Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-17-2008   #1
kcdoubleeagle
Veteran

Rep Power: 474 kcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Matthew Stafford?

It looks like we have a great shot at a high draft pick.....haven't heard many talk about Stafford, but he looks like the real thing. What are your thoughts?
kcdoubleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matthew Stafford?

I think he is a legit top 10 QB. Top pick? Maybe.

The Texans are committed to Matty Schaub for 1 more year with an option after that. Drafting a Round 1 QB this year doesn't give off the impression that you are committed to Schaub.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll take him. Schaub's not that young.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope he is there when we pick.

then we can trade down & get extra picks
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

My top Senior QB for now.

With that said, I wait a year to take my QB early. I play Matt for this last year and either pick up his option for 1 year or bring in a veteran to hold the job for one year. I refuse to throw a QB into the fire after our first debacle.
Old 11-17-2008   #6
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Bradford is a better QB.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Bradford is a better QB.
Agreed.

I think Bradford and Nate Davis are both better.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-17-2008   #8
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1064 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Stafford is not that good guys. He has a Top 10 draft pick at RB and two solid WRs (Green is the second coming of Randy Moss), and he is so inconsistent that it isn't even funny. Bradford should be the only QB taken in the 1st. Anybody else is a serious reach. In my opinion, Jimmy Clausen is the most NFL ready QB in college football. Colt McCoy is the most savvy. Bradford is the most accurate pocket passer. Stafford is without a doubt the most overrated.
Old 11-17-2008   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

You lose all credibility when you say that about Clausen. The kid has unbelievable tools, but he is nowhere close to being ready for the big time. 18 TD - 15 INT against a very weak schedule doesn't look so good.

How is Bradford less ready than Clausen?

How is Nate Davis not worthy of 1st round consideration?

Last edited by bah007; 11-17-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2008   #10
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
Stafford is not that good guys. He has a Top 10 draft pick at RB and two solid WRs (Green is the second coming of Randy Moss), and he is so inconsistent that it isn't even funny. Bradford should be the only QB taken in the 1st. Anybody else is a serious reach. In my opinion, Jimmy Clausen is the most NFL ready QB in college football. Colt McCoy is the most savvy. Bradford is the most accurate pocket passer. Stafford is without a doubt the most overrated.
Tebow and McCoy are the most overrated. Remember even VY was a good passer at UT.
Old 11-17-2008   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Tebow and McCoy are the most overrated. Remember even VY was a good passer at UT.
I wouldn't quite call McCoy overrated.

I don't see him rated very high in too many places.
Old 11-17-2008   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I wouldn't quite call McCoy overrated.

I don't see him rated very high in too many places.
Neither did I until the past few weeks. He was never considered a good NFL prospect and now I've seen him ranked as a 1st rounder.
Old 11-17-2008   #13
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Neither did I until the past few weeks. He was never considered a good NFL prospect and now I've seen him ranked as a 1st rounder.
I would consider 1st round ranking him too high. I haven't seen those anywhere.

McCoy is coming back for his senior season anyway. Tebow should do the same.
Old 11-17-2008   #14
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
I would consider 1st round ranking him too high. I haven't seen those anywhere.

McCoy is coming back for his senior season anyway. Tebow should do the same.
I can't blame McCoy. He'd take a huge pay cut by going to the NFL
Old 11-17-2008   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Wink Re: Matthew Stafford?

Quote:
I can't blame McCoy. He'd take a huge pay cut by going to the NFL
I'm not gonna pretend like that kinda stuff doesn't happen in college football, but I doubt the QB of a 2A high school team had to be persuaded in that way to go to any major university.

Now if we're talkin about Bob Stoops....
Old 11-17-2008   #16
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1064 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You lose all credibility when you say that about Clausen. The kid has unbelievable tools, but he is nowhere close to being ready for the big time. 18 TD - 15 INT against a very weak schedule doesn't look so good.

How is Bradford less ready than Clausen?

How is Nate Davis not worthy of 1st round consideration?
Clausen's numbers don't tell the full tell of his overall ability. He doesn't have enough talent around him. Notre Dame isn't exactly USC. I still believe he is the most NFL ready QB because of the system he runs and the coaching he is getting from Charlie Weis.

I didn't say that Bradford is less ready than Clausen. I do believe that Bradford, along with most top name QBs from the Big 12, will face a tough transition into the NFL because they are all system QBs. The only exclusion is Josh Freeman, who most scouts see as the best pro prospect in the conference. I don't know his numbers, but I'm pretty sure they're not too hot either. The difference is that he runs more of a pro style offense at Kansas State.

As far as Nate Davis, he's put up good numbers. But he'll fall into the same category with Graham Harrell and Tim Tebow as good college system QBs that are not seen as good pro QBs.
Old 11-17-2008   #17
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
I'm not gonna pretend like that kinda stuff doesn't happen in college football, but I doubt the QB of a 2A high school team had to be persuaded in that way to go to any major university.

Now if we're talkin about Bob Stoops....
It always annoys me when people say college athletes should get paid, since the schools are getting rich off of them. The kids at UT are getting around $25,000 a year in tuition, dorms, stipends, and book money. Anyone struggling to pay tuition wouldn't dare call them slaves.
Old 11-17-2008   #18
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It always annoys me when people say college athletes should get paid, since the schools are getting rich off of them. The kids at UT are getting around $25,000 a year in tuition, dorms, stipends, and book money. Anyone struggling to pay tuition wouldn't dare call them slaves.
Amen.
Old 11-17-2008   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
Clausen's numbers don't tell the full tell of his overall ability. He doesn't have enough talent around him. Notre Dame isn't exactly USC. I still believe he is the most NFL ready QB because of the system he runs and the coaching he is getting from Charlie Weis.

Have you seen Golden Tate play? That kid is one of the most physically impressive WR's in the country. Sure, Notre Dame is not a very good team, but it isn't because they don't have talented players. They pull in top 10 recruiting classes every year. The truth is that Weis is an overrated coach who made millions by calling in plays for the best QB in the NFL.

I didn't say that Bradford is less ready than Clausen. I do believe that Bradford, along with most top name QBs from the Big 12, will face a tough transition into the NFL because they are all system QBs. The only exclusion is Josh Freeman, who most scouts see as the best pro prospect in the conference. I don't know his numbers, but I'm pretty sure they're not too hot either. The difference is that he runs more of a pro style offense at Kansas State.

You just said in the above paragraph that you think Clausen is more ready, so I took that to mean Bradford is less ready than Clausen. I don't know what else you could have meant. Bradford still takes a lot of snaps from under center and he knows how to check down to his TE. Just because they throw a lot doesn't mean he should qualify as a "system QB". The main reason scouts are in love with Freeman is because he has ideal size and a cannon arm.

As far as Nate Davis, he's put up good numbers. But he'll fall into the same category with Graham Harrell and Tim Tebow as good college system QBs that are not seen as good pro QBs.

Ball St runs a pro style offense. You should check them out. Nate Davis is the real deal.
Old 11-17-2008   #20
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Remember even VY was a good passer at UT.
He put up good numbers at UT. But most scouts never thought he would be a good passer in the NFL. Colt seems to be a much better prospect when it comes to passing. The only real question mark with Mccoy is his size, Which he's listed a 6'3 but he's probably closer to 6'2 or 6'1. But I agree with you on Tebow.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read