Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-03-2005   #1
texansalltheway
Rookie

Default Derrick Johnson?

If Derrick Johnson drops low enough (say below 8) would you trade our first and 2nd for him?

Possible needs?
1 San Francisco 49ers-Lienart
2 Miami Dolphins-Cedric "little Ricky" Benson
3 Cleveland Browns-Rodgers
4 Chicago Bears -Ferguson
5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers-Mike Williams
6 Tennessee Titans- Erasmus James
7 Oakland Raiders-Cadillac Williams
8 Arizona Cardinals-Ronnie Brown
9 Washington Redskins- Mathias Kiwanuka
10 Detroit Lions-Derrick Johnson
11 Dallas Cowboys-Antrel Rolle
12 San Diego Chargers-Alex Barron
13 Houston Texans-???

In this scenario we could possible give up our 1st and 2nd for the 9th pick and that works using the point scale:
9th pick=1350
13th pick=1150
45th pick=450
(technically we could trade the 3rd rd pick from Dallas and it would be fair)

Washington needs extra picks anyways since they don't have a 2nd again and they need a DE and Kiwanuka could still fall to them at 13.

Johnson is a playmaking LB that could thrive in a system built around LB. He forced 9 fumbles this year Houston as a team only recovered 8. He could also be a force in the passing game rushing or dropping back into coverage.
texansalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #2
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

First and second??????????????
Dont think CC or DC would agree to that, Maybe a first and one of our 3rds or a first and jay Foreman and a 6th or somehing.
Although he is the best player in the draft IMO I dont think wed give that much for him.
Old 01-03-2005   #3
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

No way! We've got to add a lot of depth to this team. If we keep trading multiple picks for one player, it'll take us another 5 years to make a serious run at the Superbowl. We've got quite a few 30+ y/o players as starters & backups right now. With age comes injuries. If we don't add depth & youth this year, we could end up just like the Browns.
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #4
texansfan88
All Pro

OH MAN! I thought after the Sean Taylor **** last year this stuff would go away...I guess not. It's not happening, get over it
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #5
gwallaia

Rep Power: 68496 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Marcus Spears, Ahmand Brooks, Derrick Johnson are the guys I'm thinking the Texans might consider.

Don't be surprised if the 49ers trade away the 1st pick.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #6
AndroidRaider24
Rookie

I think teams will be tempted to take him , and he will be taken in the top 10 , he is just to good to pass up.
AndroidRaider24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #7
texansalltheway
Rookie

Charley has said it is a weak class so what can we expect from our 2nd rd pick? We still have 2 3rd rd picks so we still end up with 7 players to help with depth, not to mention we could find help in free agency. essentially we are only giving up our 2nd rd pick to move up a few spots in the first to pick, arguable the best athlete of the draft. All this assuming he falls a few spots. We gave up a lot more for Babin who was an unknown last year, this is a chance to get a playmaker on defense.
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2005   #8
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

If anybody watched the Auburn game, i think we should take a serious look at carlos rogers....him and dunta as a tandem for years to come is just scary
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #9
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont see the Texans moving anywhere. They make good solid 1st round picks. I think the only way to win the draft is to move down in exchange for more 1st day picks.

If you trade up, you are only gambling with a greater cost than everyone else. Stay where you are and see what talent falls to you.

In your senario these players are still available to you!

Thomas Davis, S, Georgia
Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan
Ahmad Brooks, OLB, Virginia
Rodrique Wright, DT, Texas
Marcus Spears, DE, L.S.U.

Why would you trade out of a player like this?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #10
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Also, if this is such a weak draft, then why not try trading down & pick up an extra pick next year. In other words, drop down into the high teens or low 20's & pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year.
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

speaking of Wright... At the rose bowl I heard NOTHING of him.. Was he in the lineup?
(being serious because I didn't see the start of the game
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #12
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
speaking of Wright... At the rose bowl I heard NOTHING of him.. Was he in the lineup?
(being serious because I didn't see the start of the game
He sure was. Never made a play.
Old 01-03-2005   #13
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
He sure was. Never made a play.
Did Michigan's running game do anything? Then he did his job. He is a DT not a DE. He occasionally can creat some pressure, but he is best at taking up blockers...
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

they rushed for about 140ish

Michigan did a good job of running at DJ
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005   #15
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default speed at the DE

Dan Coady USC Texans First round pick

Anybody????
cj5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005   #16
texansalltheway
Rookie

Cody has a problem with depression. Great guy but that could be a concern to a team like the Texans.
Old 01-04-2005   #17
tiger06
Veteran

As much as I'd love to get Johnson, I wouldn't trade up to get him. I'd like to see us draft a D-lineman, safety, or TE with our first pick. Spears, Thomas Davis, or Heath Miller. We could also use nother receiver like Edwards to compliment AJ.
tiger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005   #18
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the idea of Miller (TE) or Edwards (WR) for first pick unless Rolle happens to be around. A NT then in the second round and use both 3s for O-line center and Gaurd.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005   #19
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think you can go for a player like Edwards when you have so many other needs. If the front office is still geared towards going D, then you mind as well give up on Edwards. Unless Johnson gets hurt, we will not pick Edwards. Especially since Payne went down.

If I were picking what positions we needed, they would be NT/LB/CB/DE/S

NT - Replace Seth.
LB - Inisde or out. Draft an ILB, or draft an OLB, and move Wong to Inside.
CB- Eventually repleace Glenn and give us the best corners in the leage. Ala Dolphins.
DE - Take Spears, and move Smith inside to NT.
S - Davis would give us a scary secondary.

I dont see us going LT, because I think they see some promise in Wand.
I dont see them going WR, because we have Johnson.
I dont see them going RB until 3-4th round.
I dont see them going TE until we cut or trade Joppru.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005   #20
ALIVE287
Rookie

Default trade up for d. johnson?

i say the texans do whatever it takes to trade up and get derrick johnson. he's that good. he'd be a guaranteed defensive playmaker for the franchise for years and years to come. he's a lock. look at roy williams last year (yeah, ok, im talking about another longhorn) but look at how the lions stole him last year by trading up.i'd rather trade up and take derrick johnson now than take a chance on someone else. they could put derrick in the middle with sharper. i dunno, i could be crazy. what do you think? it looks like a weak draft class and i think derrick johnson is too good of a player to pass up.
ALIVE287 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read