Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-14-2008   #41
Mean Machine
Veteran

Rep Power: 114 Mean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Suggestions on how to voice our displeasure without looking like a douchebag?

I think that when the TV shows people with sacks on their heads or signs pointing out how they think their home team stinks, it makes the whole fan base look like goof balls.

Hey, Eric Winston said it in pre-season, there is not much difference between 11-5 and 5-11, a few breaks, and you'll be on the good side. Right now, I think the best thing to be would be to show up EARLY, WEAR RED and BE LOUD.

Enjoy the opportunity to cheer, to get away for a few hours from the economy mess, the war and other day to day issues, and just be TEXANS Proud and the fact that we actually have pro football in the city.

Enough of the negativity, it's bad karma.
sec 637: Gridiron, Texas.
Mean Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #42
BuffaloglennTX
Rookie

Rep Power: 24 BuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performer
Default Re: Suggestions on how to voice our displeasure without looking like a douchebag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Yeah because Houston fans were so intelligent they were chanting "We want Sage" during the Miami game.

People are entitled to boo but I don't see the point. If it doesn't help and gives comfort to the opposing team, then I want nothing to do with it. It is traitorous behavior.

I'm sorry I can't get behind this. Any time I see a Texan *fan* with a bag on his head, I want to punch em. Give your ticket to someone who wants to be there.

All that booing and awful signs would mean is that free agents should steer clear of Houston. And the good players who remain should try to leave.

Teams need their fans the most when they are struggling. Anyone can be a fan when everything is sunshine.

McNair gets it. He's not stupid. But it isn't an easy call to make big changes with staff as the season is going on and without a bye week. It's not a no brainer.

This thread is dead to me.
As usual, Texans Chick nailed it. Booing is a waste - if you are going to be vocal, do it in a positive way or save your breath. Booing only further demoralizes your team that needs to regroup on the sidelines anyway. I wanted to punch some of those "we want Sage" chanters at the Miami game. Idiots.

If you don't like the team, stop buying season tickets. Go to the games you have paid for and cheer your team on, or give your tickets to someone who actually wants to be there. Don't buy 10 $10 beers each game if you are not happy. The message will get across better than any booing or stupid signs that make you look dumb will ever do.

I could start a whole other thread about Houston sports fans and the Luv ya blue and early 90's era, but I'll save that for another time. House of Pain we are not.
BuffaloglennTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #43
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Real simple. Support our team even as the BAD times continue, or give your tickets to someone who will and stay at home. There's lots of organizations out there who would LOVE to take some kids to a game, esps MNF. Wearing a bag on your head, holding up an ig*orant sign, wearing a "fire" anyone shirt, does nothing but make YOU look like a fool. That's JMO!!!! If nothing else, have a little respect for those of us who will be there supporting our team on the National stage.

Be there, wear red, take your anger out on the Jags!!! Might just make ya feel better!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #44
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I go to NFL games because I love the NFL....now the Texans are my local team but we really haven't bonded yet because I think you get an emotional attachment when you start to win games when winning games means something. I'm a pretty competitive person so perhaps this desire to win is something that all you guys that love to support a loser don't have as deeply as I do...not saying that is a trait that eveyone needs to have, afterall, you may be more nurturing person than I am...takes all kinds, but I'm disgusted with this team right now, but I'll go to every single game I can go to 'cause at least one team in the house is playing NFL ball every Sunday.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #45
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84705 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

You can bet there will be people in the stands for the Jag game with bags over their heads sitting there very pleased with themselves about how funny, clever and original they are.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #46
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72471 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Machine View Post
Hey, Eric Winston said it in pre-season, there is not much difference between 11-5 and 5-11, a few breaks, and you'll be on the good side. Right now, I think the best thing to be would be to show up EARLY, WEAR RED and BE LOUD.
I wonder if at 11-5 the players would say, "realistically, we are just about 5-11. We just caught some breaks".
Old 11-14-2008   #47
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 399 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloglennTX View Post
As usual, Texans Chick nailed it. Booing is a waste - if you are going to be vocal, do it in a positive way or save your breath. Booing only further demoralizes your team that needs to regroup on the sidelines anyway. I wanted to punch some of those "we want Sage" chanters at the Miami game. Idiots.

If you don't like the team, stop buying season tickets. Go to the games you have paid for and cheer your team on, or give your tickets to someone who actually wants to be there. Don't buy 10 $10 beers each game if you are not happy. The message will get across better than any booing or stupid signs that make you look dumb will ever do.

