Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008   #1
JWarren14
Beer Me
 
JWarren14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Galleria
Section: 516 Row B
Posts: 800
Rep Power: 843 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14
Default Hoke is a Joke

I know Richard Smith needs to go, but our secondary is scary bad. I know it was Peyton Manning and their offense is as good as any, but I am sick and tired of our corners giving 10+ yard cushion and the WR stops catches the ball and turns up field and gets 5+ yards. Watching the MNF game and Buffalo's DBs played Edwards and Winslow very well, I was wondering why in the hell we can't cover like that. It's crazy what happens when a corner turns his head and looks back at the ball. So my question is do we fire Richard Smith and all the other Defensive coaches or just Smith and a few coordinators? Is it lack of talent, lack of coaching, or is our secondary on performance detraction drugs?
__________________
I drink because the Texans make me.
JWarren14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Texan_Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston. Mediocrity Lives Here!!
Section: Bull Pen!!
Age: 46
Posts: 47,885
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hoke is a Joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
I know Richard Smith needs to go, but our secondary is scary bad. I know it was Peyton Manning and their offense is as good as any, but I am sick and tired of our corners giving 10+ yard cushion and the WR stops catches the ball and turns up field and gets 5+ yards. Watching the MNF game and Buffalo's DBs played Edwards and Winslow very well, I was wondering why in the hell we can't cover like that. It's crazy what happens when a corner turns his head and looks back at the ball. So my question is do we fire Richard Smith and all the other Defensive coaches or just Smith and a few coordinators? Is it lack of talent, lack of coaching, or is our secondary on performance detraction drugs?
Unfortunately, with the talent (or lackof) we have two options:

A) Press and get burned deep.
B) Cushion and keep everything in front of you

Pick your poison.....
__________________
We SUCK AGAIN!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #3
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame
 
Second Honeymoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 5,330
Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: Hoke is a Joke

Hoke, Smith, and the rest of the Defensive Staff suck donkey turds, but so does their talent. We need to do a clean sweep through our defensive coaching ranks and get rid of everyone on the defensive coaching staff and i mean EVERYONE. And while we are at it we need to kick Weaver, Greenwood, CCBrown, Harrison, and Travis Johnson to the freaking curb. We need new blood and those guys have all pretty much been failures beside CCBRown but the next time he covers someone will be the first time.

We need to bring in a DC who will have 100% control of the defensive scheme and of the defensive staff that he hires. It's the only way we will get a decent DC and its the only way said DC would have any chance at succeeding and sticking around. We should have hired either of Buddy Ryan's sons last year but we were more than happy to sit through another abortion of a season with Smith at the DC helm. Basically we need the DC to be the head coach of the defense so Gary can concentrate on keeping the offense progressing and finding a QB that can A.) stay healthy and B.) not turn the ball over constantly.

I am pretty much resigned to Kubiak being back in 0-9 due to his 3 game swath of destruction against the mightly Lions, Dolphins, and Bengals....y'know that is the stuff of legend around here, so I will just have to deal with another season with a bad head coach. don't get me wrong, Gary is a good coordinator but he is a horrible and pathetic Head Coach.

2009 here we come!!
__________________
@DougVanHorne on Twitter (CardinalDoug)
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #4
Blake
MMQB
 
Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring
Section: 551
Posts: 10,648
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hoke is a Joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
I know Richard Smith needs to go, but our secondary is scary bad. I know it was Peyton Manning and their offense is as good as any, but I am sick and tired of our corners giving 10+ yard cushion and the WR stops catches the ball and turns up field and gets 5+ yards. Watching the MNF game and Buffalo's DBs played Edwards and Winslow very well, I was wondering why in the hell we can't cover like that. It's crazy what happens when a corner turns his head and looks back at the ball. So my question is do we fire Richard Smith and all the other Defensive coaches or just Smith and a few coordinators? Is it lack of talent, lack of coaching, or is our secondary on performance detraction drugs?
Let me ask you this. How does a browns defense give up 450 yards of passing and 3 TD's to the Broncos, and then come back and give up 150 yards and get 3 picks? Do you think the coaching suddenly made them better in 1 week? Was it the defense who said enough is enough? Or was it the level of talent between Broncos offense vs. the Bills offense?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #5
BigBull17
Hall of Fame
 
BigBull17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Alvin
Age: 33
Posts: 4,990
Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hoke is a Joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Hoke, Smith, and the rest of the Defensive Staff suck donkey turds, but so does their talent. We need to do a clean sweep through our defensive coaching ranks and get rid of everyone on the defensive coaching staff and i mean EVERYONE. And while we are at it we need to kick Weaver, Greenwood, CCBrown, Harrison, and Travis Johnson to the freaking curb. We need new blood and those guys have all pretty much been failures beside CCBRown but the next time he covers someone will be the first time.

We need to bring in a DC who will have 100% control of the defensive scheme and of the defensive staff that he hires. It's the only way we will get a decent DC and its the only way said DC would have any chance at succeeding and sticking around. We should have hired either of Buddy Ryan's sons last year but we were more than happy to sit through another abortion of a season with Smith at the DC helm. Basically we need the DC to be the head coach of the defense so Gary can concentrate on keeping the offense progressing and finding a QB that can A.) stay healthy and B.) not turn the ball over constantly.

I am pretty much resigned to Kubiak being back in 0-9 due to his 3 game swath of destruction against the mightly Lions, Dolphins, and Bengals....y'know that is the stuff of legend around here, so I will just have to deal with another season with a bad head coach. don't get me wrong, Gary is a good coordinator but he is a horrible and pathetic Head Coach.

2009 here we come!!

