Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2005   #21
Harry Biped
Rookie

Booing Carr did not hurt him one bit. He gets paid millions of dollars to play a game. His skin should be thick enough to deal with it for that kind of money. Not to mention the fact that he is supposed to be the leader of the team. If he is not mature enough to take it, then we have much bigger problems than how he performed in one game. The fans have only so many ways to express themselves and after three disappointing seasons we are all getting more than a little frustrated. Remember the fans paid to be there, so they have every right to vent a little bit.
Harry Biped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #22
gwallaia

Rep Power: 79490 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Good points aj. In addition to the pathetic pass blocking by the Texans so called offesnive line, when Carr was running for his life, the receivers just stood there and watched. I watched Jabar Gaffney on a couple of plays just quit and stand therewhile Carr was scrambling. The receivers need to run back to the QB and help him out a bit.

But the offensive line is most to blame.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #23
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Houston fans -- they love you when you do good and they hate you when you do bad.
That's the way it is everywhere.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #24
Dubya
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia
But the offensive line is most to blame.
This is a problem everywhere. When a team does poorly, the QB always gets blamed for "not being good enough." But if the QB is spending 75% of the game or more on his back or scrambling to get out of bounds, how can you expect him to be effective? I don't have a problem with the fans booing on bad playcalling or all-around lack of effort. But to boo the quarterback because the O-Line can't protect him? That's punishing the wrong man.
Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #25
cmiller
Rookie

Texans Gal you are right. The fans pay the bills!!! They have a right to boo , hiss, yell, chant, etc.. This is an entertainment form not nuclear science or lab class. The protocol is to yell and scream---when it's good and when it's bad!!! Let's be Texan fans who , like Philly and others, show heart and emotion. And that means "booing" when a bum call is made, or a player like Carr consistently messes up. I played the game for years...believe me---booing will motivate!! It's like my coach at Chicago used to say, "There's nothing like the face of the gallows to motivate one's self". TRUE!!!!!!
cmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #26
whotex8
Rookie

This was the only game I was not able to go to this season. I gave up my tickets this morning.... didn't feel so hot, and slept through most of the game on and off. (kinda like our O-line).
Dont think DC deserves to be booed by our fans. He is not the entire team. Our offense showed up for about 8 or 9 games this season. Granted, DC has had his off days but even at his best....he can't do it alone, the offense has to be there for him. There's no excuse for so many sacks, you gotta protect the QB.

I agree with some previous posts...booing Carr or our own team in our own stadium doens't happen much. I don't think we should do it at all. Houston fans have a heck of alot more class than that. But I do understand the frustration.
Let's leave the booing to Non-Texans fans!
Darn, speaking of Non-Texans fans...those Jag-asses won the game.
(Here they come.........)
whotex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #27
Harry Biped
Rookie

Not to deflect blame from the O-line, because they certainly deserve it, but Carr is equally responsible for many of his sacks. His technique is not good at this point. He doesn't move his feet in the pocket and doesn't keep his head on a swivel, and any 8th grade football coach worth his salt will tell you that's how you get sacked. It's also a huge part of why he is off balance when he throws so many of his passes. He along with the rest of the team earned their boos today. It doesn't mean he won't get better. It just means that the fans think that its time for him to getter better. As of about 3:00 pm today, the honeymoon officially ended. Now it's time for Carr to prove himself next season.
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2005   #28
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr has responsibility in this (in terms of how he reacts to the pressure). It's not all on the OL. That's my point - along with it being fairly lame to boo your own QB after he gets flattened by a 300 pounder. Why not cheer the injury next time? Same thing.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #29
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya
This is a problem everywhere. When a team does poorly, the QB always gets blamed for "not being good enough." But if the QB is spending 75% of the game or more on his back or scrambling to get out of bounds, how can you expect him to be effective? I don't have a problem with the fans booing on bad playcalling or all-around lack of effort. But to boo the quarterback because the O-Line can't protect him? That's punishing the wrong man.
PERFECTLY said. I said it before, your QB is only as good as your o-line protecting him....What does that say for us???? Carr has been getting nailed left and right and gets right back up ready to play again...I have to say one thing about him, he is NOOO quitter...I admire that....Getting back into that game took balls knowing your hated at that moment by your fans,.....He needs protection to be effective...Not every QB is a Vick or MaCab, whos best at scrambling out of the pocket....
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #30
cmiller
Rookie

Default "Staring Down the Halls of the Gallows"

...A coach once said to me that there is NOTHING more motivating and refocusing than being reminded that one is staring down the halls of the gallows. So go ahead and Boo and show emotion, fans!!! Take it from a former player, negative responses are very, very motivating!!!! Especially when you are facing the gallows and your career is on the line which is what makes winners re focus. It's accountability . Do you think the best coaches out there aren't motivated by the fear of being fired????? Or the best players by being cut or benched?????
So, please fans, show emotion like Philly and others.
cmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #31
Harry Biped
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whotex8
This was the only game I was not able to go to this season. I gave up my tickets this morning.... didn't feel so hot, and slept through most of the game on and off. (kinda like our O-line).
Dont think DC deserves to be booed by our fans. He is not the entire team. Our offense showed up for about 8 or 9 games this season. Granted, DC has had his off days but even at his best....he can't do it alone, the offense has to be there for him. There's no excuse for so many sacks, you gotta protect the QB.

