Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-10-2008   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why it all comes down to the defense

Have you ever wondered why some teams can plug just about anybody in and make them look like a probowler? Have you ever wondered why some bad teams can add one key player or have just one more offseason and suddenly contend for the playoffs?

I have, and after watching yesterdays game, I finally understand why: As AI would say, its all about PRACTICE. And in our case, as usual, this comes down to defense.

Throughout the course of our offseason, all we heard from Gary Kubiak and co. was about protecting the football. That was the mantra repeated over and over again, ad nauseum. It even made a token appearance on the shorts of our practice uniforms. Now, months later, whats the latest result? Our quarterback throws 4 interceptions and gives up a safety.

Somethings not right.

I started trying to figure out how our quarterbacks could throw so many interceptions, while rookies like Joe Flacco have gone nearly 4 games without throwing a single one. What makes our quarterbacks, who should be performing better, fall so far behind the curve?

And then I realized the answer. Its our defense. If you watched the Baltimore game yesterday, you saw a Baltimore offense take a ton of shots down the field. We saw the same thing against Minnesota. Most teams are wary of these throws because they come with a low chance of being completed and a relatively high chance of being intercepted.

Not against the Texans. For whatever reason, our defensive players have been instructed to play the receiver, and not the ball. I've watched Reeves run step for step with a receiver and never locate the ball. We've marched out safety after safety, and I've seen the same thing with all of them. And I saw Greenwood do it yesterday as well. Whats the result? At best, our defender knocks down the ball. At worst, we allow a "great catch" or get hit with a pass interference. Notice that turnover was not one of the options.

In addition to making this extremely easy for opposing defenses to rack up huge point totals against us, think about the other problems it entails. In practice, Schaub and Sage play with our offense against our defense. They can throw the ball into double coverage, and probably end up with a great play. They have loft one up there and watch AJ come down with it. Why? Because we don't have defenders who play the ball. I bet in practice, Schaub and Sage both look great protecting the football.

Then comes gameday. Suddenly, the opposing defenders aren't Jacques Reeves and Morlon Greenwood. A tight throw into double coverage is picked off. A lob up the middle is swatted and picked. "How can this be? It was so easy in practice?"

Meanwhile, Joe Flacco, who practices against a team full of ballhawks goes into Reliant and has a field day. The defense he practices against is heads and shoulders above ours. "Wow, this game is easy!"

And so it all comes down to defense and practice. Our defense is really bad. They are coached exceedingly poorly. You can see it in their gameplay. They don't make smart moves. They have talent, but they can't use it effectively consistently. And as such, our offense takes steps backwards every time we try and take a step forward. The scary thing is that this isn't limited to the passing game vs our secondary. Its evident in every part of our team.
Old 11-10-2008   #2
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80155 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why it all comes down to the defense

Your post makes a lot of sense. The fact we have so few picks on defense is enough proof that we don't play the ball. That ridiculous PI that Greenwood made yesterday would've been a pick by any other LB if he was playing the damn ball. Very good post and I can see how playing against our horrible defense in practice won't translate come game time playing against a real NFL D.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel like its the same reason our OL was so terrible in the Capers years---we never had a pass rush. So our OL thought they were great, until gameday came along and the yactually had to defend an NFL caliber defensive unit
Old 11-10-2008   #4
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Good post. Part of the reason teams are able to throw deep is that we can't get pressure - it takes time for those routes to develop. The d-line also isn't good enough to stop the run without safety help. If we stack the line against the run as we did against the Vikings, well, you know what happened.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #5
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6672 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

NOt only a good post, but, an Excellent post. I agree with you 100%.

Do you ever get tired of watching the opposing team smiling and laughing during the game? They are having a great time. Running up stats and looking like HOF players at every position.

If I were a coach and had the opportunity to play the Texans, it would be bombs away from the opening whistle. Not only do we not play the ball, we make grammar school attempts at arm tackling.
Old 11-11-2008   #6
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice post gtexan02, makes a lot of sense, we need talent across the board on defense
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

great post, I gotta spread rep around.

I have a feeling we're going to draft some defensive guys early this next year, Frank Bush will become the new DC and our whole team but in particular our defense is going to be embarrassed and pissed off after this season. I see the defense being a complete 180 next year if these things occur.

I think our team is better than we have been in the past but we still need to get some more key players. More importantly, I think this players have so much potential they are finally going to stand up and have a "players only" meeting and say that they are all playing like crap and that the texans are a joke again. I think the players need to stand up and play with some more attitude and the defense needs to play with more passion- try to kill the ball carrier every play.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-11-2008   #8
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
great post, I gotta spread rep around.

I have a feeling we're going to draft some defensive guys early this next year, Frank Bush will become the new DC and our whole team but in particular our defense is going to be embarrassed and pissed off after this season. I see the defense being a complete 180 next year if these things occur.

