Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-19-2008   #21
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is Schaub injury prone?

Well, he sure is cheap shot prone... and seems to have a "glass jaw" so to speak.

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008   #22
TexanBorn51
Veteran

Rep Power: 1327 TexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jared Allen got fined again on a shot this past sunday game.
TexanBorn51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008   #23
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

A difference between Schaub and Carr that I see is that Schaub can actually get rid of the ball. When a QB like Schaub throws the ball, he's avoiding the sack and may even score a touchdown, but he leaves himself completely open to the hit. That's where Schaub is getting hurt, after he throws the ball.

Carr was able to stay healthy for so long because he rarely threw the ball away. That's also why he got more sacks... well, a reason anyway. Carr prepared himself for the hit by going in the fetal position or bracing himself for it. Schaub gets rid of the ball but gets walloped.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008   #24
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81206 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

As an athlete I was very injury prone (have two joints that act funny on cold days to prove it) so I can sympathize. Sometimes your body fails you and there is nothing you can do.

Schaub seems to lack general toughness though, injury or not. Any time he even gets touched by an opposing player he always flops on the ground and lays there for a good long while. He's litterally been nudged and done the same.

Every QB gets cheap shots put on him. That's why guys like Allen, Rodney Harrison, and Hanyesworth get paid the big bucks. A QB that will amount to anything in the NFL plays through it and gets off the turf.

I could never see Schaub playing like Anquan Boldin is this year after that horrific injury
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008   #25
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i think the facts dont lie since hes been here he has missed alot of games for whatever reason

i just calling it like i see it

on paper it does not look good so far
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #26
Nighthawk
All Pro

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha etc.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #27
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
As an athlete I was very injury prone (have two joints that act funny on cold days to prove it) so I can sympathize. Sometimes your body fails you and there is nothing you can do.

Schaub seems to lack general toughness though, injury or not. Any time he even gets touched by an opposing player he always flops on the ground and lays there for a good long while. He's litterally been nudged and done the same.

Every QB gets cheap shots put on him. That's why guys like Allen, Rodney Harrison, and Hanyesworth get paid the big bucks. A QB that will amount to anything in the NFL plays through it and gets off the turf.

I could never see Schaub playing like Anquan Boldin is this year after that horrific injury
I see where you are going with that statement however, blaming a guy for getting his MCL torn and his shoulder seperated from cheap shots is hardly an argument, since all of those other QB's that get cheap shot in the same fashion. Generally speaking guys dont play through those injuries and if they do ala Philip Rivers last season in the playoffs, they are not productive. And to add to that it's not like Schaub is sitting because of nagging injuries.

So to answer the question, no I dont think Schaub is injury prone.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-20-2008   #28
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he's injury prone. I think he's a victim of the Houston sports team's curse.

Some of y'all think the Madden cover is cursed...pffft! The Houston sports team's curse puts the Madden curse to shame. Join a Houston sports team and you're guaranteed to fail in some form.
Old 11-20-2008   #29
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I won't comment on whether or not he's injury prone, but I will say at some point, it becomes irrelevant. All that matters is how much time he spends on the field playing for his team. He can miss time legitimately, or because he's been cheap shotted, or because he has a glass jaw .... whatever. At the end of it, all that's going to matter is whether or not he was out there. At some point, the reasons and excuses no longer matter.
Old 11-20-2008   #30
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub reminds me of an expensive foreign car...paid alot to get it and it looks like it is better than the one you had. It handles better and you enjoy the experiance better, but it never works...it is always in the shop. So you have to spend time in a rental and miss the days when you had a reliable carr(freudian slip)... not as flashy but it could get the job done if taken care of.

Was schaub worth all that we gave up for him? Could David have done better with the weapons we have now and what if we used those pics we traded to atlanta for offensive line help.