I could start a whole other thread about Houston sports fans and the Luv ya blue and early 90's era, but I'll save that for another time. House of Pain we are not.
So we should go and not voice our opinion about a bad product? We the customer can complain our steak is not cooked enough or dude you made the truck worse repairing it, but its idiocy to voice our opinion on a product we pay good money for? Last I checked if your product or service sucks you do what you need to FIX it right and if that means change of staff or players in this case you do it. Yelling is part of the game and if you don't boo, they don't know. If I want my product and service to be better and they want my money, I seriously doubt they will say will then don't eat here or don't come to our games anymore because we voiced that they're product sucks.
Old 11-14-2008   #48
BuffaloglennTX
Rookie

Rep Power: 24 BuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I go to NFL games because I love the NFL....now the Texans are my local team but we really haven't bonded yet because I think you get an emotional attachment when you start to win games when winning games means something. I'm a pretty competitive person so perhaps this desire to win is something that all you guys that love to support a loser don't have as deeply as I do...not saying that is a trait that eveyone needs to have, afterall, you may be more nurturing person than I am...takes all kinds, but I'm disgusted with this team right now, but I'll go to every single game I can go to 'cause at least one team in the house is playing NFL ball every Sunday.

I think at least two teams are playing NFL ball each game, unless we got permission for the Texans to beat up on some college or semi-pro teams? Just kidding.

I guarantee you that I am every bit as competitive as you are and I am just as disgusted as you, because I want to see this team succeed in the worst way. I've been there when our teams have been good (late seventies and early 90's Oilers) and bad (early seventies and early to mid eighties Oilers along with 02-06 Texans). I just don't give up that easily. I look for ways to help the team win, and putting a bag over my head or booing don't seem like ways to do that. I also did not jump on the Oilers bandwagon after they started winning, and I'm not doing that with the Texans either. The beauty of it is that you can choose to jump on when they start doing well; it's great to have choices. My choice is to use every bit of my ability to help the team win.
Old 11-14-2008   #49
BuffaloglennTX
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyFresh View Post
So we should go and not voice our opinion about a bad product? We the customer can complain our steak is not cooked enough or dude you made the truck worse repairing it, but its idiocy to voice our opinion on a product we pay good money for? Last I checked if your product or service sucks you do what you need to FIX it right and if that means change of staff or players in this case you do it. Yelling is part of the game and if you don't boo, they don't know. If I want my product and service to be better and they want my money, I seriously doubt they will say will then don't eat here or don't come to our games anymore because we voiced that they're product sucks.
Have you ever heard that silence speaks volumes? Booing is the lazy approach to trying to fix things. Money talks - don't buy season tickets and $10 beers. Booing doesn't indicate passion, it indicates fickleness and lack of intelligence.
Old 11-14-2008   #50
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Have you ever heard that silence speaks volumes? Booing is the lazy approach to trying to fix things. Money talks - don't buy season tickets and $10 beers. Booing doesn't indicate passion, it indicates fickleness and lack of intelligence.
I don't make much noise at the games but I don't mind when the fans boo when the product is awful. We took a ton of bad football around here before we unleashed some of our disgust. It's time this franchise grew up. Booing means you care....silence is scary.

Old 11-14-2008   #51
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

What I try to do personally is to calm down before speaking. Think about the other guy's point of view and how he might have come to the line of reasoning in question. Consider why I disagree with him and what his possible counterarguments might BE to my statements. If there is something that illustrates my point (article or photo) I'll bring it up or maybe even post it.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #52
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Quote:
I think at least two teams are playing NFL ball each game, unless we got permission for the Texans to beat up on some college or semi-pro teams? Just kidding.

I guarantee you that I am every bit as competitive as you are and I am just as disgusted as you, because I want to see this team succeed in the worst way. I've been there when our teams have been good (late seventies and early 90's Oilers) and bad (early seventies and early to mid eighties Oilers along with 02-06 Texans). I just don't give up that easily. I look for ways to help the team win, and putting a bag over my head or booing don't seem like ways to do that. I also did not jump on the Oilers bandwagon after they started winning, and I'm not doing that with the Texans either. The beauty of it is that you can choose to jump on when they start doing well; it's great to have choices. My choice is to use every bit of my ability to help the team win.
I don't do any of that stuff either (wearing bags or carrying derogatory signs or whatever) but it doesn't bother me when other fans are more animated...heck, football fans are an emotional bunch. That is one great thing I love about a football fan base. I sat through two back to back 1-13 seasons as a kid following the Oilers when many other kids just supported the Cowboys around here (hell, they were on TV every week and we weren't), so I know all about supporting a rotten product. I was probably way more of a homer back then though, but my love for the NFL is solid and will continue to be solid even if this team never wins. I just won't have as much emotional attachment to them since I really don't like watching bad football as much as I like watching a well coached team playing for something at least every now and then.