I think our team is better than we have been in the past but we still need to get some more key players. More importantly, I think this players have so much potential they are finally going to stand up and have a "players only" meeting and say that they are all playing like crap and that the texans are a joke again. I think the players need to stand up and play with some more attitude and the defense needs to play with more passion- try to kill the ball carrier every play.
If they want Bush as DC, they better fire Smith and let us see what he can do now. People arent gonna like it if we go the whole year with a shitty DC, then promote from on the staff a guy who we have seen none of.
Old 11-11-2008   #9
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Umm Flacco has a bigger better O line protecting him

i havent re watched the tape but i bet on some plays our O line Crumbled

also Flacco has a running game to back him up alla when they ran the ball down our throat in the 3rd qtr

and lets just put it this way the ravens are a better team then us on all 3 phases of the ball

also i think the word is out i think every team knows our weekness point our secondary just throw rockets from the start of the whistle ... they know we cant stop it
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #10
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Umm Flacco has a bigger better O line protecting him

i havent re watched the tape but i bet on some plays our O line Crumbled

also Flacco has a running game to back him up alla when they ran the ball down our throat in the 3rd qtr

and lets just put it this way the ravens are a better team then us on all 3 phases of the ball

also i think the word is out i think every team knows our weekness point our secondary just throw rockets from the start of the whistle ... they know we cant stop it
yep. that's it in a nutshell.
Remember, it was just year before last that Baltimore posted a 13-3 record. Most of the core guys who posted that record are still there. And remember, also, that Baltimore won a Super Bowl with a "whodat" at QB.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #11
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Have you ever wondered why some teams can plug just about anybody in and make them look like a probowler? Have you ever wondered why some bad teams can add one key player or have just one more offseason and suddenly contend for the playoffs?

I have, and after watching yesterdays game, I finally understand why: As AI would say, its all about PRACTICE. And in our case, as usual, this comes down to defense.

Throughout the course of our offseason, all we heard from Gary Kubiak and co. was about protecting the football. That was the mantra repeated over and over again, ad nauseum. It even made a token appearance on the shorts of our practice uniforms. Now, months later, whats the latest result? Our quarterback throws 4 interceptions and gives up a safety.

Somethings not right.

I started trying to figure out how our quarterbacks could throw so many interceptions, while rookies like Joe Flacco have gone nearly 4 games without throwing a single one. What makes our quarterbacks, who should be performing better, fall so far behind the curve?

And then I realized the answer. Its our defense. If you watched the Baltimore game yesterday, you saw a Baltimore offense take a ton of shots down the field. We saw the same thing against Minnesota. Most teams are wary of these throws because they come with a low chance of being completed and a relatively high chance of being intercepted.

Not against the Texans. For whatever reason, our defensive players have been instructed to play the receiver, and not the ball. I've watched Reeves run step for step with a receiver and never locate the ball. We've marched out safety after safety, and I've seen the same thing with all of them. And I saw Greenwood do it yesterday as well. Whats the result? At best, our defender knocks down the ball. At worst, we allow a "great catch" or get hit with a pass interference. Notice that turnover was not one of the options.

In addition to making this extremely easy for opposing defenses to rack up huge point totals against us, think about the other problems it entails. In practice, Schaub and Sage play with our offense against our defense. They can throw the ball into double coverage, and probably end up with a great play. They have loft one up there and watch AJ come down with it. Why? Because we don't have defenders who play the ball. I bet in practice, Schaub and Sage both look great protecting the football.

Then comes gameday. Suddenly, the opposing defenders aren't Jacques Reeves and Morlon Greenwood. A tight throw into double coverage is picked off. A lob up the middle is swatted and picked. "How can this be? It was so easy in practice?"

Meanwhile, Joe Flacco, who practices against a team full of ballhawks goes into Reliant and has a field day. The defense he practices against is heads and shoulders above ours. "Wow, this game is easy!"

And so it all comes down to defense and practice. Our defense is really bad. They are coached exceedingly poorly. You can see it in their gameplay. They don't make smart moves. They have talent, but they can't use it effectively consistently. And as such, our offense takes steps backwards every time we try and take a step forward. The scary thing is that this isn't limited to the passing game vs our secondary. Its evident in every part of our team.
excellent.
rep for you.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

The DBs for the most part HAVE to play the receiver and not the ball because otherwise you are going to lose your guy.

That being said, our DBs have terrible ball sense. Some players just have that, but I think a lot of this is on coaching.

And there are just too many times where key receivers on teams get wide open due to secondary-linebackers not being where they are supposed to be. TEs and RBs repeatedly get big catches for opposing offenses because I don't think the Texans defensive scheme is well integrated. I think it is just a bunch of pieces and parts trying really hard, but not working together very well.

According to Football Outsiders, they are 32nd in the league with pass catching RBs and 23rd in the league against the TE. They are 32nd in the league against what FO calls #2 WR, but the Texans don't typically match up DBs to receivers--they play sides.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read