Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-11-2008   #1
Holden135
Veteran

Default 2009 Restructuring Plan

Hey everybody, this is my first post on this board, I have been a Texan fan since day one and have season tickets. I have some ideas on what the organization should do going forward and want your thougts. This may be a little long so bare with me.

Coaching:
I will start by saying I am a Gary Kubiak fan. Im not saying I don't disagree with some of his moves but I like how he has built our offense. I believe the 09' season will be make or break for him. As far as defensive coordinator, I believe we should dump Smith immediately to see what Bush can do. 6 or 7 games may not be long enough to see what a dc has but we can get a good idea if he is good enough for next season.

Free Agency:
First and foremost we must lock up our core players. We need to resign D. Rob and give Demeco a long term deal. We also need to lock up Owen. After that here is the list of positions I would look to fill through free agency.

DT: We need a big and strong DT that can eat up 2 or 3 blocks in running situations to give opportunities for the lbs to make plays. He doesn't have to be a pass rusher, just a first or second down player. I would not draft a dt early because they take a few years to build the size and strength necessary to play the position. I wasn't a fan of the Amobi pick because the kid was only 19 and being asked to play a mans position.

G/C: We are getting beat up in the interior of our o-line and it just needs to stop. Myers and Briesel lack to strength to hold large DT's. This is another position I am not a fan of using an early draft pick on because it takes time for o-linemen to develop in the nfl and I am not interested in waiting on a contender.

DB: This is one position I would look to open the pocket book on. I believe DRob will be back to 100% next year but I am not sold on our #2 dbs. Maybe Bennett wakes up or maybe Molden develops but I would much rather them play as nickel db's for now. The way the nfl goes now, you have to have 3 solid db's anyways.

RB: We need to find a RELIABLE back that can compliment Slaton. I would look for someone with a little size to come in on short yardage situations. Green is servicable when healthy but we just can't go another year with a back up rb that plays 7 or 8 games a year.

Draft: Assuming previous positions have been filled.
First Round: LB
I would look at the LB from USC, Maluga (Im sure I spelled that wrong). We could either move him to outside backer or move Demeco to outside. Either way we need some playmakers on defense. We do not force enough turnovers and this has to change to have a formidable defense.
Second Round: S/De
I would go for BPA at either position. I know we have wasted a number of picks on dline in recent years but that is a sunk cost. We must build going forward and frankly we don't put enough pressure on opposing qb's. If a top safety falls we can get that playmaker at safety that we have never had.
Third Round: S/DE
Draft the position we did not take in the 2nd round.
Fourth Round: QB
I am still on the Shaub bandwagon, I will elaborate on this in a little while. I don't see the texans keeping sage beyond the 09' season so at the very least we will need someone that has been groomed to be Shaubs back up. If Shaub fails in 09' we will have someone in line to fill in.
Fifth Round through Seventh Round: BPA/add depth
The late rounds are too difficult to predict because it is nearly impossible to know who will be left. These players are also long shots at best to make any serious impacts on the team. We can look into finding players to groom for the future.

Reasons for keeping Schaub:
I know I may get flack for this but I'm gonna say it. Our offense has never been as potent as it is now. Our passing offense is among the best in the league. I understand Schaub has made numerous bad decisions but he has been a major reason our offense is ranked so high. Our oline has not done anything to help his health or turnover problems. In the offseason Schaub must get in the gym and put on some muscle. This will help him stay healthy and hold on to the ball. If he can build his strength the hits won't take as much of a toll on him and he shouldn't fumble as much either. Carr took way more hits than Schaub and he was very durable. The reason is that Carr was in tremendous shape. As for the interceptions I think this is something he and Kubiak need to review the entire offseason. He needs to be a student of the game and work on reading coverages better.

Basically this could be the most important offseason in team history. I know we say this every year but there will be multiple careers and jobs on the line.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #2
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: 2009 Restructuring Plan

I can't believe I am saying this to a fan of Kubiak, but I agree with about 95% of your post. I may think Kubiak needs to go just like Smith, but i agree with your assessment in most of the other areas. I would like to keep Schaub too but only if he renegotiates his deal. We can't give $20 million guaranteed to a guy that can't stay on the field. Simple economics.
Old 11-11-2008   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Great post, and I agree 99%. The only change I would make is switching the draft order around, so that we target a Safety in round 1.

Just out curiosity, if its your first post, why do you have 250 posts?
Old 11-11-2008   #4
Holden135
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
I can't believe I am saying this to a fan of Kubiak, but I agree with about 95% of your post. I may think Kubiak needs to go just like Smith, but i agree with your assessment in most of the other areas. I would like to keep Schaub too but only if he renegotiates his deal. We can't give $20 million guaranteed to a guy that can't stay on the field. Simple economics.
I think that is a good idea. It may be tough to do because the ball is in Schaubs court but if he is a team player he would restructure his contract based on performance or games played.
Old 11-11-2008   #5
Holden135
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Great post, and I agree 99%. The only change I would make is switching the draft order around, so that we target a Safety in round 1.

Just out curiosity, if its your first post, why do you have 250 posts?
I wouldn't be opposed to getting a safety with our first pick. I wouldn't do it if we had a very high pick because I don't think there are any safetys coming out next year worth a top 10 pick but if we improve over the next 7 games and pick somewhere near the middle of the draft the safety out of usc, mays would be a good pick.

As for the 250 posts, I used to post on a texans message board a few years ago and they restructured it. It required you reactivating your screen name and me being the lazy person I am, i never did it. I guess this is the site that they restructured the board I used to post on.
Old 11-11-2008   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263877 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden135 View Post
As for the 250 posts, I used to post on a texans message board a few years ago and they restructured it. It required you reactivating your screen name and me being the lazy person I am, i never did it. I guess this is the site that they restructured the board I used to post on.
I went through that myself, but I lost all my post count. Not that it matters much. Good post though, I like Kubiak myself, but I'm not so sure about Schaub. Howere Schaub is what we got and realisticly he's not going anywhere exept starting for the Texans next season.

Like most folks on this board, the sooner Richard Smith is gone the better.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Welcome to the jungle. I think we need the players we have to play solid consistent ball. Jacoby Jones for example. Looks great then like a high schooler. Okam needs to come to work every play. I turned off the last game in 3rd quarter. First time I ever did that, even with the Oilers. We have enough good players and a few exceptional ones that the team can be better. Hang the Ws for now just play 4 solid Qs.
Old 11-11-2008   #8
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali4Real View Post
I'd like to consider drafting Taylor Mays of USC as a SS or William Moore from Missouri another SS. The Chung guy from Oregon is another good player we should consider.

As for who me should draft, i have my eyes on Duke Robinson, a mssive guard who weighs around 330-Lbs the last time I checked and he would be a great guard for us.

:mshadows: = Arctic Monkeys
didn't you get the memo? were running a 'scheme' that isn't traditional so big guys can't play in our 'system'. we have to redraft our whole OL to fit the scheme but of course by the time they get the system working, the orchestrators of the new system will be fired and new guys will come in with a different and more 330lb friendly system and you will have to redraft/develop the whole thing to suit a more traditional blocking scheme. then so on and so on and so on.

Just run the freakin ball behind the big guys. this cut blocking/zone blocking scheme is just too damn inconsistent and doesn't work well against good defenses.
Old 11-11-2008   #9
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
didn't you get the memo? were running a 'scheme' that isn't traditional so big guys can't play in our 'system'. we have to redraft our whole OL to fit the scheme but of course by the time they get the system working, the orchestrators of the new system will be fired and new guys will come in with a different and more 330lb friendly system and you will have to redraft/develop the whole thing to suit a more traditional blocking scheme. then so on and so on and so on.

Just run the freakin ball behind the big guys. this cut blocking/zone blocking scheme is just too damn inconsistent and doesn't work well against good defenses.
I think you can get away with smaller OT's because DE's are usually smaller . The catch is Brown , what if he's not the real deal and Oher or the other elite LT is there ? What if you decide Brown is good enough ... I'm drafting the strongest center there in round 2 or 3 .
Old 11-11-2008   #10
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden135 View Post
Hey everybody, this is my first post on this board, I have been a Texan fan since day one and have season tickets. I have some ideas on what the organization should do going forward and want your thougts. This may be a little long so bare with me.

Coaching:
I will start by saying I am a Gary Kubiak fan. Im not saying I don't disagree with some of his moves but I like how he has built our offense. I believe the 09' season will be make or break for him. As far as defensive coordinator, I believe we should dump Smith immediately to see what Bush can do. 6 or 7 games may not be long enough to see what a dc has but we can get a good idea if he is good enough for next season.

Free Agency:
First and foremost we must lock up our core players. We need to resign D. Rob and give Demeco a long term deal. We also need to lock up Owen. After that here is the list of positions I would look to fill through free agency.

DT: We need a big and strong DT that can eat up 2 or 3 blocks in running situations to give opportunities for the lbs to make plays. He doesn't have to be a pass rusher, just a first or second down player. I would not draft a dt early because they take a few years to build the size and strength necessary to play the position. I wasn't a fan of the Amobi pick because the kid was only 19 and being asked to play a mans position.

G/C: We are getting beat up in the interior of our o-line and it just needs to stop. Myers and Briesel lack to strength to hold large DT's. This is another position I am not a fan of using an early draft pick on because it takes time for o-linemen to develop in the nfl and I am not interested in waiting on a contender.

DB: This is one position I would look to open the pocket book on. I believe DRob will be back to 100% next year but I am not sold on our #2 dbs. Maybe Bennett wakes up or maybe Molden develops but I would much rather them play as nickel db's for now. The way the nfl goes now, you have to have 3 solid db's anyways.

RB: We need to find a RELIABLE back that can compliment Slaton. I would look for someone with a little size to come in on short yardage situations. Green is servicable when healthy but we just can't go another year with a back up rb that plays 7 or 8 games a year.

Draft: Assuming previous positions have been filled.
First Round: LB
I would look at the LB from USC, Maluga (Im sure I spelled that wrong). We could either move him to outside backer or move Demeco to outside. Either way we need some playmakers on defense. We do not force enough turnovers and this has to change to have a formidable defense.
Second Round: S/De
I would go for BPA at either position. I know we have wasted a number of picks on dline in recent years but that is a sunk cost. We must build going forward and frankly we don't put enough pressure on opposing qb's. If a top safety falls we can get that playmaker at safety that we have never had.
Third Round: S/DE
Draft the position we did not take in the 2nd round.
Fourth Round: QB
I am still on the Shaub bandwagon, I will elaborate on this in a little while. I don't see the texans keeping sage beyond the 09' season so at the very least we will need someone that has been groomed to be Shaubs back up. If Shaub fails in 09' we will have someone in line to fill in.
Fifth Round through Seventh Round: BPA/add depth
The late rounds are too difficult to predict because it is nearly impossible to know who will be left. These players are also long shots at best to make any serious impacts on the team. We can look into finding players to groom for the future.

Reasons for keeping Schaub:
I know I may get flack for this but I'm gonna say it. Our offense has never been as potent as it is now. Our passing offense is among the best in the league. I understand Schaub has made numerous bad decisions but he has been a major reason our offense is ranked so high. Our oline has not done anything to help his health or turnover problems. In the offseason Schaub must get in the gym and put on some muscle. This will help him stay healthy and hold on to the ball. If he can build his strength the hits won't take as much of a toll on him and he shouldn't fumble as much either. Carr took way more hits than Schaub and he was very durable. The reason is that Carr was in tremendous shape. As for the interceptions I think this is something he and Kubiak need to review the entire offseason. He needs to be a student of the game and work on reading coverages better.

Basically this could be the most important offseason in team history. I know we say this every year but there will be multiple careers and jobs on the line.
Good assessment. The only parts I can nitpick is the draft order. I'm in the camp that says draft a stud FS first - unless, by some miracle Orakpo is available when we draft. I think he'd make an outstanding complement to Mario.

I also like the idea of grooming a Schaub-replacement-unit. I'm thinking he could come as early as the 3rd rd just to show Matt he's not as cemented into that spot as he might think. Sage gets to come to camp but he has to really play lights out to earn his spot back - he's got a ton of "demerits" to wash away.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with alot of what the OP said. I wanna see us make a run at Nnambii Asmuagurekja;lsdnvbl;adubnvl;,sfn and Albert "El Tigre" Haynesworth. In the draft, 2 OLB's, 2 Safties, 2 guards, a center, a de, a project qb, like Techs Gram Harrel, and thats about it. Keep Schuab and groom Harrel until Schaub needs to go, or he's your back up for the future. A wide reciever who has raw speed you can stash on the pactice squad and we are good.

Last edited by BigBull17; 11-12-2008 at 11:13 AM.
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the defensive unit needs addressed first & foremost. is it scheme, coaching or personel? in one year its been proven by teams, Miami, Atlanta, Minnesota, Baltimore, that you can turn around a franchise culture & drasticly improve a defense. just using these four teams its evenly split between schemes 4-3 or 3-4. the Texans have good positional coaches in Franklin & Rhodes but frankly after 7 years the play from the secondary despite emphasis both in free agency, trades & the draft have been dissapointing, so that means Hoke needs re-evaluated. Of course directions all come from DC Richard Smith, more than anyone the writing is on the wall. once the Texans resolve these issues internally, only then can they pursue players via free agency & the draft.

the offensive side, other than QB issues like protection & running the ball seems like is developing at least some identity to build upon. Still need to upgrade interior of OL & add another RB to compliment Slaton. must interject this one thought here since it will not be received favorably, but I absoultly love Oklahoma State TE Brandon Pettigrew, he is the most complete TE I've seen coming out of College in the last ten years. he does everything include provide outstanding blocking ability both helping the LT protect the edge & creating running lanes or blocks downfield. then you add the offensive dynamcis he brings in must have conversion situations like 3rd downs & red zone effeciency and you have a player that has the flexability to help this team win games. he is a everydown player which should be the focus of whoever they draft.
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali4Real View Post
As for who me should draft, i have my eyes on Duke Robinson, a mssive guard who weighs around 330-Lbs the last time I checked and he would be a great guard for us.
Hell yes. Our athletic guys in the middle are just athletic enough to look like boys against men. We need a man in the middle, a big man. The other four guys can be fast and run around him as long as the guy he's stopping isn't blowing up the interior. Him in the first, maybe the center from Cal (i think) Mack and our line would be upgraded immensely.

The Texans need to make a run at a premier D-Line free agent. No time left to develop them, the guys that should be developed don't play well (T Johnson, Amobi Okoye) and other areas desperately need to be addressed.

Right now I would probably rate the Texans needs like so (assuming they take care of the D-Lineman in F/A): OL, OLB, S, big RB, QB
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #14
huckdabuck
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
The Texans need to make a run at a premier D-Line free agent. No time left to develop them, the guys that should be developed don't play well (T Johnson, Amobi Okoye) and other areas desperately need to be addressed.

No time to develop them? Are we 1 or 2 players away from being Super Bowl bound? Did I miss that memo? I like the idea of going after a proven commodity just as much as the next guy but it all comes down to the draft and who we pick. That is what is going to take this team to the post season, IMHO.
huckdabuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I put this together today: My Houston Texans roadmap: What the Texans need to do short and long term.

It is more of a macro view than a micro view. Some of the stuff will likely be familiar to people here, though some of it may be new.

I don't like to get too much into draft needs other than there are holes all over this team. Lots of make-do players. And then there are players who might be good if they were coached better.

I'd like to invite more constructive comments on there.
Old 11-12-2008   #16
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have looked through other threads to see if this has been posted, but this is the view from someone in a position to be more objective than we(as a whole) are feeling at the moment.

Quote:
12 Nov 2008

QUOTE: “In entering upon the great work before us, we anticipate no small amount of misconception, misrepresentation, and ridicule; but we shall use every instrumentality within our power to effect our object.” ~ Elizabeth Cady Stanton

FROM MEGAN MANFULL OF THE HOUSTON CHRONICLE… With Art Shell (Oakland) and Scott Linehan (St. Louis) already fired, eight continue working toward improving the franchises they each inherited — and retaining their jobs. Kubiak joined the Texans after they finished last in the league with a 2-14 record in 2005. He is still trying to lead the franchise to respectability. Since taking over, the Texans have gone 17-24 (.415 winning percentage). It’s the third-worst record among the remaining eight head coaches hired in 2006. Only Detroit’s Rod Marinelli (10-31, .244) and Kansas City’s Herm Edwards (14-27, .341) have lower winning percentages during that time frame. The Texans are less than a season removed from the best record (8-8) in franchise history, but the heat is on Kubiak, whose team is last in the AFC South at 3-6. Kubiak said his job security is the least of his concerns, though, as the team prepares to visit the Indianapolis Colts this weekend. “No, that would be very selfish of me to worry about myself,” Kubiak said. “I have a lot of people to worry about. I have a lot of coaches, a lot of players and a lot of people in this organization busting their tail, and I would be very selfish to worry about myself.”

