Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-02-2005   #21
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

i would love to get one of the top O-linemen like ive been saying all season, but if that doesnt happen I would love to see us draft D. Thomas or a good d-lineman.
Old 01-02-2005   #22
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

On the Charley Casserly show (just finished), Casserly stated that we will have to take BPA in this draft and will have to make a trade if we want to fill a specific position. I assume this is because he considers the draft a weak one. You have to get 1st round talent with your first round pick. Picking for a need may not give us that where we are.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #23
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
I think we really need two starters with our first and second round picks. We are not good enough to draft people who won't contribute right away.
As much as we may be disappointed with the recent play of our team, we have progressed to a point where any second rounder we pick may not start or contribute much initially. Heck, you can say this for our first rounder, also.

Ngata is such a talent that he has as much a chance to contribute as anyone.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #24
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
On the Charley Casserly show (just finished), Casserly stated that we will have to take BPA in this draft and will have to make a trade if we want to fill a specific position. I assume this is because he considers the draft a weak one. You have to get 1st round talent with your first round pick. Picking for a need may not give us that where we are.

Ditto.....also did not sense urgency to pursue big time F/A's
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #25
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Casserly did mention that we might be looking for a couple of bargain basement FA's. I could see him making a run at Bubba Franks & an OL in free agency.

As for our 1st pick, Antaaj Hawthorne might be a solid pick. While we need to address depth & possibly upgrade a position or two on the OL, I feel that we need to get a big, strong NT that will demand a double team on every play.

I watched the Wisconsin game & Hawthorne was doubled on almost every play. When he wasn't doubled, he drove his man backwards everytime. He's a solid player that could make the entire defensive unit better by allowing us to move Payne over into Walker's slot.
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #26
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default scouting report on Antaaj Hawthorne

does anyone have a scouting report on Antaaj Hawthorne? some people seem to be pretty high on him, and i can not say i know very much about this guy. i am not very big on the dlinemen out of LSU. in fact im not really big on bass either. derrick johnson will be a nice nfl player, but i dont feel like he would fit us best. thanks for the scouting report and post more on this young man.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #27
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie
I watched the Wisconsin game & Hawthorne was doubled on almost every play. When he wasn't doubled, he drove his man backwards everytime. He's a solid player that could make the entire defensive unit better by allowing us to move Payne over into Walker's slot.
Antaaj made exactly zero plays in this game. He was handled by the Georgia line, as was Erasmus James. Georgia rushed for 196 yards. Ask yourself this, "why was David Pollack able to make plays against double teams, and these guys couldn't."
Old 01-03-2005   #28
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

carefull wags, I mean I saw the same thing as you did but College does not always easily translate to the NFL, din din din dahhhh. Antaaj Hawthorne would be an excellent pick as the Texans future two gap DT/NT if the #1 prospect at that position Haloti Ngata returns for his senior season. Erasmus James I was very impressed with even though he was effectivly handled (double & triple teamed) I think he will be the best DE rookie in a 4-3 next year in the NFL. And Pollack has outside linebacker in a 3-4 marked all over him, think of Babin as a poor mans Pollack, yeah in the right system he is going to be good, but not DE in a 4-3.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #29
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Antaaj made exactly zero plays in this game. He was handled by the Georgia line, as was Erasmus James. Georgia rushed for 196 yards. Ask yourself this, "why was David Pollack able to make plays against double teams, and these guys couldn't."
Wasn't Pollack hurt too? I thought I heard the announcers mention that a time or two. I know Erasmus James was still recovering from the injury he suffered to his leg earlier in the year against Purdue I think.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #30
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Wasn't Pollack hurt too?
Yea, he bumped knees with a guy in the first quarter. Still made gamechanging plays.
Old 01-03-2005   #31
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually, I believe he got in on the lone sack that Wisconsin got.

To answer your question, Pollack was operating on the outside of the line, while Hawthorne was working on the interior of the line. As you know, that's usually where the majority of the congestion is.

Other than that, you're right. He made no big plays. He did, however, force Georgia to tie up two players almost the entire game, just to block him. On those occasions when they didn't double team him, he pushed his blocker back into the pocket. The intent of my post was to point out his strength at the DT position & how that might benefit us.

The NT in the 3-4 rarely makes big plays. His job is to collapse the pocket & control the OL, while the DE's & LB's get all the glory plays. Look at any team in the NFL that runs the 3-4 & you'll see that they usually get about 30-40 tackles a year & maybe a couple of sacks, while other defensive players are consistently getting 60+ tackles a year.

While Pollack would allow us to move Wong into Foreman's slot, I doubt that we'll be drafting him, or even have a chance at him.

I truely believe that we need a strong, dominating NT to control the line & collapse the pocket. Getting a player of that caliber would allow us to move Payne over to Walker's spot & take him out of some of the congestion.

And that brings me to another concern I have. Walker is playing the DE position & only got 29 tackles & .5 sacks. That's pathetic from a player that's getting paid as much as he is. Payne (coming off of major surgery) had 51 tackles & 2 sacks, while Robaire (his 1st year in the 3-4) had 53 tackles & 2 sacks. We need to let Walker walk (pardon the pun) & resign Payne.
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #32
wags
Hall of Fame

I don't think we'll draft a DT in the first round, especially at 13. I'll be very disappointed if we do. I think we are going to re-sign Payne, and he'll do a good job. Casserly said we'll be drafting BPA with our first pick, and guys like Hawthorne or Ngata will not be the BPA.

I don't think we'll draft Pollack either, and I have never thought he would fit into our defense.

We probably won't release Walker because of the huge cap hit we would take.
Old 01-04-2005   #33
pskinny
Veteran

What about addressing the OL and DL in free agency, and drafting Mike Williams at 13?
pskinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read