Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Give Kubes Another Year? II
Yes...Give Him Another Year 74 81.32%
NO...Turn The Page And Move On 17 18.68%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2008   #1
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 612 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Poll: Kubes One More Year? II

Save your opinions as they are all over in other threads. I thought it would be fun to see how the results turn out now.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Poll: Kubes One More Year? II

Fire 'em!!

Let's just keep burnin' through coaches at a clip of every 3 1/2 years until someone sticks...
Old 11-12-2008   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Objection, Turn the Page is a good song. It may cause confusion.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #4
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Hoover View Post
Save your opinions as they are all over in other threads. I thought it would be fun to see how the results turn out now.
It is human nature to stick with your initial choice...because we are too prideful to admit that we made a wrong choice.

The writing is on the wall: Kubiak is toast. This is building, and will reach a boiling point about this time next season. And THEN people will start voting differently. That's how I was with David Carr: I stuck by the guy for a long time because I couldn't bring myself to believe that he was "that" bad, but in the last season? I saw it. I couldn't stay aboard the Carr Wagon any longer.

A lot of people like Kubiak for who he is, etc., and I can see that. That's fine. He did bring us out of a deep hole. I see that. But the overall impact he's had on this team, starting with a dreadful choice for d-coordinator in Richard Smith, is underwhelming. Like I have said: Kubiak might be able to turn it around if he cans Richard Smith...but will he? Prolly not. And he still has a lot of issues himself with consistently poor gameday decisions and management problems to overcome.

It starts on the field, and it spreads to the fans, and then the noise of it all is too much after awhile. Believing in David Carr for so long has taught me this: Today's NFL has a brief window of opportunity and a low tolerance for those who can't produce in time. And time is of the essence in a 16-game season.
Old 11-12-2008   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

This team is way too soft for my tastes but I don't think Kubiak will be fired this year. McNair is gonna wait till we start having the blackouts because he is slow to pull the trigger on all his decisions.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

He wont get canned. McNair will give him at LEAST 1 more year.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #7
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If out of the remaining 7 games, we have 4 or 5 games that look like Sunday, his chances of increase greatly of being fired.

If we play more like we did most other weeks, showing some things and being competitve, he is probably retailed. My money is on this 2nd option versus and full out implosion for the last half of the year.
ArlingtonTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-12-2008   #8
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I say keep him and if he loses 3 more games he needs to interview, I doubt he would be called by any other team.
Old 11-12-2008   #9
rdroppa
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 rdroppa could be on the next Madden coverrdroppa could be on the next Madden coverrdroppa could be on the next Madden coverrdroppa could be on the next Madden coverrdroppa could be on the next Madden coverrdroppa could be on the next Madden cover
Wink Re: Poll: Kubes One More Year? II

He could always replace TORO....and by the way does anyone hate those all RED uniforms as much as I do?
rdroppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #10
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing bothering me is if we give him another year to figure out that he's not our coach we'll be looking for a new coach for the 2010-11 season. Okay then new coach brings in "his guys" for a year. 2011-12. They get better for a year. 2012-13. Make or break for the new coach is 2013-14 season....rinse and repeat...

...or we could start showing accountability immediately.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #11
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1688 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

You don't fire him unless you have Bill Cowher lined up as a replacement.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe if we brought Capers back as DC........

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #13
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Maybe if we brought Capers back as DC........
Good thing you said DC and not HC...
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #14
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

If you fire Kubiak, who replaces him??
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
McNair is gonna wait till we start having the blackouts because he is slow to pull the trigger on all his decisions.
So is Kubiak. It's a match made in football purgatory.
Old 11-12-2008   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

its disturbing us peons to hear such talk from our mods
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #17
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I give him one more year if he can win 5 of the next 7 to at least finish 8-8 again. But regardless of what I think and want, we have Kubes for at least another year.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
This team is way too soft for my tastes but I don't think Kubiak will be fired this year. McNair is gonna wait till we start having the blackouts because he is slow to pull the trigger on all his decisions.
I vote for this one. Also, I can see Mr. McNair bitting the bullet on one year on the contract, not two. Everyone was on board as I remember it, MS, the offensive line, defensive switch.