Agreed. We need to fire all these ass clowns and start over. If all they do in the offseason is fire Smith and promote Bush, I may freakin puke. No one on this staff deserves the DC gig. If they audition Bush, and it starts to improve, ok. If Smith lasts all year and they promote from within, **** em.
__________________
Ugh, I wish my dog would quit Schaubin in the living room...
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame
 
Carr Bombed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever the US govt. sends me
Posts: 13,472
Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hoke is a Joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Agreed. We need to fire all these ass clowns and start over. If all they do in the offseason is fire Smith and promote Bush, I may freakin puke. No one on this staff deserves the DC gig. If they audition Bush, and it starts to improve, ok. If Smith lasts all year and they promote from within, **** em.
Which is why Smith needs to be fired yesterday, so we can see if somebody on this staff has the ability to step up and light a fire under the defense....

I don't understand why the hell Smith hasn't been fired yet....all we're doing is wasting reps, reps that could be used to evaluate a different coach/different scheme/different talent.

Richard Smith is a complete waste of our time and instead of getting a head start to finding his replacement, for some reason Kubiak/McNair feels it's best to just let him ride out the season.....despite everybody in this town knowing he's a dead man walking.

CAN HIS ASS ALREADY!

A couple of weeks ago I felt we should give Kubiak another chance, but after the Colts game I told myself "If Kubiak doesn't walk to the podium tomorrow and say (thumping a drumline and all) Richard Smith is no longer the defensive coordinator of this team. I'm officially going to put Kubiak on the hot seat".

The longer Smith stays on staff the more credibility Kubaik loses.......it totally reminds me of how Capers' loyalty ended up costing him his job.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 11-18-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #7
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame
 
TexansSeminole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Age: 26
Posts: 8,273
Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hoke is a Joke

I'd like to see us stack the defensive staff with veteran coaches to coach the positions. For example, IMO Rhodes should be our secondary coach, if he would accept. In no way should he be the assistant defensive backs coach. I have had no beef with Hoke, but I think Rhodes is more beneficial to the team. A guy I like is Kevin Steele DC for Alabama. Has coached everywhere including the NFL with the Panthers (and Capers).

We could promote Frank Bush to DC but if we don't I would like to see him coach the linebackers. You can assist the head coach while being coach of the linebackers. Put the best guys where they are best.

Richard Smith may be the main problem. If we can keep some of these good coaches and just adjust their role, we might have something. We still need to bring in new guys.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2008   #8
gtexan02
Working?
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Age: 30
Posts: 15,495
Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hoke is a Joke

Why the love affair with Rhodes? He's been around a while for us now, and our dbacks look worse than ever
__________________
Adios until next season. See you then
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame
 
TexansSeminole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Age: 26
Posts: 8,273
Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hoke is a Joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Why the love affair with Rhodes? He's been around a while for us now, and our dbacks look worse than ever
He came to the staff this year, barely long enough to make an impact when he is standing behind Smith and Hoke.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame
 
Carr Bombed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever the US govt. sends me
Posts: 13,472
Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hoke is a Joke

I think at this point Rhodes is just a name.......he hasn't made a bit of difference this season and whether this is only his first year of not, if he was as great as we try to make him out to be, he would've made some kind of difference.......maybe he just doesn't have the fire anymore.

I'm in the "everybody on the defensive staff MUST GO" camp. Bring in a proven coordinator and let him pick his own staff.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame
 
Second Honeymoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 5,330
Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: Hoke is a Joke

yeah the whole staff pretty much needs to go and there isn't a player on the defense, Mario/Ryans included, that don't need to take a long look in the mirror and ask themselves what more they could do to help the team win football games. We got millionaires all up and down that defensive roster but they play like a bunch of preschoolers on Sunday. Little to no spirit, just enough effort to lose, and in general, just a 'who cares?' attitude. It's hard to watch sometimes without going mad.

I blame the players but its the coaches job to put the right players and develop what they have in order to compete. It's obvious our defensive staff has done a poor job executing a cogent and successful defensive gameplan and they have done a relatively poor job developing and utilizing the young talent that they do have.

You can't just start guys based on how much money they make or when they were drafted. You have to play the players that give you the best chance to win, both now and in the future. A delicate balance, sure...but a good staff can have the wherewithal to get the job done. The job aint getting done so get someone else that can get the job done and just do it now...yesterday even.
__________________
@DougVanHorne on Twitter (CardinalDoug)
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008   #12
BigBull17
Hall of Fame
 
BigBull17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Alvin
Age: 33
Posts: 4,990
Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hoke is a Joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
yeah the whole staff pretty much needs to go and there isn't a player on the defense, Mario/Ryans included, that don't need to take a long look in the mirror and ask themselves what more they could do to help the team win football games. We got millionaires all up and down that defensive roster but they play like a bunch of preschoolers on Sunday. Little to no spirit, just enough effort to lose, and in general, just a 'who cares?' attitude. It's hard to watch sometimes without going mad.

I blame the players but its the coaches job to put the right players and develop what they have in order to compete. It's obvious our defensive staff has done a poor job executing a cogent and successful defensive gameplan and they have done a relatively poor job developing and utilizing the young talent that they do have.

You can't just start guys based on how much money they make or when they were drafted. You have to play the players that give you the best chance to win, both now and in the future. A delicate balance, sure...but a good staff can have the wherewithal to get the job done. The job aint getting done so get someone else that can get the job done and just do it now...yesterday even.
Couldnt agree more. We get beat over and over, yet never adjust to help the guy being beat. The worst thing is when its 3 and 4 and we give 8 yards of cusion. Thats nuts.
__________________
Ugh, I wish my dog would quit Schaubin in the living room...
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger