Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-14-2008   #21
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 398 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jacoby Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
The Texans can afford to be selective, with starters 1a and 1b already on the roster.
More like 1F and -2F cause thats the grade they're playing at right now.
Old 11-14-2008   #22
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyFresh View Post
So you don't think he learned anything from Tom Brady? Learning and watching Brady work with what he had at times? Sure, they had a great DLine, but before Moss and company he spread that ball around and made some damn good lemonade out of lemons when he needed to.
That's just it, he probably learned a lot but it doesn't show in his performance. He's not horrible but he's not great, he's serviceable. At least what I have seen so far. If we ever go another direction than Schaub, I want it to be a top tier QB or at least projected to be. I haven't seen that out of Cassel.
Old 11-14-2008   #23
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
It's called incompetent coaching!! Game plan that they half ass prepared for to start with AIN'T working, but, God forbid they have a little guts and change it any.
Yep. JJ was more of a mismatch for the Baltimore D, so we played to their strength. They are pretty damn good in the middle of thier D, with their CB's being a little suspect. Im tired of seeing guys not play, then later hearing " I should have played himm more." It gets really ******* old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
So does that mean we're going to see some 2 yard hitches in the near future? Or the drop back and nail the camera man? Or the scramble out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage? Or the throw the ball 5 yards past the LOS play? Or the drop back and hit the ground like there's bullets flying?
If we start to see 2 yard hitches, we will have alot of pick 6's. Carr had a live arm, while Sage's is more akin to a BB gun. He cant throw that pass consistantly.
Old 11-14-2008   #24
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyFresh View Post
two words: Matt Cassel
You did see him fail at throwing in resemblance of a deep ball didn't you?
Old 11-14-2008   #25
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Jacoby Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I get the feeling that Kubiak is hesitant to make in game adjustments.

I think they gameplanned the way they did, and that was without major use of Jacoby. Just because he did well on one play, doesn't mean that Kubiak is able or willing to write him into others.

Its sort of one our handicaps
I hate that BOTH my college and NFL coach seem brain damaged in that respect.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #26
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
because Jones is an inconsistent WR and Anderson isn't even though Jones has more pure physical ability....Jones gets on the field more if he continues to do this sort of thing.
There was a Woody Allen short story where the narrator wanted to get the brain of a smart ugly girl into the body of a really hot dumb girl. But the guy in the story ends up with the dumb girls brain in the smart girls body. Dumb and ugly.

It's too bad David Anderson's brain isn't in Jacoby Jones body. Thought Jones had some moments, he also AT HOME gooned and fielded punts inside the 10 that were baffling and put the offense in horrible position, especially against a good defensive team.
Old 11-14-2008   #27
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Jacoby Jones reminds me of the Scarecrow in Wizard of Oz sometimes...

You would be a big time player "If you only had a brain!!!"
Old 11-14-2008   #28
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

PLay him more in what are u saying let JJ play WR for a Few PLays ......???? I say NO !!! 2 that
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #29
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I was just kind of thinking about it and was wondering something. After Jacoby Jones made that great 40 something yard play, why was he not in the game more but David Anderson was in there quite a bit.

I'm just assuming that a defensive team would see that a real fast guy just burned them for 40 something yards and will have to account for him. I hardly believe they were scared of David Anderson. Ok that is my rear view mirror so no more of the Ravens game after this but I do hope they include Jacoby quite a bit in the Indy game.
He still makes mental errors. He has responsibilities to the team. If he doesn't meet those responsibilities...his touches get reduced. I'm not talking about taking the punt back every time he touches the ball. But making crisp, clear, correct decisions when he has opportunities. If he can't manage decisions on a punt....how can he manage a pass route on a rhythm passing team ?
What is the name of the old Bille Jole song..."it's a matter of trust" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx53c_6h-W4

Same thing is going on with Bennit. Bennit's feet are just awful. He is not having a good season.

Reduced playing time, It's the only hammer the coaches have.

I'm with you on one thingy though...Got a ZBS team and a very aggressive run defense....no end a rounds. No reverses...and only one screen pass play...that's a coaching flaw. That's bad game planing. I don't care what level you're on. With Duane struggling against the elite guys. And the interior struggling against the NTs...they should be running every draw in the book. Lead, wrap around, delayed.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 11-16-2008 at 10:04 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #30
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe we should send Reeves a Billy Joel CD ?
Old 12-07-2008   #31
Sal Rosenberg
All Pro

Rep Power: 111 Sal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jacoby Jones?

