Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-16-2008   #41
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chronicles Justice "quantifies" size of Smith & Kubiaks FA mistakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I've noticed that seems to happen when he gets faked a little. Reeves has mad catch-up speed. If he would JUST stop worrying about losing the receiver and look for the ball (because this guy can catch back up anyway), he would be great (at least in pass coverage). It would make a HUGE difference for him and this team.

Can't SOMEBODY get that idea into his thick skull?
Probably not. The ability to turn at the proper time is largely dependant on knowing when a player is making a subtile move to go for the ball. In a way, it has to be a "natural" ability because the split second it takes to process, "oh yeah he just slowed slightly" or "he just tilted his head" and coach told me to turn my head when that happens, is going to yield what you see from Reeves now.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #42
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

He usually doesn't turn his head at all, because he's so close to the receiver that he's afraid he'll run right into him. I mean he's closer to the receiver than the receiver's shadow.

I saw Reeves make a great play on a long throw to the endzone line, because he was so far from the receiver (for once) that he actually looked for the ball. The closing speed he showed was awesome. I'm just saying he needs to lay back just a little and start looking a little earlier than he "thinks" he should. Kinda like a batter that needs to start swinging a little earlier, because he's hitting everything foul down the right field line.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #43
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

And on a side note, how many draft picks have we squandered.....

Babin
Puchannon

Schaub (to be determined)

But I hate watching this guy fall down, he looks like a scarecrow full of bowling balls.
Old 11-16-2008   #44
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
RJ writing crap

Say it aint so

He needs to stick to baseball

Its been very good to him
He's being good cop this week. He just doesn't get it. We hate his guts today. We hate his guts tomorrow. We're all waiting for the obituary or news story he died on the toilet, wearing a dress. With the gerbil struggling to get out.

You can look it up if you want....I said it was a bad idea to sign a thirty something RB at the time. Now y'all know why.
Old 11-16-2008   #45
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
And on a side note, how many draft picks have we squandered.....

Babin
Puchannon

Schaub (to be determined)

But I hate watching this guy fall down, he looks like a scarecrow full of bowling balls.
Do traded picks count ?

Travis Johnson.....Phillip Buchanan... Tony Hollings.
Old 11-16-2008   #46
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He usually doesn't turn his head at all, because he's so close to the receiver that he's afraid he'll run right into him. I mean he's closer to the receiver than the receiver's shadow.

I saw Reeves make a great play on a long throw to the endzone line, because he was so far from the receiver (for once) that he actually looked for the ball. The closing speed he showed was awesome. I'm just saying he needs to lay back just a little and start looking a little earlier than he "thinks" he should. Kinda like a batter that needs to start swinging a little earlier, because he's hitting everything foul down the right field line.
What do they call that little thingy that they make the new band guys use to keep rhythm. metronome. They need to tie a metronome to the guys back when he practices. No doubt about his speed. The guy has no sense of rhythm. Tick -tock. Tick -tock.
Old 11-16-2008   #47
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Do traded picks count ?

Travis Johnson.....Phillip Buchanan... Tony Hollings.
yeah, they count.

That's what I was getting at really, just didn't want to delve into the details.

I didn't want to start drinking this early.
Old 11-16-2008   #48
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I think our new policy should be that we only get new players through the draft. And if we're going to trade players away, it should be for draft picks. We seem to have better results with draft picks than we do with free agency / trades.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #49
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Why is Roosevelt Colvin thought of as a bad signing?
Well, it's two-fold for me. First of all, they gave $1M in guaranteed money to a guy that didn't make the team. That is a complete waste of a million bucks. Now, a million bucks isn't going to matter much, so whatever. But that brings me to my 2nd point, which is we seem to sign guys that the former team knows are spent and know better than to sign. Examples include Jacques Reeves, Jordan Black, Mike Flanagan, Chris Myers, and Buchanon via trade. I'm probably missing a couple as well. Some of these guys don't generate much interest around the league, so the indicators are there.

Furthermore, these players take away reps from guys that might turn into contributors. I would much rather have seen Adibi or Bentley getting those reps in TC.

So the million bucks is not as big a deal as the trend.
Old 11-16-2008   #50
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've noticed that seems to happen when he gets faked a little. Reeves has mad catch-up speed. If he would JUST stop worrying about losing the receiver and look for the ball (because this guy can catch back up anyway), he would be great (at least in pass coverage). It would make a HUGE difference for him and this team.

