Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-20-2008   #41
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: We need a new QB in 09!

I think as most will tell the qb is the most important spot yet its effected the mostt by what around him. If the texans have a chance to get mcnabb, they should do it. Schaub had 18m guaranteed through the 1st 3yrs. They get #5, schaub rides the pine for a yr aand then you get him to restructure or he gets cut. If mcnabb can put up those numbers without a #1 or 2 wr and having daniels and slaton, the offense would be top 5. Not only that, mvnabb hhas a 2:11 td-int ratio and of the 66 fumbles,he's only lost 9
Old 11-20-2008   #42
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

A DE would do a lot more for the pass rush and pass defense than drafting a qb. That being said, I think the Texans need to look to the future. Take a qb that can be groomed over the next year or two without the pressure of having to perform on day 1.

Except for his last play, Sage looked pretty good out there last game. I'm not as doom-and-gloom as some. I think there is promise and some coaching up, mostly because we have two quarterbacks who aren't seeing enough field time to really improve. I don't think we need to worry about finding a vet to pull a Kurt Warner/Jeff Garcia - at least, I'm not ready to say that yet.
Old 11-21-2008   #43
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected

I mean when you look at McNabb's number as far as int/td ratio and consider who he has as wr's, its really impressive.

PHI

When you look at probably his worse game this past weekend when he threw 3 ints, his ratio is over 2:1. How many of those games would the texans have won if not for the to's? I mean they were there in tennessee,minny,baltimore and mcnabb isn't throwing all those picks and turning over the ball week 1 against pittsburgh or think about jacksonville. McNabb gives you a chance every week because he's a low to guy. I mean he's 2nd place all time for int per pass att. He just passed Odonnell. Consider he's had 2- 1000 yd receiver in 10 yrs. TO 1 yr and Curtis last yr. As poor as the defense is, better more consistent qb play gives them 6 wins vs 3.
Old 11-21-2008   #44
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I want Graham Harrell. Even if it means reaching a bit for him in the 3rd. I'm all for Schaub right now, but I want someone young that can take over this franchise in a couple of years without missing a beat. And Kubiak's the right guy to groom a young QB. Let's get one in here before Kubes gets fired.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #45
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104197 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
I want Graham Harrell. Even if it means reaching a bit for him in the 3rd. I'm all for Schaub right now, but I want someone young that can take over this franchise in a couple of years without missing a beat. And Kubiak's the right guy to groom a young QB. Let's get one in here before Kubes gets fired.
I would imagine that the Pats snag him first. With Cassel being a FA and the fact that they run a version of the spread means Harrell would be a perfect fit
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #46
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

And I predicted this thread way back in the summer.

I said that fans on this board would be clamoring for a QB because we'd back into the routine of Schaub being hurt and Sage leading the way. Again.

Still, I got ragged on hard for saying this. How dare I?

So, I'll pat myself on the back and remind those of you who love to flame me and say I don't know crap about football. Anybody who thought Schaub would be playing the whole season are the ones who don't know crap, IMO.

I can't wait to see how in the hell this organization will find a way to fool itself into even remotely thinking about starting Matt Schaub next year after the shoulder injury and now a serious knee injury? Going to be fun to see Matt Schaub zipping all those training camp passes.

I know a bad QB when I see one--I supported Carr way too long. After he was gone, I decided that it shouldn't take too long to know if you got something good or not. It should be pretty resognizable right off the bat. And Schaub was reeking about the 4th game of last season, with each week getting a little worse than the previous one.

QBs love to come to Houston: You get several seasons of suckiness and STILL get to be the starter. What a gig.
Old 11-21-2008   #47
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
I would imagine that the Pats snag him first. With Cassel being a FA and the fact that they run a version of the spread means Harrell would be a perfect fit
Not so sure. They signed Kliff Kingsbury out of TTU back when the spread offense was first started at TTU, and he lasted on the PS and was later dropped.

Granted, Graham Harrell might be better than Kingsbury. But...I wouldn't want Graham to come here unless COACH MIKE LEACH came here and installed the Run-N-Shoot again. Now that would be freaking awesome.
Old 11-21-2008   #48
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

I'm not playing Monday Morning qb, but I didn't think they should have drafted Carr in the 1st place because the team wasn't ready to support the qb.. My 1st draft wouldve netted the Texans peppers, portis, bryant and Garrad. I thought they shouldve signed a vet and let him get beat up until you build the line on both sides. In 3 yrs, The line would be ready to support the qb. That's dead and gone now.

I thought at the time schaub might be Rob Johnson. A guy with some attributes, but to handle a team every down is different than subbing out. I'm glad they got rid of Carr, but they now have 2 qbs who are turnover prone. I know McNabb will be on the block this year. He's out of bonus money, so a trade is really easy now. Get Mcnabb, restructur Schaub's salary since they already is pying his bonus and put a young guy as the 3rd. Get what you can for sage. The worse thing a avg talent team can have is a double agent at qb. Right now, the texans have double agents at qb. Like I've said earlier, even with the defense, this team is solid qb play from 5-5,6-4 which would have them in the thick of the playoffs. Mcnabb I turning 32 and looking at warner,favre,collins, and garcia, I don't see why we can't expect him to play at a high leve for another 5 yrs or so. I wouldn't give up my 1st, but I might swap 1st and give them my 2nd and maybe a player to make it happen. This team is ready offensively, but the inconsistent turnover happy qb's are holding the team back.
Old 11-21-2008   #49
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I'm not playing Monday Morning qb, but I didn't think they should have drafted Carr in the 1st place because the team wasn't ready to support the qb.. My 1st draft wouldve netted the Texans peppers, portis, bryant and Garrad. I thought they shouldve signed a vet and let him get beat up until you build the line on both sides. In 3 yrs, The line would be ready to support the qb. That's dead and gone now.

