Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-07-2005   #21
hou059
Veteran

At this point things are so iffy, all we can do is speculate. I think after the combine is when Mock Drafts start to get very detailed and become accurate. I like Wright because of his attitude and discipline and Fergeson for the same reason but Fergy won't be there at #13 but there is a good chance that Wright or Barron will. If Payne leaves that leaves a huge void on the d-line and yeah he hasn't been putting up great stats but at this point there is no one that can fill his role without hurting another position aside from Smith and then you have a void at the end spot on the d-line. Wand will come around, he wasn't really supposed to be starting until this comming season anyway so he is a year ahead of schedule. But it wouldn't hurt to seek an OT in the 3rd round for depth.
hou059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #22
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Found another mock for y'alls enjoyment, but be warned you're not going to like who we pass over comapried to who we take.

http://www.gbnreport.com/coyle.htm
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #23
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3791 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Wow. That one has us passing on Ronnie Brown, Antaajj Hawthorne, DJ, and Mathias Kiwanuka.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #24
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I guess I'll take a crack at a mock draft (Since Leinart and Ferguson said that they are staying in college, they will not be included)

1. 49ers - QB Aaron Rogers
2. Dolphins - RB Cedric Benson
3. Browns - OT Alex Barron
4. Bears - WR Mike Williams
5. Tampa Bay - DT Rodrique Wright
6. Titans - OT Jammal Brown
7. Raiders - LB Derrick Johnson
8. Arizona - RB Carnell Williams
9. Washington - DE Mathias Kiwanuka
10. Lions - SS Thomas Davis
11. Cowboys - CB Antrel Rolle
12. Chargers - WR Braylon Edwards
13. Texans - DE Marcus Spears
14. Carolina - OT Marcus McNeil
15. Chiefs - CB PacMan Jones
16. Saints - LB Ahman Brooks
17. Bengals - DT Travis Johnson
18. Cowboys - DE Erasmus James
19. Jacksonville - DE David Pollack
20. Ravens - WR Mark Clayton
F-minus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #25
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 41516 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

where is the offical link to Leinart NOT entering the 2005 NFL draft?
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #26
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think there is one yet, but most are assuming he'll stay since PEte Carrol is staying. We'll now for sure on the 15th. Even more puzzling to me is all teh mock drafts including teh 3 players from Virginia when none have said anything, except that they are all leaning towards returning to school.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #27
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I'm sure that the players from Virginia are just feeling out their draft stock, they are makeing sure that they have ligit shots a being 1st round pics and are not going to fall like Randy Starks and PK Sams did, even thought they weren't 1st round projections.
F-minus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2005   #28
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 41516 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

looks like the first modification is already upon beerlover with 9. Washington - Mathias Kiwanuka DE, Boston College. staying in school. Gibbs loves tightends which it what surprised me last year when he passed on Kellen Winslow, so heres the #1 tightend in this years draft Heath Miller out of Virginia. Guess what he passes again! Out with Brunell & in with Aaron Rodgers.

1. 49ers - Matt Leinart QB, USC.
2. Dolphins - Alex Barron OT, Florida State.
3. Browns - Marcus McNeal OT, Auburn.
4. Chicago - Braylon Edwards WR, Michigan.
5. Tampa Bay - Cadillac Williams RB, Auburn.
6. Titans - Derrick Johnson LB, Texas.
7. Oakland - Mike Williams WR, USC.
8. Arizona - Cedric Benson RB, Texas.
9. Washington - Aaron Rogers QB, Cal.
10. Detroit - Thomas Davis S, Georgia.
11. Dallas - Antrell Rolle CB, Miami.
12. Chargers (via Giants) - Erasmus James DE, Wisconsin.
13. Texans - Haloti Ngata NT, Oregon.
14. Carolina - Ronnie Brown RB, Auburn.
15. Kansas City - Marlin Jackson CB, Michigan.
16, New Orleans - David Pollack LB/DE, Georgia.
17. Cincinnati - Mark Clayton WR, Oklahoma.
18. Cowboys (via Buffalo) - Anttaj Hawthorne DT, Wisconsin.
19. Jacksonville - Adam Jones CB, West Virginia.
20. Ravens - Elton Brown OG, Virginia
Old 01-09-2005   #29
beerlover
Site Contributor

Here is my updated Mock Draft through the first round of the playoffs. Note: The draft order is subject to change as teams win & lose in the playoffs. For instance, the teams that make it to the Superbowl pick last (#31,#32) regardless of regular season record, so if the Rams or Vikings reach the Superbowl the teams behind them in selection order all move up one spot. If both the Vikings (#18) & Rams (#19) lose before the Superbowl they fall back into position.