The Texans are very close and they don’t need to make changes like some other teams, but they do need to make modifications to what they are doing in terms of procuring talent and developing toughness for their team. When you make a change, you have to way all the positives and negatives. I once worked for an owner (not the owner of the famous Hotel, that title is dictator) who would fire someone who did 25 things very well, and 3 things bad, and then hire someone who did those three things very well but only 10 other things well. So in essence he was down 15 and never improved his team. I believe the way to help the Texans is not to fire Gary Kubiak, but to help Gary. There needs to be a way to bring someone in with an objective opinion who is not promoting drastic change but finds solutions with in the current structure. I am a huge proponent of change, but it has to be the right change.

Which reminds me of a great lesson all NFL teams can learn before making a radical change, it’s called the “I Love Lucy Theory” (Yes, one day this week, The Tipper, Joe Fortenbaugh and I are going to come up with a glossary of all the theories, I promise). In one episode, Lucy is in a panic as she has dropped her wedding ring on the floor in the bedroom and cannot find it. When Ricky comes home, he finds Lucy on the floor in the living room looking around. He asks Lucy what she is doing, and she tells him she is looking for her wedding ring that she dropped in the bedroom. Ricky replies with confusion in his eyes, “Then why are you looking in the living room if you dropped it in the bedroom?” Lucy replies, because the light is better in here!!!! It might be easier to fire a coach, but that might not solve the problem. Don’t act like Lucy Houston
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...diner-news-59/
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I have looked through other threads to see if this has been posted, but this is the view from someone in a position to be more objective than we(as a whole) are feeling at the moment.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...diner-news-59/
Thanks for that link. I think it sums up at least my general thinking pretty well.
Old 11-12-2008   #18
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't Brandon Jacobs of the Giants a FA after this season? Zone-blocking or not, that is about as big (and fast) as they get in the backfield. The type of player we need to pount the ball in our division...
Old 11-12-2008   #19
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckdabuck View Post
No time to develop them? Are we 1 or 2 players away from being Super Bowl bound? Did I miss that memo? I like the idea of going after a proven commodity just as much as the next guy but it all comes down to the draft and who we pick. That is what is going to take this team to the post season, IMHO.
...I think everyone missed that memo. Probably because that's not what I'm saying. If I didn't make myself clear, I apologize but don't put words into my...uh...screen.

I just meant that the guys who should be developed (TJ) or close to it (Okoye) aren't playing well, especially not up to the status we deemed them worthy of.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #20
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I put this together today: My Houston Texans roadmap: What the Texans need to do short and long term.

It is more of a macro view than a micro view. Some of the stuff will likely be familiar to people here, though some of it may be new.

I don't like to get too much into draft needs other than there are holes all over this team. Lots of make-do players. And then there are players who might be good if they were coached better.

I'd like to invite more constructive comments on there.
This is exactly right and its why we will not be drafting certain positions like everyone here seems to want. We will be taking BPA with the exceptoin of few positions (WR, QB, FB these positions are the strength of the team) and that is exactly what we should do. You start drafting by saying we need to go safety first, de second then you are just screwing youreself.

Every year people start this and every year people are pissed that we didnt go after the position that they thought was in the most need. When this team is almost there and has very few needs we can draft that way as long as we are not passing up far superior talent to fill that need.

Now that i got that off my chest, here is what I think we should be looking at this offseason.

First we need to adress FA with the attitude that we are week up the middle on both sides of the LOS. It is paramount for any team to be able to control the LOS. I agree with the OP that top DT's are not easy to come by. This is why i would open the bank to Haynesworth. There is just to many pros to him on this team.

1.) He autamatically takes pressure off our best players by drawing double teams.
2.) He instantly improves our run defense which is giving up nearly 5 yards per attempt.
3.) He brings attitude and fire this defense is lacking.
4.) His age makes him a perfect fit with our young stars. They will be playing together through the primes of their careers.
5.) He auomatically extends Ryans career by keeping OL of him.
6.) I could go on and on but Ill just skip to the last and best one. We would be screwing Bud Adams and our biggest nemesis out of their best player.

Of course we need to resign our young players that are producing. OD and whoever else needs to be taken care of.

We need to cut the dead weight, Greenwood, the DE opposite Mario. I forget his name because i havent heard it called in so long. Throw in DC too. Bring in someone that will give this D a image.

In the draft try and get as many picks in the top four rounds we can because this is a deep draft and start filling holes with the best talent available.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read