This is a young team and they had to reach for some guys to fill in all of the gaps. Either way it goes down....I'm thinking we'll see him picking players next draft. So the first thing this new guy has to be is a Zone blocking scheme expert... or we're in another five year plan. The other big question is do the Smiths go out the door with him ?
Old 11-14-2008   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
It is human nature to stick with your initial choice...because we are too prideful to admit that we made a wrong choice.

The writing is on the wall: Kubiak is toast. This is building, and will reach a boiling point about this time next season. And THEN people will start voting differently. That's how I was with David Carr: I stuck by the guy for a long time because I couldn't bring myself to believe that he was "that" bad, but in the last season? I saw it. I couldn't stay aboard the Carr Wagon any longer.

A lot of people like Kubiak for who he is, etc., and I can see that. That's fine. He did bring us out of a deep hole. I see that. But the overall impact he's had on this team, starting with a dreadful choice for d-coordinator in Richard Smith, is underwhelming. Like I have said: Kubiak might be able to turn it around if he cans Richard Smith...but will he? Prolly not. And he still has a lot of issues himself with consistently poor gameday decisions and management problems to overcome.

It starts on the field, and it spreads to the fans, and then the noise of it all is too much after awhile. Believing in David Carr for so long has taught me this: Today's NFL has a brief window of opportunity and a low tolerance for those who can't produce in time. And time is of the essence in a 16-game season.
Three GD coaches in eight years ? I 've seen manics more stable than that.
Old 11-14-2008   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Three GD coaches in eight years ? I 've seen manics more stable than that.
Crazy? I'll show you crazy. Here are the last 7 (really 6) head coaches who began their stint with 3 non-winning seasons (or more), and kept their job the following year:

Mike Nolan - 49ers -16-32 from '05-'07, fired mid season in '08 going 2-7
Dom Capers - Texans -16-32 from '02-'04, fired after a 2-14 season in '05
Bruce Coslet* - Bengals - 14-34 from '97-'99, fired after starting 0-3 in Y2K
Jeff Fisher - Oilers - 31-33 from '95-'98, AFC Championship in '99
David Shula - Bengals (again) - 18-46 from '92-'95, fired in '96 going 1-6
Bill Belichick - Browns - 20-28 from '91-93, went 11-5 in '94, fired after going 5-11 in '95
Bruce Coslet (again) - Jets - 18-30 from '90-'92, fired after an 8-8 year in '93

*Coslet had a 7-2 record in '96 as interim head coach

So the Texans would be in the rarefied air of the Bengals if Kubiak is retained after a 3rd consecutive non-winning season.

"But what about Jeff Fisher? The Oilers kept him, and were rewarded with a trip to the Super Bowl." A couple of points. One, Fisher had (3) break even seasons, following a 7-9 record in his first full season. Two, Bud Adams couldn't afford to fire Fisher during the Tennessee Vagabond era. Other than the TV contract, Adams had no revenue stream playing as a lame duck in the Astrodome, then the Liberty Bowl, and finally at Vanderbilt. Fisher was the lowest paid head coach in the league. Adams had to keep him.

"Belichick. The Browns definitely made a mistake firing that guy." Maybe. But that '05 year was a tough one, once the move to Baltimore was announced. And the fact is that without Tom Brady, Belichick's record isn't so hot.

Denny Green. Dave McGinnis. Greg Williams. George Seifert. Dave Campo. Coaches get fired after 3 bad seasons. Marinelli and Edwards are sure to follow. Nothing maniacal about that. Sometimes, a good coach will get thrown out with the bath water. Kubiak is a good coach. Just not a good head coach.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read