Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-29-2004   #1
dagr8whitehope
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to dagr8whitehope
Default Marlon McCree

what's up with marlon mcree, boy got mad props from EA on madden 04, so why is he not being mentioned at all as far as a starting gig? mcree seems like a lot of money just to keep around as a backup, so i'm thinking trade or something. if anybody knows anything, let me know because this has me a bit perplexed, thanks.
dagr8whitehope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004   #2
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

you can't base starting jobs on madden 04 ratings...however, if that is the route you wish to take, mccree is rated well (80), and coleman is rated better (86)...therefore, it is simple to see that coleman is a better choice for the starting fs spot...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004   #3
dagr8whitehope
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to dagr8whitehope
Default very true, but

what i was saying was that coleman might be able to play strong safety and mcree at free safety, that would give us a very athletic secondary. no doubt coleman's better rated, but when you transfer the ratings to safety, they are actually about equal, that's all i was saying. but as it stands, i can deal w/ coleman starting over mcree, it just seemed odd to have a player of his caliber around if he's not being used all the time.
Old 05-29-2004   #4
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

McCree only makes $628,000 this year.
Old 05-29-2004   #5
texans
Veteran

any chance he starts in 05 if we let colmen go
texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004   #6
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LiveForTheGame

Why would you let Coleman go? He's a veteran PRO BOWLER...unless his salary is really hurting the cap and other options for the Texans...doesn't make sense to let him go.
LiveForTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 156418 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Since when did $628,000 become too much of a cap issue? McCree's salary is fine. Also, Coleman isn't physical enough to play SS in my eyes. Coleman can make a solid conversion to FS but I want a big-time hitter at SS. Coleman has good ball skills and can play over the top of Robinson to give deep help as FS's often do. SS's contribute more to run support as a general rule.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-29-2004   #8
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

do we have a big hitter tho? brown ... eh. walker might be but his coverage skills might keep him from gettin a starting job. earl's injured. i'd let mccree & brown compete for the starting ss job. while mccree might not be as effective in the box, he should do well across the middle with coleman behind him. also on 2-deep formations we know that mccree has the speed to keep up. he also provides a more than capable backup should any db go down, or say if coleman was used as a nickel cb & mccree fs it would be a big upgrade over wright at cb & coleman at fs.

IMO
Old 05-29-2004   #9
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8whitehope
what's up with marlon mcree, boy got mad props from EA on madden 04, so why is he not being mentioned at all as far as a starting gig? mcree seems like a lot of money just to keep around as a backup, so i'm thinking trade or something. if anybody knows anything, let me know because this has me a bit perplexed, thanks.
As previously mentioned. McRee is not getting much money, and the Texans can shift Coleman to the nickel CB spot in the 3-WR sets. I must admit. I thought Faggins and Wright did a good job when Glenn was out.
Old 05-29-2004   #10
Texansbacker
Veteran

I think it is great to have the depth for multiple formations and options. So much better than Matt Stevens and this rookie or that.

I agree with V that the SS position must be a big time hitter, like Blaine Bishop or Ronnie Lott. It creates a much different defensive atmosphere and one that is most pleasing to Texans Football.

Eric Brown has made some big hits. Problem with Eric is that he is listed at 210 pounds and that is too light. He needs to have at least 220 pounds on his 6 foot frame to put a little more punch in his pop.

In reality it is all about the want to and if Eric doesn't want to create an atmosphere of knowing that wideouts will get hit and hit hard if they come across the middle and running backs will be punished on sweeps.

If not, then I am sure Ramon Walker or Glen Earl are going to give it their best.
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004   #11
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I agree that having depth is never a problem at any position in the NFL. Especially considering safeties tend to not make as much money as many other positions (ie their fellow secondary members CB's). We all must understand that Coleman is learning a new position after all his years in the NFL, and that is not an easy feat. Mcree will probably be back at FS at some of the more crucial portions of games early on in the season until Dom is comfortable with Coleman's ability back there. Everyone seems pretty down on Brown. Granted he's not an All Pro quality SS, but he does do a decent job back there at SS. Every team can't have a Roy Williams, Ed Reed, or John Lynch patrolling back there. A secondary's mentality is not soley created by the SS. If you have a bunch of tough hard hitting CB's or an especially tough FS (ie Roy) it can strike just as much fear into wideouts venturing into their territory. All I am saying is that Charlie and Dom have done a good job thus far plugging up weak points in our team, and Brown looks like hes doing a decent job back there at SS till DC & CC can fix the position for good.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004   #12
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well the main thing here is that we have the quality depth to be having this conversation...which is great...coleman is the clear cut winner at FS while brown vs. mccree could be an interesting position battle during the training camps...as for the nickelback is concerned i still think you'll see wright out there...he is an experienced veteran who played great when glenn was on IR
Old 05-30-2004   #13
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

In our pass happy division we might go with McCree at SS. Better cover skills than Brown, but Brown is porbably better in run support. Probably will depend on how confident the Coaches are that we can stop the run to that side, which I guess will boil down to Mr. Babin's play.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004   #14
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

McCree will provide us with an excellent backup safety. McCree will provide us with excellent depth at the safety positions and with a year under his belt under our defense, he will be a better player overall.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read