Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-13-2008   #1
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Suggestions on how to voice our displeasure without looking like a *********?

I know I probably am going to get some heat for this and I can't wait for the barrage of insults to come my way for not being a "true" fan despite being a season ticket holder from the beginning and attending and watching all the games.

I fully expect us to lose our next two on the road. There is absolutely nothing to suggest we won't get killed. We haven't won a road game in over a year and look like crap on the road during the Kubiak era. Obviously, I want us to win both games. I have always watched the games either on TV for road games and at Reliant. I always have gone to preseason games as well.

For my sanity, I am instituting a personal boycott and am not going to watch the Colts game. I have Sunday Ticket and will be watching all of the other games instead.

Our next home game is a Monday nighter on Dec. 1 against the Jags. Its our first Monday night game since 1994. We are going to have media attention and unfortunately for the rest of the country, we will be the only game on that night.

I would like to use that opportunity to show that I as a fan and season ticket holder am extremely pissed and unhappy at the state of our team. I want to convey the fact that we Texans fans are not going to be satisfied with the status quo going into next year and that a sacrificial lamb firing while necessary in the case of Richard Smith (IMO he should have been canned after his 1st year) is not enough. To borrow from our President-elect, we need fundamental chage in how we do things now.

I am not looking to make myself into a spectacle or attract attention to myself. I would be willing to wear a non-descript pin or t-shirt in a show of solidarity with my fellow suffering Texans fans. There of course is the whole paper bag on your head but that comes close to *********gery.

Basically, I had a lot of respect for Lions fans showing their disgust and outrage with the Matt Millen regime. "Fire Millen" chants were heard all over Michigan even at non-Lions or football games. They wore t-shirts to that effect and basically have voiced frustration in not winning anything since 1957 and having only 1 playoff win since that time. I respect that as a fan and now that they have been beaten down by the suckitude but they still care and are not apathetic. I want the football world to know that we Texans fans are a loyal and hardy bunch and that we are not happy with the state of our team.

The differece with Houstonians is we are nicer and more mellow. As a fanbase we care. Do y'all feel the same way wanting to express your displeasure but not wanting to create a spectacle out of yourself. I take no pleasure in wanting to do this and desperately want us to be a winner. I don't like to boo but have booed several times (especially the last game) when it came to performance of our team and coaching. Booing is not enough.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by TexansFight; 11-13-2008 at 04:22 PM.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #2
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Suggestions on how to voice our displeasure without looking like a *********?

Rep for this post. Some times, when I am really feeling the anger, I want to make a sign or something. But then I think, I don't want to be THAT guy.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Suggestions on how to voice our displeasure without looking like a *********?

My perception is to wear shirts or have signs that say "Fire Kubiak" or things to that effect just make the franchise and city as a whole look weak, unwanted and basically make them out like the team is some sorta joke. The announcers or sports writers will probably talk and write about it and that just brings more attention to what shambles the franchise is in. I think it just makes the franchise and city look even worse, when the fans do things like that.

Let's take Detroit, again, for example. If I turn on the tv and see them playing, I know the fans aren't happy, that they want their team to get better and win. I don't have to see tshirts, signs or paper bags to know they are embarrassed. It's when they call even more attention to the fact that they look like a joke and embarrass the franchise even more. I have more respect for them when I see them supporting their team, rooting for them to win even though they're going 0-16 than for them to throw the team/coach/whoever under the bus while going 0-16.

Those are just my thoughts and opinions. I think if you were to do something like wear a "Fire Kubiak" t shirt, it'd just call more attention to the country about how much we suck right now... and that's not really going to make things better.

If anything I'd get straight and to the point, honest and somewhat funny. Just have a sign that says something like, "I wish we would win more." And sport a frown while your wearing it. I think it'd be funnier to see a fan like that than being pissed off at the team.

I still love my team of many flaws.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Suggestions on how to voice our displeasure without looking like a *********?

Up here at UVa the football stadium actually outlawed all signs because there were too many "Fire Groh" signs being displayed.

I think some signs are good, but not all. Like OMT said, you have to make them funny if you can. We don't want to make the city look like a joke

Here are some ideas of how to get them on ESPN:
Every
Season
Produces
Nothing

or

Eleven
Sucky
Players
Never win!

or

Expose of
Smith!
Please,
Now!

