Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-12-2008   #21
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair maybe tired of losing?

Kubiak will be back next year and we will bring in an up and comer, or high profile, DC who wants to take a couple of great pieces (Mario, Demeco, Dunta) and build something around them, and then move onto to the next job. Essentially, hire the anti-Kubiak - attitude, flare, overt passion and feel.

I feel Kubiak will be successful, somewhere. But right now he needs to step out of this comfort zone or have someone by his side who will go outside of his comfort zone for him. The team needs it, the fans need it, and sure as shit on a stick, his stint as HC is on it.

Signed,
Kaiser Toro M.D.
Texan Fan Therapist
Appointment only, no walk ups
Old 11-12-2008   #22
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

talk is cheap an NFL franchise is not. Bob McNair has spoken if he can't get the results he wants he is entitled to "sell off the team" I just don't see a white knight in wait ready to pounce on this buisness plan of failure. The Texans as an organization have done everything right except, to win football games. whats the purpose to turn a buck or turn a win? thats Bob's call one as a leader he has to make
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #23
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 103984 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

holly electric shock batman... maybe some life

Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #24
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 103984 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Kubiak will be back next year and we will bring in an up and comer, or high profile, DC who wants to take a couple of great pieces (Mario, Demeco, Dunta) and build something around them, and then move onto to the next job. Essentially, hire the anti-Kubiak - attitude, flare, overt passion and feel.

I feel Kubiak will be successful, somewhere. But right now he needs to step out of this comfort zone or have someone by his side who will go outside of his comfort zone for him. The team needs it, the fans need it, and sure as shit on a stick, his stint as HC is on it.

Signed,
Kaiser Toro M.D.
Texan Fan Therapist
Appointment only, no walk ups
gregg williams? lol (joking but would love to see some big name come and teach these young guys some stuff or put the players in a situation where they can excel
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #25
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Yeah. Things can read totally differently if you read a quote alongside other quotes.
Very true. How many times have we heard a sports figure say: "That quote was taken out of context." ?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #26
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
I don't think McNair will fire Kubes unless it starts hurting his walet. His a business man not Jerry Jones or the other owners that really care about the football aspect.

It seems the Texans are the opposite of the Steelers. More about money than football, at least at the top of the organization
Where do you get this notion from? The Steelers believe in stability and from what I can tell that is what McNair is trying to have in Houston. Look at the 49ers; they have changed OC every year under Mike Nolan which I believed destroyed any chance Alex Smith had of being a viable QB. Of course his injury might be career threatening.

For the life of me I cannot recall which team it is that has changed DC every year. I recall it being mentioned in one of the pregame shows. I do recall that team not doing well either.

With that said, I do believe Smith and Hoke have been given enough of a chance to prove they suck and have no direction. I also agree with KT about bring in a DC that is different than Kubiak. Oh and to add to it, I think Kubiak should turn over play calling duties to JR and concentrate more on being the HC and managing all situations versus paying to much attention to calling plays.
Old 11-13-2008   #27
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mcnair
the players have to do it out on the field and they know that they're held accountable for that.
Nah, c'mon you guys. This is clearly a case of Bobert coming across a chance to use some of his "words of the day" from the little calendar. Nobody in the Texans' organization knows what accountability is...
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2008   #28
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
McNair isn't an owner who likes to make major decisions during a season. When a move seemed likely in 2005 as the team sank to the bottom of the NFL with a 2-14 record, McNair waited until after the season finale to fire Dom Capers.
I'm of the mind that if it is broke...you deal with it now. Who really cares about how your franchise looks to the media and the fans if you make a move in the middle of the season? Newsflash....they are laughing at you Bob. Waiting till the end of the season to get rid of RS isn't making you look any classier. Firing RS right now does two things. It sends a message to the players that we won't put up with mediocrity and once you fire RS you go into the locker room and tell everyone your game is on film and YOU are next if you don't get it in gear. That's how you motivate these rich players who are just going thru the motions trying to avoid injury so they can cash their lofty paychecks. You don't run a football team like the accounting department Bob. Football seasons are a sprint...not a marathon.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #29
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Gah, this RJ blog post is a pile of rancid goo.

