Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-16-2008   #1
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109198 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default So... Terrance Cody or Brian Orakpo?

The Texans current D-Line is possibly the worst in the NFL, though the linebackers are pretty much pants as well.

So, do you want a big space eater or a manster at DE?
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #2
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So... Terrance Cody or Brian Orakpo?

Sure, the Texans can be just like the Detroit Lions that draft WRs every season with their 1st round pick, except the Texans are doing that with defensive linemen.

3 out of the last 4 seasons they have went defensive line. Maybe the talent is there but the coaching isn't. I think the Texans have a lot more pressing needs than defensive line.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Clearly we can't develop DL or we can't coach them. Its time to look elsewhere
Old 11-16-2008   #4
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109198 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Sure, the Texans can be just like the Detroit Lions that draft WRs every season with their 1st round pick, except the Texans are doing that with defensive linemen.

3 out of the last 4 seasons they have went defensive line. Maybe the talent is there but the coaching isn't. I think the Texans have a lot more pressing needs than defensive line.
TJ is a bust and AO really had no business going in the first round to begin with. Its a combination of idiotic drafting and idiotic coaching
Old 11-16-2008   #5
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14619 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cut TJ and Weaver soon as the season is over.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Given the choice I would take Orapko

I really want Curry
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #7
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Between those two it's Cody and it's not even close.

But, for me, it's between Cody and a LB - whoever the top graded LB turns out to be.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2008   #8
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Orapko for sure as we need more pass rush then anything and with the right DC we could be moving in Big Biscuit aka Frank Okam in and out at NT/DE. I dont think it is the players as it is the coaching of the dline, even though some people do need to go.
Old 11-16-2008   #9
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 77683 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Orakpo / Williams would be killing opposing QB's for years. Then I would look for that big boy for the middle in the second.

Considering we are going to be drafting top 5 in every round we should have some talent on that side of the ball.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #10
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57076 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Why would we want somebody who's name is the way we've played the last 7 years (Okrapo)?
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #11
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I would really love for us to get one of those really great linebackers like Malauga(sp?) in a Texans uni next year. Our linebackers don't have enough speed to cause any kind of havoc in the run or pass game.
Old 11-16-2008   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the ceiling for Cody is really, really high. I like Orakpo but as physical specimens go he's not head & shoulders above the talent he'll face on Sundays. Cody on the other hand is that specimen who stands out above the rest. He also can be a dominate 4-3 DT or a 3-4 NT that gives you flexability & versatility. The defensive line performance has been dissapointing because they're physically overmatched inside the tackles, leaving Mario chasing down the play from the backside.

I also like having two Alabama defensive (DeMeco/Cody) stars playing for the Texans, although most here would prefer two Longhorns (Okam/Orakpo).
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
the ceiling for Cody is really, really high. I like Orakpo but as physical specimens go he's not head & shoulders above the talent he'll face on Sundays. Cody on the other hand is that specimen who stands out above the rest. He also can be a dominate 4-3 DT or a 3-4 NT that gives you flexability & versatility. The defensive line performance has been dissapointing because they're physically overmatched inside the tackles, leaving Mario chasing down the play from the backside.

I also like having two Alabama defensive (DeMeco/Cody) stars playing for the Texans, although most here would prefer two Longhorns (Okam/Orakpo).
I have changed my mind.

I would take Cody

We coud draft a Brown or English in the 2nd rd.

Why didn't I see Molden today?

I wasn't like the quartet of DR, Reeves, Bennett & Petey were doing a good job.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91623 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

Even as a major UT fan, I couldn't care less where the kids come from.

The Texans just need to get some more talent on defense.

If that means they want Orakpo, then Orakpo it is.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #15
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Orakpo/Cody in first
and
Cushing/Selvie in the second would be gold, in whatever combonation
Old 11-16-2008   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I love them both. For this team, I would take Cody.
Old 11-16-2008   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Even as a major UT fan, I couldn't care less where the kids come from.
its probably best to stay detached, still if I'm seeking defensive playmakers with the skill set to succeed in the NFL the first place I'm looking is the SEC, thats not a knock on the BIG 12 its a testamont to the speed, agility & size it takes to play defense & stop those power running attacks. A player like DeMeco gets kinda lost in the shuffle because of the talent level he is surrounded by or the system he played in, Alabama has always been known for its defensive run stopping ability so if the Texans are after a system to cherry pick from with proven success in the past why not pluck another cherry off the tree?
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUE3Ys-qf6M

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Orakpo/Cody in first
and
Cushing/Selvie in the second would be gold, in whatever combonation
Cody and Suggs in FA or Orakpo and Haynesworth in FA? I will wet my pants with either. Then use our second to pick the best interior OL available. Ill take Max Unger in the 2nd round. I want our trenches fixed once and forall. It wont make a difference what playmakers we have if our base is weak. FIx it at all cost and lets move on already. Once we get the trenches settled everything else will fall into place. We will be consistantly good instead of consistanly bad. Its just the way it works. And we are going too be bad until we realize that.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #20
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i know little about orakpo and almost nothing about cody, but for this team i'd take the monster DT ahead of a pass rushing DE. we have almost no ability to crash the pocket and without that it hardly matters what the DE's are capable of. just look at what manning could do, drop back 3 steps and stand there all day. unless we're positive that okam's going to develope into that guy, we need to make a commitment to find that space eater to anchor our defense.

personally i dont care about the lions references though, if we draft offensive/defensive linemen in the first round for the next 10 years it wouldnt hurt my feelings.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read