Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-09-2008   #1
forcefollow
Rookie

Rep Power: 229 forcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respected
Default So who can the Texans get in the draft.

Here is how I prioritize the draft choices by position.

1. QB
2. DT
3. CB
4. LB

I think the other areas and they are many can be taken care of in free agency.

2 and 3 could be flipped maybe but QB is a lock for the first pick next year.
forcefollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #2
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So who can the Texans get in the draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefollow View Post

1. QB
2. DT
3. CB
4. LB

I doubt they pick a QB with their first round pick
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #3
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point I'm willing to look at a QB with a high pick, but I've been demoralized by watching our secondary for 6+ years now...I want us to draft a CB or S with our #1 myself. Then a QB or LB.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #4
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

1-QB---I wished.

1-OLB / Brandon Spikes, Aaron Curry
2-DE / George Selvie, Tyson Jackson
3-S / Rashad Johnson
4-RG/C / Eric Wood, Max Unger
5-DT
6-BPA
7-BPA
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #5
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

what we need is some kind of qb that is a great decision maker who doesn't turn the ball over with a great arm and acuarate. if he was also big enough to block on run plays that would help. he also needs to be able to deep snap, we've had some problems in that area as well. he has to be able to rush the qb as well as take up interior lineman on the running plays. it would be a plus if he could tackle and have enough speed to cover the tight ends out of the back field. actually he would have to have a 5th gear so he could cover wide recievers in certain situations. he might as well be able to punt the ball since turk will not last forever. he must have a background in defensive philosiphy so he could help coach the defense during the week. he should have some head coaching experience maybe helping out in little league. hopefully his dad owned a large business so he could advise mcnair from time to time. a phd in communications is a must so we can get some fans back. hopefully he will be good at directions(sometimes i cant find my seat)

i think that will about do it for our 1st pick.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefollow View Post

1. QB
2. DT
3. CB
4. LB

I made a comment in another thread about drafting a QB in the mid rounds to sit behind Schaub for a year or two and spending some premium picks on interior offensive linemen .... I'd put the Texans draft needs as follows

1) OLB / DE could also take ILB moving Ryans outside , fill the other need via FA
2) OG (Brisel isnt starting material)
3)QB/C
4)C/QB
5-7) anything after round 4 is probably a crap shoot at best .... BPA

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 214832 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Look, I know everyone thinks we need a QB but I just don't think that is the case. I think Schaub is exactly what Kubiak wants at QB and if the Texans could ever start running the ball with some degree of consistency then he'd be everything you could ask for in a signal caller.

Trying to run this offense with only 15 running plays per game is insanity. This "pass to setup the run" thing everyone expects isn't going to work for a zone blocking team. We try to pass first and they bring the house. Our offensive line can't keep them all out without a credible running threat and so we fail before the run is ever "setup".

We need a running back who can move the chains. We need a center who can hold his own against the big nose tackles. We need one more guy on the defensive line who can get to the QB because without him Mario is just going to be good enough to get to some Pro Bowls but his sacks are never going to affect the outcome of games.

We need Jon Hoke and Richard Smith on the first bus out of town in a bad way but as much as that we need next coordinator on that side of the ball to get it right because we're wasting careers here. I don't want to see Mario, DeMeco, and Dunta all getting good statistical production while playing on a crap defense that never stops anybody. These guys will leave eventually because nobody wants to play on a perennial loser forever.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2008   #8
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans need to draft a Heart in the first and a brain in the second...
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #9
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I made a comment in another thread about drafting a QB in the mid rounds to sit behind Schaub for a year or two and spending some premium picks on interior offensive linemen .... I'd put the Texans draft needs as follows

1) OLB / DE could also take ILB moving Ryans outside , fill the other need via FA
2) OG (Brisel isnt starting material)
3)QB/C
4)C/QB
5-7) anything after round 4 is probably a crap shoot at best .... BPA
If you don't draft a QB at the top of the 09 draft, then forget about drafting a QB at all. This is such a weak class, its not even funny. It barely edge the 02 class, and thats only if the underclassmen comes out. I don't even want to think about it if the top QB is Rhett freakin Bomar.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
If you don't draft a QB at the top of the 09 draft, then forget about drafting a QB at all. This is such a weak class, it barely edge the 02 class. And thats only if the underclassmen comes out, I don't even want to think about it if the top QB is Rhett freakin Bomar.

There are a couple guy's I could envision falling to the 3rd - 4th round that have potential ..... One of those is TT's Graham Harrell.

Old 11-09-2008   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92342 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
There are a couple guy's I could envision falling to the 3rd - 4th round that have potential ..... One of those is TT's Graham Harrell.
I think hes a grat college QB but hell be lucky to get drafted in the 4th round, more likely late 5th or 6th imo. Bradford is this years Matt Ryan. IMO he is sthe best QB in this draft should he declare. He is worthy of a top 5 pick.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #12
jamil
Rookie

We need to stop drafting "raw" projects as a first round pick. This team is in desperate need of an impact safety, and a new defensive coordinator.
jamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #13
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Look, I know everyone thinks we need a QB but I just don't think that is the case. I think Schaub is exactly what Kubiak wants at QB and if the Texans could ever start running the ball with some degree of consistency then he'd be everything you could ask for in a signal caller.

