Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-02-2004   #21
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
As I said, will try to dig up the comparison and post shortly but statistically, AJ's hands are not bad.
Well, they say there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. AJ had a good start to his career, especially for an underclassman WR, but there were plays to be made that he didn't make. Not just drops but in coming up with the ball in coverage. Still, I thought I saw the light come on for AJ in the Titan game at Reliant. He seemed to realize his size advantage and became much more physical with the DB's. I look for that to continue this season and for AJ to make that leap into the top 7-8 Wr's in the game.

Any team attempting press coverage against AJ should be punished for it. There's not a corner in this league or on this planet that AJ shouldn't be able to toss aside like a rag doll and beat deep. If Carr comes to the line and sees press coverage, he should automatic to AJ everytime.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004   #22
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Any team attempting press coverage against AJ should be punished for it. There's not a corner in this league or on this planet that AJ shouldn't be able to toss aside like a rag doll and beat deep. If Carr comes to the line and sees press coverage, he should automatic to AJ everytime.
It was against the Patriots when Banks did that. He saw Poole right up on AJ, gave him the signal for the deep route in the endzone, and touchdown Texans. Got to love it.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004   #23
bballer3215
Rookie

I dont think Andre Johnson gets enough credit for how good of a rookie season he had. Heres how his rookie season compares with the rookie seasons of some of the NFL's best...

Andre Johnson 66 catches 976 yards
Torry Holt 52 catches 788 yards
Terrell Owens 35 catches 520 yards
Marvin Harrison 64 catches 836 yards
Chad Johnson 28 catches 329 yards
Hines Ward 15 catches 246 yards
Jerry Rice 49 catches 927 yards
Plaxico Burress 27 catches 273 yards
Derrick Mason 14 catches 186 yards
Amani Toomer 1 catch 12 yards

You should get my point, Andre Johnson had a great rookie season and his future looks very bright, especially considering he was an underclassmen so next year should be his real rookie season.
Old 05-02-2004   #24
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballer3215
I dont think Andre Johnson gets enough credit for how good of a rookie season he had.
The reason is hasnt got enough credit nationally is because of Aquain Boldin.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 05-02-2004   #25
thebigtrip
Rookie

I definitely see AJ as a top 5-10 receiver this year and will be even better for years to come. I think, along with most others, that Gaff and/or someone else (Bradford, Armstrong, a rookie) needs to step up and become a solid threat as well to relieve the pressure and double teams from AJ. However, defenses must respect our running game too, with DD emerging as a star back in this league, people will have to play against the run as well. All I see this season is that the sky is the limit, Carr is in his 3rd year and should step up and produce some solid numbers; the sky is the limit and we could even make the playoffs if the defense stays intact.
thebigtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004   #26
Andre_Johnson88
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Andre_Johnson88 Send a message via MSN to Andre_Johnson88 Send a message via Yahoo to Andre_Johnson88
Lightbulb

All of yall's responses about Andre I totally agree with and they make me even more pumped for this season to get rolling.In addition to Andre,another receiver to look out for is Sloan Thomas to make a huge impact due to him getting overshadowed by Roy.........
Old 05-02-2004   #27
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre Johnson is the most physically gifted receiver in the league bar none. If Carr had been healthy all season, AJ would have had better numbers than Boldin and won rookie of the year.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-02-2004   #28
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

yeah...every rookie reciever has his growing pains during his rookie campaign...i'm not worried at all...their second season is normally way better...but it's their third season which is their breakout season...heck just look at chad johnson this past season...went to the pro bowl...the first bengal to go to the pro bowl in who knows when...and he's becoming a house hold name...mainly due to his endzone exploits...which i don't think andre will do...he enjoys leaping into the bull pen too much...just wait this season you'll see him wanting to be the go to guy and more of an redzone force!!!
Old 05-02-2004   #29
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
just wait this season you'll see him wanting to be the go to guy and more of an redzone force!!!
I pray our redzone offense is better, and it probably will be for a couple of reasons
1) Carr in his 3rd year
2) Japporu (dont know if you can say coming back, saying he was really never there)
3) Gaffney (has made some unbelieveable catches, like the one against KC when he came back to the ball that was thrown low and behind, and Buffalo where he made the one handed catch going away from the ball)
4) DD being able to catch and run out of the backfield
5) Billy Miller of course and maybe Tony Hollings
6) AJ demanding more attention
7) and hopefully a more aggresive approach

Old 05-02-2004   #30
Texanholic01
waterboy

I expect the tandem of Carr/Johnson to be an explosive one this season. I don't feel that Johnson can afford a sophomore slump this this year. As long as Davis is running like he did last year and Carr gets the proper protection there should be no reason for Johnson not to join the 1,000 yd. receiving club this year. Hopefully, we'll open this offense up a bit more, but that will depend on how the running game and protection is going though!
Texanholic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004   #31
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

As the team improves as a unit, Andre Johnson will improve as a receiver. One thing that impressed me immensely last season was AJ's blocking ability; he is very active when he does not have the ball.

