Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-17-2008   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Defense: The Worst NFL Defense Over the Last 4 Years

Houston Texans defense: The NFL's worst over the last 4 years

You might say whoa, that's not true. And if you only rely on YPG, yes, the Texans haven't been ranked at the bottom of the league each and ever year for the last four years.

Bill Barnwell of Football Outsiders was kind enough to send me a spreadsheet of their proprietary ranks of defensive efficiency. They look at each play and compare them to league averages at similar down and distances. They also factor in strength of opponent.

The numbers are not pretty. Numbers don't play the game, and they are only one evaluation tool, but they basically confirm what you have seen.

And these stats don't even include the close to 30+ point, 500 yard performance that the Colts had.
Old 11-17-2008   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197411 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Defense: The Worst NFL Defense Over the Last 4 Years

Very interesting, TC.

I got my hands on something that may explain it.................the Texans' Playbook.

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #3
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Houston Texans defense: The NFL's worst over the last 4 years

You might say whoa, that's not true. And if you only rely on YPG, yes, the Texans haven't been ranked at the bottom of the league each and ever year for the last four years.

Bill Barnwell of Football Outsiders was kind enough to send me a spreadsheet of their proprietary ranks of defensive efficiency. They look at each play and compare them to league averages at similar down and distances. They also factor in strength of opponent.

The numbers are not pretty. Numbers don't play the game, and they are only one evaluation tool, but they basically confirm what you have seen.

And these stats don't even include the close to 30+ point, 500 yard performance that the Colts had.

Thanks TC for the post and info. Didn't think we were quite that bad but, obviously we are struggling mightily. I have been as disappointed with Richard Smith's defenses as you have been. There seems to be no identity, no fluent game plan, no attack strategy and of course, a lack of talent at several positions. Lack of talent withstanding, this defense has underperformed every year and I believe that our staff has under utilized its talent versus a good staff that gets more out of less talented players. It is past time for a change in DC and philosophy (not that we seem to have one in the first place).
maddogmrb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #4
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Offensive Gameplan: Throw balls at Andre... Throw balls at Andre...
D Gameplan: Mario is a beast... Mario is a beast... Drop Mario into coverage
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #5
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, at least we lead in something!!!!!!!!
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #6
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Soo look at the other teams who are rite there with us, they are all very good teams who have been dominating!

No worries here.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #7
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Offensive Gameplan: Throw balls at Andre... Throw balls at Andre...
D Gameplan: Mario is a beast... Mario is a beast... Drop Mario into coverage
The Texans offensive gameplan is not just throw balls at Andre.

Certainly he is someone you want to get the ball to, but the offensive touches have been spread around a ton, much to the unhappiness of fantasy players tempted to take Texans players.
Old 11-17-2008   #8
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

From the presser today, Kubiak seems pretty clear that he's sticking with the personnel that he has in place. I wonder if that's because of the organizations philosophy to evaluate at the end of the season or if it's because he still believes his defensive coaches are on the right track.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
From the presser today, Kubiak seems pretty clear that he's sticking with the personnel that he has in place. I wonder if that's because of the organizations philosophy to evaluate at the end of the season or if it's because he still believes his defensive coaches are on the right track.
I think that even if Kubiak wanted to run Richard Smith over in his car, he would say supportive stuff publicly in general of his coaching staff. It is not his way to make public tirades.

There's no point in crushing him to the public.
Old 11-17-2008   #10
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think that even if Kubiak wanted to run Richard Smith over in his car, he would say supportive stuff publicly in general of his coaching staff. It is not his way to make public tirades.

It would make me feel better! Besides that warm feeling of vindication, it would also comfort me to know that Kubiak has the ability to assess the glaring problem on this team.

Seriously, though, I think he's encroaching on a dangerous area. He is totally dismissive of any blame being placed on the defensive coaching staff (he'll only refer to the staff as "us" in a very vague way) but he does get a little more specific blaming the players for: missing tackles and bad technique... And, while this isn't exactly throwing them under the bus, it could be seen as that by a bunch of guys who are frustrated with coaches not putting them in a position to succeed... Something to watch the rest of the season for. I did notice a lot more expressed frustration by the defensive players on the field the past two weeks.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

totally agree dalemurphy.

i am sick of our defense and at times our offense playing so damn conservative and afraid to take chances. we are a 3 freakin win team!! what do we have to lose? isn't that one of the benefits of being a crap team? you can do things like go for it on 4th down. When was the last time Kubiak tried a surprise onside kick or a fake punt?

the team needs to come up a hell of a lot more excited as they are one of the flattest teams I watch every Sunday especially the defense. Yeah, they'll dance up a storm against the Bengals and Lions but anytime they face even a halfway decent team, they just punk out and get their arses whooped. just utterly pathetic.

Ya know, watching the Ravens play defense and display intensity play after play really reminded me how soft our defense is. All the defense is is a bunch of gentle giants and nice guys. TJ has a mean streak, but he sucks so hes irrelevant and Dunta isn't 100% so its tough for him to step into that role before he can fix his game and he is a DB for crying out loud.