Quote:
I still say Bob McNair gets it. I think he's every bit as upset about this sorry, no-account football team as you are. I think in his heart of heart he's coming to grips with the notion that Gary Kubiak isn't the right guy.

He's just not the type to lose his cool in public. He's not going to tell the world what he's really thinking. He's also going to give this coaching staff every chance to succeed.

I'm guessing he knows that three years is enough time to get a football team on the right road. He sees what the Dolphins, Falcons and Ravens have done in a short period of time.

RJ hates Kubiak. He won't admit to that. He has hated him ever since he didn't pick Young or Bush. He had a blog post during the middle of a game demanding Kubiak get fired last year but then he erased it and then apologized for losing it. To do some sort of touchy feely *thought piece* guessing about what McNair might be thinking is throwup worthy and how maybe McNair doesn't believe in Kubiak and wants to can him after the season is totally foofy.

What sort of football analysis is this?

I mean, if RJ wants to argue that Kubiak should be fired then just be man enough to make that argument.
Old 11-13-2008   #30
Polo

To me it is sounds like McNair has already made up his mind on Kubiak and next season...

Sounds like some position coaches and RS may get the axe tho'
Old 11-13-2008   #31
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm of the mind that if it is broke...you deal with it now. Who really cares about how your franchise looks to the media and the fans if you make a move in the middle of the season? Newsflash....they are laughing at you Bob. Waiting till the end of the season to get rid of RS isn't making you look any classier. Firing RS right now does two things. It sends a message to the players that we won't put up with mediocrity and once you fire RS you go into the locker room and tell everyone your game is on film and YOU are next if you don't get it in gear. That's how you motivate these rich players who are just going thru the motions trying to avoid injury so they can cash their lofty paychecks. You don't run a football team like the accounting department Bob. Football seasons are a sprint...not a marathon.
Exactly.

Who else on this board has their boss (at work) come up and say "Well, you're doing poorly at your job...BUT you stay on until the end of the year!"

Bob McNair is trying to APPEAR to be the greatest guy in the whole wide world, and it's insulting to fans of this team. Throw in the ridiculous paychecks those guys get, and the ever-present revolving door of coaching opportunities that they have because they are "in the circle" now, and it makes a fan very upset to see McNair do this.

Should it happen to every player or coach? No. But there are some players (Weaver, for example) and coaches (Richard Smith) who have had enough time and enough chances to show they belong. Something is very wrong when Darius Walker is released and Anthony Weaver is retained. Forget depth on the d-line vs. depth at RB...I'm about keeping those who bust their tail and show some consistency (in a positive way) on the field. I don't remember Darius being hurt all that much. I don't remember Darius putting the ball on the ground. I do remember Darius seemingly OK with being dumped and added over and over, with no real shot at serious playing time.

Kubiak has a funny way of determining who is in his graces and who isn't. He's the head coach, and he ought to be beating down McNair's door saying "You want me to coach this team? You want results? My offense is OK, but my defense is allowing 30 points a game. That's not helping this t-e-a-m, Bob. I need to drop the dead weight and get a BETTER d-coordinator in here RIGHT NOW!"

There were laughable defensive playcalls all game long last Sunday. So much of this team's problems is in the area of defensive strategy, and it's affecting the whole team.

The NFL is like the mafia, I guess. Some guys can't be whacked because they're "made." I can't figure out any other reason as to why in a 16-game season an owenr or head coach is sooooo touchy about even considering the option of firing someone mid-season. It's a 16-game season, and it's lost by the midway point if you're not careful.

