Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Colossal Error by Ref costs us chance to win!

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
No, I'm not exactly referring to the challenge but kind of...

When the receiver was tackled at the 16 yard line there was 3:14 left in the game. Dungy, with red flag in hand, let the clock tick down almost 40 seconds to 2:38 and then threw the flag. After the replacement of the ball, the referees started the game clock again and the Colt let another 25 seconds go off the clock before snapping the ball. So, without running a play, the colts let over one minute of game clock run off and ended any reasonable chance we had to drive down for a TD and a win.

1. How in the world does an official make that kind of error?
2. Why didn't one Texan coach catch the mistake and get it corrected?

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
Because the challenge is like a timeout and the clocks starts on the refs whistle and also the 25 second clock for the team to snap the ball.

RTP2110

All Pro
So Sage's INT would have been with a few more seconds on the clock. The Colts might have had to kneel twice. Damn refs.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Because the challenge is like a timeout and the clocks starts on the refs whistle and also the 25 second clock for the team to snap the ball.
If it's a timeout then the clock doesn't start until the snap... you're wrong. It was a huge mistake. A team shouldn't, under any circumstance, be able to drain over one minute of game clock without running a play.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
If it's a timeout then the clock doesn't start until the snap... you're wrong. It was a huge mistake. A team shouldn't, under any circumstance, be able to drain over one minute of game clock without running a play.
Normally after a challenge the ref says "please reset the game clock to X:xx" Yep , this was an error .....

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Otherwise, the next time we're trying to run out the clock, how about we run a play then let the clock drain down, review the play, and then let the clock run again... We could run off 4 minutes of clock while only running three plays- we would certainly have beaten the Colts in week 4 doing that. We could've kept Detroit to 14 points, etc...

Porky

Hall of Fame
Good point. Didn't really catch that. Not sure it would have mattered with Rosencopter though.

I don't know if anyone else thought this, but there was a Texans catch that they marked short of a first down. I think it was Kevin Walter, and it was in the 3rd qtr I want to say. It looked pretty clear to me that he had crossed the first down line, but they marked it about a half yard short and we punted. Am I the only one who thought that was a first down?

Texan JBZ

Da Sip's Finest
Colossal error by ref costs us a chance to win?!? No, how about the colossal error of putting Petey Faggins on Marvin Harrison, and then giving him a 8 yard cushion on 3rd & 8. Marvin Harrison was killing the Texans all day. So what does our coaching staff decide to do at the most critical juncture in the game - Put Petey "Please Burn Me" Faggins 1-on-1 with Marvin Harrison. I bet Peyton was thinking, "These guys are idiots. Is that really #38 to my right matched up with Marvin? And he's giving him a cushion! Wow, this will be easy. The Texans are a joke!"

spurstexanstros

Texans Rising
Colossal error by ref costs us a chance to win?!? No, how about the colossal error of putting Petey Faggins on Marvin Harrison, and then giving him a 8 yard cushion on 3rd & 8. Marvin Harrison was killing the Texans all day. So what does our coaching staff decide to do at the most critical juncture in the game - Put Petey "Please Burn Me" Faggins 1-on-1 with Marvin Harrison. I bet Peyton was thinking, "These guys are idiots. Is that really #38 to my right matched up with Marvin? And he's giving him a cushion! Wow, this will be easy. The Texans are a joke!"
Best post ever........its what I have been saying..."Big Play Petey" strikes again.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Yup! It was the Ref's fault we lost. :rolleyes:

Next, you'll probably predict winning out and going to the playoffs cuz our team is just so good......Oh wait, you already did didn't you....:thinking:

Yomaine

Practice Squad
Our coaching staff would have never caught it anyway. They are so unprepared. In my opinion they are no better than the staff we had with capers. Prime example how do you go thru a succession of series without Steve Slaton when he has just on the previous drive ran a 71 yard touchdown.

He is well rested because the colts took like 8-12 plays and scored as well. Your starter is ready to come back in then. Ok maybe you give him a few more plays but the whole drive you don't put him back in. Thats beyond insane. Insane gives rational so that was just plain stupid!

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
I'm not sure that the call cost the Texans a win. It certainly made it more difficult.

However, if Dale's observation is correct (and it appears it is), I think we should get him a headset and hack into the Texans comm the next game. At the least the Texans should hire him for a game awareness seminar.

Good observation.

My assumption was that throwing the red flag wasnt actually considered a timout unless the challenge was lost thus losing the timeout. So by going from that, since the challenge was won the clock starts back up with the ref's blow of the whistle. Anyway, Richard Smith is the culprit that cost us the chance to win.

It really sucks too, because I was A Richard Smith "apologist" at the end of last season, claiming that injuries were the primary issue. But it's undeniable at this point that he is the one causing the epic failure of the defense week in and week out. With a generally healthy team our defense is much worse than it was last year. And that is really saying something.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
lol at blaming the refs for this loss...hilarious
1. I blame the Texans' coaching staff for not catching the mistake.

2. I said it "cost us a chance to win the game"... That's not blaming them for the loss. Only, I'm saying that mistake cost us an opportunity to have almost 2 minutes to score at the end of the game.

If I were to prioritize the reasons why we lost yesterday, the inept defense would certainly be #1.

scourge

Digression King
It baffles me why no other fan noticed this huge mistake and why it doesn't seem to bother anyone.
I thought that it was a little odd and mentioned to the people I was bbq'ing with, but still don't think the outcome would have been any different.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
I would say most people dont understand. See my post above.
oh, we understand but most of us don't take one error and say we lost the game because of that. This team has only beaten winless teams and the Dolphins...blaming the refs is weak sauce.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
It baffles me why no other fan noticed this huge mistake and why it doesn't seem to bother anyone.
You're right about the refs mistake.

