Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-04-2005   #21
ALIVE287
Rookie

correction on the roy willaims thing. i believe the lions made a trade with the browns and took roy at the 7. which was a steal becuase many had him ranked as the best in the draft class, which alot of people also feel about derrick johnson.
ALIVE287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005   #22
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

No. I think the Texans will stay put and take BPA. If johnson falls, then he falls.

Also there is a thread about this already in the nfl draft section, which is where this should be...
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005   #23
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

NO. This team has to many holes to fill to be sacrificing first day picks for a single players.

On a side note, are we in for ANOTHER offseason of people screaming that we trade up for a single players. Last year it ws Sean Taylor, I quess this year it's Derrick Johnson.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005   #24
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

two weeks ago I would have agreed on the trading up thing.. but alot has changed the last two weeks :P. We have too many needs.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005   #25
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
On a side note, are we in for ANOTHER offseason of people screaming that we trade up for a single players. Last year it ws Sean Taylor, I quess this year it's Derrick Johnson.
Please god no. I dont know if I can deal with 1 trillion post about trading up. We are #13 in the ENTIRE draft! We will get a good player at an imediate need.

IMO, we are set at OLB. But if Johnson does fall, then im sure we can move wong around to make room. But there are so many needs on this team right now.
Old 01-04-2005   #26
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
Yes, probably so, it's the off season, people like to throw out all sorts of ideas, and you are going to hear them over and over again. I'm sure there are quite a few people who believe there are players good enough to trade up for.

My question to you is, what do you care? Is it that you will have to read extra responses in a thread? I'm a teacher, I'll tell you the same thing I tell my kids, the more you read, the better your comprehension and vocabulary becomes. Enjoy, it's going to be a long 8 months
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005   #27
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Someone said it already. Lets go find all of the Sean Taylor threads from last year and sub in "Derrick Johnson" and simply repost them. I'm sure we will only be seeing clones of those this offseason.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2005   #28
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Why trade up (costing us next year's 1st round pick) to draft DJ when Ahmad Brooks has just as much potential and has experience playing in the 3-4.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005   #29
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Why trade up (costing us next year's 1st round pick) to draft DJ when Ahmad Brooks has just as much potential and has experience playing in the 3-4.
Very good point. But I dont think he has commited to leaving school just yet. There will be a player or two that shifts the whole first round. Lets just hope hes after 13.
Old 01-04-2005   #30
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride
Yes, probably so, it's the off season, people like to throw out all sorts of ideas, and you are going to hear them over and over again. I'm sure there are quite a few people who believe there are players good enough to trade up for.

My question to you is, what do you care? Is it that you will have to read extra responses in a thread? I'm a teacher, I'll tell you the same thing I tell my kids, the more you read, the better your comprehension and vocabulary becomes. Enjoy, it's going to be a long 8 months

Yeah, I'll probaly read the first dozen or so; but hopefully with how much better the team did by not trading up the cries for doing it won't be that bad this year.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005   #31
phan1
All Pro

Boy I would love to have Derrick Johnson, but I really think we would have to sacrifice too much to get a guy like him. He'll probably be the first defensive player taken in the draft, so we would really have to trade WAY up. It would just cost us too much.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005   #32
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, there is a BIG difference between trading up with your first pick by using a lot of your draft up and trading up to get an additional 1st round pick using a lot of your draft. I wasn't all that thrilled last year to use those picks (I like Babin though) but to do that for only one first rounder would be a VERY dangerouse thing to do. We need all the first day picks we have this year and if we could manage to get one or two more it would be great.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005   #33
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I dont think that we will give up all that would be wanted for a Derrick Johnson. And on a lot of mock drafts they have him falling somewhere near #9 or #10 but hay maybe he will fall to #13. If he does then I dont see how we pass him up but I dont think that we would trade up for him even though i see him as the best player in the draft.

And i do represtent one of the people who thought that it would do us some major good to trade up for ST last year. And if I remember correctly the Texans also coveted him and had a deal made with Wash before the Redskins backed out in the last minute.
Old 01-04-2005   #34
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Spears

Is he a 3-4, two gap guy, I like the idea of drafting a DL in the first round. If Smith moves over that will solve two problems, kinda like last year and Robinson which moved Coleman to FS
cj5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005   #35
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
I dont think that we will give up all that would be wanted for a Derrick Johnson. And on a lot of mock drafts they have him falling somewhere near #9 or #10 but hay maybe he will fall to #13. If he does then I dont see how we pass him up but I dont think that we would trade up for him even though i see him as the best player in the draft.

And i do represtent one of the people who thought that it would do us some major good to trade up for ST last year. And if I remember correctly the Texans also coveted him and had a deal made with Wash before the Redskins backed out in the last minute.
Not to fuel the fire here, but IF a scenario came about where we are talking the difference between #10 and #13 then maybe--unlike last year where we were looking at #10 and #5--huge price difference.

And Buff, where did you see anything other than a rumor that MAYBE Houston and the Skins were talking? Never saw even a hint that a deal was made.
Old 01-05-2005   #36
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
WLB Derrick Johnson (#11) makes plays all over the field and is at his best when he is free to run to the football. He probably fits a 4-3 defense better than a 3-4.
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/index.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005   #37
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was one of the biggest sean taylor supporters last year...but that was because i thought he was the best player in the draft. Dunta was so much better, so i guess i'll take my crow. In this draft, i feel like the best 2 players are braylon edwards and carlos rogers, but i will really be happy with us taking BPA at 13...i dont think we should trade down in such a weak draft. D line would be nice, a non injury prone tight end would be nice, maybe a middle linebacker. My only preferences are no trade downs, and the pick either be braylon or defense, with emphasis on rogers.
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005   #38
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see another cornerback in round 1 (face it Dante is grooming for Glenns job and be nice to have someone fill in for Dante''s slot afterward)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read