I wager we will see marked improvement in the chemistry with Carr and Johnson this season.
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004   #32
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I was watching some games today that I had recorded and AJ is just amazing to watch once he's got the ball and turning upfield. He hits defensive backs, they don't hit him. He just mows people over.

Also Fiddy you should add that our blocking should be much improved in 2004. With Wade coming in and Brown coming back I expect the Texans to be stuffed inside the ten a lot less often than they were last year. Not that they were getting manhandled or anything but our blocking is going to get better and add that to another years experience for DD and I see some more "DOMANICK DAVIS AT THE 5! AT THE 1! TOUCHDOWN TEXANS!"
Old 05-02-2004   #33
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Well, they say there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. AJ had a good start to his career, especially for an underclassman WR, but there were plays to be made that he didn't make.
Sure there are stats that lie. Deion Sanders has cruddy statistics for tackles, passes defended, even INT's because he was so good people didn't throw his way much. Stats certainly don't tell how good he was. But in those instances there is another explanation for why the stats don't tell the story. IMO dropped balls is a stat that it is very easy and accurate to compare across the league. To that end, here are some of the top WR's from last year to compare to AJ's 10 drops:

Torry Holt 5
Randy Moss 9
Anquon Boldin 10
Marvin Harrison 7
Laveranues Coles 11
Terrell Owens 11
Isaac Bruce 5
David Boston 9
Jerry Rice 6
Koren Robinson 10
Peerless Price 8

Does AJ drop the ball--sure. Do all WR's drop the ball--yup even the magic handed Randy Moss with 9 or ROY Boldin with 10 or $35 mil Coles with 11 or $42 mil Price with 8. So does AJ not have a problem, or do they all have bad hands?

IMO this is all internet legend/hype whatever. Last year the hype was Rogers had better hands, but AJ was bigger and more physical but had dropping problems. Now every time AJ drops the ball it is ahah they were right he drops the ball this is what I was worried about when we drafted him instead of Rogers.

For the record, with 40% as many balls thrown his direction Rogers had 5 drops. You do the math.

AJ doesn't have bad hands, he has bad hype.
Old 05-02-2004   #34
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

How many dropped passes has to be factored by how many reception attempts inorder for the figure to be meaningful. I bet Harrison had a heck of a lot more passes thrown his way than AJ. I think the figures are misleading unless they are factored by the receiving attempts.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004   #35
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
How many dropped passes has to be factored by how many reception attempts inorder for the figure to be meaningful. I bet Harrison had a heck of a lot more passes thrown his way than AJ. I think the figures are misleading unless they are factored by the receiving attempts.
It would be more accurate to divide the drops by the intended passes and get a drop percentage but it would be a pain and so to compensate, I included people with both more passes their way such as Harrison and less such as Robinson. The examination you are pointing out is made though for Rogers. The player that no one questions as having better hands than AJ dropped a higher percentage of the balls intended for him yet I have not heard anyone question his hands.
Old 05-02-2004   #36
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Don't get me wrong, I think AJ is a heck of a player, but I believe his hands are limiting his greatness. He does so many other things that will assist the team that you can't obviously down play. He will always be a big contributor. As many have said, once he has the ball, he is a tough cookie to bring down and he has a nose for the end zone.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

And don't get me wrong Ibar--there was a special on one of the Rams WR's and how he caught 200 balls a day to work on his hands. I would hope that AJ will show that kind of work ethic to improve--by all reports that is the kind of work ethic he does have. I think it is also premature to decide how this will limit his career since he was (a) a rookie and (b) adapting to the transition from Dorsey to Carr--big transition. Nonetheless, would love to hear a report that he has been working on this in the off-season.

I still find it funny that Rogers' hands have never been called into question although he was dropping balls at a faster rate than AJ. IMO unless AJ doesn't drop a single ball this is going to be a reputation albatross around his neck--one that Rogers will probably never bear just because his reputation is for great hands.
Old 05-03-2004   #38
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
(b) adapting to the transition from Dorsey to Carr--big
Well, I'd make that part "adapting to the transition from Dorsey to Carr to Banks to Ragone to Carr"
Old 05-03-2004   #39
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Breakout year

With the Texans having a running threat, Johnson will breakout of his shell and show everyone why we chose him third. 90 receptions and 1,400 yards at least. Big play threat with homerun potential on every time he touches the ball. This guy is fast, quick, strong, and there are not too many CB's that are going to match up. Put carr in the mix, and this is a cocktail for a bomb!
Old 05-03-2004   #40
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's give AJ credit for something he is great at - yards after the catch. Andre lead NFL WR's in yards after catch average (minimum 40 receptions) at 6.7 YAC. Steve Smith of Carolina was 2nd at 6.3. Bradford's average is 9.9 YAC, but he had only 24 receptions.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read