We will never know because our expensive Qb is on the rack and our rental that we thought was a Camry turned out to be a KIA. My apologies to KIA owners your car is more reliable than Sage.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #31
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
A difference between Schaub and Carr that I see is that Schaub can actually get rid of the ball. When a QB like Schaub throws the ball, he's avoiding the sack and may even score a touchdown, but he leaves himself completely open to the hit. That's where Schaub is getting hurt, after he throws the ball.

Carr was able to stay healthy for so long because he rarely threw the ball away. That's also why he got more sacks... well, a reason anyway. Carr prepared himself for the hit by going in the fetal position or bracing himself for it. Schaub gets rid of the ball but gets walloped.
Common misconception based on the final couple years here in Houston. From '02 - '04, Carr was as tough as they came; he just never progressed to where he needed to be, and toward the end of '04 began the downhill slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
Could David have done better with the weapons we have now and what if we used those pics we traded to atlanta for offensive line help.
Carr was damaged goods by that point. His chance at an NFL career ended in '04.
Old 11-20-2008   #32
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Schaub injury prone?

Possible answers:

a. Is Starstruck a Cowboys fan?
b. Does Porky dislike Bill Clinton?
c. Does Texan Bill avoid my nachos like the plague?
d. Does Guerilla Black post hot chicks as his avitar?
e. Do I frequently disagree with a buxom Japanese woman?
f. Does She Texan have great seats to every home game?
g. Does Ted-C have a Texan's blue hardhat complete with logo?
h. Does my head look like a mop?
i. Cha/like...well duh...
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #33
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't necessarily think that he's injury prone, just a pocket passer that's not getting very good pass protection.

This is why I'm not sold on the ZBS. Seems like it works great for a mobile QB like Elway or Vick, but a pocket passer like Schaub doesn't have much of a chance.....especially against an above average defense.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #34
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

"Is Schaub injury prone?"

Uh, yep.

But of course...it's not his fault. He receives hits that even Superman would crumble under. And that pesky oline is a problem, too. Matt Schaub just needs a 360-degree 3-yard halo for 5 seconds each pass play and he'd be fine.

When will you guys "get it?" The guy is not durable. All NFL players are going to get hurt. All NFL players are going to have to figure out a way, a way beyond the thinking of most sane people, to stay out of harm's way no matter what. You have to limit the severity of the hits to some degree. You have to be smart 100% of the time.

But you still get hurt. It's just part of the game. Do I know about? A little. I played some ball in school, but not college and not pro. Still, you only have to read the quotes of other NFl players to grasp the fact that all NFL players get dinged up and hurt. A QB in the NFL has to find a way to protect HIMSELF instead of thinking that others are there to ensure his safety.

Man, I am so ready for the Schaub days to be over.
Old 11-21-2008   #35
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 228095 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Injury prone is subjective.

The fact is that he has missed 1/3 or so of the games he's been a Texan. This is a pattern, but he's only been here two years. His fault or not, a third year of the same pattern would be significant to me.
Last year when the first rumblings of "fragile" were in the air I said repeatedly that one season marred by injury does not make a player injury prone or fragile. I also said that if we got a repeat of this in 2008 then it would be a fair topic of discussion. I still stand by that and I think that after two seasons with injuries it's more than fair to ask this question and I can see why some of us think the answer is "yes". I'm leaning toward agreeing and I hate to say that because I think the guy has a chance to really be an excellent QB for us in this system if we could ever get the running game on track consistently. Still, some guys just end up being hurt all the time and in every one of those guys careers there are injuries that can be pointed out as being "not this guys fault" but they happen.