I agree with some previous posts...booing Carr or our own team in our own stadium doens't happen much. I don't think we should do it at all. Houston fans have a heck of alot more class than that. But I do understand the frustration.
Let's leave the booing to Non-Texans fans!
Darn, speaking of Non-Texans fans...those Jag-asses won the game.
(Here they come.........)
Booing your team does not make you a bad fan. It means that you care and choose to express your displeasure in a vocal way. That never hurt anything.
Old 01-02-2005   #32
fresno8
Veteran

When you only need 4 guys to cream the quaterback and have 7 to cover 3-4 recieving options it will always be hard to pass. Carr does make some bad decisions but evryone does.
fresno8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #33
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Biped
Booing your team does not make you a bad fan. It means that you care and choose to express your displeasure in a vocal way. That never hurt anything.
But the point i think most were making was that Carr was down, could have been seriously hurt with cracked ribs, bruised sternum?? To me, that was not a good time to express your feelings to your own hurt QB...
Old 01-02-2005   #34
Harry Biped
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansgal8
But the point i think most were making was that Carr was down, could have been seriously hurt with cracked ribs, bruised sternum?? To me, that was not a good time to express your feelings to your own hurt QB...
Can't disagree with that, but I don't think that the fans realized exactly what was going on at that point. All in all, it didn't hurt Carr or the rest of the team to be booed and those who booed, more than likely did so out of frustration in the heat of the moment, not malice. There are far too many #8 jersey floating around town to think that it was malicious.
Old 01-02-2005   #35
Texan Gal 312
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansgal8
I think the Giants screwed up taking him (Warner)out for Manning, i've seen him throw some awesome deep throws when he has good receivers to throw to, which the Giants didn't...I'm only saying Banks plays very simular to Carr so if he did finish the game, i still think he would have then taken the sacks just the same..

Warner was benched because in the Giants opinion he was holding the ball too long and taking too many sacks. He would never get a pass off here.
Texan Gal 312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #36
whotex8
Rookie

Exactly my point Txngal8.

Shhh! Don't tell anyone....
I was booing at home before I realized DC was hurt.
whotex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #37
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Gal 312
Warner was benched because in the Giants opinion he was holding the ball too long and taking too many sacks. He would never get a pass off here.
But watching Baby Manning play doesn't look much better to me, other then hes worse on throwing then Warner...I still think they jumped the gun...Baby's already taken some pretty good hits by Dallas..lol...
Old 01-02-2005   #38
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiller
...A coach once said to me that there is NOTHING more motivating and refocusing than being reminded that one is staring down the halls of the gallows. So go ahead and Boo and show emotion, fans!!! Take it from a former player, negative responses are very, very motivating!!!! Especially when you are facing the gallows and your career is on the line which is what makes winners re focus. It's accountability . Do you think the best coaches out there aren't motivated by the fear of being fired????? Or the best players by being cut or benched?????
So, please fans, show emotion like Philly and others.
Like Philly??

How many SuperBowl wins do the Eagles have?
How many World Series Championships do the Phillies have?
How many NBA titles do the Sixers have?

I fail to find the correlation between fans booing or cheering and a team winning a championship.

Lakers fans have long been recognized as nothing but glamour hounds that care more about looking good than cheering for their team. They seem to have had some recent success.

Believe me, the players on the field aren't worried because fans are booing.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #39
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
David Carr (on getting booed) ďIíd boo, too. From what we were putting on the field today, I was booing in the huddle. It was embarrassing. As the quarterback of the football team, that might lie on my shoulders, but thatís fine. What Iím more concerned about is fixing things inside the organization. I know I can speak for all the guys on my team that they put out as much effort as any team Iíve been around. We have to fix things in here first. The outside stuff is going to take care of itself. But we didnít go out and do anything deserving of any praise.Ē
seems like even Carr realized that this game deserved a "Boo" or two.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #40
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking of quotes, read Billy Miller's quotes further down the page..

Then there's this gem by Steve McKinney:

(On if David Carr had an unusual amount of pressure on him today) ďNo, I know some guys were getting beat, but itís going to happen like that. I donít think that it was unusual.Ē

Last edited by aj.; 01-02-2005 at 08:55 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read