Last edited by gtexan02; 11-13-2008 at 04:34 PM.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #5
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
My perception is to wear shirts or have signs that say "Fire Kubiak" or things to that effect just make the franchise and city as a whole look weak, unwanted and basically make them out like the team is some sorta joke. The announcers or sports writers will probably talk and write about it and that just brings more attention to what shambles the franchise is in. I think it just makes the franchise and city look even worse, when the fans do things like that.

Let's take Detroit, again, for example. If I turn on the tv and see them playing, I know the fans aren't happy, that they want their team to get better and win. I don't have to see tshirts, signs or paper bags to know they are embarrassed. It's when they call even more attention to the fact that they look like a joke and embarrass the franchise even more. I have more respect for them when I see them supporting their team, rooting for them to win even though they're going 0-16 than for them to throw the team/coach/whoever under the bus while going 0-16.

Those are just my thoughts and opinions. I think if you were to do something like wear a "Fire Kubiak" t shirt, it'd just call more attention to the country about how much we suck right now... and that's not really going to make things better.

If anything I'd get straight and to the point, honest and somewhat funny. Just have a sign that says something like, "I wish we would win more." And sport a frown while your wearing it. I think it'd be funnier to see a fan like that than being pissed off at the team.

I still love my team of many flaws.
I appreciate your feedback and see what your saying. Again, I don't want to make a spectacle of myself or try to get on TV or anything like that. That is why I created this thread. I guess I am just frustrated with the lack of any input that we fans have with regard to the "product" we are buying in the Texans. Don't show up to the games to show your displeasure you are wasting money and the national perception becomes that we are bad fans. Show up and stew in the misery and McNair doesn't get the message that the natives are restless. I guess that is my frustration.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #6
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

A sign that says, We will win................someday.

I can't even think about wearing a shirt that says fire Kubiak. Waaay too negative for primetime. The empty seats will be embarrassing enough.

Often, you can make your point better with humor especially when the situation is anything but funny.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been thinking about this....

If you normally buy 4 beers per game, cut back to 3.
If you normally buy 3 hotdogs per game (piggy), cut back to 2.
etc.
etc.
etc.

x 60,000 adds up.

Revenues will drop, but in an inconspicuous way, but will still be felt.
Old 11-13-2008   #8
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 89950 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Lose the rubber suit and hose, then say it.
Old 11-13-2008   #9
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
For my sanity, I am instituting a personal boycott and am not going to watch the Colts game. I have Sunday Ticket and will be watching all of the other games instead.
I call BS. We Houston sports fans are notorious for giving our teams multiple chances. I don't think you can do it if you are a true Texan fan.

JMO
Shaft75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Best way to support the team is to support football in Houston on MNF.

Decked out and loud.

Show free agents that this is a great destination to come to.

Hopefully the team will be competitive over the next couple of weeks and for that game, or it will be a long time before we get another MNF or much of anything prime time.

Whoever the coaches end up being on the team, we need to put on a good show. To make TV want to come back.

I don't think Detroit is a place you want to emulate, and I am sure that McNair already knows that the fans are pissed.
Old 11-13-2008   #11
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 27616 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Decked out and loud.

Hopefully the team will be competitive over the next couple of weeks and for that game, or it will be a long time before we get another MNF or much of anything prime time.

Whoever the coaches end up being on the team, we need to put on a good show. To make TV want to come back.

I don't think Detroit is a place you want to emulate, and I am sure that McNair already knows that the fans are pissed.
I'm with that. There isn't any bigger show peice during the regular season than MNF, and Houston fans at least need to be backing the team from the start. If things go bad then start booing, but at least give the impression of the fanbase being behind the team.
mattieuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

How about something like:
- "Kubiak is a Maverick"
or
- "Texans fans need some Change we can belive in."

lol
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 201178 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
How about something like:
- "Kubiak is a Maverick"
or
- "Texans fans need some Change we can belive in."

lol

OMG, thats awful. But why am I laughing so hard?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #14
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Decked out and loud.