Old 11-14-2008   #53
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 399 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

We boo when its bad cause we care and love this team. If we show we don't care and clam up guess what, our team won't care either and thats a recipe for disaster. I never want to see a half empty stadium like I did when I was a kid watching that "other team".
Old 11-14-2008   #54
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
The entire point is moot. You can't get more than a half dozen Houston sports fans to participate in anything "synchronized" at one time. It will never be noticed because too many of the people at the game won't even be there because they love football or the Texans or the NFL. They'll be there because somebody they know has season tickets and didn't want to go or because their company had seats and wasn't using them. They'll be there because it's fun to sit inside the little concourse area in the expensive section and talk with friends, see and be seen, and maybe watch a little of the game on all the television sets.

I see your point TexansFight and like the idea but I just don't think that the Texans inspire enough "passion" to get you many participants.
You said a mouthful there. There are very many times that I go to games and people get mad at me for being to loud and they get annoyed. You can definetly tell they are only there because they got the tickets for free.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #55
BuffaloglennTX
Rookie

Quote:
I don't do any of that stuff either (wearing bags or carrying derogatory signs or whatever) but it doesn't bother me when other fans are more animated...heck, football fans are an emotional bunch. That is one great thing I love about a football fan base. I sat through two back to back 1-13 seasons as a kid following the Oilers when many other kids just supported the Cowboys around here (hell, they were on TV every week and we weren't), so I know all about supporting a rotten product. I was probably way more of a homer back then though, but my love for the NFL is solid and will continue to be solid even if this team never wins. I just won't have as much emotional attachment to them since I really don't like watching bad football as much as I like watching a well coached team playing for something at least every now and then.

I'm with you on watching a well coached team perform, especially when it is your team and they are playing for more than next year's high draft picks. I remember well being in the dome, walking out with my ears ringing and voice hoarse, from both wins and losses. I remember screaming Houston and the other side screaming Oilers so loud that speakers in the stadium were useless. I hope the Texans can reach that level of play and "fan performance" sooner rather than later.
Old 11-14-2008   #56
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
You said a mouthful there. There are very many times that I go to games and people get mad at me for being to loud and they get annoyed. You can definetly tell they are only there because they got the tickets for free.
Crap I hate that too! People looking at you funny cause your rooting for your team, lol.
Old 11-14-2008   #57
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

Quote:
I don't make much noise at the games but I don't mind when the fans boo when the product is awful. We took a ton of bad football around here before we unleashed some of our disgust. It's time this franchise grew up. Booing means you care....silence is scary.

That is where I am at. I listened to Drayton (Astros Owner) on the radio a few years back. He said he doesn't mind the angry calls, letters, e-mails, people booing because it shows that they actually care. The problem comes when they don't boo, or call, or write. That means you have lost your fanbase and during the time at the Astrodome he knew he lost the fans.

To everyone "disgusted" with people booing or upset, why? Do you think fans should only make noise when they are happy? It should be a stadium full of people clapping and cheering and complete silence when things go wrong? I have seen people here lose touch with reality, but this is taking the cake. If someone pays their money to go to a game, they have the right to voice their displeasure. They have supported the team with that ticket purchase, but now you all are saying it is disrespectful to boo the team?

So is the rule, "Don't boo the Texans in the stadium, but go to Texanstalk.com and rip them a new one every week" or "Don't boo the team in the stadium, but rip them up in the post-game tailgate"?

My opinion in regards to the Monday Night game, if you want to make a sign about how bad the team is, go for it. If you want to wear a T-shirt saying Kubiak needs to go, then go for it. It isn't like that would be a revelation to anyone watching. It is not going to make the fans look like goof balls or anything. A sign or a T-shirt isn't going to determine if the Texans get another primetime game, wins and losses will determine that.

This entire "Protect the Hive" mindset I am reading really is surprising to me, but then again I guess we are seeing extremes in fandom now. Some who are clinging to the Texans as hard as they can and others who have become totally disgusted with the team.
Old 11-14-2008   #58
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

The least douchey thing people could do if they actually went to the stadium would be a "Fire Gary!" chant I suppose
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #59
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's some ideas....

Don't be this guy
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #60
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 4153 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm with you on watching a well coached team perform, especially when it is your team and they are playing for more than next year's high draft picks. I remember well being in the dome, walking out with my ears ringing and voice hoarse, from both wins and losses. I remember screaming Houston and the other side screaming Oilers so loud that speakers in the stadium were useless. I hope the Texans can reach that level of play and "fan performance" sooner rather than later.
Reliant Stadium has the potential to be one of the best homefield advantages in the league. Remember our first couple of years in the league we were able to get other teams into numerous false starts because of crowd noise.

That is why I find the whole "Be the home field advantage" theme to be kind of ridiculous. You wouldn't need such a slogan if this team was worth a damn because that shit takes care of itself. Still I stand up when appropriate and yell my lungs out when we are on defense. The horrid play of this team has unfortunately zapped the enthusiasm and passion from a large segment of the crowd.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read