Some have "it" and some don't. Our d-coordinator doesn't have "it," and our HC is seriously on the edge also.
Old 11-13-2008   #32
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Gah, this RJ blog post is a pile of rancid goo.
The department of redundancy department congratulates and lauds you on your insightful and perceptive comment.
Old 11-13-2008   #33
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What he said

The part that bothers me is when he talks about that the players play for him or like him or whatever. I don't want them to have a best friend. I want them to get their ass chewed and stop making dumb penalties, fumbling or missing assignments. Only when they fear their job will this happen.
Old 11-13-2008   #34
Sal Rosenberg
All Pro

Rep Power: 111 Sal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respected

Megan Man-hole is worthless!
Sal Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #35
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Exactly.

Who else on this board has their boss (at work) come up and say "Well, you're doing poorly at your job...BUT you stay on until the end of the year!"
Happens all the time in the real world. They go under then names of "performance improvement plans" or something else fairly innocent sounding, but essentially they are saying accomplish this or you will be fired in ____ months.( I am going to take it as a good thing that you are unware of these things)

That said, there are obvious difference between a generic corporate job where it is not clear how you influence the bottom line and Richard Smith where it is pretty clear that the defense has not improved. Still not convinced that getting another DC on a losing team for 7 games really sends a message. When they fire smith I want to see a DC who has a clear plan of scheme and an understanding of what type players he needs to accomplish improving the defense, not just someone promoted to see if they can do the job.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #36
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
I'm of the mind that if it is broke...you deal with it now.
So we should fire Sage then.
Old 11-13-2008   #37
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
What he said

The part that bothers me is when he talks about that the players play for him or like him or whatever. I don't want them to have a best friend. I want them to get their ass chewed and stop making dumb penalties, fumbling or missing assignments. Only when they fear their job will this happen.
Kubiak chews their ass. A lot. The players like playing for him because they respect what he does and they think that he doesn't chew them unfairly. He's a likeable guy.

Other than the last game, the penalties have not been an issue for this team. I think due to the nature of the penalities of the last game, that particular crew might have been a little flag happy. For example, holding happens all the time. It's a discretionary call. The call on OD may be considered by some to be pretty ticky tack because it was away from the ball. Anthony Weaver gets two defensive holding calls for things he does every week.

Richard Smith chews ass way more than Kubiak. The problem with him is that the players do not like or respect him. He comes across as a nut. Coaches need to figure out what motivates different players--Marciano is very good at that--he will chew on guys but they love him because he isn't always like that.
Old 11-13-2008   #38
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Happens all the time in the real world. They go under then names of "performance improvement plans" or something else fairly innocent sounding, but essentially they are saying accomplish this or you will be fired in ____ months.( I am going to take it as a good thing that you are unware of these things)

That said, there are obvious difference between a generic corporate job where it is not clear how you influence the bottom line and Richard Smith where it is pretty clear that the defense has not improved. Still not convinced that getting another DC on a losing team for 7 games really sends a message. When they fire smith I want to see a DC who has a clear plan of scheme and an understanding of what type players he needs to accomplish improving the defense, not just someone promoted to see if they can do the job.

Yeah, the fear I have is that you get an interim guy like Frank Bush, maybe they play a little better and then they figure that Bush is the answer, ta da. Or that the change in DC is an excuse for continuing bad play.

I don't have a strong view one way or another. The Texans don't have a bye that would make such a transition any easier. After the season, you can have a bit more breathing room getting the guy you really want.
Old 11-13-2008   #39
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, the fear I have is that you get an interim guy like Frank Bush, maybe they play a little better and then they figure that Bush is the answer, ta da. Or that the change in DC is an excuse for continuing bad play.
Is it just totally unheard of that standards be set? I'm sure there can be some attainable goal for Bush (or whoever) to go from interim to fo-real.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #40
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203861 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
What he said

Sounds like McNair has the same misguided principles that so many parents these days have with their kids...................the lack of consequences...............immediate consequences..........so that there is that unquestionable temporal ASSOCIATION with the behavior and its consequences.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read