I think that year 3 is it for this as well. Once is fine. Twice is suspicious. Three times is a pattern in my opinion and you go ahead and start working towards another direction following that third season. In fact I'd part ways with the Rosenchopper after this year and try to land the best veteran backup I could find because I'm expecting Schaub's 3rd year to be just like the first two.Then I'd draft a QB following that season and plan on letting Schaub walk if need be. By year 4 if he's going to stick around to try and beat this thing then he's going to do it at a discount and have to beat the other QB's on the roster out for the job.
Old 11-21-2008   #36
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I know Chris Chandelier, and Matt Schaub is no Chris Chandelier.
Old 11-21-2008   #37
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Last year when the first rumblings of "fragile" were in the air I said repeatedly that one season marred by injury does not make a player injury prone or fragile. I also said that if we got a repeat of this in 2008 then it would be a fair topic of discussion. I still stand by that and I think that after two seasons with injuries it's more than fair to ask this question and I can see why some of us think the answer is "yes". I'm leaning toward agreeing and I hate to say that because I think the guy has a chance to really be an excellent QB for us in this system if we could ever get the running game on track consistently. Still, some guys just end up being hurt all the time and in every one of those guys careers there are injuries that can be pointed out as being "not this guys fault" but they happen.

I think that year 3 is it for this as well. Once is fine. Twice is suspicious. Three times is a pattern in my opinion and you go ahead and start working towards another direction following that third season. In fact I'd part ways with the Rosenchopper after this year and try to land the best veteran backup I could find because I'm expecting Schaub's 3rd year to be just like the first two.Then I'd draft a QB following that season and plan on letting Schaub walk if need be. By year 4 if he's going to stick around to try and beat this thing then he's going to do it at a discount and have to beat the other QB's on the roster out for the job.
So he's on the team for two more years, with the last year being a year where he has to earn the spot (finally)?

I'd dump both QBs and move on. But that'd be admitting that it failed, and we know that you don't do that in Houston. You pray and hope. You wait. You give extra chances. It's the decent thing to do.

And at the end of the day, it's the decent teams that win championships.
Old 11-21-2008   #38
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 228095 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
So he's on the team for two more years, with the last year being a year where he has to earn the spot (finally)?

I'd dump both QBs and move on. But that'd be admitting that it failed, and we know that you don't do that in Houston. You pray and hope. You wait. You give extra chances. It's the decent thing to do.

And at the end of the day, it's the decent teams that win championships.
I don't see why not. The guy is hurt because an asshat drove his helmet into Matt's knee. It was a cheap shot and it injured him. That cheap shot injures just about every player it happens to so how are you going to take this season and count it against him? Somebody go get Brett Favre and line up Jared Allen's helmet with Favre's knee and see what happens. I'll tell you what happens, the "Iron Man" goes down just like Schaub did.

Schaub has had a pretty good season apart from the turnovers and in fact played three outstanding games against Jacksonville, Detroit, and Cincinnati (admittedly not "the gauntlet" but still great games) and played well enough to win two others (Tennessee and Miami which we split).

I think his play has earned him a spot on this team. I just think that there is a chance that he might lose that spot if he can't stay healthy and think you prove or disprove that in 2009. Given that we're talking about two years in a row here I go into 2009 prepared for the worst but hoping for the best.

If he makes it through the 2009 season without a major injury then great. We're rolling. If he doesn't then that's when I say head in a new direction and if you're going to keep Schaub on the team at all past that point he's got to be able to win a spot on the roster all over again. I never said I didn't think he'd done enough to earn his place right now and I don't see any reason not to have him around in 2010 even if we're getting a rookie warmed up to take over.
Old 11-21-2008   #39
Bipolar The Titan
cow pattie chunkin' champ

Rep Power: 515 Bipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dump Schaub and go get Colt McCoy. Sign a crappy fa qb too. Get rid of Sage. He will only break your heart.
Old 11-21-2008   #40
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar The Titan View Post
Dump Schaub and go get Colt McCoy. Sign a crappy fa qb too. Get rid of Sage. He will only break your heart.
If there was any way to get McCoy, it would be a G-d send. He is a running, passing QB with great completion percentage, great TD:INT ratio and great QB rating and cannon arm.........Something we have yet to be blessed with.

HIS STATS
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read