You're right about the coaches screwing up by not catching it.

You'd be wrong about it costing us a win if that's what you'd said, but it wasn't.

The fact that our defense is beyond putrid, and that Sage may very well have thrown the same interception with more time left on the clock (or after running a few more plays), doesn't make me want to say that it's okay if referee's in our game are not competent.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
You're right about the refs mistake.

You're right about the coaches screwing up by not catching it.

You'd be wrong about it costing us a win if that's what you'd said, but it wasn't.

The fact that our defense is beyond putrid, and that Sage may very well have thrown the same interception with more time left on the clock (or after running a few more plays), doesn't make me want to say that it's okay if referee's in our game are not competent.
letting every team we play score 30+ points cost us the game...as usual.

spurstexanstros

Texans Rising
oh, we understand but most of us don't take one error and say we lost the game because of that. This team has only beaten winless teams and the Dolphins...blaming the refs is weak sauce.
That is why I dont blame sage for this loss....the defense couldnt make any stops until it was too late. Was there a drive in which the Colts didnt score? oh yeah and Jacoby got a good PR into Colts territory and we scored a TD. The lack of making third down stops has been the bain of this team for the last three years.

We should make a sticky of my thread "For the love of God please make a stop on third down" keep track of third down stops and the Texans responding drive.

They dont make stops they dont win..period.

LOL. yeah it is so much so I discounted that all together and went straight to the logic.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I don't think anyone is saying that is the direct reason we lost, only that additonal time might have helped. Perhaps if Sage hadn't have been rushed so much, he makes a better throw there. Who knows, because Sage ALWAYS implodes at the worst possible moment. Of course, as usual we also blew two timeouts like they were candy at halloween, but that is a different story.

Nope, the refs didn't cost us the game for sure, only a little better chance at the end. I THINK that is all Dale was saying, but correct me if I am wrong.

The main reason we lost was the sorry defense that couldn't have sacked my Grandmother, or covered my Grandfather....and neither is living. :gun:

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
I was just angry at the blatant holding that was going on for I believe Tim Bullman or Robinson, they don't call that but call the pass interference on Petey.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
I don't think anyone is saying that is the direct reason we lost, only that additonal time might have helped. Perhaps if Sage hadn't have been rushed so much, he makes a better throw there. Who knows, because Sage ALWAYS implodes at the worst possible moment. Of course, as usual we also blew two timeouts like they were candy at halloween, but that is a different story.

Nope, the refs didn't cost us the game for sure, only a little better chance at the end. I THINK that is all Dale was saying, but correct me if I am wrong.

The main reason we lost was the sorry defense that couldn't have sacked my Grandmother, or covered my Grandfather....and neither is living. :gun:
Its like if the Astros lose a game 17-16 and we blame an umpire for a blown call in the 9th inning to lose the game as if giving up 17 points wasn't the real reason you lose.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
What did it matter?So Sage would have thrown an interception 25 seconds earlier?Bad by the refs but nothing that bothers me because there is so much more to deal with.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Its like if the Astros lose a game 17-16 and we blame an umpire for a blown call in the 9th inning to lose the game as if giving up 17 points wasn't the real reason you lose.
Please stop misrepresenting my point. For the 4th time, I don't blame the referees for anything more than failing miserably to do their job. I blame the Texan coaching staff for a huge oversight. If either of those groups would've had the awareness that I had, the final drive would've had much more potential.

All of that has nothing to do with how pitiful the defense played. Nobody is blaming a third party for the loss- only for a final opportunity to win the game.

barrett

All Pro
I see your point perfectly.

We suck.

go Texans.

by the way, my post about the new Era of Texans football is still correct. Think about how this would have been a moral victory three years ago...

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Please stop misrepresenting my point. For the 4th time, I don't blame the referees for anything more than failing miserably to do their job. I blame the Texan coaching staff for a huge oversight. If either of those groups would've had the awareness that I had, the final drive would've had much more potential.

All of that has nothing to do with how pitiful the defense played. Nobody is blaming a third party for the loss- only for a final opportunity to win the game.
fine, just count me out on the lets find someone to blame other than us game.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
you clarified it...just count me out of the crowd that points to others when losing.
That make sense. After all, if the defense plays poorly then there is no reason for the officials to do their job nor any reason for the coaches to pay attention to clock management and silly details like that!

1. Everyone should be disgusted by the defensive performance.

2. Everyone should be appalled that half a minute was incorrectly removed from the clock at the end of an undecided game- and nobody caught it.

Why can't you people see that those are two statements that can co-exist in the affirmative? If you simply don't care about clocks running and coaches unable to manage such things, then don't post on this thread.... Go to the Fire Richard Smith thread and illuminate everyone some more on how bad he is. I've been preaching that for 2 years and am interested in some subjects slightly less explored.

Reactions: ATX

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
Why you sorry individuals. Looking at the whole team versus only the W or L is not allowed. It is either the refs fault or all Kubiak's fault. Never ever look at all aspects of the game or the team. Reasoning is what intelligent folks do.

Wolf

100% Texan
I didn't read the thread, I will say in every game there are bad calls on both sides. my theory is every team knows that is going to happen, good teams overcome it and move on, they overcome it and beat it.. you don't let the other team beat you and you esp don't give a ref a chance to beat you.

In any sport.

Wolf

100% Texan
If a team is relying on breaks from the ref to win.. well they aren't playing to win, they are playing not to lose