good takes .... He's dead on with this one ....

Old 11-22-2008   #13
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Speaking of AJ , I havent seen him post here in quite a while , anyone keep in contact with him ? The guy always had good takes .... He's dead on with this one ....
He posts regularly on the official board.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
He posts regularly on the official board.
I havent been to the "official board" in forever ..... just not the same quality .

Old 11-22-2008   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

this isn't the official board?
J/k I haven't been over there in a while

I haven't even lurked over there
Old 11-22-2008   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes, and there's not a doubt in my mind that the current coaching staff would throw it out there like it was the reason why Richard Smith was still behind the curve. The past two years they've given him a pass because of "the injuries" and because he had rookies in key roles. If Dunta leaves it will give that clown another season with a crutch when in fact he should have been gone a year ago at the latest.
Old 11-22-2008   #17
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69312 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, wanna talk about suck. That would be sh!tty if Dunta were to leave. To me, when I think about the Texans, Dunta is the first player that comes to mind. If he did leave I wouldn't hate him, I would like to see the guy at least get a whiff of what the playoffs are like. The thing that would really be crappy would be to see him wearing a Titans, Jags, or Colts jersey. Even then, I would still like him, but just not as much.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008   #18
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Yes, and there's not a doubt in my mind that the current coaching staff would throw it out there like it was the reason why Richard Smith was still behind the curve. The past two years they've given him a pass because of "the injuries" and because he had rookies in key roles. If Dunta leaves it will give that clown another season with a crutch when in fact he should have been gone a year ago at the latest.
Yeah , thats possibly the worst possibility in this whole deal , not only could we lose DR but be stuck with Dick ....

Old 11-22-2008   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see DR play the next 6 weeks.

I would let him walk if he doesn't play well. Save the money & sign Gamble & McAlister.

They were both better cover CB's than DR even when he was healthy. IMO

Another plus is that McAlister has played in pro-bowls & has a super bowl ring.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Solomon carrying Duntas water sickens me.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read