1. 49ers - Matt Leinart QB, USC.
2. Dolphins - Alex Barron OT, Florida State.
3. Browns - Marcus McNeal OT, Auburn.
4. Bears - Braylon Edwards WR, Michigan.
5. Bucs - Cadillac Williams RB, Auburn.
6. Titans - Derrick Johnson LB, Texas.
7. Raiders - Mike Williams WR, USC.
8. Cardinals - Cedric Benson RB, Texas.
9. Redskins - Aaron Rogers QB, Cal.
10. Lions - Thomas Davis S, Georgia.
11. Cowboys - Antrell Rolle CB, Miami.
12. Chargers (via Giants) - Erasmus James DE, Wisconsin.
13. Texans - Haloti Ngata NT, Oregon.
14. Panthers - Ronnie Brown RB, Auburn.
15. Chiefs - Marlin Jackson CB, Michigan.
16, Saints - David Pollack LB/DE, Georgia.
17. Bengals - Mark Clayton WR, Oklahoma.
18. Cowboys (via Buffalo) - Anttaj Hawthorne DT, Wisconsin.
19. Jaguars - Adam Jones CB, West Virginia.
20. Ravens - Elton Brown OG, Virginia
21. Seahawks - Brandon Browner CB, Oregon State.
22. Packers - Alex Smith QB, Utah.
23. Broncos - Shawn Cody DT, USC.

Last edited by beerlover; 01-10-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-09-2005   #30
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 24962 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see the Packers passing up a defensive player for Alex Smith...

They already have O'Sullivan and Nall, and defense is their primary concern....
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005   #31
hou059
Veteran

I really don't see the Texans picking Ngata, too much of a liability at #13, I would definetly take a chance on him with a 2nd or 3rd round choice.
Old 01-10-2005   #32
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

The last mock draft I saw was done on 01/07/05 has us taking Ronnie Brown RB from Auburn with our 13th pick, Haloti Ngata DT from Oregon with our 47th pick, James Butler FS from Georgia Tech with our 73rd pick, and Anthony Alabi OT from TCU with our 78th pick. Any thoughts on these picks?
Old 01-10-2005   #33
beerlover
Site Contributor

fair enough,

I have Ronnie Brown still available @ #13 (going 14th to the Panthers-mind you my mock only) if the 6'5" 350 lb JR. NT out of the U of O does not declare, Ronnie has a legitimate chance. Otherwise if Ngata does declare & the Texans do not select him in the 1st round, NO way he lasts until we pick again in the 2nd. Therefore in the 2nd I really like MLB Odell Thurman he could start next year and really tighten the coverage underneath & is exceptionally quick side to side in run support.

James Butler seems like a good prospect, but I feel the Texans will address the offensive line with the best available player here, maybe as you suggested Anthony Alabi but if Logan Mankins is available he would make an excellent LG & eventually a solid LT. Its a deep CB draft as well maybe one of the larger more physical corner like Jimmy Williams 6-3 215 4.5 - Virginia Tech.

Basicly your on the right track, not bad at all
Old 01-10-2005   #34
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't do that up beer, it was from the last mock draft I saw. If we could take Ronnie Brown at #13, then address the LB, OL, and DL I would be happy with that. I do not understand why so many mocks have us taking safeties in this draft. I do not think we should take a S in this draft.
Old 01-10-2005   #35
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
I didn't do that up beer, it was from the last mock draft I saw. If we could take Ronnie Brown at #13, then address the LB, OL, and DL I would be happy with that. I do not understand why so many mocks have us taking safeties in this draft. I do not think we should take a S in this draft.
I agree with that your on the right track "BPA who fullfills a NEED & fits the moral fiber character of the TEAM"
Old 01-10-2005   #36
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61582 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
These guys got this info early in the year with Eric Brown still playing and won't let it go. Most of the guys who do these things get their team needs from another site without actually watching the team play. The killing thing is that often those guys have us like reaching in the first round to fill a need that is not even a need.
ArlingtonTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005   #37
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
These guys got this info early in the year with Eric Brown still playing and won't let it go. Most of the guys who do these things get their team needs from another site without actually watching the team play. The killing thing is that often those guys have us like reaching in the first round to fill a need that is not even a need.
This mock was done 3 days ago, but I agree with your post.
Old 01-11-2005   #38
hou059
Veteran

I think Ngata is a wildcard, if he can prove he is 100% recovered rom his knee injuries than his stock will shoot through the roof and he will be a top 15 pick, if not then the Texans can pick him up in the third round. He is a wiiiiide body that can take up the middle of the opposing team's o-line and collapse a play. It all depends on his knees.
Old 01-12-2005   #39
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't see the Texans taking Barron. We need interior line help and he wouldn't address that at all, neither Wade nor Wand could move to guard or center. I think there is plenty of optimism for Wand and they just gave Wade a big 5 year contract last year.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005   #40
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

It Rolle dropped down close to 13- I think I'd take him- despite having needs elsewhere. CB is a position where depth is always an asset (nickel and dime packages, for instance)
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read