Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-16-2008   #1
TexansFan33
DW33

Rep Power: 8 TexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default It's Time to Think Draft / Plans for 2009

I'm a texans fan... The past few week have led me to believe were not making any progress this season. So as of 11/16/08 im declaring our season OFICALLY OVER/DEAD. We really need to make some major moves:

Our Defensive coordinator has to GO, we need someone in there thats young with new strategies. Cuz we all know that everyone is tired of the texans lining up our corners 1 on 1 and getting toasted week after week. I liked what i saw in Adibi today vs he colts in his first ever start i think our likebacking core needs one more playmaker we can adress that via FA.

Ahman Green as much as i liked him when he was in GB plain and simple he doesn't have anything left in the tank and he knew that before he signed that Free Agent Contract 2 years ago. Anthony Weaver well I really dont have much to say about you other than... GET OFF THE TEAM YOUR TERRIBLE.

I wanna see dunta robinson next year I think he will be much improved coming off that knee injury. Molden, Bennet, and Reeves are all works in progress so im not giving up on them yet.

OUR DRAFT NEED TO GO LIKE THIS:

round 1)DE/Saftey (potential 1 picks:S Taylor Mays, DE Michael Johnson,S William Moore, DE Greg Selvie Orakpo is overreated to me
round 2)Saftey/Corner
round 3)OLB
round 4)Guard/Center
round 5)WR

Well tell me what you think...
TexansFan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #2
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: It's Time to Think Draft / Plans for 2009

I see an April draft very heavy on Defense. I would not be surprised if the first 3 of 4 picks are on defense.
Old 11-16-2008   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Well, I think we all agree that the DC has to go. Personally, I think we need a QB. Schaub might be coachable, and he might stay on the field and perform like we know he can, but I'd feel better if they took a QB int he 2nd or 3rd round and started grooming him.

We need a CB or three. We need a safety, maybe two. We need an OLB, maybe two. We need a DT. We need a DE. We need a RG. We need a C.

How many is that so far?
Old 11-16-2008   #4
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Orakpo is overrated to me
The guy is 6' 4" , 265 pounds....long arms , big hands, and stays on the feid until he is barfing up body parts. When he hits the field his team mates get sky high just for the fact that he is on the field. The guy is a natural leader. Yeah you're correct the guy is real shaky.
Old 11-16-2008   #5
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

If you like missed tackles you should love Adibi. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what you liked about him.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #6
TexansFan33
DW33

Rep Power: 8 TexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I'm sorry Orakpo was invisible at that Texas Tech game. Personally Im more sold on Michael Johnson out of Georgia Tech
Old 11-16-2008   #7
PhilpW
Irish-American

Rep Power: 349 PhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respected

We will draft a project, all pundits will laugh, Mel will say this is why Houston lives in the cellar in the AFC South, the fans will bitc&. blah, blah, blah
PhilpW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2008   #8
TexansFan33
DW33

Check this Link out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeXIeW1KOyY

One of the most versatile DE's i've ever seen a smart kid with alot of upside. Plus he is an absolute monster.

Last edited by TexansFan33; 11-16-2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: added link
Old 11-16-2008   #9
DeepSteelBlue
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilpW View Post
We will draft a project, all pundits will laugh, Mel will say this is why Houston lives in the cellar in the AFC South, the fans will bitc&. blah, blah, blah
Texans coaches love projects... ugh
DeepSteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #10
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjmac2 View Post
I see an April draft very heavy on Defense. I would not be surprised if the first 3 of 4 picks are on defense.
It will be a good draft for it. Shaping up to be heavy in DE/LB.

Now if we can get someone to call the D that has a working knowledge of defensive strategy.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #11
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117888 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFan33 View Post
I'm sorry Orakpo was invisible at that Texas Tech game. Personally Im more sold on Michael Johnson out of Georgia Tech
He was doing great until he got hurt. Orakpo getting hurt single-handedly lost the game for UT

Michael Johnson has done nothing in college at all. His numbers are terrible and he is a weight room guy, not a football player
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109412 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFan33 View Post
Sometimes you can't measure a defensive player's impact by looking at the box score.