He dropped a punt today that turned the whole momentum in the game.I saw Kubiak drop and "F" bomb and I almost broke my television.
Sal Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #32
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

he makes me more nervous than any other player on our roster.

why in God's name does he have to jump into the air while fielding a punted ball? that is either coaching, or him not listening to his coaches.

either way, I'm just about ready to say goodbye to Mr. Jones. loads of gamebreaking talent, but damn...I don't want heart palpitations every time we line up for a punt return either.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #33
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
he makes me more nervous than any other player on our roster.

why in God's name does he have to jump into the air while fielding a punted ball? that is either coaching, or him not listening to his coaches.

either way, I'm just about ready to say goodbye to Mr. Jones. loads of gamebreaking talent, but damn...I don't want heart palpitations every time we line up for a punt return either.
My next mock draft is coming this week. In it, the Texans take a certain Big XII Wide receiver. To find out who, look out for my next Mock, coming later this week!

If the Texans agree with my assessment, it might be tough for Mr. Jones to make the squad.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #34
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
My next mock draft is coming this week. In it, the Texans take a certain Big XII Wide receiver. To find out who, look out for my next Mock, coming later this week!

If the Texans agree with my assessment, it might be tough for Mr. Jones to make the squad.
Quan Cosby could be a steal in this year's draft. He won't go in the early rounds, but he's a hell of an all around, dependable player with good hands and good speed.
Old 12-07-2008   #35
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Quan Cosby could be a steal in this year's draft. He won't go in the early rounds, but he's a hell of an all around, dependable player with good hands and good speed.
Sounds like jacoby coming out of the draft. He tries to hard, needs to learn how to pick his spots. All he has is pr duties and tries to make a play everytime. Can't say cosby wouldn't be the same when he chose baseball over football. We're deep at wr and jacoby doesn't get any action on offense. Cosby could try to hard shine like jj.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #36
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Sounds like jacoby coming out of the draft. He tries to hard, needs to learn how to pick his spots. All he has is pr duties and tries to make a play everytime. Can't say cosby wouldn't be the same when he chose baseball over football. We're deep at wr and jacoby doesn't get any action on offense. Cosby could try to hard to shine like jj.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #37
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

its so easy to jump on the kid when the spotlight shines down & centerstage. The Texans won the game despite turnovers because the best players were put in positions to make plays, thats all you can ask. Not trying to make excuses but watching all the cold weather games the football behaves much different under those conditions. Jacoby had a hard time adjusting to the conditions & learned another lesson the hard way. I feel bad for his sake, but I don't want to see him get down on himself after everthing thats happend this year, take the good with the bad & let the playmaker in him shine next time he gets his moment
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #38
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Jacoby and the kid has all the tools but doesn't seem, from the outside looking in, can bring it all together. He's had his adjustment time and it make take him leaving the team to focus on getting better. I know this is a JJ thread but this staff and Molden have got to find out if he can crack the CB rotation. It's great to have a ST ace but we need a contributer in the secondary.

Not saying they've been a waste but...if this staff really wants to nail its drafts we're going to have to stop using our 3rds on small school guys, that are really raw, and use them on guys who are polished but dropped into the third. I hate to think we have two good ST guys but passed on two starters elsewhere.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #39
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Excuse me, but other than today, when has Jacoby put the ball on the ground? From reading previous posts, I get the impression that he fumbles a punt as many times as Rosenfels throws interceptions.

I don't get what someone else said, that he holds his breath everytime he catches a punt. Again, other than today, what's the reason why you'd feel that way?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #40
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
its so easy to jump on the kid when the spotlight shines down & center stage. The Texans won the game despite turnovers because the best players were put in positions to make plays, thats all you can ask. Not trying to make excuses but watching all the cold weather games the football behaves much different under those conditions. Jacoby had a hard time adjusting to the conditions & learned another lesson the hard way. I feel bad for his sake, but I don't want to see him get down on himself after ever thing thats happened this year, take the good with the bad & let the play maker in him shine next time he gets his moment
Jacoby Jones made two critical errors. The first pointed out By Spencer Tillman on Mr McNair's recap show....he leaped into the air to receive a punt.
Now I was a lineman and have absolutely no practical experence....but football 101 you never leave your feet. The second, he doesn't have his shoulder pads square to the ball. Football 101, if they can read your numbers in the stands your not moving your feet and you are out of position. Now what we don't know is are they coaching him these things ? Or are they using the mother of all screw ups and assuming he knows ?

The second thing you might want to consider: The Green Bay Kid missed his first punt. But after that he was stroking knuckle balls in that wind. Now J.J. is a professional. And you're correct to call him out. But I'm here to testify if it was you or I under those punts or Andre Davis or Dav Anderson....we'd of drop more than just a few. The first mistakes should be correctable. The second...give the devil his due...the Kid from Penn St. is a terrific punter.

I doubt they have much media on this guy. So not being prepared for the Penn St. kid, caulk that up as they slipped one under the radar against us.

What we don't know for a fact is what they are doing with J.J. in practice. What he is being coached. And is the coaching taking ?

The next time you take a raw guy....raw means raw....the mistakes are part of the process. I'm still willing. Don't know about Kubes.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-07-2008 at 11:44 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read