Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-09-2008   #1
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42267 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A Kubiak coached team.

I have heard all of the arguments and I have heard all the opinions of others. Some say that not all of a loss can be blamed on the coach. Some say the coach is 100% to blame.

IMO, a Head Coach's job is to prepare for a game, get his players prepared for a game, motivate his players, and make them believe in the system. A Head Coach's responsibility is to instill faith in what they are doing and putting his players in a position to succeed.

Kubiak has done none of that.

Last year we went 8-8 against a very soft schedule. This year, while not as easy of a schedule as last year, is still not the monster that we all thought it was going to be.

All we have done under Kubiak is lose the games we are supposed to lose and lose close games and the games we are supposed to win. We go on the road and get embarrassed and come home and get embarrassed.

Kubiak constantly talks of turning the corner as though there are still obstacles in his way. The first two years of his reign he spoke about his team and continued to talk about still needing a long way to go. It seems to me he is always looking for that perfect team instead of being able to coach the team that he has.

There is no perfect team. There will always be holes. What separates a good coach from a bad coach is being able to get more from less, or being able to make chicken salad from chicken turds.

This team has talent. How do you have OD, AJ, Slaton, Green, Walter, Leach and manage less than 100 yards for a game rushing and only 13 points?

Everything begins and ends with coaching.

Kubiak is a good OC but a bad HC.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #2
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: A Kubiak coached team.

I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 11-09-2008   #3
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Kubiak is a good OC but a bad HC.
I don't even know that he's a good OC. He didn't even call the plays in Denver.

Seems to me that he was more of a QB coach in Denver while Shanny ran the offense (kinda like the Shanny over here.) I guess he was a good QB coach, but guys like Steve Young and John Elway can make those duties look pretty easy.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #4
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Get a proven winner in here NOW like Cowher or Marty. We win 11 games guaranteed with either of them leading the helm. Cowher will be a reach since he would have more attractive options but Marty is a guy we can get IMO. McNair needs to open up his warchest and spend some damn money on getting a proven coaching staff here NOW. FIX IT NOW!
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #5
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
Get a proven winner in here NOW like Cowher or Marty. We win 11 games guaranteed with either of them leading the helm. Cowher will be a reach since he would have more attractive options but Marty is a guy we can get IMO. McNair needs to open up his warchest and spend some damn money on getting a proven coaching staff here NOW. FIX IT NOW!
I see everyone throwing around Marty and Cowher, what are some other possible options? I remember wanting either Kubiak or Kirk Ferentz during the last coaching search, whats everyone's opinion on him, or are we not prepared to go with another first time NFL head coach? (Ferentz is the head coach at Iowa for those that don't know)
Old 11-09-2008   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 73652 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I don't even know that he's a good OC. He didn't even call the plays in Denver.

Seems to me that he was more of a QB coach in Denver while Shanny ran the offense (kinda like the Shanny over here.) I guess he was a good QB coach, but guys like Steve Young and John Elway can make those duties look pretty easy.
he had taken over playcalling when denver won it's superbowls and shanahan said kubiak deserves that credit for the broncos getting there.

Last edited by Scooter; 11-09-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #7
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets get Jim Mora in here. Then when RJ asks the question in regards to playoffs, we will all have something to laugh about together, at RJ's expense.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2008   #8
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowher took a team to the Superbowl with THIS GUY as his QB

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

A Kubiak coached team turns the ball over constantly, especially at the QB position.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #10
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

What's wrong with this guy?

He has the same number of S/B rings as Cowher.
I'd bet he'd rebuild our defense

...wait, in order to be rebuilt, there had to be a structure to begin with...

He'd focus on defense.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #11
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 73652 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
What's wrong with this guy?

He has the same number of S/B rings as Cowher.
I'd bet he'd rebuild our defense

...wait, in order to be rebuilt, there had to be a structure to begin with...

He'd focus on defense.

an offensive coach that couldnt put together an offense? billick has done something that kubiak hasnt shown to do however and that's build a stronger defensive staff or make them accountable. kubiak also didnt inherit ray lewis and the type of defensive talent that was already built to go to a superbowl http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/rav/1998.htm. we're not adding to that talent, we're drafting them.
Old 11-09-2008   #12
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

But the vast majority of you voted that he should get another year.