Trying to run this offense with only 15 running plays per game is insanity. This "pass to setup the run" thing everyone expects isn't going to work for a zone blocking team. We try to pass first and they bring the house. Our offensive line can't keep them all out without a credible running threat and so we fail before the run is ever "setup".

We need a running back who can move the chains. We need a center who can hold his own against the big nose tackles. We need one more guy on the defensive line who can get to the QB because without him Mario is just going to be good enough to get to some Pro Bowls but his sacks are never going to affect the outcome of games.

We need Jon Hoke and Richard Smith on the first bus out of town in a bad way but as much as that we need next coordinator on that side of the ball to get it right because we're wasting careers here. I don't want to see Mario, DeMeco, and Dunta all getting good statistical production while playing on a crap defense that never stops anybody. These guys will leave eventually because nobody wants to play on a perennial loser forever.
when he gets injured you want to rely on sage?
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

I dont disagree with you at all (unbelievable aint it?) BUT If they cant protect Schaub any better than they have over the past two seasons we're going to get more of the same .... Schaub on the bench. C and RG are my top priority on the offensive side of the ball .... But if Schaub is going to spend half the season on the bench there has to be someone ready to fill his spot (Sage again next year ?)

Old 11-10-2008   #15
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Himm i hope its like this

1 OLB
2 FS/CB
3 Ofensive Guard
4 Punter-someone to replace Turk -maybe even flip it to pick 3 if we can find a really good one

I dont think we should gett rookies to help us on FS and CB and SS because they will be now better then what we have now we will leave that to FA

so i see going into the season having 3 or 2 QB

1 Matt
2 Sage
3 Nall

Last edited by Norg; 11-10-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #16
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Odds are we keep Kubiak if he gets to the 6-8 win mark to end the season.

If that happens, then that means we are keeping the QBs we've got. Too much is invested in Schaub and he was on quite the roll before the Jared Allen cheapshots. Even took some big shots and got back up to finish the game. The jury is out on whether or not he's injury prone. But I think he proved he's got the heart and toughness to play QB for this football team.

The Dolphins game is a prime example of that. He threw 2 INTs early in that game. Rosenfels would've folded up like a lawnchair at that point but Matt stuck it out and proceeded to hang 379 on the Dolphins and run in the game winning td despite being harassed by Joey Porter all day.

If we dont keep Kubiak however....

Schaub's not the new coaches' "guy". This means we use our most likely very high draft choice to draft a "Franchise QB" and have Matt start while the # 1 pick is groomed and while the OL/running game gets up to snuff enough so the new QB doesn't get killed.

Or he brings in a veteran like we should've done in 06 when Drew Brees was on the market.
Old 11-10-2008   #17
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i woldnt mind keeping Matt along for a while honestly

i dont want to make the same mastike twice in not keeping your stable Lame not has good QB while your rebuliding you team alla David carr who i think left a year and a half 2 early

but i wouldnt be aganist trading matt and Nall keeping sage has a Backup

and getting a very good vet alla a dream grab like

Brett Farve
Jeff garcia
Chad plamer
Kerry Collins
David carr :P
Maybe even vince young if we can get him for cheap
Old 11-10-2008   #18
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i woldnt mind keeping Matt along for a while honestly

i dont want to make the same mastike twice in not keeping your stable Lame not has good QB while your rebuliding you team alla David carr who i think left a year and a half 2 early
but i wouldnt be aganist trading matt and Nall keeping sage has a Backup

and getting a very good vet alla a dream grab like

Brett Farve
Jeff garcia
Chad plamer
Kerry Collins
David carr :P
Maybe even vince young if we can get him for cheap
If anything Carr left a year and a half too late. He was damaged goods by mid 05.
Old 11-10-2008   #19
Norg
Hall of Fame

And at this point Matt is damanged goods for reals :P by mid 08

did we really need to waste 2 2nd round draft picks and a hole lot of money for this ....

we might has well took our licks with carr while we re rebuild
Old 11-10-2008   #20
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
And at this point Matt is damanged goods for reals :P by mid 08

did we really need to waste 2 2nd round draft picks and a hole lot of money for this ....

we might has well took our licks with carr while we re rebuild
Matt was playing as well as any QB in the NFL the last month right along with AJ up until Allen took out his knee. Yet he's damaged goods? Last I saw, that was Sage having the meltdown today and in the Indy game.

When has Carr EVER had a stretch where he played among the best at his position? What has Carr done in his time with us that showed that he could do anything other than go fetal before he takes serious punishment?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read