He was THE ONLY Texas player that was putting consistent pressure on Harrell.

Funny how you say that Orakpo is overrated at the same time you list Johnson as one of the guys you want.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I can see our DC leaving.

1st round- I can't see us going safety unless we trade down. If we stay in the top 10 where we'll be picking, CB Vontae Davis could be a great pick.

2nd round- I think one of the top safeties may fall or a highly rated linebacker. If Brandon Spikes slips to the 2nd round, I'd like us to look at him.

3rd round- maybe a safety like the Chung guy from Oregon or Pegues from Miss. St.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109412 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I can see our DC leaving.

1st round- I can't see us going safety unless we trade down. If we stay in the top 10 where we'll be picking, CB Vontae Davis could be a great pick.

2nd round- I think one of the top safeties may fall or a highly rated linebacker. If Brandon Spikes slips to the 2nd round, I'd like us to look at him.

3rd round- maybe a safety like the Chung guy from Oregon or Pegues from Miss. St.
All excellent players.

I would love it.
Old 11-16-2008   #15
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I say we draft another offensive lineman. It's hard to win with constant pressure on the QB.
Old 11-16-2008   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
I say we draft another offensive lineman. It's hard to win with constant pressure on the QB.
We are #11 in scoring offense at 23.6

We are #30 in scoring defense at 28.7

Not saying we can't draft an o-lineman.

But our main priority should be defense.
Old 11-17-2008   #17
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
If you like missed tackles you should love Adibi. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what you liked about him.
What are you talking about? I heard Adibis name more times today than I have heard Greewoods name all year. Im not sure what you were expecting but hey it was his first real start at this level and he was very active and around the ball alot more than any OLB this team has had in awhile.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

My draft:

Round 1: Aaron Curry, LB Wake Forest. I'd plug in Aaron Curry at my SLB spot. Diles would be my backup SLB. I'd have Bentley and Adibi splitting reps at WLB.

Round 2: Emanuel Cook, SS South Carolina. 5'10" 212 Versatile safety. Makes plays all over the field. Can blitz, can cover, can tackle. Better than any safety we have ever had.

Round 3: James Davis, RB Clemson. Can work between the tackles and has speed.

Round 4: Sergio Render, RG Virginia Tech. 6'3" 308. Was on the freshman and sophomore All-American teams last two years. Has been playing well this season.

Round 5: Cullen Harper, QB Clemson. 6'4" 220. 2991 yards 27 TDs and only 6 INTs last year. This year he has 2075 yards 10 TDs 12 INTs. This year hasn't been very good, but he is worth taking a shot on at the top of the 5th.

Round 6 and 7: Go for DT, DE, or a Punter. Need to replace Turk.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
We are #11 in scoring offense at 23.6

We are #30 in scoring defense at 28.7

Not saying we can't draft an o-lineman.

But our main priority should be defense.
Dissagree! Our main priority should be to fix both lines by taking the best big uglys available to us whether theyre on the OL or the DL. This organizations biggest flaw was not taking care of this right of the bat. It should of been the #1 priority and stayed the #1 priority until it was taken care of. Name me one team taht has ever won anything with an average OL or DL. They both have to be good or one has to dominate its side enough to cover for weaker sides deficeincies.

Our OL is average at best. I dont care about stats. I care about performance at critical times of the game. Thats how an offense needs to be judged. How well they play when its most important. We get physically pushed around when we cant afford too. Thats not coaching thats being out talented. To become what we all want us to become we need to keep building both lines until they become our strength and our identity. Until this happens we will be right were we are right now.

Stienkular, Munchak, Mathews How many OL did the Oilers draft in the first round? They fixed their OL and they were contendars for years.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #20
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
What are you talking about? I heard Adibis name more times today than I have heard Greewoods name all year. Im not sure what you were expecting but hey it was his first real start at this level and he was very active and around the ball alot more than any OLB this team has had in awhile.
He had a ton of missed tackles. The fact that Greenwood is a bad player is irrelevent to the fact that Adibi missed too many tackles.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read