Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-12-2008   #1
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default McNair maybe tired of losing?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6109134.html

Quote:
Texans owner Bob McNair is talking only about the short-term these days. It's about the upcoming days, not weeks, for an owner becoming impatient with the Texans' lack of success.

With strong playoff hopes entering the season, McNair is disappointed with the Texans' 3-6 record. While he continues to offer his support, there are no long-term promises being made to Texans coach Gary Kubiak or his staff.

"Our responsibility, my responsibility is to try and get an organization to perform and to get people in place who are capable of performing," McNair said Wednesday after practice. "And I think we have people in place. As we go forward, are we going to tweak our roster? Yes. If we have a chance to upgrade our coaches, will we do that? Yes. We'll always do that."

McNair isn't an owner who likes to make major decisions during a season. When a move seemed likely in 2005 as the team sank to the bottom of the NFL with a 2-14 record, McNair waited until after the season finale to fire Dom Capers.

"We evaluate all of our people at the end of the year," McNair said. "This is just like a football game. You're in the game until the final whistle and you have to play it that way, and if you don't you're going to be surprised many times."

McNair is remaining optimistic with seven games remaining in the season. He talks to Kubiak almost daily, and is often around the team, either in practice or in the postgame locker room. He tries to gauge the atmosphere and the mood, and he still sees the players rallying around Kubiak.

The results in the upcoming weeks will not be determined by Kubiak's performance alone. McNair wants to see the players step up.

"He's a very capable coach," McNair said. "He's smart. He's hard-working. The players relate to him. They play hard for him. They respect him and he treats them fairly. And those are the things that players are looking for and really that's all you can ask of your coach.

"Beyond that, the players have to do it out on the field and they know that they're held accountable for that. So it's a difficult time for us because we all thought we'd be doing better than we are. So we just have to go out there, and our players have just got to play better."

A victory Sunday would be a franchise first against the Colts in Indianapolis, a place where the Texans' average margin of defeat is 19 points.

They need to win five of their next seven to equal last season's 8-8 finish. Only three of their final seven opponents currently boast winning records, but four of them were in the playoffs last season.

Four of their final seven games are also on the road, which doesn't bode well for a team that hasn't won away from home since they beat Oakland on Nov. 4 last season.

McNair wants to see that road drought end. And he hopes it happens Sunday.

"I'm impatient," McNair said. "I have been patient, but I'm impatient. I thought we would be doing better at this point in time and we're not and I'm disappointed about it. So then the next question is, what are you going to do?

"Well, the first thing you can do is go out and win this Sunday. That's what you can do. We're not playing anybody else but Indianapolis this Sunday. We're not playing the rest of our schedule. We're playing the Indianapolis Colts and that's what we have to focus on. And we know they're healthy, they're playing well and it's going to be a real challenge."
assuming the transcript from the media session will be on the official site before long, so we can post w/o Manfull's interference.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair maybe tired of losing?

Interesting. Are we seeing signs of life here?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #3
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

For McNair, those are pretty harsh words. Honestly, that is a little surprising...
Old 11-12-2008   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"We evaluate all of our people at the end of the year," McNair said. "This is just like a football game. You're in the game until the final whistle and you have to play it that way, and if you don't you're going to be surprised many times."

If it is like a football game, he might consider a halftime adjustment with his defensive coordinator.
Old 11-12-2008   #5
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

About damn time McNice caught up with the rest of us
Old 11-12-2008   #6
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
If it is like a football game, he might consider a halftime adjustment with his defensive coordinator.
Exactly, it's like pulling a player in the middle of the game that isn't producing.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he reads Texans Talk and saw my signature pic had changed.

I might be reaching there a bit but still....
Old 11-12-2008   #8
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
assuming the transcript from the media session will be on the official site before long, so we can post w/o Manfull's interference.
This is kind of a headscratcher to me...why do we need to worry about Manfull?
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #9
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think he reads Texans Talk and saw my signature pic had changed.

I might be reaching there a bit but still....
Maybe we could all be the TT GM and HC .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

We're all taught to be patient .......and good things will happen. Well, I don't think that it would be too difficult for any of us to look back in our personal experiences and find many examples where patience only resulted in an unfortunate waste of time. McNair is probably lamenting this very fact.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #11
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
This is kind of a headscratcher to me...why do we need to worry about Manfull?
I like reading the transcipt and/or listen to interviews w/o the filter of a reporter telling what was said. Large amount of the stuff argued about on this board is because the quote came through a reporter filter versus a clean understanding of what was said.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I like reading the transcipt and/or listen to interviews w/o the filter of a reporter telling what was said. Large amount of the stuff argued about on this board is because the quote came through a reporter filter versus a clean understanding of what was said.
Yeah. Things can read totally differently if you read a quote alongside other quotes.

For example, the other day someone made a comment on my blog that it was bad that Kubiak threw the DC under the bus. He thought that because he had read an RJ article that had the point of view that the DC needs to pack his bags and that Kubiak called him out.

But then when I gave him a link to the transcript, the commenter had a completely different impression.

Whether a story has a particular point of view or not, newspapers have limited space so a reporter HAS to pick and chose quotes. And what they find relevant may be different than what you find relevant.

I have told the Texans staff how much the fans appreciate the transcripts being online and I hope they continue to do so.
Old 11-12-2008   #13
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 136745 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

This team does need a shake up. A shake up in the form of a coach getting booted out the door.

Any ideas as to whom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.

Last edited by PapaL; 11-12-2008 at 09:35 PM.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #14
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
This team does need a shake up. A shake in the form of a coah getting booted out the door.

Any ideas as to whom?
Ooh ooh ooh! Pick me! Pick me!

Dom Capers?
Old 11-12-2008   #15
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 130706 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

If I was the owner, this whole coaching staff would be feeling some serious pressure.

I would be on the phone every day talking to Bill Cowher.

Show me some spit!
Old 11-12-2008   #16
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

My guess is Richard Smith will be shown the door on december 29th. There's no way anybody can justify keeping him. I think from there McNair makes it clear to Kubiak that next year is playoffs or bust. For someone like McNair so say those types of things, some changes are definitely about to be made.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Honestly, all this talk about changing coaches is great, but a new coach isn't going to change our #1 problem - Our QB gives the ball away. I suppose if I saw the play develop some questionable routes then maybe it could be the play calling, but the QB has just given the ball away stupidly. We can all say the coach should fix it, but how? I already know Sage and Schaub have been drilled about turnovers. If you listen to the players, they hem and haw around it, but they know the turnovers are coming from one spot, and they're not blaming the coaches.

Richard Smith needs to go, though, because he's needed to go for some time, and it's obvious he can't take our defense to the next level from a scheme standpoint.
Old 11-12-2008   #18
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105596 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think McNair will fire Kubes unless it starts hurting his walet. His a business man not Jerry Jones or the other owners that really care about the football aspect.

It seems the Texans are the opposite of the Steelers. More about money than football, at least at the top of the organization
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #19
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 130706 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

Richard Smith needs to go, though, because he's needed to go for some time, and it's obvious he can't take our defense to the next level from a scheme standpoint.
You said "Richard Smith" and "scheme" in the same sentence. lol
Old 11-12-2008   #20
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

ok we got the heart thumping agian thank u mcnair
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read