Thank you for bringing reason back to this thread. I'm just as angry as many of you are about our so-called progress. I like TexansFight's idea for a boycott but not during our first prime time MNF game. We need to show the world that we love our team. We are fans who get behind our team.

I tried to do a search for the video of our opening drive on youtube but it appears to have been taken off. If anyone could repost that, it'd be great because I know I need a pick me up and a reminder of how happy the city of Houston was to have football back. That's what we all need to remember. Remember how loud it was before/during/after the opening kick off. I'll never forget it. We all need to remember that.
Old 11-13-2008   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Thank you for bringing reason back to this thread. I'm just as angry as many of you are about our so-called progress. I like TexansFight's idea for a boycott but not during our first prime time MNF game. We need to show the world that we love our team. We are fans who get behind our team.

I tried to do a search for the video of our opening drive on youtube but it appears to have been taken off. If anyone could repost that, it'd be great because I know I need a pick me up and a reminder of how happy the city of Houston was to have football back. That's what we all need to remember. Remember how loud it was before/during/after the opening kick off. I'll never forget it. We all need to remember that.
He said he was doing a personal boycott by not watching the Colts game at home...he stated he was going to the MNF game.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #16
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
He said he was doing a personal boycott by not watching the Colts game at home...he stated he was going to the MNF game.
Yeah, by trying to band together a group of fans into wearing shirts that show his displeasure for the Houston Texans on Monday Night Football. At least, that is how I understood his post to mean?
Old 11-13-2008   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Yeah, by trying to band together a group of fans into wearing shirts that show his displeasure for the Houston Texans on Monday Night Football. At least, that is how I understood his post to mean?
dude has season tickets, a PSL, and has been posting on our message boards since before 2002....I'd say he has a right to voice his displeasure. I'm gonna support my home team as much as I can too, but I'm gonna make sure the Texans know I'm not satisfied in the least bit myself. I'm sure a couple of the webmaster guys who write for the team are sick of my text messages.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #18
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

we as fans would look like tools if the t-shirt idea would get some airtime, and then have our team win the game.

I don't wnt to be labeled as a fickle fan so I'll support the team they put out on the field...as usual and probably to a fault.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 214832 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

The entire point is moot. You can't get more than a half dozen Houston sports fans to participate in anything "synchronized" at one time. It will never be noticed because too many of the people at the game won't even be there because they love football or the Texans or the NFL. They'll be there because somebody they know has season tickets and didn't want to go or because their company had seats and wasn't using them. They'll be there because it's fun to sit inside the little concourse area in the expensive section and talk with friends, see and be seen, and maybe watch a little of the game on all the television sets.

I see your point TexansFight and like the idea but I just don't think that the Texans inspire enough "passion" to get you many participants.
Old 11-13-2008   #20
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
The entire point is moot. You can't get more than a half dozen Houston sports fans to participate in anything "synchronized" at one time. It will never be noticed because too many of the people at the game won't even be there because they love football or the Texans or the NFL. They'll be there because somebody they know has season tickets and didn't want to go or because their company had seats and wasn't using them. They'll be there because it's fun to sit inside the little concourse area in the expensive section and talk with friends, see and be seen, and maybe watch a little of the game on all the television sets.

I see your point TexansFight and like the idea but I just don't think that the Texans inspire enough "passion" to get you many participants.
Let me ask you this... would you be saying that I don't have enough passion because I'm not a fan of pulling a statement like that on national TV at this juncture in our short history. I'm just as upset as the next person but I believed that Kubiak was the answer. I believed that Schaub would take us to the next level. I genuinely believed that we were headed in the right direction up until now. I'm now starting to question our coaches and the direction that the team is headed in.

I'm more of an advocate of letting McNair know this rather than having it blasted all over national TV. McNair made a statement the other day that leads me to think that he's heard us and he's listening. The hot seat is growing hotter by the game now. If no major changes are made next season then maybe I'll be one of those joining in with TexansPride and his national statement.

I guess I'm saying... talk to the boss before you embarrass him on TV. Give him a shot to fix the problem. Just how long have we been clamoring for Kubiak's head here? Not really all that long.

To Vinny, I definitely think he's earned the right to state his displeasure. So have I. I'm just not ready to embarrass our organization by blasting them just yet. I need a little more time before I start to get really angry.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read