Can't SOMEBODY get that idea into his thick skull?
I wouldn't be so hard on Reeves just yet. Yes, it's frustrating seeing him get burned, but we have to take into consideration that this is his first year as a starter. Not knowing what the coaches are telling him to do, I could speculate that they're telling him to stick to his guy like glue, which is what he's doing.

With Rhodes working with him, I do expect to see his early inability to locate the ball to be corrected as the season wears on. As some have alluded to, Reeves might not be an instinctive player, but he can be taught to look for signs that a receiver is making a move on the ball. That's just a matter of studying game film on your upcoming opponents & learning their habits.

Right now Reeves has a reputation around the league of not being able to locate the ball, but I'd be willing to bet you that most DC's are watching very closely to see when he starts correcting that problem. When that happens, Bennett better get ready for a lot more action on his side of the ball.

One last thing. As for how much we paid to sign Reeves, if he turns into a shutdown CB, will we have paid too much or gotten a real sweet deal?

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #51
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 122673 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I think our new policy should be that we only get new players through the draft. And if we're going to trade players away, it should be for draft picks. We seem to have better results with draft picks than we do with free agency / trades.
I believe our policy should be

Fire Bobby Greir & hire someone who has a clue to perform his duties.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #52
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Well, it's two-fold for me. First of all, they gave $1M in guaranteed money to a guy that didn't make the team. That is a complete waste of a million bucks. Now, a million bucks isn't going to matter much, so whatever. But that brings me to my 2nd point, which is we seem to sign guys that the former team knows are spent and know better than to sign. Examples include Jacques Reeves, Jordan Black, Mike Flanagan, Chris Myers, and Buchanon via trade. I'm probably missing a couple as well. Some of these guys don't generate much interest around the league, so the indicators are there.

Furthermore, these players take away reps from guys that might turn into contributors. I would much rather have seen Adibi or Bentley getting those reps in TC.

So the million bucks is not as big a deal as the trend.
I would not list Meyers just yet but he is close. Flanagan, I understood why they did it (familiarity), it just did not work. Black, was just bad as bad could get. Most of what has been mentioned is the defensive side of the ball so I think that is Kubiak relying on Richard Smith's opinion to much. We have signed guys that others thought were not worth much and they seem to have done well, like Kevin Walter, Andrea Davis and Ephrim Salaam. Which brings some of the arguements full circle. Having a DC and DB coach that have a clue would eliminate a lot of these type of mistakes.
Old 11-16-2008   #53
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I would not list Meyers just yet but he is close. Flanagan, I understood why they did it (familiarity), it just did not work. Black, was just bad as bad could get. Most of what has been mentioned is the defensive side of the ball so I think that is Kubiak relying on Richard Smith's opinion to much. We have signed guys that others thought were not worth much and they seem to have done well, like Kevin Walter, Andrea Davis and Ephrim Salaam. Which brings some of the arguements full circle. Having a DC and DB coach that have a clue would eliminate a lot of these type of mistakes.
Yeah, but the guys we've signed that the rest of the league didn't give a chance were unknown quantities. With Flanagan, everyone knew he was a good player, and everyone but the Texans knew he was finished. With Black, he had gotten his shot and everyone but the Texans knew he sucked. With Myers (Meyers?), he started a full season for the Broncos and they knew he wasn't worth bringing back, even for the meager contract we gave him. Somehow, the Texans didn't know that either. With Ahman Green, everyone but the Texans knew he was washed up, and the Packers tried to offer him a reasonable contract that would ensure he retired a Packer, yet the Texans didn't come to that same realization. With Buchanon, the Raiders knew he wasn't worth keeping, yet the Texans somehow couldn't figure that out. The Cowboys fans laughed at the Texans for signing Reeves, and the team readily let Reeves go, in a league where you can't have enough corners. Now we cry.

Generally speaking, the free agents that have worked out for the Texans have been guys that were unknown and hadn't gotten their chance, or were expected to be special teams and bit players. The Texans haven't done so well on guys that have a track record. THAT is why the Colvin deal was a bad deal, IMO - because they continue to fail to recognize when older players are no longer worth signing. Colvin could have been a good signing, if he had come in with an incentive-laden contract with no guaranteed money. Make it so that if he makes the team, he gets a couple hundred thousand. Then if he plays X amount of snaps, he gets more. Then, if he achieves certain metrics, he gets more. Or whatever, I'm not a GM. Guaranteed money was stupid, IMO, even if it was only a million.

Hell, they ought to just give me the million. It would go to better use

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read