Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-16-2008   #1
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Steve Slaton

I'm not Mr. Sunshine, but I definitely must say Mr. Slaton looked fresh and very very good. Thoughts?
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steve Slaton

Steve "Dead Legs" Slaton had a pretty decent day.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I wonder if he'll get 10 carries next week?

He looked very good today.
Old 11-16-2008   #4
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If on only 14 attempts for 156 yards and a TD is "decent" I want to see what you think is spectacular.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
If on only 14 attempts for 156 yards and a TD is "decent" I want to see what you think is spectacular.
Surely you caught the sarcasm there....

I thought it was too obvious to need the sarcasm smiley.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #6
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

The running game was so beautiful today, too bad the Colts controlled the time of possession or we could have wracked up some serious records.
Old 11-16-2008   #7
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Good game for Slaton. He's got 701 yards on 138 carries and 6 TDs. Remember that 71 yard TD run is the longest TD run in Texans history. He also has 32 receptions for 198 yards and a TD catch this season.

This guy has proven to be the steal of our draft, and perhaps the entire draft. He should get serious consideration for offensive rookie of the year if he keeps this level of play up.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2008   #8
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Surely you caught the sarcasm there....

I thought it was too obvious to need the sarcasm smiley.
There are so many trolls, that it's sometimes hard to tell.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #9
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
There are so many trolls, that it's sometimes hard to tell.
He wont. He is not even the most impressive looking back. That goes to the Tacks Johnson.

I believe ROY will be Atlanta QB Matt Ryan or Balti QB Joe Flaco.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
He wont. He is not even the most impressive looking back. That goes to the Tacks Johnson.

I believe ROY will be Atlanta QB Matt Ryan or Balti QB Joe Flaco.
I dunno, I think Slaton is just as impressive as Johnson.

QBs always get the awards. I suppose Matt Ryan deserves some love.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I dunno, I think Slaton is just as impressive as Johnson.
Slaton won't win OROY missing large parts of games to stay fresh.
Old 11-16-2008   #12
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

ryan has that award locked up. slaton has exceeded expectations.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
The running game was so beautiful today, too bad the Colts controlled the time of possession or we could have wracked up some serious records.
How does that work exactly? If the running game was "so beautiful" then how did the Colts manage to control the TOP?

It seems to me like something doesn't add up....

Oh yeah, we don't have a defense!
Old 11-16-2008   #14
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

LOL at the poll on HT.com front page...
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #15
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

Numbers wise, Johnson's the only rookie running back ahead of Slaton. Slaton's a first round talent we got in the third.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't buy the "dead legs" bullship....Slaton had a huge run last week when he was so disabled that Kubiak had to "save" him for the Colts. It's just a copout for abandoning the running game the last couple of games as far as I'm concerned. Today the Texans did the same exact thing till drive 3 and then Kubiak finally snapped that you have to actually run the ball to be successful running the ball.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I don't buy the "dead legs" bullship....Slaton had a huge run last week when he was so disabled that Kubiak had to "save" him for the Colts. It's just a copout for abandoning the running game the last couple of games as far as I'm concerned. Today the Texans did the same exact thing till drive 3 and then Kubiak finally snapped that you have to actually run the ball to be successful running the ball.

I'm starting to think that Kubiak is maybe not up to the mental side of being an NFL head coach (and not going to get there). I think that in football, at each level of the game where coaching staffs are concerned you have guys who can coach and guys who still need a little coaching themselves.

I'm afraid Gary Kubiak falls into the latter category. He's not head coach material no matter how much we want to believe he is.
Old 11-16-2008   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm starting to think that Kubiak is maybe not up to the mental side of being an NFL head coach (and not going to get there). I think that in football, at each level of the game where coaching staffs are concerned you have guys who can coach and guys who still need a little coaching themselves.

I'm afraid Gary Kubiak falls into the latter category. He's not head coach material no matter how much we want to believe he is.
Kubiak promoted to Head Coach is what the peter principle is all about.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #19
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

He doesn't seem to be able to get a handle on this playcalling thing. He goes into panic mode, and hands the ball to interception prone QBs as if he was still dealing with Elway. He loses all ability to think rationally. I thought he would get better as the years went by - but he hasn't. Learning from mistakes isn't one of Kubiak's strong suits.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffi2 View Post
He doesn't seem to be able to get a handle on this playcalling thing. He goes into panic mode, and hands the ball to interception prone QBs as if he was still dealing with Elway. He loses all ability to think rationally. I thought he would get better as the years went by - but he hasn't. Learning from mistakes isn't one of Kubiak's strong suits.
He has taken on the appearance of a man who looked great because he coached players who were going to be great regardless hasn't he? He runs crap out there like he's got a miracle maker under center who can make it work and I'm thinking that he doesn't understand why it isn't just clicking along like it always did before.

He may just resign on us if this year gets bad enough or McNair might pull the plug on him if he spends too many more weeks looking like he can't figure it out.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read