Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2005   #41
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

and dont think free agents dont pay attention to how critical the home crowd is (or the media).

i'd imagine it might have some small bearing on a decission in limbo.
Old 01-02-2005   #42
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

No one would ever want to play in New York, Philly or New England ever again if that was a major factor.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #43
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

you only hear about the ones that signed. not the reasons of those who dont.
Old 01-02-2005   #44
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Speaking of quotes, read Billy Miller's quotes further down the page..

Then there's this gem by Steve McKinney:

(On if David Carr had an unusual amount of pressure on him today) ďNo, I know some guys were getting beat, but itís going to happen like that. I donít think that it was unusual.Ē
OK, when these guys think they did nothing wrong AND did well protecting their QB, then "HOUSTON WE GOT A PROBLEM".....HELLOOOOOO
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #45
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Figures McKinny wouldn't see a problem, he hasn't looked in the mirror yet.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #46
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Then there's this gem by Steve McKinney:

(On if David Carr had an unusual amount of pressure on him today) ďNo, I know some guys were getting beat, but itís going to happen like that. I donít think that it was unusual.Ē

Steve McKinney
Old 01-02-2005   #47
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I totally concur with aj, Carr forced alot of his own misfortune especially on the ends, instead of using his blockers as shields he turned them into plows & was constantly running to make a play & on 3rd long. That combined with the lack of pocket presence where simply stepping up in the pocket could help his guards recover lean & angle. I guess you could say Carr was mathematicaly challenged & failed his test. I'm not touching the paint incident

concerning booing, I don't like it & doubt if I where at the game would have done it, I much prefeer booing the officials even though today they called a good game. Guess the honeymoon is over for this expansion franchise, the reality of winning next year is apparent that will be the only way to get rid of the boo birds
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2005   #48
bigfan77801
Plebian

Rep Power: 375 bigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
seems like even Carr realized that this game deserved a "Boo" or two.
Does the above quote seem to suggest to anyone else that maybe DC is getting a little tired of the problems with the Oline? Or is it an indication that something else is going on?
bigfan77801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #49
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was thinking the same thing bigfan, after reading it a second time. It does seem to be one of those "read between the lines" kind of comment. Especially the
Quote:
We have to fix things in here first. The outside stuff is going to take care of itself.
line. Makes you wonder what kind of 'internal' stuff they need to fix doesn't it?

One thing I wish Carr himself would fix is the lack of 'Pocket Awareness' that he has exibited lately. Step up into the pocket and quite running like a jack rabbit out of it. Course with a Center that thinks that 6 sacks a game and multiple 'fight or flight' scenarios exibited by Carr today with the Browns pass rush is 'normal' it is easy to understand how Carr could be very nervous with this O-line.

Personally I don't support boo-ing your own team. But I can see the other side of this argument also and understand the fans desire to express their displeasure. I won't do it myself though. As exibited by Carr's quote, the team already knew how bad they played. The don't need their own fans to 'critique' it in such a vocal way as they did today, IMHO.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #50
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting quote by Carr. It's probably an offense vs. defense scenerio where one unit thinks the other isn't holding up its end of the bargain. But it could be that the players are not sold on the Domball system. Either way, I hope we see quite a few changes this offseason.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #51
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyTexan
I find it a little shocking too, but only because I haven't seen this by Houston fans before ...
it happens all the time elsewhere.
I haven't read the whole thread yet but I remember Dan Pastorini calling the Houston fans fickle when the same thing happened to him but in a bigger way early in his career. Sports fans in general are not a patient group. This isn't a new thing for Houston, just more of a snapshot at fan reaction in general I think as a whole. Fans want to win, and win now....and they are reactionary and vocal. Always have been like that I think.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #52
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Ah, kudos to starting this thread as this was one thing (well, among many) that stood out in this game.

Interesting quote from McKinney that he knows some guys were getting beat - he must've had plenty of time to watch his fellow linemen get beat after his rusher already passed him by.

I'm not sure if it's a different style, but interesting that the one play Banks was in he did a 3 step drop then stepped up into the pocket. Carr's style this game seemed to be more a 5 step drop then head further back and to the side. Banks didn't get a rush up the middle, where Carr seemed to always get the inside rush.

As for those that booed Carr coming back in.. y'all suck. Plain and simple. With little protection from the line, being sacked numerous times in your 3 nfl years, your team (coaches or players) unable to figure a cover 2, and about 1500 + pounds just waiting to come in and introduce you to the turf each play... I think you'd have some happy feet as well. As others noted above - you wanna boo.. aim it towards the O-line.

