Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-16-2008   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Defense today's scapegoat...

Had we just held up on 1 or 2 of those 3rd AND LONGS we would've seen Sage handing it off to Slaton and Green the rest of the game on easy street heading for victory.
Old 11-16-2008   #2
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: Defense today's scapegoat...

My thoughts exactly. The offense had a solid day, but the defense was on the field the whole game, so they had no chance.
Old 11-16-2008   #3
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Except for some notable exceptions (turn overs), our offense has been pretty darn good all season. The defense on the otherhand.............

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #4
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Richard Smith strikes again...........
Old 11-16-2008   #5
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Petey gets beat over and over, Reeves never looks back for the ball. It sounds like a broken record week after week. Damn it Dick if we all see it why can't you.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Colts averaged about 310 per game before today.

I think they had over 450 against us.

If they don't have the six dropped passes in the first half they blow us out.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #7
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
Petey gets beat over and over, Reeves never looks back for the ball. It sounds like a broken record week after week. Damn it Dick if we all see it why can't you.
Ive been a huge Fred Bennett supporter and I still am but he had a terrible game today as well. None of the corners did anything and the LBers didnt cover today either. Two plays that stick out from that standpoint are Addai's TD catch against DeMeco and the little screen on about 3rd and 14 that went for a first. Terrible.
Old 11-16-2008   #8
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Colts averaged about 310 per game before today.

I think they had over 450 against us.

If they don't have the six dropped passes in the first half they blow us out.
Exactly right on the dropped passes. What are the odds the coaches own up to that though? I think we will hear something along the lines of how we held them in the first half and then didnt get it done in the 2nd.
Old 11-16-2008   #9
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Had we just held up on 1 or 2 of those 3rd AND LONGS we would've seen Sage handing it off to Slaton and Green the rest of the game on easy street heading for victory.
I think Peyton remembered Petey Faggins was covering marvin Harriosn...game over.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #10
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
I think Peyton remembered Petey Faggins was covering marvin Harriosn...game over.
I just don't understand these coaching decisions. They had Petey covering Calvin Johnson in the Detroit game too, and that almost ended up in disaster.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Ive been a huge Fred Bennett supporter and I still am but he had a terrible game today as well.
Bennett has not played as well as he did last season. Same can be said of Okoye. This coaching staff does not develop defensive players. Guys like Bennett, Okoye, and Travis Johnson have regressed as players, the more they've been exposed to this staff. I would suggest that Mario's success has come from his amazing physical gifts.

Other than LB coach Johnny Holland, the defensive assistants are worthless. If Kubiak somehow survives to as head coach in '09, Holland should be retained. If not promoted. I doubt a lame duck Kubiak could do better than Holland this offseason.
Old 11-16-2008   #12
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

The defense is this season's scapegoat. They can't freaking make a stop when they need one all freaking year long. 3rd and longs, they haven't stopped a 4th down play all year, 96 yard passes, it just doesn't matter.

This defense stinks. They're predictable, they're bland, they have no pre-snap movement, they don't make adjustments, they can't make stops when they need them, and all of that falls on the guy running it.

IT'S TIME TO MAKE THE CHANGE NOW!!!!!

GET RID OF SMITH...PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #13
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

mario and demeco are the only guys we have on defense. everyone else sucks. we need to overhaul the D through the draft and free agency this offseason. i now believe that our DC is trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit! it's not his fault we send him to a gun fight with a slice of bread.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

This season our opponents have scored 38, 31, 30, 31, 28, 21, 6, 28, 41, and 33 points. We are one fluke day against Cincinnati from giving away 30+ points per game. Seriously, if we take that one weird day where we allowed 6 points out and put in an average 28.7 point day then we would be allowing 30.9 points per game.

I don't know how anyone can justify that. If I were Richard Smith I'd be submitting my resignation at the end of the season out of a sense of shame for my failure. If I were a player on that defense I'd be sick to my stomach all week thinking about how much we suck and spend my every waking minute trying to correct it.

If Bob McNair retains this staff in its entirety following this season (and I'm speaking mostly to the defensive side of the ball) then I don't see how anyone can question the statement that the Texans are clearly the AFC's version of the Detroit Lions and owned by a man whose too stupid to fix his broken team. He'll basically become the one kind of owner who has a good shot at being worse than Bud Adams. That kind of owner is "incompetent". You can be an asshat. You can be stingy and get away with it if you're also shrewd. You can even be crazy and sport a Super Bowl ring or two if you earn them before you also get senile. You can do all of those things and still own a team that's loved and at least part of the time wins or "has won". What you can't do is be incompetent and that's what Bob McNair will prove he is if he doesn't fix this before next year.
Old 11-16-2008   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Bennett has not played as well as he did last season. Same can be said of Okoye. This coaching staff does not develop defensive players. Guys like Bennett, Okoye, and Travis Johnson have regressed as players, the more they've been exposed to this staff. I would suggest that Mario's success has come from his amazing physical gifts.

Other than LB coach Johnny Holland, the defensive assistants are worthless. If Kubiak somehow survives to as head coach in '09, Holland should be retained. If not promoted. I doubt a lame duck Kubiak could do better than Holland this offseason.

I agree with all you said. But I would like to take it one step further going as far to say that they haven't "developed" Mario either. If you watch the games carefully......especially this game, you will notice that when Mario rushes, it's ALWAYS to the outside in a big circle, trying to get to the QB from behind. He never rushes to the inside of the OT. When's the last time you saw Mario even twist to the inside. Don't think that good coaches and QBs have not picked this up on game film. With the lack of pressure never coming from any one else up the middle, the QB simply takes a step or 2 forward in the pocket, and automatically is out of Mario's reach. The coaches have not developed variations to Mario's one dimensional theme. Again, LUCKY, as you said, there is lack of development on the D side of the ball.............but I see NO EXCEPTIONS.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #16
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

We just got owned in the interior of our defense today. Except for Mario no one did anything. The lack of speed from our linebackers and our inept secondary it's just too many holes to cover up. Hopefully in the offseason we'll get rid of some of these guys and get some speed on our defense.
Old 11-16-2008   #17
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

hard to play defense when you don't have guys to play defense
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #18
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1064 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
hard to play defense when you don't have guys to play defense
??? There are teams out there with talent worse than the Texans that get more out of their players, say Atlanta and Miami. It isn't the players fault that they are thrust into inopportune positions. It's not the Petey's fault that they are consistently run on the field together. That's a coaching decision.
Old 11-16-2008   #19
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

I personally think that while our defense didn't play well this game isn't on them. We're playing Peyton Manning, he always lights our defense up; they played respectably considering how they've done in the past. If anyone is a scapegoat this week it's Sage (again). All he has to do is play smart football and we likely could/would have been fine in that 2-minute drill. That's my thoughts, at least.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #20
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

The Dline outside of Mario needs to stop trying to get to QBs like Manning and work on putting up their hands. How many deflected passes have we had this year? None come to mind.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read