When a DB is pretty much the only guy who has shown the ability to actually get physical and mix it up, you know your defense is soft. We need someone to lead this defense and to smack the other team in the mouth. I am still so irked we didn't go after Kris Jenkins this offseason. It showed me that the Texans weren't committed to winning and maybe taking a chance or two. Look at all the guys the Jets got? What makes them so freaking special? oh i know, they are actually trying to win a Super Bowl. It sounds crazy, but stranger things have happened and it wouldn't be happening if the Jets Front Office didn't dare to believe and take a chance on some new top dollar players.
Old 11-18-2008   #12
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought about that tonight and with the defense.. and had the same concerns as others about firing a DC right now... my thinking tonight is if you are going to do it, do it now! ...I would think if Frank Bush was to be promoted , you would think he was smart enough not to revamp the whole scheme right now and use what we had and tweaked it for now.. In the offseason (if that who is what we wanted to run it) , then do more... But just give the guys someone to believe in (I may be totally offbase, but not sure if the defense believes (as a whole) on what we are doing) ..
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

This game, the defense preformance was set up way back in August when they Kept the z man, Jeff Zgonina and cut Maddox. Once Travis Johnson went out with the knee it was over. Outside of Mario, they really can't get any pressure with the other six. Bullman and Cockeran are raipidly returning the investment we made in them. But they are stuck on bring heat with just four no matter what the results. What ever effects Zgonina brings to the locker room, we paid for it in spades yesterday in the second half. I understand a new coach trying to win a locker room...but Kubiak's stuborn bowed up neck is killing us with some of these veterans.

I'm still waiting for someone smarter than me to explain the toss sweeps in the first half. There has to be a reason they ran a play so slanted to the colts defense's favor. This is the only line we face that we actually out weigh. Plus the fact that our rookie LT is a mauler. He likes to run block. that's his strength. I mean if they saw something from the Pittsburg game on film, that's one thing...the stadegy in my mind defies all logic. I understand they had a donut going for it on fourth and short. I really do. But come on. If the gaurds & center suck that/this bad, they have to hide them, repalce them.

i don't get it. You'd expect them to put the guys in a positon to succeed , not to fail. One of them to the right on the goal line....Meyers gets a crisp block, Erick gets a knock down block..two guys down, and the defense still ate Slaton up. The play was doomed the moment they called it.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 11-18-2008 at 01:34 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #14
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm telling you it's the scheme. I know we are VERY weak in many positions on the defensive side of the ball. Other teams are not 11 strong on defense. I see guys all the time I've never heard of flying around the field making plays. Our guys don't look like they have a passion like other teams. They are just out there dying a slow death with no sense of urgency. That is on the coaching staff.
Old 11-18-2008   #15
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 6268 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

BY RICHARD SMITH

fixed it
Old 11-18-2008   #16
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, it is what I have been saying for the last five.

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CAN SOMEONE MAKE A STOP ON THIRD DOWN!!!!!!, PLEASE ANYONE!!!! please......."

Its usually followed by a whimper and maybe a tear if no one is around.

This has been our problem even in dc era...our d can not make stops. PERIOD and especially when they need it. when they do they win.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #17
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

This has been hell for me because I love a good defensive team. I like the offense to put up points an all that, but I love it more when the hometown defense just crushes someone.

Guess I'll just have to keep waiting.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #18
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57261 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's one thing to say something like, we're going to assess the job that everyone in the organization has done after the season - blah blah blah.

It quite another to say what I heard him say on the news - we have the right coaches in place, we just have to figure out how to get more out of our players.

It was a complete vote of confidence. Maybe it doesn't mean anything, but it sure didn't make me a happy camper. He doesn't have to throw him under the bus, but he doesn't have to hold his hand over his head and call him champion either.
Old 11-18-2008   #19
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
It's one thing to say something like, we're going to assess the job that everyone in the organization has done after the season - blah blah blah.

It quite another to say what I heard him say on the news - we have the right coaches in place, we just have to figure out how to get more out of our players.

It was a complete vote of confidence. Maybe it doesn't mean anything, but it sure didn't make me a happy camper. He doesn't have to throw him under the bus, but he doesn't have to hold his hand over his head and call him champion either.
What worries me is whether or not this is going to anger the players at all. You know that they know something is wrong. In fact, all we have to do is go back to Dunta's comments a few weeks ago when he said he thought Gary was doing a good job but wouldn't comment on Dick Smith. I am pretty sure that is about how it went. Anyone have the link?

If Kubiak keeps blaming his players for not executing and doesn't hold the coaching staff accountable, then I am all for Kubiak getting the ax.
Old 11-18-2008   #20
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakebomb View Post
I'm telling you it's the scheme. I know we are VERY weak in many positions on the defensive side of the ball. Other teams are not 11 strong on defense. I see guys all the time I've never heard of flying around the field making plays. Our guys don't look like they have a passion like other teams. They are just out there dying a slow death with no sense of urgency. That is on the coaching staff.
i couldn't have put it better. we just flatline through the season and that starts up top. kubiak doesn't show much passion or fire and doesnt get too fired up and it is mirrored in the teams that he prepares for Sunday. The 'no talent' argument is BS imho. There is talent there, its just a horrible scheme and the players are asked to play what I would term 'soft' in both coverage and QB pressure. I just don't see what there is to lose....were 3 and freaking 7. the fanbase isn't happy and heads will roll...doubt its Kubiak this offseason but Smith is as good as gone and Kubiak will be on the hotseat next year.

The only way I see Kubiak getting canned is if they go 3-13 and only beating MIA, CIN, and DET....and I'm not sure that would even get him canned. definitely would make for a hotter seat in 2009 but something tells me McNair is too stubborn and proud to admit failure only 3 years into the 'prodigal' son's return....even if it stared him in the face.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read