Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-18-2008   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Vikes playoff push in jeopardy: 3 DL-men to visit the commish

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/spo...ry/360378.html

Quote:
The Williams Wall will appear to discuss testing positive for a weight-loss diuretic that is on the list of substances banned by the league. They face four-game suspensions for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Allen will be there to talk about a hit on Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers two weeks ago that could leave him vulnerable to a suspension because it came two days after he was fined $50,000 for hits on Houston's Matt Schaub.
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Vikes playoff push in jeopardy: 3 DL-men to visit the commish

I'm not at all worried about Allen .... hell todays QB's are a protected species in comparison to QB's in the past .... They need to grow a pair as does the league on the issue.

HWWNBM at least had some nads .... I recall a time he lined up under the guard after getting up from a nasty hit.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008   #3
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I'm not at all worried about Allen .... hell todays QB's are a protected species in comparison to QB's in the past .... They need to grow a pair as does the league on the issue.

HWWNBM at least had some nads .... I recall a time he lined up under the guard after getting up from a nasty hit.
I agree mostly, but to blindside a guy in the knee when he cant defend himself is a little far. And you cant tell me it wasnt his goal to put Schaub out.
Old 11-19-2008   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope Allen gets suspended. The guy is a dirty cheap hit artist. He may be talented, but diving at QBs knees after they've planted and thrown the ball is only in an effor to injure someone
Old 11-19-2008   #5
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sean Jensen of the Pioneer Press reports that the NFL will fine Allen $25,000 but will not suspend him after his meeting this week with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.
pft

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I sometimes wonder, if off the record, these fines are being paid by the team owner or through some collective agreement. You'd think dirty players would quit being so dirty after shelling out nearly 100k
Old 11-19-2008   #7
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I sometimes wonder, if off the record, these fines are being paid by the team owner or through some collective agreement. You'd think dirty players would quit being so dirty after shelling out nearly 100k
I don't know

that 100k to them equivellant to me paying 1.50 for a 16oz dr pepper at the convient store but I still go back

j/k
Sponsored links
Old 11-19-2008   #8
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wonder if the fined money goes to the players he hurts?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I don't know

that 100k to them equivellant to me paying 1.50 for a 16oz dr pepper at the convient store but I still go back

j/k
I did the math on Allen's fine. The $50K fine was equivalent to $200 for someone who makes $50K a year. Needless to say, the impact doesn't scale in a linear fashion.
Old 11-19-2008   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Allen will be there to talk about a hit on Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers two weeks ago that could leave him vulnerable to a suspension because it came two days after he was fined $50,000 for hits on Houston's Matt Schaub.
It just goes to show that these fines are completely ineffective with some players. I hope Goodell throws the book at him.
Old 11-19-2008   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Nope, all he gets is a 25k fine
Old 11-20-2008   #12
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope, all he gets is a 25k fine
Get to work Mario. Manning should never make it out of the 1st quarter for the rest of his career.
Old 12-03-2008   #13
Wolf
100% Texan

Default Judge blocks suspensions of Vikings’ Williamses

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS (AP)—A Minnesota judge on Wednesday temporarily blocked the NFL’s suspension of Vikings stars Kevin and Pat Williams for violating the league’s anti-doping policy, but the players’ status for Sunday’s game at Detroit remained uncertain.

Hennepin County District Judge Gary Larson issued the temporary restraining order at the players’ request, saying he wanted more time to hear arguments in the case. No further hearing date immediately was set.

The Williamses were among six players suspended for four games for testing positive for a diuretic that can be used as a masking agent for steroids. They have argued that the substance containing the diuretic didn’t list all its ingredients, and that league scientists and lawyers had information about the substance but withheld it from players.

The NFL argues that the league’s policy on banned substances is collectively bargained with the players’ association and players are responsible for what is in their bodies.
Old 12-04-2008   #14
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Judge blocks suspensions of Vikings’ Williamses

i like that no one really cares when NFL players get caught doing anything with banned substances
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #15
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
i like that no one really cares when NFL players get caught doing anything with banned substances
Kast

I am not sure what you mean here?

You are a good poster here and a real fan of football.
(In my pea brained opinion anyway )

Out of curiosity, which do you consider to be more specious:

1) Fining a player (a miniscule amount ) who makes deliberate efforts to injure other players and allowing him to play again the following week to do it again,

or

2) Suspending a player four games for taking a water pill. ( That could? be used to mask the use of steriods?).

Please don't misunderstand this as me defending players who break the rules, whether or not they were unaware of the content of the pill.

My point is that Goodell seems to be more concerned with transgressions outside the lines than those inside the lines.

Of course fans don't want other teams players using illegal means ( banned substances) to gain a competitive advantage.

By the same token.....fans don't want their players deliberately injured and not able to play in subsequent games.

Accidents happen.....but maliciousness is planned.

Where's the balance?

You have an opinion on this?

Old 12-05-2008   #16
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 43676 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post

RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #17
Wolf
100% Texan

Kast, I am not sure what you mean

Are you referring to the difference (media-wise) to what Barry bonds,Roger Clemens etc,etc did as far as steroids in baseball compared to media with the banned substance with the NFL?

am I semi-on track with your thought process?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read