What to get in the offseason? A center, some TE's and a friggin pass rush on defense. Eveything else seems to be a good foundation.

Also, I'd like the TEXANS to be the underdogs in every game next season and EARN that "respect" they are searching for.. seems like they need to gain that back from the fans as well. No more 10 point favorites, thank you.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #53
TexansFan#80
Rookie

IMO, I think were booing Carr for some decisions he was making, but I also think the fans were getting frustrated. I mean this is Cleveland. We should have wiped the turf with these guys. I think everyone was thinking this game was a walk in the park for the Texans, then they played. I know I was very frustrated at the Texans passing game. DD should've had 200 yards rushing. We should have run the ball more.
TexansFan#80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #54
Txnpride
Veteran

I was in sec 140 row x I also was shocked to hear the boos coming from our crowd.The Q.B and Running back are going to be as good as the O-Line protects them.Obviously the O-line took a day off.......bad time to take a day off!!!!!!!!!!!
Txnpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #55
rdbrem
Rookie

Default Booing is pathetic

I don't care if the fans paid for their tickets or not. If you know the guys have given up, and are just laying down, then they deserve to be booed. But paying for tickets doesn't give anyone a RIGHT to boo somebody who's giving it what they've got.

I felt like there was a ton of 'leakage' of the o-line. I'm not excited about the play calling. I think they put too much emphasis on running DD, passing to DD. I think the defense seemed to wait until they were in the red zone before they got any fire in their bellies. The special teams blocking was not real good. (I'm used to watching the Chiefs, who know how to block for special teams). It was an ugly game to watch.

My guess is, if you'd replaced the worst two linemen with guys a lot better, they would have been cheering Carr off the field. And we would have won.

To be honest, I think most people who boo are too stupid to understand the game. The IQ of 'fans' who boo shows up in the last too letters, 00.

Yeah, I'm ticked...
Old 01-02-2005   #56
Cheroqui
Veteran

I don't think that's right. Carr needs time to throw the ball or make decisions. If anything the crowd should boo the O-line, which collapses too often for him to do anything. That might be the reason we stall out on points and are hard pressed for points every game. Look how long it took us to get 21 against the Jaggyuars last week, I mean damn... we had 14 for like 3 quarters. The D did well with a turnover pretty much every game but run-sopping is real soft and needs to tighen up.
Old 01-02-2005   #57
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I was proud of the fans for booing :P. The Texans deserved to be booed. They know they have great fans, and they need to realize that they REALLY let down the fans that have been supporting them so vehemently for the last 3 years.

I hope they were really freakin ashamed.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #58
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

This exact thing happened with the browns and couch. Just be happy the media isn't covering it like they did the Couch thing. I was a bit disapointed to hear that today, and I got a smile on my face when the boos turned to cheers when David had that big run.

This man played his heart out for you and it's pretty sick that he got booed (just like it was with timmy) I know you guys weren't the ones booing, but I just hated to hear that. I have so much respect for Dave, I just wish some of your fans did too.
Youngstown Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #59
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't agree with booing Carr after the sack induced injury (and his subsequent return). I do wish he'd make even a token atempt to look downfield while scrambling though. On more than one occasion, Carr took off for the sideline, never even turned his head upfield, and never once looked to see if a receiver had come open. This is where a big difference lies between Carr and the elite class of Favre, Culpepper, McNabb, Manning, (and even Roethlisburger) etc. - What do you do when it all starts breaking down....give up, or try to create?
I had little issue with booing the offense & coaching IN GENERAL today though...they both stunk! Let's not kid ourselves here, this was the 9-consecutive-loss Browns we're talking about.

I had the misfortune of expecting a 10+ point win today (and even MORE unfortunately predicting such to a.j. and gr8 before today's game). I still believe that's what should have happened.
disaacks3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #60
Texan Gal 312
Veteran

[quote=A4toZ]
I'm not sure if it's a different style, but interesting that the one play Banks was in he did a 3 step drop then stepped up into the pocket. Carr's style this game seemed to be more a 5 step drop then head further back and to the side. Banks didn't get a rush up the middle, where Carr seemed to always get the inside rush.

QUOTE]
Banks dumped it off to Davis for 5 yards. DD turned it into a 17 yard gain.
Dumping off to Davis is one of the biggest complaints on this board.
Texan Gal 312 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read