Not me. Sage played awful, so this isn't me hanging this loss on Kubiak. But I find it funny that those who pledged allegiance to Kubiak, saying he can "get us to the promised land," are beginning to get a little irritated with Kubiak.

This season is done.
Old 11-09-2008   #13
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42267 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
But the vast majority of you voted that he should get another year.

Not me. Sage played awful, so this isn't me hanging this loss on Kubiak. But I find it funny that those who pledged allegiance to Kubiak, saying he can "get us to the promised land," are beginning to get a little irritated with Kubiak.

This season is done.
I voted to get rid of him. We have seen the best that Kubiak is gonna give us.

We have talent on this team and it constantly gets misused week after week.

I say bring back the man in black!

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #14
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
an offensive coach that couldnt put together an offense? billick has done something that kubiak hasnt shown to do however and that's build a stronger defensive staff or make them accountable. kubiak also didnt inherit ray lewis and the type of defensive talent that was already built to go to a superbowl http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/rav/1998.htm. we're not adding to that talent, we're drafting them.
Fair enough.
So why do we expect playoff caliber performance if we know that we don't have playoff caliber personnel. As bad as our defense sucks, we can't afford any mistakes or turnovers.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #15
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

The Man in BLACK!
Old 11-09-2008   #16
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Fair enough. So why do we expect playoff caliber performance if we know that we don't have playoff caliber personnel
because we're fans and every year is "our year".

Quote:
As bad as our defense sucks, we can't afford any mistakes or turnovers.
that's the meat of it. we cant afford the turnovers and they're killing us. BUT we cant sit and "manage the game" because we dont have a defense yet. we cant put tony banks out there for 143 yards per game safely to a superbowl win. without a defense (of which we only inherited dunta robinson), we have to take excessive chances to put up points and because we also didnt inherit anything on the offensive side but pitts and johnson, we're in a tough situation to both build and be perfect at the same time. considering the points we're putting up with schaub, we're ahead of the curve on one side.
Old 11-09-2008   #17
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fair enough.
So why do we expect playoff caliber performance if we know that we don't have playoff caliber personnel. As bad as our defense sucks, we can't afford any mistakes or turnovers.
I can't speak for others but seeing the success of guys like Sparano in Miami and Smith in Atlanta, teams that were worse and supposedly less talented than us last year is heartbreaking.
Old 11-09-2008   #18
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fair enough.
But we keep on drafting defense anyway and we keep signing defensive free agents to big contracts.

How many more years should it take to turn around a defense when it keeps getting addressed every single offseason?
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #19
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
But we keep on drafting defense anyway and we keep signing defensive free agents to big contracts.

How many more years should it take to turn around a defense when it keeps getting addressed every single offseason?
start with dunta robinson, morlon greenwood, and travis johnson, dump and eat cap on almost everything casserly did on both sides of the ball, and you tell me. 3 seasons, who do you have? remember, you're replacing 9 starters on offense in the mean time (or starting sage/carr).
Old 11-09-2008   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
start with dunta robinson, morlon greenwood, and travis johnson, dump and eat cap on almost everything casserly did on both sides of the ball, and you tell me. 3 seasons, who do you have? remember, you're replacing 9 starters on offense in the mean time (or starting sage/carr).
I want to know how Casserly will be responsible for this team (barring a very un-Texan run) being worse than last year, how he was responsible for the team quitting today, and why he didn't let Kubiak use a time out or three at the end of the half today to help try to score.

Some of the talent level/lack of depth issues can be traced directly to Kubiak moves: wasted roster spots (Flanagan, Bedell, Black, Moulds, Weaver, etc.), trading two second round picks, and so on.

With so much of the roster turned over and the team still spiraling down hill, we may have to consider why Kubiak and Smith didn't keep more players from the 7-9 team.

The Capers/Casserly boogieman needs to be dropped; Kubiak has already opened his three envelopes.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read