Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-13-2008   #1
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Molden to start getting some reps. Finally.

Read this at the Chronic. This season is done (in terms of playoff hopes) so I'm glad to see them start to get the young guys in. Might as well see what we have.

Texans coach Gary Kubiak said Wednesday he plans to play rookie cornerback Antwaun Molden soon.

“I think you’re going to see him start to get some reps,” Kubiak said of Molden. “Whether it’s this week , I don’t know yet. It’s time for guys like him and (safety Dominique) Barber to get in the mix.”

Molden and Barber have played well on special teams.

“I’d think there comes a point where you see him (Molden) out there defensively,” Kubiak said. “He’s a small-school (Eastern Kentucky) kid trying to make his way through pro football.

“He’s made progress, but I haven’t felt like he’s been ready to play on that island. We can also protect him a little with what we do.”

Injury update

Outside linebacker Morlon Greenwood (fibula) and defensive tackle Amobi Okoye (ankle) did not participate in any part of Wednesday’s practice.

Receiver André Davis (finger) was limited.

If Greenwood can’t play against the Colts on Sunday, he’ll be replaced by rookie Xavier Adibi or veteran Chaun Thompson.

“This football team can make you play a lot of nickel, too, so if he (Greenwood) is down, Xavier is going to play a bunch,” coach Gary Kubiak said.

Playing against quarter-back Peyton Manning and his receivers is going to be a baptism by fire for Adibi, a lot tougher than facing the Ravens’ passing game.

“It’s going to be exciting for me, somebody that I’ve been watching ever since I’ve been in high school,” Adibi said. “It’s just my chance to showcase what I can do. I’m still rusty, but I’ve been studying my playbook, so I’ve got the plays down. It’s just a lot of technique stuff that I’ve got to get down.”

Second time around

There’s no rest for the rookie. Left tackle Duane Brown gets Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney after facing Ravens outside linebacker Terrell Suggs and Vikings defensive end Jared Allen in the last two weeks.

At least Brown has played against Freeney this season.

“This will probably be the toughest game of the season, considering the environment and his pass-rushing ability,” Brown said.

Brown played well against Freeney, who had one sack, in the Colts’ 31-27 victory Oct. 5.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6109484.html

Last edited by drewmar74; 11-13-2008 at 01:15 PM.
drewmar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #2
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Molden to start getting some reps. Finally.

When you're 3-6 your team is in the middle of a lost season with no playoff
chances remaing but only one practicle benefit to be gained - getting the rooks and other inexperienced players some real season reps - what's best for the teams long-term is bound to clash with a struggling coachs need to play vets and eck out wins to save his job.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
“He’s made progress, but I haven’t felt like he’s been ready to play on that island. We can also protect him a little with what we do.”
from the original post

...I am wondering "a little with what we do" means .
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #4
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
When you're 3-6 your team is in the middle of a lost season with no playoff
chances remaing but only one practicle benefit to be gained - getting the rooks and other inexperienced players some real season reps - what's best for the teams long-term is bound to clash with a struggling coachs need to play vets and eck out wins to save his job.
Could the rookies really play any worse than the vets at this point? Was there that much of a dropoff with Adibi in there?
Old 11-13-2008   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

probably means using him to cover inside or short zones or giving him safety help
Old 11-13-2008   #6
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I don't give a damn WHO they play, since we seem to be the training ground for players as well as coaches, as long as they BEAT THE FRIGGIN TITANS!! THis year is history anyway, so is that to much to ask??!! SURE, beating the Jags on MNF would be nice, but, I could take a 100-0 loss to them if we could only take the Titans down on Dec 14th!!!!! I could sit back and grin, and MAYBE say "this year was worth it all anyway!!!"

Of course, it's gonna take our HC getting his sheeeet together and NOT allowing himself to be OUT COACHED again!!!