I thought at the time schaub might be Rob Johnson. A guy with some attributes, but to handle a team every down is different than subbing out. I'm glad they got rid of Carr, but they now have 2 qbs who are turnover prone. I know McNabb will be on the block this year. He's out of bonus money, so a trade is really easy now. Get Mcnabb, restructur Schaub's salary since they already is pying his bonus and put a young guy as the 3rd. Get what you can for sage. The worse thing a avg talent team can have is a double agent at qb. Right now, the texans have double agents at qb. Like I've said earlier, even with the defense, this team is solid qb play from 5-5,6-4 which would have them in the thick of the playoffs. Mcnabb I turning 32 and looking at warner,favre,collins, and garcia, I don't see why we can't expect him to play at a high leve for another 5 yrs or so. I wouldn't give up my 1st, but I might swap 1st and give them my 2nd and maybe a player to make it happen. This team is ready offensively, but the inconsistent turnover happy qb's are holding the team back.
I don't think a better QB turns this thing around.

Good teams have good coaches that match the players on the field. Our offense is doing OK, despite the obvious problem at QB, so it tells me that Kubiak would be a great offensive coordinator here. Just not a good HC.

A good HC doesn't tie himself to a crappy defensive coordinator for so long. In fact, he wouldn't even remotely think of Richard Smith as a choice at all. Would he? No, a good HC is a manager of coaches. Kubiak is not a HC, IMO.

Even a decent QB on this team is going to be puzzled as to why he does everything he can...yet the team finds ways to screw it up. And make no mistake about it, this team cannot get over itself in the area of finding a way to choke itself into unconsciousness. That's on the coaches. They are there to instill, remind, motivate, repeat the teaching, hold them accountable. If coaches are not supposed to be held accountable, then why are they there? Why not just have the players play sandlot football and call their own shots on their own?

Kubiak has one more season before he's off and hitching a ride to somewhere else. Only a miracle of all miracles during the offseason will save him. And I don't see him giving up on Matt Schaub.
Old 11-21-2008   #50
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

NO!!!!!

We have Matt & Nall thats good enough
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #51
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

I just ant people to realize how successful this team can be if it had good qb play. If you just think about this, the td's and yards are even between Mcnabb vs Shaub and Sage. Even when you add the rushing td's its 15 fo mcnabbb and 16 for S&S, but mcnabb has 8 int's and 3 lost fumbles and S&S has 15 int's and 5 fumbles lost. That's 9 more to's, basically almost 1 per game. Now can any realistic fan can say that 1 to per game isn't the difference between 3 and 6 wins. We're talking 9 more cahnces for the offense. The defense would look a lot better if they didn't have to come on the field after those 9 extra to's.

QB is our problem whether people want to admit it or not. The defense has their issue also, but if they played 8 or 9 less plays, how can't that help. We can just look at the redzone int's and to's on their side of the field. Those are huge.
Old 11-21-2008   #52
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
NO!!!!!

We have Matt & Nall thats good enough
Vince Young will be free.
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #53
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 398 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Cassel.
Old 11-21-2008   #54
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

A big resounding "NOOOOOOOOOOO" to Matt Cassell.

That guy walked onto a 16-0 team that lost in the superbowl. And he can't even utilize Randy Moss correctly
Old 11-21-2008   #55
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
And I predicted this thread way back in the summer.

I said that fans on this board would be clamoring for a QB because we'd back into the routine of Schaub being hurt and Sage leading the way. Again.

Still, I got ragged on hard for saying this. How dare I?

So, I'll pat myself on the back and remind those of you who love to flame me and say I don't know crap about football. Anybody who thought Schaub would be playing the whole season are the ones who don't know crap, IMO.

I can't wait to see how in the hell this organization will find a way to fool itself into even remotely thinking about starting Matt Schaub next year after the shoulder injury and now a serious knee injury? Going to be fun to see Matt Schaub zipping all those training camp passes.

I know a bad QB when I see one--I supported Carr way too long. After he was gone, I decided that it shouldn't take too long to know if you got something good or not. It should be pretty resognizable right off the bat. And Schaub was reeking about the 4th game of last season, with each week getting a little worse than the previous one.

QBs love to come to Houston: You get several seasons of suckiness and STILL get to be the starter. What a gig.
Hooray for waiting for players to get seriously injured so we can pat ourselves on the back...
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #56
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 398 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Hooray for waiting for players to get seriously injured so we can pat ourselves on the back...
Ouch!
Old 11-21-2008   #57
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 32907 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone that wants to improve the defense has ingnored one glaring problem.

If our defense gets better, thats means the our offense will be on the field more, and can you imagine the turn overs if we win the time of pocession, they'll increase exponentially Wait I'm confusing myself again!!!!
Big Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #58
Bipolar The Titan
cow pattie chunkin' champ

Rep Power: 515 Bipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe you could send A.Johnson and a 3rd to Tennessee for Vince Young?
Old 11-21-2008   #59
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar The Titan View Post
Maybe you could send A.Johnson and a 3rd to Tennessee for Vince Young?

that's your pile of poop, not ours.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #60
Bipolar The Titan
cow pattie chunkin' champ

Rep Power: 515 Bipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respected

I know... hey, forget about the draft pick..

Just give me A. Johnson...

just let me borrow him for the month of January.

We could stick him in a McCareins jersey.

Nobody has to know it's him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read