Last edited by SheTexan; 11-13-2008 at 01:41 PM.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Outside linebacker Morlon Greenwood (fibula)
OK, what sort of injury, aside from a fracture, would they list as "fibula"? There's not much else you can do to the fibula. If it was dislocated from the knee of ankle, they'd list it as knee or ankle. Since when do they get so precise with the injury site without likewise being specific about the injury? I mean, if they listed "ACL", wouldn't we all know it's torn?
Old 11-13-2008   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Fibula is not weight bearing, so tons of people can get hairline fractures in the fibula and not even notice it.

Maybe Greenwood has a very tiny injury to the fibula, but its not necessarily IR worthy?
Old 11-13-2008   #9
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

translation: I realize what i was trying to do wasn't working so I've got to do something to shake things up b/c i feel the seat getting a little warmer......

admitting you have a problem is the 1st step to recovery...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #10
Polo

Kubiak's comments are starting to annoy me...
Old 11-13-2008   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

If Moron Greenwood never sets foot on the field again in a Texans uniform it will be too soon. Sitting him will be addition through subtraction.
Old 11-13-2008   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
translation: I realize what i was trying to do wasn't working so I've got to do something to shake things up b/c i feel the seat getting a little warmer......

admitting you have a problem is the 1st step to recovery...
Or rather, screw Dick Smith, Kubiak's playing the players he wants to play.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #13
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 49619 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Hell, with the way this team has been playing lately, it can't hurt to throw in the rooks. You never know what may happen.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #14
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58086 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
“We can also protect him a little with what we do.”
Why cant they do that for Reeves and Faggins?????
mussop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #15
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing bothering me with this is I get the feeling we wouldn't be seeing our last round of draft picks if not for a couple of injuries. That's no way to progress. Identify bad: Morlon Greenwood. Identify possible solution: Xavier Adibi. Implement change. It's okay if you judge Adibi based on his performance too, I just doubt that would happen because Greenwood made it this far. Psyched for the new guys though, can't wait to see them play. I just wish it was by choice instead of by need because now we need them to play against one of (if not the) best QB of this generation.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
OK, what sort of injury, aside from a fracture, would they list as "fibula"? There's not much else you can do to the fibula. If it was dislocated from the knee of ankle, they'd list it as knee or ankle. Since when do they get so precise with the injury site without likewise being specific about the injury? I mean, if they listed "ACL", wouldn't we all know it's torn?
I've not seen any report that classifies Greenwood's injury as anything but an "ankle strain." It could be referring to the ligaments affecting the connection between the ankle bones and fibula. If he does indeed have a true fibula stress fracture, it requires 3-8 weeks of rest. The lower on the fibula, the longer the rest required. If the the diagnosis is delayed, or if the player tries to play through the injury, further trauma and longer recovery period is likely. Also continued play could result in nonunion of the fracture with chronic consequences.

Even though Greenwood's initial x-rays were negative for fracture, stress fractures of the fibula may not show up on x-ray for 8 weeks.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #17
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Could the rookies really play any worse than the vets at this point? Was there that much of a dropoff with Adibi in there?
It also seems that Adibi would be a better match up. He has a little more foot speed, and they arent as likly to be physical upfront, like Minnisota and Baltimore. Moulden, I can kind of understand. A rookie DB against Manning, thats a rough match up. SS should be the only one really tweeked, since Wilson has been on the Pats teams that gave Manning fits. Harrison and Barber can split reps with Fergison. I also think Saalam should start, with Brown playing every 3rd series. He did ok last time, but this is in Indy.
Old 11-14-2008   #18
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40369 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this kid needs to play. He needs to play with the bigger and older kids. That kid Demps is out of luck. And that Reeves kid needs a little more grooming. I just hope all these kids work out.
Old 11-14-2008   #19
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 49619 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I think this kid needs to play. He needs to play with the bigger and older kids. That kid Demps is out of luck. And that Reeves kid needs a little more grooming. I just hope all these kids work out.
Because they are some darn good football players, and they are bustin' their tail on every play.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #20
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

So let me get this straight:

We're going to wait until after we play against "super backup" Gus Ferrotte and rookie Lsensation" Joe Flacco to play our rookie corner? Specifically, we're going to wait until we play against Peyton freakin Manning in his house?

Rock on jerkos

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read